Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,380 members, 7,808,353 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:45 AM

What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? (62064 Views)

Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) / What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by ochiosa(m): 9:48pm On Jun 19, 2019
BSc Hons stand for Bachelor of Science Honours. A Bachelor's degree BSc is generally considered an ordinary pass degree and BSc Hons is looked upon as an extraordinary degree. BSc Hons is supposed to have a heavier syllabus than BSc. Some countries offer the title Hons for a general BSc that lasts for only three years.
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by bigprojectng: 9:48pm On Jun 19, 2019
Rednaxelot:
Differs for each country.

Seems like in Nigeria, BSc (hons) is awarded when the graduate finished the course of study at the specified time, 4years or 5years, based on the duration of course.
But ordinary BSc awarded, if the duration is exceeded ie for students with “extra year”

Right on point, meanwhile
For your HND, Third class to Bsc degree conversion program, check my signature
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by c2far: 9:49pm On Jun 19, 2019
Perfect response. At least, I know this is the case in the University of Lagos. Anyone who finishes with a pass, has no honur added to his or her BSc title.

rid4stat:
B.Sc.(hons) are for those that graduated with 1st class, 2nd upper division, 2nd class lower division and third class while ordinary B.Sc. are for those that graduated with pass. Reason is there is no honour in pass as you only attended the institution with no grade.
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by slimmax: 9:52pm On Jun 19, 2019
Its is confirmed that many are with certificate but few actually attended higher-education, see answers I cant stop laffing.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by Horlhamhi(f): 9:52pm On Jun 19, 2019
jpilata:
so, we don't have any lecturer that can explain the differences, in nairaland.
I tire o..different answers with counter
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by ochuski(m): 9:54pm On Jun 19, 2019
the taste is the difference... the difference is the taste

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by brenister10: 9:54pm On Jun 19, 2019
Edojoma:
I will illustrate with engineering,, engineering in Nigeria universities is normally 5yrs,bt it's shouldn't exceed 7yr,,,if u can graduate within dis period, whatever d result, it goes with honour,,, but if u exceed d 7yrs ,,den no honour,, Dats y our HOD will advice us to get second class lower division or third class with honour,, rather malpractice n b given 3yrs suspension den graduate without honour....

Honour shows dat u completed d course within d stipulated yrs or period,,, it helps employers to no if u r dull or maybe dey may ask Wat happened dat made u graduate late..

You are correct
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by mvem(m): 9:56pm On Jun 19, 2019
DieselGen:

That's why we can never grow.
Waiting this one won use Bsc hons or no hons do? That all the Nigerian schools can offer. That's why they can't discover or invent anything good for betterment of human race. They'll creat things that causes more isolation and separation.
Poor people....

I don't know how I found myself in this shithole settlement. Their mentality is almost the same.
Hmm
hope say you never join the sniper crew
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by freemi(m): 10:07pm On Jun 19, 2019
kaorama:
One has hons and the other doesn't have
lols
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by greggng: 10:17pm On Jun 19, 2019
BSc Hons stand for Bachelor of Science Honours. A Bachelor's degree BSc is generally considered an ordinary pass degree and BSc Hons is looked upon as an extraordinary degree. BSc Hons is supposed to have a heavier syllabus than BSc. Some countries offer the title Hons for a general BSc that lasts for only three years.
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by rollydex: 10:17pm On Jun 19, 2019
Hons means without s single spill over all through
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 10:24pm On Jun 19, 2019
Godswillnwaoma:
I need urgent answer on NYSC age limit........ My DOB (WAEC) 1st January 1988 while (JAMB DOB)1st January 1989 and I graduated on 25th October 2017. will I still serve or will I be excepted?
You will serve, as long as you graduated before you clocked age 30.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by MrAAA(m): 10:26pm On Jun 19, 2019
I guess it is about the study duration and the type of graduating class because I failed a course 2 times and another one once before graduation BUT my certificate carries a Honours.
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by celeiyke: 10:30pm On Jun 19, 2019
mikool007:
you are an animal

grin grin
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by Pacesetter123(m): 10:32pm On Jun 19, 2019
Generalwoodz:
Because you are honourable...like a honourabe in future time...something like Honourable mrs parternerbizz5
Your university knows (it is a gift) that one day,you would either be senator,Rep member or Las las local Govt chairman..
Hope I made sence nlers ?
No,u r rather making nonsense!
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by bussyboy500(m): 10:32pm On Jun 19, 2019
What about HND cert? Does it carry hons too..
Pls sincere answers
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by Kings66: 10:36pm On Jun 19, 2019
Edojoma:
I will illustrate with engineering,, engineering in Nigeria universities is normally 5yrs,bt it's shouldn't exceed 7yr,,,if u can graduate within dis period, whatever d result, it goes with honour,,, but if u exceed d 7yrs ,,den no honour,, Dats y our HOD will advice us to get second class lower division or third class with honour,, rather malpractice n b given 3yrs suspension den graduate without honour....

Honour shows dat u completed d course within d stipulated yrs or period,,, it helps employers to no if u r dull or maybe dey may ask Wat happened dat made u graduate late..
This is the correct one so far.
I had an extra semester due to a spill over course , had like 2 carryovers during my study and still graduated with second class honours. I don't really think carryovers affect the honours.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by goodnewsbabe: 10:37pm On Jun 19, 2019
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by Desdola(m): 10:42pm On Jun 19, 2019
Edojoma:

Best response so far. U said it all
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by Alzirida(f): 10:46pm On Jun 19, 2019
fatiaforreal:
This is the only factual explanation I've seen here, others are mere conjectures and it shows the real quality of (hons) people have. A Pass Certificate acquired with knowledge and honestly is far better than 2:1 with (hons) we're talking about here. You find people gathering and finding solutions to past questions without any quality studies hence without true knowledge of the courses they earn high grades. To me, this is a fraud in itself! That's the main reason graduates have failed the nation even the face of bad leadership. With the right mindset to education, we would have been much better than we're now.

God bless you.
Pls marry me if u are not gay
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by danietohbadt(m): 10:48pm On Jun 19, 2019
tfash96:
u are a living legend

Just like your ancestors.
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by danietohbadt(m): 10:49pm On Jun 19, 2019
Edojoma:

It's because in sciences n art,,, d duration is between 4 to 6yrs ,once u exceed 6yrs ,,with or without spill over,,, no honour for u, cos honour means dey r honouring u for completing d course within d stipulated time n also enlightening employers of labour abt d nature of ur result. If u were to b an employer, will u employ b.sc hons or without hons?,,, now dat u no d difference

painfully enough, you still don't know the difference. The assignment is for you. google it
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by danietohbadt(m): 10:50pm On Jun 19, 2019
Samyj247:
lols which one come b the real reason why they give hons if u see d answer let me know.....assignment

Google it niqqa
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by ensamy(m): 10:52pm On Jun 19, 2019
kings59:
Late admission made me had 2 carryover in year 1, after that, no more. All went good.

For those who had no carryover from year 1 to finals would be given (hon) While those who had had one or two, won't be given (hon).

Hon or no Hon what matters is connection.

Our leaders have no hon, but they are ruling those with hon.

Neymar has no hon on his cert but he has money.

Nigeria university certificates are just like tissue paper in front of an American HR/ employers.

But with same Nigerian certificate we Nigerians at U.S and Canada postgraduate schools still do better than American and Canadian counterparts. Still with our so called WEAC , our students still go there and be the best shocked shocked shocked cool shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by Vince77(m): 10:54pm On Jun 19, 2019
DieselGen:

Waiting this one won use Bsc hons or no hons do? That all the Nigerian schools can offer. That's why they can't discover or invent anything good for betterment of human race. They'll creat things that causes more isolation and separation.
Poor people....

I don't know how I found myself in this shithole settlement. Their mentality is almost the same.
Hmm

You are not an intelligent person.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by striker07(m): 10:56pm On Jun 19, 2019
isthatso:
A honors degree is exactly what is says. it means you passed with honours minimum 3rd class. Otherwise a regular bachelors degree (without honours) is a pass degree. i.e let my people go......it means you just managed to scrape through. Let it not be like they didnt give you something.

if your degree is below 3rd class, you sef have no business looking for work with that degree
correct explanation ,in Nigeria having minimum of third class will add hons to your B.sc. whether you spilled or not.
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by mekuxiani(m): 10:57pm On Jun 19, 2019
asuustrike1:

Good response
Capital Lie
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by Rajosh(m): 10:58pm On Jun 19, 2019
DieselGen:

Poor people....

Hmm
Asking questions for the sake of knowledge isn't a bad thing. no knowledge is a waste.
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by mekuxiani(m): 10:59pm On Jun 19, 2019
DieselGen:

Poor people....

Hmm
This is so true
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jun 19, 2019
Rednaxelot:
Differs for each country.

Seems like in Nigeria, BSc (hons) is awarded when the graduate finished the course of study at the specified time, 4years or 5years, based on the duration of course.
But ordinary BSc awarded, if the duration is exceeded ie for students with “extra year”
this post is devilish, if u believe that ur cert will get u a job find it will, if nt hustle ur way to d top period.
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by Pacesetter123(m): 11:05pm On Jun 19, 2019
So I can painstakingly read like 5 pages of a given thread n still ended up being more confused than I was before on a particular subject matter? All I can see here is comment n countered-comments all over.Lemme go n sleep,if unah finally know de answer, make unah wake me up tomorrow to tell me.
Re: What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? by SUPERPACK: 11:19pm On Jun 19, 2019
Godswillnwaoma:
I need urgent answer on NYSC age limit........ My DOB (WAEC) 1st January 1988 while (JAMB DOB)1st January 1989 and I graduated on 25th October 2017. will I still serve or will I be excepted?
how old were you as at 31st October 2017? If you are above 30 by the date, you are nt eligible to serve.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is FUNAAB, Abeokuta The Most Beautiful Public University Campus In Nigeria? / Cash Prizes Sent To Winners Of The Xfire Nairaland Undergraduate Scholarship / The Only University Without Unemployed Graduates In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.