Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,621 members, 7,823,716 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

English Cameroonians Debate Wether They Should Have Become Part Of Naija In1960 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / English Cameroonians Debate Wether They Should Have Become Part Of Naija In1960 (717 Views)

Cameroonians Give PMB An Elaborate Welcoming That Jonathan Never Experienced(pic / Cameroonians Declares ''the Best Nigerian Is A Dead Nigerian'' / Jonathan Is Nigeria's Most Transparent Leader Wether U Lyk It Or Not (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

English Cameroonians Debate Wether They Should Have Become Part Of Naija In1960 by ufemia(f): 5:46am On Oct 04, 2010
Wow, i did not know that in 1961 English Cameroonians almost became part of Nigeria oh. undecided

Cameroon Echoes-
On the occasion of Nigeria’s 50th anniversary of Independence we look at the 11th February 1961 plebiscite in which the people of southern Cameroon were consulted on whether to go with Nigeria to independence or join up with French Cameroon.The people opted for unification with the French Cameroon October 1st 1961, a year after Nigeria gained independence on Oct 1st 1960.If the plebiscite were to be redone, how would Southern Cameroon vote? Cameroonians Respond.

RESPONSES!
We Need A Third Option
Talking about a re-conducted plebiscite in Southern Cameroon, if we were given a chance to vote to join either Nigeria or French Cameroon, I would vote to join Nigeria. However, because of the two choices we had earlier made and the present disposition, I think that we should be given another option of self rule that is if we want to be on our own or not.
If we were given that option in 1961, things would have been better for Anglophones than what we experience presently. So, if another plebiscite came I think we Southern Cameroonians should press for the option of independence without reunification with French Cameroon or integration with Nigeria and overwhelmingly vote for that platform.
Rudolf Akongo, Masters Student English, UB

The question is a very ticklish one.
Joining Nigeria or La Republique du Cameroun is taking a leap in the dark. I think the only solution is standing on our own that is what I can tell you for now.
Paul Tamnjong, Princial COTTEC Bafut

More responses by Cameroonians can be found on the site. But given the state of affairs in Naija, they dodged the bullet. grin

http://www.cameroonechoes.org/will-you-vote-french-cameroon-or-nigeria-in-another-plebiscite/

(1) (Reply)

Soyinka Pulls Out Of N’delta Peace Process / President Jonathan Has Asked Nigerians A Question / Jonathan caught out falsely exonerating Turai .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.