Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,533 members, 7,954,997 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:02 PM

Why 40% Of Pregnancies Ends In Miscarriage- Dr Ede-edokpolor - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why 40% Of Pregnancies Ends In Miscarriage- Dr Ede-edokpolor (515 Views)

The Rhesus Blood Group And Pregnancies; What You Must Know? / Man’s Affairs With Five Married Women Ends In Mysterious Skin Disease / Nigeria May Record 700,000 Unwanted Pregnancies In 2023- UNDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why 40% Of Pregnancies Ends In Miscarriage- Dr Ede-edokpolor by udomoh(m): 3:38pm On Jun 22, 2019
Lists smoking, alcohol, maternal infections, uterine defects, medical disorders, maternal age and genetic defects as causes of miscarriage.

A Consultant in Obstetric and Gynaecology, Dr David Ede-Edokpolor, has said that about 40 per cent of all conceptions ends in miscarriage after implantation as a result of maternal infections, medical disorders, maternal age, alcohol, smoking, and uterine abnormalities.

In an interview with our correspondent, Ede-Edokpolor, advised pregnant women to avoid alcohol and smoking during pregnancy as this could also cause miscarriage.

He said, “Up to 80 per cent of spontaneous miscarriages occur in the first trimester. The incidence is influenced by age, history of a previous full-term pregnancy, number of previous spontaneous miscarriages, a previous history of stillbirth, and a history of a previous infant born with malformation or known genetic defect.

“Maternal age could also be a cause of miscarriages, the older the woman, the worse the outcome of the miscarriage. Prevention of miscarriages is by prompt treatment of all infections listed above and early identification and prompt treatment of medical disorders.”

He advised women who have suffered miscarriages to go to the hospital and see an Obstetrician and Gynaecologist for proper evaluation, assessment and treatment.

“More than 70,000 women die from complications of induced abortions and over 99 per cent of these deaths are due to unsafe procedures carried out in developing countries,” the expert said.

He listed the different types of miscarriages as threatened miscarriage, incomplete miscarriage, inevitable miscarriage, complete miscarriage, missed miscarriage, recurrent miscarriage, septic miscarriage and complete miscarriage.

A miscarriage is defined as loss or expulsion of a pregnancy before 28 weeks gestation. In developed societies where the special care baby units are well equipped and can salvage babies below 28 weeks, viability would be defined as gestation of 20 weeks to 24 weeks.

In the mind of the public, the term abortion is usually confused with a deliberate termination of pregnancy and criminal abortion while miscarriage is an accidental or spontaneous end to a pregnancy. To the medical person, the terms miscarriage and abortion means the same thing. Other causes of miscarriage are hormonal imbalance, immunological abnormalities like systemic lupus erythromatosis (SLE) and ABO and Rhesus incompatibility.

https://nimedhealth.com.ng/2019/06/21/causes-of-miscarriage/?amp

Re: Why 40% Of Pregnancies Ends In Miscarriage- Dr Ede-edokpolor by omoolorire(m): 3:55pm On Jun 22, 2019
And so
Re: Why 40% Of Pregnancies Ends In Miscarriage- Dr Ede-edokpolor by All4good: 8:31pm On Jun 22, 2019
There are many causes for miscarriage
Re: Why 40% Of Pregnancies Ends In Miscarriage- Dr Ede-edokpolor by MissionRestore: 8:36pm On Jun 22, 2019
PID
Re: Why 40% Of Pregnancies Ends In Miscarriage- Dr Ede-edokpolor by 7thLemonLOVER(f): 12:40pm On Jun 23, 2019
I believe the pregnancy that will stay will stay...
But it's not advisable to smoke or drink when carrying another life in you
Re: Why 40% Of Pregnancies Ends In Miscarriage- Dr Ede-edokpolor by subsonic(f): 9:10pm On Aug 11, 2019
Hi mommies, me and my husband's rhesus factor are not compatible. I am B- , he is A+. Our doctor only booked me for a vaccine (RhoGAM) injection after delivery. I recently read in several articles online that it is recommended to have an RhoGAM vaccine on week 28 of pregnancy (which I didn't) and another after delivery. Now I am a little worried. Hope my baby and future babies will be fine if I just take the vaccine after deliver.

P.S. I took a Indirect Coombs Test (ICT) aka the Indirect Antiglobulin Test or IAT at 36weeks and it come back "Negative"

(1) (Reply)

Remains Of Supermarket Employee Missing For 10 Years Found Behind A Freezer / Do You Have Small Butt Or Small Hips Worry No More Here's The New Tool / The Role Of Nursing Students In The Upgrade Of Nursing Practice In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.