Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,025 members, 7,818,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:21 AM

9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) (36632 Views)

Convention: APC Pegs Chairmanship Forms At ₦20m, Deputy At ₦10m / Kumba, Buhari Impeached: Kebbi Assembly Elects New Speaker, Deputy Speaker / DSS, Police To Withdraw Operatives From Impeached Edo Speaker, Deputy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by CGMedia: 12:27am On Jun 18, 2019
There was drama on Monday as 9 out of 24 members-elect of the Edo State House of Assembly at about 10:22pm, ‘elected’ a new Speaker and Deputy Speaker for the 7th Assembly, Igbere TV reports.

Igbere TV reports that while Hon Frank Okiye from Esan North East was sworn-in as Speaker, Hon Yekini Idiaye from Akoko Edo was elected Deputy Speaker.

Governor Godwin Obaseki and his Deputy, Philip Shaibu reportedly whisked away the 9 members-elect, the Clerk of the House of Assembly, among other officials to stage a secret and partial inauguration amidst rumoured rift with his predecessor, Adams Oshiomhole.

The move, Igbere TV reliably gathered, was to shut out Oshiomhole’s loyalists from attending the inauguration and to forestall lost of loyalty in the Obaseki’s camp.

Igbere TV recalls that about 19 out of the 24 lawmakers-elect had on Monday afternoon, addressed a press conference where they raised the alarm over Governor Obaseki’s refusal to issue a proclamation letter for the inauguration of the House.

They equally alleged that the governor had threatened to sanction them if they should vote against his preferred candidate for the Speakership. The Edo APC Chairman, Anselm Ojezua confirmed the development, citing “party supremacy.” The 24 lawmakers-elect are all members of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

It was alleged that the sum of N10 million was given to each of the lawmaker-elect who attended the swearing-in on Monday night.

Findings revealed that 4 out of the 19 members-elect who had earlier issued a press statement, later joined the House for the inauguration.

The new speaker, Okiye had adjourned Plenary till July 17.

Details soon...

http://igberetvnews.com/781258/drama-as-9-24-assembly-members-elect-new-speaker-deputy-at-night-photos/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by chinjo(m): 12:35am On Jun 18, 2019
The swearing in was done at the Edo State House of Assembly and not at the government house as been purported. Oshiomhole, this is Benin and not ABUJA o. You do anyhow you see anyhow.

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by chozzy: 12:49am On Jun 18, 2019
Edo will implode soon

6 Likes

Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by wallex1983(m): 12:56am On Jun 18, 2019
If you like, kill yourself with Nigeria wàhálà.

But for those that want to live long, just read news like this and smile...

Then take the next piece, or go for vacation and enjoy your life.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by Nobody: 12:57am On Jun 18, 2019
The house member in shorts was probably at a bar drinking when they called him on phone. Who wan miss N10m? grin

138 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by chozzy: 12:59am On Jun 18, 2019
The Ambode treatment cannot work in South South
Let Oshiomole try nonsense

Niger Delta no dey Carry last.
If you try anyhow, you will see anyhow.

38 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by tuniski: 1:09am On Jun 18, 2019
APC imploding already in Edo.

9 Likes

Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by Lamasta(m): 1:23am On Jun 18, 2019
Nigeria my country where 9 is greater than 24

8 Likes

Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by TooMuchStuff: 4:08am On Jun 18, 2019
buharitill2023:
idiotic pigs are not ashamed, a sitting governor controlling 5 members and idiotic pigs are happy for such governor. the governor will be impeach very soon.
Pi
Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by borntoexcel2000(m): 4:54am On Jun 18, 2019
Politics...... Its a shame
Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by jd3trice(m): 5:50am On Jun 18, 2019
Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by Cutezt(m): 6:00am On Jun 18, 2019
Haha my naija o

Sha na edo people, they work better at night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJgeELbnlzc

5 Likes

Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by johnmartus(m): 6:01am On Jun 18, 2019
Keep quiet and stop bragging about their stupidity. Tell me what these useless people can offer the commoners.
chozzy:

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by muykem: 6:26am On Jun 18, 2019
Why my governor? You don't need to result to illegality. You will not have sympathy again if they use the same illegality on you.

8 Likes

Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by Unigrad: 6:31am On Jun 18, 2019
Lamasta:
The constitution says 1/3 of the house can sit to decide anything and it will stand. 9 members out of 24 members is above 1/3 and their decide stands. It doesn't necessarily mean the house must be 2/3. I'm not supporting what they did but their actions are right in the eyes of the constitution.
Thank you all.

34 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by 20Leave5(m): 6:31am On Jun 18, 2019
Lamasta:

I believe it was a quorum

3 Likes

Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by Unigrad: 6:36am On Jun 18, 2019
muykem:
Why my governor? You don't need to result to illegality. You will not have sympathy again if they use the same illegality on you.
Go read the constitution of Nigeria, nothing is wrong in what they did in the eyes of the constitution. The report says 9 members, these 9members is above 1/3(quorum) of the house that can take any decisions on behalf of others and it's stands. Constitutional, the speaker can suspend the 15 members if the other 8 members agree with him.
The constitution also says the house can sit anytime as far the mace which is the symbol of authority is in the house.
I pray you understand my point.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by helinues: 6:37am On Jun 18, 2019
Newly elected that are less than 1 month old.

Chai, Edo's people votes don waste on those 9 assembly members

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by Unigrad: 6:37am On Jun 18, 2019
20Leave5:

I believe it was a quorum
You are right.
The 9 members was able to form quorum.
Their actions are right under the constitution.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by Shuku0kukobambi: 6:41am On Jun 18, 2019
Oshiomhole should chill concerning his 'biff' with Obaseki. If it's a useless governor like Yahaya Bello, he would have support but how can you be trying to undermine arguably the best performing governor in the country? One that you even helped install?

6 Likes

Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by JubrinElSudan: 6:41am On Jun 18, 2019
chozzy:

One thing I hate seeing in Nairaland when some people brag with something. Like saying Herdsmen can't try this in our area, Ambode treatment can't work in Southsouth. Oga, Sylva of Bayelsa was denied 2nd term by Jonathan's controlled PDP years back. Guess Bayelsa is South west too

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by aolawale025: 6:51am On Jun 18, 2019
This is serious. Crisis everywhere
Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by Chikpat(m): 6:52am On Jun 18, 2019
Kikiki. So as tough as Osho baba bi, person fit tidy am like this? grin grin grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by Indispensable85(m): 7:21am On Jun 18, 2019
Obaseki wants to destroy his name and government by himself. This is just the beginning of a long crisis that is to come.I didn't expect him to descend to this level at all. All politicians are the same! There's likely to be two houses of assemblies in Edo state.
Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by muykem: 7:21am On Jun 18, 2019
Unigrad:

Go read the constitution of Nigeria, nothing is wrong in what they did in the eyes of the constitution. The report says 9 members, these 9members is above 1/3(quorum) of the house that can take any decisions on behalf of others and it's stands. Constitutional, the speaker can suspend the 15 members if the other 8 members agree with him.
The constitution also says the house can sit anytime as far the mace which is the symbol of authority is in the house.
I pray you understand my point.
You seems not well this morning. Are you saying the same 9 members can suspend 15 members and impeach governor.

1 Like

Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by lathrowinger: 7:30am On Jun 18, 2019
Awon weereyyyy. This was the same way, Saraki get there...
Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by MadeInTokyo: 7:31am On Jun 18, 2019
grin grin grin

Obaseki and his Deputy teaching Oshiomole politics

4 Likes

Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by RZArecta2(m): 7:33am On Jun 18, 2019
Two gorillas fighting (Obaseki and Oshiomole) cool

3 Likes

Re: 9/24 Edo Assembly Members Elect New Speaker, Deputy At Night (photos) by TANID(m): 7:34am On Jun 18, 2019
That's Nigeria Politics Way For Us grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

INEC Presents Certificate Of Return To Adeleke, Osun Governor-Elect / Ex-militants Threaten To Blow Up Hijacked Vessel, Expatriates Onboard Over Biafr / Aisha Buhari Speaks On U.S. Visit, Governor Fayose’s Attacks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.