Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,181 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:28 AM

The Nothing - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Nothing (339 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Nothing by OxygenAiry: 12:24am On Jun 18, 2019
[img][/img]

I was going back home one night from school. Exam was in two weeks’ time and everybody have been reading like crazy. I usually go to school around 7pm and by 10pm, I go back home.

On this fateful day I arrived class at the usual time and had plans to read until ten o’clock. But strangely enough I dozed off somewhere in between.

I usually walk from school with a couple of other students living in my area; that way you need not worry about being mugged by thieves or worst. I quickly packed my books and dashed out the door in the hopes of catching up with my trek buddies.

Little did I know that the time on my phone has for some mysterious reason reset itself and as it was then that even though the time showed 10pm, that wasn’t the time.

I had barely walked for five minute when I began to notice the bizarre state of my surrounding.
Every step I took was like as if something was dragging me from behind, pulling at my cloth and books.

My footsteps gradually became heavier as if I had step in a pool of mud only that in reality there is no mud. Yet each footstep I raise is as if something is trying to stick my foot to the ground.

“What is happening?” was the thought that crossed my mind.

Besides it is only after ten, and my friends are probably ahead on the next turn.
I hasten my foot drag and made it to the junction hoping that I will see people walking ahead but to my astonishment, no one was there.

Strangely enough nothing was there.

The whole street was empty except for the street light that illuminated the night. I checked the time on my phone and it was 10:15pm but something doesn’t feel alright.

I checked the time again and i was shocked because I could have sworn that the time was 10:15pm some seconds ago, why is the time showing 2:15am now.

Suddenly the air started to get colder and the drag effect I had felt all through since I left class seemed to have tripled.

The hairs at the back of my neck suddenly began to stand and there was this tempting feeling that kept urging me to look back.But I dare not look back because for some unknown reason fear had taking over the fervor that initially drive me to catchup with my friends.

Before long, the mental battle of wits over guts raging inside me was over and my guts prevailed.
Slowly I twisted my neck sideways in an attempt to confront what or whoever it is lurking behind me but my head seemed to be stuck at an angle not up to 90 degrees and it just wouldn’t turn any further.

By this time my heart beat had elevated and slowly from the corner of my eyes I saw it.

“The Darkness that crawls.”

At first it seemed like as if one is staring into a pencil drawn picture and all of a sudden someone uses an eraser and wipes away part of the scenes from the picture.

You can still see some part but the rest of the piece is missing. Only that in this case, when I looked back, there was nothing. Something dark had consume everything behind me.

The darkness was so thick that it cast its own shadow upon the floor.Soon enough even the floor could not be seen as it had vanished beneath the shadowy blanket.

As I stood frozen literally staring out into the emptiness that has now spread in and around me that even the glow of the streetlight cannot be seen except for a dim white shade suspended in the air that it looked more like a white stain on a black background.

The darkness had then surrounded me. There was this feeling of emptiness that was taking over me. It felt like all my troubles and sorrows were been drained and erased out of me that at one point I began to feel as if I myself had become empty.

“I am now becoming a hollow man”.

As I feel myself merge with the darkness, I felt like surrendering totally into the embrace of the unknown and just drift away into the vast of the beyond even though I don’t know where it leads, I just didn’t care.

I felt dispersed and soon enough even my consciousness began to fade.My head tilted and my eyes glance from my shoulders down to my body and to my surprised, nothing was there. I raised up my hands to my faced and stared keenly but I could not see my hands.

“What is happening to me?” I muttered even though my voice seems to be coming from behind me. As my last resolve or more like a reflex action. Or probably it is GOD’s grace upon me, but whatever it is, I know I heard these words in my head saying.

“It is not your time”

The words kept repeating in my mind that it became like a ringing tone playing in a loop.
I became suddenly alert and one step at a time I started to pull myself back and out of the darkness that had then consume almost all of me.

If you were standing beside me probably the only thing you would have seen visible of me would be my head twisting and turning as I struggle to release myself from the shackles of desolation.

When all hope seemed to be lost, and I appeared to be misplaced. All of a sudden, my hand appeared

https://mytelltales.com/blog/the-nothing-1/

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Help - Script For Sale / Nairaland 10 Days Book Challenge: Day Nine / A Narrative Poem By F.martin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.