Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,922 members, 7,817,698 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:33 PM

Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police (31479 Views)

Man Beaten By Police For "Buying Stolen Wrappers", Dies In Hospital. Photos / Burial Of Student Beaten To Death by SARS For Buying Stolen Phone / 2 Ladies Sent To Prison For Buying Stolen Items From A Supermarket In Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by Princedapace(m): 9:04pm On Jun 15, 2019
PoshBoss007:
This one is just mad. Would they write "stolen" on the phone?

What they are saying is do not buy items not sold in open markets, don't buy an item sold for 200 naira for just 10 naira.

Ask receipt when u buy item. Make sure the receipt has contact address verifiable.

Many are in prison for crime such as this. Police did not make the law. Police only effect the law. So why blame police.

1 Like

Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by Princedapace(m): 9:07pm On Jun 15, 2019
PoshBoss007:
This one is just mad. Would they write "stolen" on the phone?

What they are saying is do not buy items not sold in open markets, don't buy an item sold for 200 naira for just 10 naira.

Ask receipt when u buy item. Make sure the receipt has contact address verifiable.

Many are in prison for crime such as this. Police did not make the law. Police only effect the law. So why blame police. It is when ur item u bought 400k is stolen and sold for 5k, u will understand better. U may even kill the buyer join.

1 Like

Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by DaCharis2016: 9:07pm On Jun 15, 2019
They should also fly a website where one can blacklist his/her stolen phone too.
Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by mamatwiny(f): 9:09pm On Jun 15, 2019
goat22:

Hello young man, what does una toh bri bri mean in your language?
Too sweet.
Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by kingola87(m): 9:10pm On Jun 15, 2019
Scam!

Keep your property very tight brother, these polise {sic} ain't gonna stand once you get robbed of phones or any valuable things.
They will keep on asking you to bring money, nobody will tell you to run when you finally run out of the last cash you have, albeit no result.
Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by andrew444(m): 9:11pm On Jun 15, 2019
Jmk9292:

U lack comprehension which compounds your frustration....
Your quest for stolen items and cheap goods has made you to quote me and clear the national doubts on your foolishness...

Go back and look at my comment letter to letter.
Common sense is not common..
Does every tokumbo amount to stolen goods??
Did the police emphasize on tokumbo??
Go back to the zoo for reformation
Don't gamble with ur stupidity... It's a rare commodity...
Beware of ur ancestors!!!!

Your Papa Lack understanding

Mugu
Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by Princedapace(m): 9:11pm On Jun 15, 2019
anonymous1759:
... I hate this country each passing day... You jail a phone thief for 7 yrs and grant bail and Amnesty to Militants, bokoharam treasury looters all of una dey mad

Well, this is it, as long as Nigerian masses are not ready to protest for change of constitution and request for lengthy terms for corrupt officers, they will not do it for the masses.

U don't expect anyone to block where he is eating from.

The problem with Nigeria majorly due to the lazy masses who are not ready to protest until certain things are done and enacted.

If we begin protest that governor should never come and retire in the national assembly anymore, if we no gree go house, they will be forced to make such law.

But the average nigerian youth is mentally lazy, scared and dies million times before his death.
Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by deltateam: 9:15pm On Jun 15, 2019
JuanDeDios:

According to our laws, it's easy to convince the judge yoiu did not know it was stolen. All you have to do is show that
(1) You bought it from a market or shop where used phones are sold
(2) What you paid is within the price range such a phone would normally command
(3) You bought it in the day time

Look at 2 again critically this time and see if its possible. Normally UK used gadgets are sold for half price of the original. Could be said to have fulfilled 2?
Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jun 15, 2019
davillian:

They won't lol
But nobody knows tommorow you might be in Us/uk and the phone you bought in Nigeria tracked
I don't plan to leave my village so dem go wait for me abroad tire. grin

1 Like

Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by Onyi4live(m): 9:18pm On Jun 15, 2019
Great law. It’s will surely reduce the rate of phone thefts.
Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by zibya: 9:19pm On Jun 15, 2019
goldcoinhub:
The Lagos State Police Command’s spokesperson, DSP Bala Elkana, has revealed the punishment that will be meted to whoever buys a stolen phone in Lagos.

While enlighten Nigerians on the consequences of buying a stolen phone, Bala said the minimum sentencing for offenders is 7 years and the buyer will get more jail years than the thief.

According to him,

“Under our laws, it is quite a serious offence for one to buy stolen phones. The law even regards the buyer to be more culpable than even the thief. The punishment is more for the buyer than the thief. The wisdom behind that is to discourage people from stealing because if there is no market where they would sell those stolen things, they would not steal them but because they have a ready market, they easily steal.

“This is why the law makes the punishment stiffer for the buyer. The person who steals may get three years punishment, while the buyer could get seven years imprisonment and at the end, he will lose the property once we trace it to him. For a person to avoid buying stolen property, it is advisable that he buys things in the open market and not on the street or people who are just passing and not dealing in such wares.”

Explaining how a case of purchasing stolen phones can be checked, Elkana said:

“The most important thing when we charge a buyer to court is to look at whether he has knowledge that that thing he bought was a stolen property. How do we test the knowledge? What is the market value and how much did he buy it? If the market value is N100 and you buy it N10, automatically, you will know that you are buying a stolen property.

Secondly, we would check where he bought it. Was it in a regular market where such items are sold or he just bought it on the road from somebody?

“That is enough for him to know that he is not buying something that is genuine. Thirdly, we would check the time of the day that he bought the phone. These are important things we look at when we are investigating to check whether the person has knowledge that the phone was stolen or not.”

https://lailasnews.com/lagos-police-reveals-punishment-for-buying-stolen-phone/

Cc silasnwude grin
Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by fkj950ax(m): 9:30pm On Jun 15, 2019
Is the Lagos CP now the Commisioner of Justice in Lagos State.
Leave sentencing to the Courts
Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by ORIJIN201(m): 9:30pm On Jun 15, 2019
noble2faith:

My advice for you is "Don't buy second-hand phone!". Gather enough money to get new one.

If you are to buy phone hand to hand, ask the person to provide proof of ownership (the receipt of the phone).
What's all this crap you are spewing? Most of the phones people are buying in Nigeria as UK or USA used are sold second hand by people over there cheap. You think everyone can afford something new? What about people who buy something new and after sometime they look to sell it? The way you people just reason and I ask what is wrong with people? Instead to tell the NCC to tell networks to implement network blacklist on stolen phones and this is what is done over there in the US (absolutely no carrier works on a phone that is blacklisted over there enabling the device to be useless). As a buyer, you wouldn't buy such because you know its stolen already. This issue of stolen phones will die a natural death. How many people sell stolen phones compared to people who want to get some monetary value off their used item? Think before you leap and don't make yourself look ridiculous in public. This rubbish news from the police goes to show you Nigeria is a failed state. You don't cut off the head because of headache. You drink paracetamol.
Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by IMASTEX: 9:36pm On Jun 15, 2019
wunmi590:
And what would be the punishment for a police man caught collecting egunje on the street?

Awon werey police.

Me kuku no dey buy used phone self.
You spoke my mind
Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by noble2faith(m): 9:54pm On Jun 15, 2019
ORIJIN201:
What's all this crap you are spewing? Most of the phones people are buying in Nigeria as UK or USA used are sold second hand by people over there cheap. You think everyone can afford something new? What about people who buy something new and after sometime they look to sell it? The way you people just reason and I ask what is wrong with people? Instead to tell the NCC to tell networks to implement network blacklist on stolen phones and this is what is done over there in the US (absolutely no carrier works on a phone that is blacklisted over there enabling the device to be useless). As a buyer, you wouldn't buy such because you know its stolen already. This issue of stolen phones will die a natural death. How many people sell stolen phones compared to people who want to get some monetary value off their used item? Think before you leap and don't make yourself look ridiculous in public. This rubbish news from the police goes to show you Nigeria is a failed state. You don't cut off the head because of headache. You drink paracetamol.

I forgot to include the bolded among the options I gave. There is no way UK or USA used phone is gonna implicate you cos it would have been restored to factory setting and formatted. You should have used ur tongue to count ur teeth even if I forgot to include USA or UK used phone.

Concerning the second statement I bolded, I think I addressed it in my previous comment. If you want to sell phone you bought new then you should be able to provide the receipt.

Concerning the third statement I bolded, can you please educate more on that? I need to know something.

Concerning the last statement I bolded, I appreciate the fact that you knw Nigeria is a failed state so you take Nigeria as it is.

All those grammar you spewed is nothing before the police force. Just do what you are asked to do!

1 Like

Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by ORIJIN201(m): 10:12pm On Jun 15, 2019
noble2faith:

I forgot to include the bolded among the options I gave. There is no way UK or USA used phone is gonna implicate you cos it would have been restored to factory setting and formatted. You should have used ur tongue to count ur teeth even if I forgot to include USA or UK used phone.

Concerning the second statement I bolded, I think I addressed it in my previous comment. If you want to sell phone you bought new then you should be able to provide the receipt.

Concerning the third statement I bolded, can you please educate more on that? I need to know something.

Concerning the last statement I bolded, I appreciate the fact that you knw Nigeria is a failed state so you take Nigeria as it is.

All those grammar you spewed is nothing before the police force. Just do what you are asked to do!
I bought a phone from aliexpress brand-new and I got no receipt. Heard of digital receipt? Knowing fully well the Nigerian police, they will turn this to an avenue asking of receipt for every TomDick&Harry wrongfully accusing innocent people. Implement blacklisting to save everyone the headache. We are too weak mentally as a youth to put pressure on our govt so we accept anything we are given, and your statement I bolded proves it.

1 Like

Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by chidemavian: 10:13pm On Jun 15, 2019
Better to steal and use than steal and sell.
Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by adelekeaka: 10:24pm On Jun 15, 2019
Please, do not buy used phones if the seller isn't issuing you a receipt or showing you proof of ownership (receipt s/he used to purchase). Phones are easily tracked/traced with today's technology. All you need is the phone's IMEI number. If you buy a phone where the owner is either kidnapped or killed, your guest is as good as mine. I have a list where my phone and that of every member of my family is compiled. Thanks.
Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by Onlinealaba(m): 10:28pm On Jun 15, 2019
Basher8583:

You sure the bolded are not stollen oh. I no want wahala
We are certified and recognized wink
Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by noble2faith(m): 10:28pm On Jun 15, 2019
ORIJIN201:
I bought a phone from aliexpress brand-new and I got no receipt. Heard of digital receipt? Knowing fully well the Nigerian police, they will turn this to an avenue asking of receipt for every TomDick&Harry wrongfully accusing innocent people. Implement blacklisting to save everyone the headache. We are too weak mentally as a youth to put pressure on our govt so we accept anything we are given, and your statement I bolded proves it.

It is very unwise to see white and call it black. Hope you know this? Of a truth, you have buttressed very good points to back up your claims but those can only work in sane societies and Nigeria is not one. Lets take the brutal killing by the policemen and SARS of recent as an instance. What has been the move of the government towards it? There was a time the Police Force said we shouldn't be speaking Queen's English whenever we're interrogated by the police to avoid story that touches. Imagine such nonsense! Were they trying to tell us that the Police Force is infiltrated by illiterates or what was their point! What was the move of the government towards that! Absolutely nothing!

I don't agree with the bolded. I think what the youth are lacking is "Unity". Who is ready to stand with you to face the government? Some youth are benefiting from this bad governance so they won't support going against such governance. It is obvious here in Nairaland where you see youth having conflicting opinions. Tribalism is now the order of the day.

Brother. There is a lot of things that need to be addressed should this country be what you and I want it to be but for now, let us take it as it is.
Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by JuanDeDios: 10:56pm On Jun 15, 2019
deltateam:

Look at 2 again critically this time and see if its possible. Normally UK used gadgets are sold for half price of the original. Could be said to have fulfilled 2?
Oga, use your sense na. The court will assess the worth of the phone in question, how much a used in that condition would be sold for, not how much a new one of it would cost.
Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by deltateam: 11:07pm On Jun 15, 2019
JuanDeDios:

Oga, use your sense na. The court will assess the worth of the phone in question, how much a used in that condition would be sold for, not how much a new one of it would cost.

I should rather advice you to boost your comprehensive abilities.

There's no way you can determine how much the second hand should ost without considering the price of its new.

What I have been saying which you still don't understand is that most second hand stores slash their second hands goods so much your no 2 might not sail. This is because they intend selling off. Besides UK products are ridiculously cheap over there as they are just discarded. A phone company in jand can use thousands of its phones for test run only to decide to sell them off and the ready market is Africa. Some Nigerians even go there and tell them to manufacture substandard phones which could be passed off as original or how do you think cloned phones come about?
Finally some whites buy phones on impulse just to sample it and sell off just 2 weeks later.
Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by foreshore(m): 11:12pm On Jun 15, 2019
goldcoinhub:
The Lagos State Police Command’s spokesperson, DSP Bala Elkana, has revealed the punishment that will be meted to whoever buys a stolen phone in Lagos.

While enlighten Nigerians on the consequences of buying a stolen phone, Bala said the minimum sentencing for offenders is 7 years and the buyer will get more jail years than the thief.

According to him,

“Under our laws, it is quite a serious offence for one to buy stolen phones. The law even regards the buyer to be more culpable than even the thief. The punishment is more for the buyer than the thief. The wisdom behind that is to discourage people from stealing because if there is no market where they would sell those stolen things, they would not steal them but because they have a ready market, they easily steal.

“This is why the law makes the punishment stiffer for the buyer. The person who steals may get three years punishment, while the buyer could get seven years imprisonment and at the end, he will lose the property once we trace it to him. For a person to avoid buying stolen property, it is advisable that he buys things in the open market and not on the street or people who are just passing and not dealing in such wares.”

Explaining how a case of purchasing stolen phones can be checked, Elkana said:

“The most important thing when we charge a buyer to court is to look at whether he has knowledge that that thing he bought was a stolen property. How do we test the knowledge? What is the market value and how much did he buy it? If the market value is N100 and you buy it N10, automatically, you will know that you are buying a stolen property.

Secondly, we would check where he bought it. Was it in a regular market where such items are sold or he just bought it on the road from somebody?

“That is enough for him to know that he is not buying something that is genuine. Thirdly, we would check the time of the day that he bought the phone. These are important things we look at when we are investigating to check whether the person has knowledge that the phone was stolen or not.”

https://lailasnews.com/lagos-police-reveals-punishment-for-buying-stolen-phone/

What will be the punishment for the person that brought in bullion vans into his compound?
Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by ORIJIN201(m): 11:58pm On Jun 15, 2019
noble2faith:

It is very unwise to see white and call it black. Hope you know this? Of a truth, you have buttressed very good points to back up your claims but those can only work in sane societies and Nigeria is not one. Lets take the brutal killing by the policemen and SARS of recent as an instance. What has been the move of the government towards it? There was a time the Police Force said we shouldn't be speaking Queen's English whenever we're interrogated by the police to avoid story that touches. Imagine such nonsense! Were they trying to tell us that the Police Force is infiltrated by illiterates or what was their point! What was the move of the government towards that! Absolutely nothing!

I don't agree with the bolded. I think what the youth are lacking is "Unity". Who is ready to stand with you to face the government? Some youth are benefiting from this bad governance so they won't support going against such governance. It is obvious here in Nairaland where you see youth having conflicting opinions. Tribalism is now the order of the day.

Brother. There is a lot of things that need to be addressed should this country be what you and I want it to be but for now, let us take it as it is.
lies we keep telling ourselves. How many are on the govt's payroll? The truth is we are lazy mentally. Your write up says alot about the Nigerian youths and you proved I was right. We are only sinking deeper if we keep accepting everything until we are completely stripped nake.d of all our rights and lose our voices completely. It's a mental thing.
Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by DonMekino(m): 12:33am On Jun 16, 2019
Lolzzz.... Joke of country, Nigeria police one of the worst thing in the country. It's because it's easier to apprehend the unsuspecting buyer than arresting the hardened thief. U now want to scare the buyer with the law so as to extort him.... Wch laws if I may ask
Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by Coolgent(m): 9:04am On Jun 16, 2019
Best on comments I have seen many phones thief on this thread!
Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by JuanDeDios: 10:55am On Jun 16, 2019
deltateam:

I should rather advice you to boost your comprehensive abilities.

There's no way you can determine how much the second hand should ost without considering the price of its new.

What I have been saying which you still don't understand is that most second hand stores slash their second hands goods so much your no 2 might not sail. This is because they intend selling off. Besides UK products are ridiculously cheap over there as they are just discarded. A phone company in jand can use thousands of its phones for test run only to decide to sell them off and the ready market is Africa. Some Nigerians even go there and tell them to manufacture substandard phones which could be passed off as original or how do you think cloned phones come about?
Finally some whites buy phones on impulse just to sample it and sell off just 2 weeks later.
You still don't get it. Courts are manned by human beings and all these facts you've listed are known and can easily be proved. A court will convict you of receiving stolen goods if you bought an iphone 10 FROM A GUY ALONG THE ROAD for N30,000. No court will convict you if you bought a UK-used phone 6 at a shop where UK used phones are sold for N50,000 since it can easily be proved that UK-used iphones are sold in Lagos for that price or close to it. Many factors will be taken into consideration. And no dealer will sell you an iPhone 6 for N5000 while selling the same phone for others at N60,000 because he bought yours from a white man who sampled it and sold it two weeks later. The problem is guys like you buying something for a ridiculously cheap price FROM A NON-DEALER and then trying to bluster their way through with - "I didn't know naa." The court will deduct that you ought to have known whether you knew or not. But do the right thing and you a have nothing to fear. You can either learn from this or go on with this mindset of yours.

And it's comprehension abilities, not comprehensive abilities.

1 Like

Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by Takadboi(m): 11:34am On Jun 16, 2019
Rubbish

Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by mechanics(m): 12:24pm On Jun 16, 2019
What if the buyer buys it from a open market at a cheap rate, was the property stolen?
Re: Punishment For Buying Stolen Phone In Lagos By Police by Greatzeus(m): 3:44pm On Jun 16, 2019
anonymous1759:
... I hate this country each passing day... You jail a phone thief for 7 yrs and grant bail and Amnesty to Militants, bokoharam treasury looters all of una dey mad
Who asked you if you hate this country or not,don't tell us we don't give a flying f uck,you f ucking loser. Go home and go wail with the rest of your village mazis angry
Remember this guy who said he hates Nigeria,went to South Africa,now he's dead,south African police killed him like a chicken,since you hate Nigeria, maybe you should just go there,let them torture you to death like a worthless chicken, rubbish.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Butcher Rapes Two Sisters Aged 4 & 7, Infected Them With Std (pic) / Nigerian Air Force Vehicle Illegally Using BRT Lane Kills Young Artist In Lagos / Religious Crisis Breaks Out At Kabala Junction In Kaduna, 3 Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.