Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

Short Story : Maria (the Game Beyond Me) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Short Story : Maria (the Game Beyond Me) (822 Views)

Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) / Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun / Maria: The Sequel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Short Story : Maria (the Game Beyond Me) by dammyd46(m): 11:18pm On Jun 14, 2019
This is a short story (I hope) first attempt at it
This is a work of fiction

Written after reading so many stories here from great writers.

Dedicated to a childhood friend and a brother from a different mother (Bro Demeji) continue to rest with the lord.

MARIA (THE GAME BEYOND ME)

1 :

I doubt anyone will win this, So let the games begin.

My name is Demije Adewale am an insurer with Zesco insurance Plc. Light skinned ,Your modern day kind of superman but more handsome, I don't like the term yoruba demon but am a gifted smooth talker anyday anytime and a full time player. I grew up understanding the word "LOVE" as being the most ridiculous statement ever, like it was so easy to tell anyone i love you in the sweetest format with even saying it and within minutes he/she is already pants down with you.

But something drastically changed my whole story.
A group of five friends, Tunde badmus ( my best friend, my go to guy for the latest format and technique back then in skull ) Michael smith ( young sugar daddy, son of Donald smith an oil magnet) Dotun Adekoya( our genius friend a doctor in the making) Deji Cole ( the young milionaire) and then the lucky me.

Tunde, Deji and i both went to the same school. We met Micheal at a three days charity event we got invited to by a woman tunde had hooked up with, Tunde been the life of the party quickly became close pal with micheal and that's how we became friends. We met Dotun at a clinic close to the area of the charity event after Michael got drunk celebrating his new found friends on the last day. Everything seemed like magic but before we knew it we were all hanging out every Friday night/ Saturday. There was no weekend we didn't hangout even when Michael's Dad gave him an appointment it abuja we all made the trip together.
It was easy for us most times micheal took care of the bills and some night we just table it to anyone. Dotun was always there to cover our health called us for check-in once in a month and always gave us what to use after a wrong encounter ( you know what i mean).

Early 2018

I was driving to work in my benz E300 when Dotun called to tell me about a lady that just snubbed micheal despite all his sweet words i was surprised cause we never failed to woo any woman over, it was like we were born with it. The words to use, the appearance, the manner of approach, the format everything was there in our system so micheal's failure came as a shock. Immediately after work that day i drove down to Michael's house to hear the remaining part of the gist.
According to what he said the approach was good the word's were perfect but she just didn't click even Dotun verified this cause it was right in front of him this happened.

Tunde spoke first he was bent on knowing this girl that refused to be wooed. We never recorded any failure he lamented. So we all got into my car and deji's Bentley Continental. We drove down to a near by bar just to chill out the frustration but as luck would have it, it was closed. We decided to do a U-turn back home when deji said we could all go chill at the mall. Micheal was down all trough the drive to the mall it wasn't our go area but the way micheal story played in our head we all couldn't stay indoor the rejection was so bad that we felt like it happened to us, micheal couldn't even get her name. She played on every word he used.

By 7;30 we were all at the mall's bar siping down a glass of martini in mall bar no one said nothing. Even i couldn't phantom any reason why it happened. We all were lost in thought that we couldn't hear Michael call us. Until the second time.

Micheal ; (silently) guys, guys that's her. That's the girl who shut me up. Thats her

I looked to see the most beautiful creature man has ever laid eyes on. she was everything our jaw dropped
I don't even know how to start in describing her, she had the perfect shape (curvy the coke bottle kind of shape), she had long hair, Her hair was midnight-black and it flowed over her shoulders ,with dark skin tones, She had honey sweet lips that i could tell with the way she spoke to the waiter. It took the strength of micheal and dotun to draw tunde back from approaching her.

It took the buzz of my phone to bring me back to reality. By the time we made the next move she was long gone now i know why she dropped you deji said. She is fu#king dead Gorgeous, we all ran down to the corner she just left.
micheal snapped at the waiter, who was shining his teeth for no reason as he walked down. Goodevening guy he said Can i take your order. Dotun spoke first we are here for a different thing. Can we get any information on the lady that just left now. The waiters face changed like we just asked for his kidney.
Am sorry he said. Its against the company policy for us to give out customers information. Micheal quickly interrupted him i will give 10grand if you tell us (while dipping his hands in his pocket). Just like a criminal about to confess his sins in an interrogation room after seeing micheal count the 1000 notes he had.

Waiter: the only thing i have here is her name and her number cause she paid with her card and she was waiting for someone who never showed up.
Whats her name we all asked
Maria he said
MARIA COLE

Thanks Micheal said after dropping the notes on the waiter's tab. Walking back to the car looking defeated, deji words brought back little hope for the guys not for me. Atleast we have a name and a number.
tunde: I can start from there
Michael: start from where, you better don't day dream
Deji: (laughing) you guys must be joking
Dotun: why argue over just one lady
Tunde: i bet even if they gave you the number you would still not win her over
Michael: do you want to bet
Tunde: A bet it is
Deji: Nice
Dotun: Money won't make this bet interesting, whoever wins becomes don here, king of all players........................

Sir kayo80 I had to write one myself.
Re: Short Story : Maria (the Game Beyond Me) by dammyd46(m): 11:20pm On Jun 14, 2019
2:

The guys taking decision on someone who is going to get her pissed me off. I just wanted to go home shower and just get past this day. We all went back to Michael's house to crash cause the weekend was finally here. I don't know about others but Maria's face kept coming to me in my dreams funny as it seems most of us had the same dream except micheal who was nowhere to be found, after checking the whole house, we found out his car wasn't even in the drive way he had gone out to look for Maria, deji said. And we all burst out laughing.

The day was very slow since micheal was out with no traces, about 2pm micheal drove in looking exhausted he told us he gone to chill at the same eatery where we saw Maria hoping to see her return. If i had to place a bet i would give it to tunde i said even deji joined but Dotun supported micheal saying he was hardworking while laughing at him. Later in the day, Tunde showed us how powerful and well connected he was in the game when he called one of his ladies(Derby) to come over to Michael's house with her friends. Our Saturday was made with that one call even micheal rejoiced with us. About 1hour later the house was crazy with girls and liquor. Dotun pulled out for the day saying he had an appointment with some patients. As luck would have it derby showed up with four of her friends. Tunde took derby micheal got 2, deji and I got 1 each. It was a blissful evening for me she made all my boring morning worth the wait i couldn't even tell where she was from didn't even ask for her name. They all left after 5:30pm. About quarter past eight we all went to our different houses.

Weeks passed without anymore seeing or finding anything about MARIA. On a Tuesday Afternoon at work while working on a companies monthly Insurance debt my secretary walked in to inform that a particular company had sent their Pr agent over so we could help them tackle their insurance problem i told her to allow the agent in while i rose to adjust the dayblind cause the sun decided to pay me a little visit, then came a tap on the door with me responding for the person to come in.

Good afternoon were the words that came with the sweetest feminine voice as pure and sweet as if from heaven. Turning to see who spoke stunned me.
There was Maria who had given my friend's and I sleepless night.
She was drop dead Gorgeous, She had shiny, halo-white teeth, her smile was mind blowing, her long hair was ebony-black, her lips were inviting. She stretched out her hand for a shake her hand was soft her touch was warm i had to fight the hurge not to hold her too long.

While she spoke i couldn't stop staring at her I doubt if i picked anything she said cause my eyes never left her face staring from her eyes to her lips down to her neck. I swear in my mind i might have made love to her. When i finally came back to my senses, I would be here tomorrow to bring the document so we can fix a date for the meeting she said. What meeting i asked looking confused. Then came that smile, the one that could make any man melt on his feet.
Maria: we will continue this tomorrow
Me : Okay

Maria: (Standing to leave ) Thank you for your time Mr
Me: Mr Adewale
I couldn't even stand to say my goodbye. Like she knew she had an effect on me she gave me that smile again as she closed the door. DEM, I sat on the same spot for like 30minute without moving just looking at the door. How could someone be this beautiful, I could boldly say she was perfect when it came to her physical looks. I wanted to call the guys to tell them i found her but it set in to me that i can also chase this game too. I am not a selfish person i but wanted her for myself, myself alone.

7:34 pm same day.

I am not a fan of the lagos traffic but today's traffic was bliss to me it gave me time to replay the short moment i just had with Maria.I couldn't just just focus on anything when i got home, Maria's thought was also in my head.

Next day

I don't know how i did it but i made it to work very early the next morning early enough to see the junior staffs resuming. I felt i wasn't prepared for Maria's arrival when she showed up so i had to buckle things up. My secretary looked surprised when she saw i was already at work at 7.25 am. Not that i got to work late but ny resuming time starts around 8:00 am except for any emergency meeting and today wasn't even such days. I was so prepared i had cleaned the office, the wine glass myself. The day was moving as expected until the intercom sounded Sandra told me Deji was around to see me. WHAT
What came my reply, not now forgetting i was still on with my sec
Sandra: Any problem sir
Me : don't worry Sandra just send him in
For the first time in 4weeks i did a silent prayer so Maria wouldn't meet deji here. I was not ready to explain to anyone how i got to meet Maria and what she was doing in my office. Not now.

Deji: double D
Me: small milionaire
Deji: how is work na
Me : fine bro just trying to become a milionaire myself
(We both laughed)
We chatted for some time when he told me micheal was deep serious on finding Maria, he even went back to that eatry to visit the waiter just to keep tabs on Maria whenever she shows up while tunde had connected one of babes to chat up Maria for more info. Ring ring came the intercom again, I was kind of reluctant to pick it but deji's eyes were on me and I was not ready to start giving any signs that i was hiding anything. Praying silently in my heart as i picked the call
Sec: Sir the lady from Newton Inc Plc just called she won't be coming today anymore she has asked for a later date probably tomorrow...
Me: No problem, will get the full details later
I felt relaxed after a tensed afternoon even deji noticed it but couldn't speak. Maybe he felt it was work
I was the first to speak
Me : i want in on the bet
Deji : which bet
Me : the Maria's bet
Deji : (laughing) you and i know you have done little research on this case and by the way you don't even have time.
Me: i want in (grabbing my phone and dialing Dotun)
Dotun: double D
Me: the Doc
Dotun: whatsup my guy, how is work
Me: fine, even deji is right here with me
Dotun: you guys are having a gang up meeting abi young milionaire whatsup nah
Deji: fine o
Me: The Doc, i called to tell you i want in on the bet
Dotun : Are you serious
Me: dead serious
Deji: Ha
Dotun : we will talk about this over the weekend.

Before i left work that day my Secretary told me she wanted to meet on Thursday. The smooth ride home that day was great i just dodged a bullet from Deji and Maria.

Fast forward to Thursday

Today i decided to take things easy and let it flow in its natural way. I got to work at my normal time, took a cup of coffee to ease down the tension. By 11:30 Maria was back at my office i had to force my from staring wrongly this time like a goat who was about to steal its owner's yam. this time i did most of the talking or should i say it was a 50/50. We spoke about our both companies could work together, i had to verify lots of document we spent like 2hours talking business , i was farmished so I asked her if she cared for lunch.
Re: Short Story : Maria (the Game Beyond Me) by maxxy26: 1:17am On Jun 15, 2019
Ride On Man,i Dey Ur Bck

1 Like

Re: Short Story : Maria (the Game Beyond Me) by dammyd46(m): 7:59am On Jun 15, 2019
maxxy26:
Ride On Man,i Dey Ur Bck
Thanks Maxxy26
Re: Short Story : Maria (the Game Beyond Me) by jaydave226(m): 6:35pm On Jun 17, 2019
[/color][color=#990000]
Simple but Hilarious! I love it. Next please

1 Like

Re: Short Story : Maria (the Game Beyond Me) by dammyd46(m): 10:24am On Jun 26, 2019
Fast forward to Thursday

Today i decided to take things easy and let it flow in its natural way. I got to work at my normal time, took a cup of coffee to ease down the tension. By 11:30 Maria was back at my office i had to force my from steering wrongly this time like goat who was about to steal its owner's yam. this time i did most of the talking or should i say it was a 50/50. We spoke about our both companies could work together, i had to verify lots of document we spent like 2hours talking business , i was farmished so I asked her if she cared for lunch. I don't mind she replied.

I dialled my secretary to help me call a driver to come get us something when Maria shipped in that why don't we just go have the meal there. Since it was just few blocks away. At the eatry i order rice and chicken and so did she too. During our meal we had little chat here and there, i got to know a little more. Soon we were both laughing and talking like we knew each other before if anyone had walked in on us they wouldn't believe we just started talking.

I don't how we did it but we were at the eatry for about 2hours before I drove back to my office so she could get her car. When she was about to leave I bent through the passager side and told i would to do this again then she smiled as she reversed out of the company's building. I gave a weird smile as i walked back to my office. My rules still remained my rules I don't usually ask any lady for her number all i do is play my part and the rest just falls. After I got home that day i called the guys to check up on them, Tunde was the craziest of them all he asked what got into me that i wanted to chase the girl too. I told him we were going to see during the weekend.

Friday went without nothing from Maria but my hopes were high i knew i nailed it at the office I kept checking on my secretary if any message came in for me but the ones I got were not what i expected. By evening i was already packed for our usual night out i did a stop by at a supermarket to get some can bears for saturday. As soon as i walked in i saw a familiar face, it was Maria, Amazing i said, i walked up behind her and asked to be excused when she turned she gave me that beautiful smile again. Hello she said, Hi i replied. We chated while shopping as soon as i was about to ask her if i could buy her dinner the next day suddenly i got a tap on my shoulder i thought i got busted cause it was like a 7minute drive to micheal's house, instantly i was already planning on what to say in a slipt seconds when i turned to see the girl i had spent the afternoon with at Michael's place some weeks back.

I was dumped struck the next thing she said made me feel like i could teleport instantly. You didn't even care to check on me or even call me since that day is that how you men are, we just......
i didn't even allow her finish her statement before i pulled her away, i did some little apologising in the corner and even collected her name & number promising to call her the next day i was quick in discarding her cause i didn't want to lose maria this time. When i got back to her area she was already on the queue about to make payment when told her i would handle it she smiled again as she said her goodbyes nothing in the world was more important to me than smashing Maria i didn't even think of the reason why i came to the supermarket in the first place as i walked to the parking lot i saw Maria again trying to deal with the things she bought as she moved them into the boot i walked up to her and assisted. For the first time in so many years i broke the code i asked for her number and her reply was corny " if you want it you have to guess it" then she left.
Game on i shouted as she left. 10minute later around past 8 i drove into Michael's compound, everyone of them were looking furious like i just stole their inheritance. Whatsup guys , deji was the first to respond i hope you were not also searching for Maria too. Dotun burst out laughing tunde joined Micheal became more mad. I told them i had ran into few traffic on the way from work and i had to stop to get the bears for tomorrow. We walked in but micheal face didn't change i later heard he skipped work today just to find maria and even found out the waiter lied about Maria coming there frequently. I couldn't hold myself this time i guess micheal was in love.

About 11pm Tunde,Deji and I got into his car while dotun left with micheal in his. We drove down to our usual club, the grove was mad the dj was on fire he kept us all standing even micheal couldn't hide his dance moves and the ladies we were with weren't dulling either from different kind of twerking to the lap dance, everything was on point. We really cherished the finest things so we spent heavily when we got one, our bucket of ice was filled with varieties of the finest champagne (Moët & Chandon Bicentenary Cuvée Dry Imperial 1943, Krug Clos d’Ambonnay ,Moet & Chandon Dom Perignon Charles & Diana 1961, Krug Private Cuvée) I guess that's why the ladies never left our side. We were up in the club till 2am. The saying money makes the world go round is a mere fallacy to us "Money itself is the world". We don't sleep with ladies we meet at the club or should i say ladies we have no info of just a blow is enough nothing much Dotun always made sure we were on course whenever we went to the club. going back home was the sweetest, dotun wasn't an heavy drinker so he drove and we always got an extra driver ( micheal's personal driver) just incase we got too high.

(1) (Reply)

The Flower Girl Episode 2 / The Prostitute / Charly's New Book

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.