Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,562 members, 7,812,822 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:00 PM

Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) (28353 Views)

What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? / What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by tolaade1960: 8:46am On Sep 25, 2023
I would like to know the difference between BSc and BSc(Hons).
My thought is when a student graduates without a Failed course throughout his study years , he earns BSc(Hons).
Or what is your opinion?

8 Likes

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by Bliss24: 8:48am On Sep 25, 2023
No carry over

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by PinkNature: 9:41am On Sep 25, 2023
1. One cannot find much difference between a Bachelors of Science degree and Bachelors of Science (Hons) degree.

2. Three years are needed to complete a Bsc degree, and four years for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree.

3. The Bachelor of Science (Hons) degree is considered to be superior to the Bachelor of Science degree.

4. The Bsc (Hons) is considered to be, academically, more standard than the ordinary Bsc degree.

5. A student will have to write a dissertation for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree. On the other hand, this is not mandatory for a Bsc degree.

6. A Bsc degree is easier to obtain than a Bsc (Hons) degree.

Hysteresis (Sept 02, 2017).

102 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by CloudTrees(f): 10:23am On Sep 25, 2023
Graduate with either of the two qualifications and you fit no get job with it after 5 years.
If you still get employed, it might not be related to what you studied...

Just make sure you are educated

114 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by sirjoggy(m): 11:18am On Sep 25, 2023
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by phemsie(m): 11:43am On Sep 25, 2023
I really don't think there is any difference in the two.

I graduated after two extra years and what was written in my certificate is Bsc (Hons) Chemical Engineering

86 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by Alchemy528: 12:03pm On Sep 25, 2023
When deciding between BSc and BSc(Hons), consider your career goals and the level of specialization you desire

6 Likes

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by Nobody: 1:28pm On Sep 25, 2023
tolaade1960:
My thought is when a student graduates without a Failed course throughout his study years , he earns BSc(Hons).
Or what is your opinion?
the difference is that Honours is gotten after an extra 1 year research dissertation while bsc is gotten after 3 years of coursework

15 Likes

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by LLSAINT(m): 1:48pm On Sep 25, 2023
embarassed
Alchemy528:
When deciding between BSc and BSc(Hons), consider your career goals and the level of specialization you desire
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by LLSAINT(m): 1:50pm On Sep 25, 2023
Your school must be a mushroom one (no offence grin)
This is why if you need to do a certificate evaluation abroad, they will score you less even from your transcript
Globally, there is a difference as explained above.......
phemsie:

I graduated after two extra years and what was written in my certificate is Bsc (Hons) Chemical Engineering

1 Like

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by phemsie(m): 1:55pm On Sep 25, 2023
LLSAINT:
Your school must be a mushroom one (no offence grin)
This is why if you need to do a certificate evaluation abroad, they will score you less even from your transcript
Globally, there is a difference as explained above.......

what u don't know pass u.

I graduated from Unilag (no 1 university in Nigeria) if u care to know

39 Likes

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by LLSAINT(m): 1:57pm On Sep 25, 2023
Just pulling your legs grin
I think it was an omission from your school as your transcript will indicate in any certificate evaluation irrespective of the school
phemsie:

what u don't know pass u.

I graduated from Unilag (no 1 university in Nigeria) if u care to know

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by socialmediaman: 2:20pm On Sep 25, 2023
To graduate with BSc (Hons), you need to spend an extra year or two depending on the field of study. The idea of the extra year(s) is to gain a deeper understanding in the course of study while also developing research skills

(Hons) could also help you get accepted directly to a PhD program if you meet the requirements of the school you’re applying to

3 Likes

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by gentposh: 2:20pm On Sep 25, 2023
Currently in Nigeria both are papers gotten over some wasted years and resources and they both don't translate to the success of the holders.

Again both Papers as far as our country is concerned can be gotten overnight so long you have a good insider in the corrupt institutions where they are given.

My advice to those who are still chasing to get these papers is for them to look towards hand works. Learn a trade or do business.

Remember these papers become useless immediately the holders die

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by pweeryambre: 2:21pm On Sep 25, 2023
Its thesame thing

1 Like

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by Hillarie(m): 2:21pm On Sep 25, 2023
Me sef I go like learn the difference
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by shiki(m): 2:21pm On Sep 25, 2023
cheesy
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by Chibuzoripob: 2:22pm On Sep 25, 2023
B
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by Agbadocassava: 2:22pm On Sep 25, 2023
How many times Una wan bring dis topic up?

3 Likes

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by wunmi590(m): 2:23pm On Sep 25, 2023

Nah every year unah dey ask this question?

I think alot of people here on nairaland have made alot of different view concerning this particular topic years past, all you just need do is simple Google, and it will bring it out

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by olaolulazio(m): 2:23pm On Sep 25, 2023
Spill over.
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by Olachase(m): 2:23pm On Sep 25, 2023
Once am done with this my mechatronis Engineering course, I swear even signboard I no day read again

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by tishbite42: 2:23pm On Sep 25, 2023
You have gotten your answers above
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by lovinguszz: 2:24pm On Sep 25, 2023
You have gotten your answer already. cheesy
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by kapelvej: 2:25pm On Sep 25, 2023
phemsie:

Bsc chemical engineering ?
Na waaa. is it not supposed to be B.eng or something like that. Engineering is not science nawwww

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by Theboy21: 2:26pm On Sep 25, 2023
cheesy
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by illicit(m): 2:27pm On Sep 25, 2023
At UNILORIN even if you have 3rd class, it's Hons

The only time you don't get Hons is when u have Pass

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by duro4chang(m): 2:27pm On Sep 25, 2023
No difference. All those explanation over there are lies.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by blueghost(m): 2:28pm On Sep 25, 2023
grin
The main difference between a Bachelor of Science (BSc) and a Bachelor of Science with Honours (BSc Hons) lies in the level of academic achievement and the depth of study. Here are the key distinctions:

1. Academic Level:

BSc (Bachelor of Science): This is an undergraduate degree typically awarded upon the completion of a three-year program of study. It is a standard bachelor's degree that signifies the successful completion of a broad range of courses in a specific field of science.

BSc Hons (Bachelor of Science with Honours): This is also an undergraduate degree, but it is typically awarded after completing a four-year program of study. The "Hons" designation indicates that the degree includes an additional year of specialized and often more in-depth study compared to a regular BSc.

2. Depth of Study:

BSc: A BSc program provides a solid foundation in the chosen field of science, covering core topics and introducing students to various aspects of the subject. It is designed to give students a comprehensive understanding of the field but may not delve as deeply into specific topics.

BSc Hons: BSc Hons programs are more in-depth and specialized. They often involve advanced coursework, independent research projects, and a higher level of critical analysis. Students pursuing a BSc Hons typically have the opportunity to explore a specific area of their chosen field in greater detail.

3. Research Component:

BSc: While BSc programs may include some research opportunities or projects, they typically have a more structured curriculum with a focus on coursework and foundational knowledge.

BSc Hons: BSc Hons programs often include a substantial research component, where students are required to undertake an independent research project or thesis. This research component is a significant part of the program and allows students to develop research skills and contribute to the field's knowledge.

4. Career Opportunities:

BSc: A BSc degree provides a solid academic foundation and can lead to entry-level positions in various industries related to the field of science. It can also be a stepping stone to further education, such as master's or doctoral programs.

BSc Hons: A BSc Hons degree is often seen as a more prestigious qualification and can open doors to more advanced or specialized career opportunities. It is particularly valuable for those considering research-oriented careers or pursuing advanced degrees.

In summary, the key difference between BSc and BSc Hons is the level of academic achievement and the depth of study. BSc Hons programs typically involve an extra year of specialized study and a research component, making them more rigorous and research-oriented compared to standard BSc programs. The choice between the two depends on your academic and career goals.

7 Likes

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by Emperor95(m): 2:28pm On Sep 25, 2023
BSC (Hons) means you graduated with honors. usually 3rd class and above. BSC without Hons means you had a pass

7 Likes

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by highchief1: 2:29pm On Sep 25, 2023
tolaade1960:
Or what is your opinion?
full time and part time students.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bauchi Secondary School Where Students Secretly Marry Themselves Shut / ASUP Declares Nationwide Strike From April 6 / How Bandits’ Threat Forced Abuja Students To Sit For 13 Exams In A Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.