Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,078 members, 7,957,017 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 04:34 AM

Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? (14318 Views)

List Of Senate Presidents & Speakers Of The House Of Representatives Of Nigeria / Bola Tinubu With Speakers Of APC States And Their Deputies (Photos) / President Buhari Meets Speakers Of 36 States House Of Assembly (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by Boyooosa(m): 10:01am On Jun 23, 2019
FRANKVC96:
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE

And u r sure that u r progressive doing this...all the time here
Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by Esji80(m): 10:04am On Jun 23, 2019
That is what we called permissible constitutional illegality

1 Like

Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by Indispensable85(m): 10:50am On Jun 23, 2019
I can now say very clearly that all Nigerian politicians are the same. Just when you think you've seen someone different, boom! You get the shock of your life. I can't imagine my obaseki endorsing a total fraud. How can an inauguration be held at night?is it an ogboni meeting? Nigeria is a theatre of absurdities. We'll remain laughing stock in the eyes of the international community. I'm a strong fan of obaseki, but he got it wrong this time. He would've lobbied other legislators to buy into his choice of speaker. This ogboni style of inauguration is shameful.

3 Likes

Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by Jman06(m): 11:03am On Jun 23, 2019
OGHENAOGIE:
abi na... quorum was formed but timing is the issue...those who supported Buhari and presidency interference in legislative matter una see what executive influence can cause...
no come de shout Buhari no impose they were voted...these ones were voted too...
That's the problem with Nigerians!
Those who supported Buhari's imposition of national assembly leadership are the ones now crying foul because they were outsmarted by the Bauchi and Edo state governments! When the game favours them, then it is OK but when it doesn't they start talking about morality and international best practices!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by tuniski: 11:05am On Jun 23, 2019
Afamed:

Keep quiet with your double standard
What do you mean by double standard?
Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by firo08(m): 11:08am On Jun 23, 2019
Generalpatton:
The constitution is equivocal and ambiguous about the clear procedures for electing a speaker and deputy.but in section 54,the constitution specifically said that the speaker will be elected from among the members.it also goes to say that for any legislative business to commence,there must be a quorum of one third of the members of the house.according to barristers yusuf and ubani,legislative business are businesses of the house after a speaker and deputy have been elected not before the elections.

Looking at legislative precedents,all legislative elections in Nigeria have always been with a simple majority of members present.according to the senate and house rules,just a majority of members are required to form a quorum for elections.am sure this also applies to the house of assemblies,i stand to be corrected.more legislative and legal inputs are welcomed.

Oga forget all these grammar. A quorum was formed before these speakers emerged. Oshiomole should stop crying because he is a destroyer not a builder.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by adanny01(m): 11:19am On Jun 23, 2019
Generalpatton:
The constitution is equivocal and ambiguous about the clear procedures for electing a speaker and deputy.but in section 54,the constitution specifically said that the speaker will be elected from among the members.it also goes to say that for any legislative business to commence,there must be a quorum of one third of the members of the house.according to barristers yusuf and ubani,legislative business are businesses of the house after a speaker and deputy have been elected not before the elections.

Looking at legislative precedents,all legislative elections in Nigeria have always been with a simple majority of members present.according to the senate and house rules,just a majority of members are required to form a quorum for elections.am sure this also applies to the house of assemblies,i stand to be corrected.more legislative and legal inputs are welcomed.

Nigerians have a way of doing things wrong whether constitutionally or morally wrong, they will defend it and shut down every reason that makes their action wrong.

One house formed a quorum at night and the other at wee hours of the morning. They did form a quorum but the timing is wrong. Their excuse will be, the Constitution didnt specify a time for them to form a quorum but we all know official hours in Nigeria is between 7am-5pm. It is not law but no assembly ever sits in the night. To do so now is just in bad faith.

2 Likes

Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by Harrisonwo(m): 11:37am On Jun 23, 2019
the Edo n bauchi elections stands legal. after the governor issues a proclamation, the house will be convened in the presence of the CLERK of the respective house to swear in the assembly n their principal officers. anyone who misses out will be sworn in later.
Quorum does apply here but the majority stuff is after election

The aggrieved guys have to play it slow n steady cos as it stands now, they r still hose members elect n not part of the assembly. accept those as the principal officer, get sworn in then impeach the speaker n the rest if they have 2/3 on their side then re-elect those they need. shikena

1 Like

Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by emmamajesty: 11:47am On Jun 23, 2019
The truth is that due process is no longer exists in Nigeria, The argument are for those it didn't favour cos I believed that both PDP and APC are of no difference
Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by Isoduwa(m): 11:47am On Jun 23, 2019
Na local and thugs chairman dey give final say for Edo state college �

Even the government wait for them to decide
Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by Nobody: 11:51am On Jun 23, 2019
Generalpatton:

Your last paragraph clearly showed why such illegality continually persists,lack of detergent or stiff punishment for impunity and lawbreakers.inspire of the controversy surrounding saraki's 2015 election,it was leval because more than 55 members were present in the house,a simple majority was required.commonsense demands that if a simple majority cannot remove a speaker,why should a mere one third quorum elect ?
That is why some people are demanding restructuring and adjusting of this useless tissue paper given to us by the British as constitution.
The tissue paper is always silent and clueless when it comes to things that are of national importance giving room for greedy politicians to always twist and maneuver things to their advantage at the detriment of the mass

1 Like

Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jun 23, 2019
adanny01:

Nigerians have a way of doing things wrong whether constitutionally or morally wrong, they will defend it and shut down every reason that makes their action wrong.

One house formed a quorum at night and the other at wee hours of the morning. They did form a quorum but the timing is wrong. Their excuse will be, the Constitution didnt specify a time for them to form a quorum but we all know official hours in Nigeria is between 7am-5pm. It is not law but no assembly ever sits in the night. To do so now is just in bad faith.
Is there any part in our clueless constitution that talks about timing of legislative activities? You can defend normal time in court . If we don't throw this useless tissue paper given to us by the British away, politicians will continue to play us like football. What kind of constitution is always silent and clueless in matters that are most important to a country?
Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by adanny01(m): 12:04pm On Jun 23, 2019
Mk12:

Is there any part in our clueless constitution that talks about timing of legislative activities? You can defend normal time in court . If we don't throw this useless tissue paper given to us by the British away, politicians will continue to play us like football. What kind of constitution is always silent and clueless in matters that are most important to a country?

Just like i expected.

Ask yourself this question, why do Nigerians look for loopholes in the Constitution just to find a way to break it.

The problem in my view is not the politicians who do it, its the citizens of Nigeria who support it that encourage politicians to look for the next loophole. The judiciary who fail to stop it also are responsible. Then when the people who are responsible for making laws are the ones using loopholes in the Constitution to protect themselves, we seriously need a saviour.

As i speak, one politician somewhere is also looking for such a loophole to get ahead since what ever he does whether rightly or wrongly, he will get supporters.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by Bahddo(m): 12:16pm On Jun 23, 2019
I don't understand any of this politics stuff, but I'm happy to read the arguments here cheesy

I also agree with the person that said we need to punish lawbreakers more. Let the court decide without bias, and whoever is deemed guilty of breaking the laws should face some real punishment. Maybe lose their seats in the house or something.
Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by Bahddo(m): 12:19pm On Jun 23, 2019
adanny01:

Just like i expected.

Ask yourself this question, why do Nigerians look for loopholes in the Constitution just to find a way to break it.

The problem in my view is not the politicians who do it, its the citizens of Nigeria who support it that encourage politicians to look for the next loophole. The judiciary who fail to stop it also are responsible. Then when the people who are responsible for making laws are the ones using loopholes in the Constitution to protect themselves, we seriously need a saviour.

As i speak, one politician somewhere is also looking for such a loophole to get ahead since what ever he does whether rightly or wrongly, he will get supporters.
a thousand likes, bro.

Nigerians encourage lawlessness, and because our leaders can only be Nigerians, we get no better than we deserve.

Imagine one idiot public office holder saying gorilla swallowed money (years after the one of snake), and Nigerians just laugh over it. No accountability, nothing.
Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by Minjim: 12:40pm On Jun 23, 2019
I'm afraid pdp has outsmarted APC in Bauchi state . Out of 31 members pdp has 8, NNPC 1 and APC 22.
It's obvious APC has the overwhelming majority to elect and remove the Speaker if their members are disciplined and United. But they won't be where they are today if they have those qualities in the first place.
I don't think the issue of timing is of any significant here .
Apc Should just work at gaining back the support of those two rogue members that took part in that sham election. The possibility of this is however an uphill task when one recall that the speaker is one of them.

The future in Bauchi is certainly pregnant with possibilities
Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by Generalpatton: 1:08pm On Jun 23, 2019
Mk12:

That is why some people are demanding restructuring and adjusting of this useless tissue paper given to us by the British as constitution.
The tissue paper is always silent and clueless when it comes to things that are of national importance giving room for greedy politicians to always twist and maneuver things to their advantage at the detriment of the mass
You captured it vividly
Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by FutureIG: 1:31pm On Jun 23, 2019
Was Saraki's senate presidency not legal? The other lawmakers went on pilgrimage while their colleagues were being inaugurated.
Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by Mylove55(f): 1:32pm On Jun 23, 2019
Afamed:

Keep quiet with your double standard
dont mind the guy, you know is not easy to defend illegality
Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by Mylove55(f): 1:39pm On Jun 23, 2019
Indispensable85:
I can now say very clearly that all Nigerian politicians are the same. Just when you think you've seen someone different, boom! You get the shock of your life. I can't imagine my obaseki endorsing a total fraud. How can an inauguration be held at night?is it an ogboni meeting? Nigeria is a theatre of absurdities. We'll remain laughing stock in the eyes of the international community. I'm a strong fan of obaseki, but he got it wrong this time. He would've lobbied other legislators to buy into his choice of speaker. This ogboni style of inauguration is shameful.
you are right, i am deeply disappointed in obaseki, he just proved to us that he is of pdp stock, he is not a progressive

2 Likes

Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by Generalpatton: 1:46pm On Jun 23, 2019
firo08:

Oga forget all these grammar. A quorum was formed before these speakers emerged. Oshiomole should stop crying because he is a destroyer not a builder.
I should forget the grammar which is order and remember the nonsense you typed
Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by Generalpatton: 1:46pm On Jun 23, 2019
FutureIG:
Was Saraki's senate presidency not legal? The other lawmakers went on pilgrimage while their colleagues were being inaugurated.
A simple majority was present

1 Like

Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by Mylove55(f): 1:55pm On Jun 23, 2019
FutureIG:
but these ones did not go for pilgrimage, they were not communicated to.. They were not aware of the day and time

1 Like

Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by RexTramadol1: 2:03pm On Jun 23, 2019
So far there is a quorum and members were informed of a sitting

Legal- Yes

Moral- No
Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by Bizibi(m): 2:17pm On Jun 23, 2019
Racoon:
The leadership constituted are illegal gven the shady circumstances wherein the both HOAs were convened.
Meanwhile, Karma always have a way of paying us back as Oshiomole once said;
he did it before and he had the guts to open his oozing mouth.
Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by Indispensable85(m): 3:25pm On Jun 23, 2019
Mylove55:
you are right, i am deeply disappointed in obaseki, he just proved to us that he is of pdp stock, he is not a progressive

This night inauguration is first of it's kind.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by OGHENAOGIE(m): 3:32pm On Jun 23, 2019
tuniski:

Yes, if at inauguration properly served, only 5 elected members showed up, the five elect the leadership.

Don't be emotional. The quorum only comes to play after inauguration. Inauguration is not a function of quorum but a compulsory process. If however, legislators are absent Like it happened in senate in 2015, those present will be inaugurated and elect the leadership. QED
man no talk thrash here the law says one third to form quorum...even after assembly has been formed... if there is no at least one third sitting cant take place Sir...be educated
Re: Are The Speakers Of The Bauchi And Edo Assemblies Legal Or Illegal? by tuniski: 3:45pm On Jun 23, 2019
OGHENAOGIE:
man no talk thrash here the law says one third to form quorum...even after assembly has been formed... if there is no at least one third sitting cant take place Sir...be educated
You are lacking in understanding the difference between inauguration and regular activities of the assembly.

Until the leadership are elected, the clerk will be presiding on the inauguration day. That is the election and swearing in. Afterwards, the assembly now operates on its rules being administered by the elected leaders.

Be guided.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested / I Repent From All Forms Of Tribalism And Bigotry Today / Customs Collects N1.1bn From South-west Importers In Six Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.