Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,225 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:01 AM

Question! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Question! (437 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Question! by Saucyxo: 12:20am On Jun 23, 2019
What were the hard parts of your religion that you dont understand/ agree with? But of course you have to follow because of submission to God.

Anyone can answer but I'm specifically interested in converts. smiley.

What were/are the parts of your religion, in theory and in practice, that you found didn't agree with your opinion/perspective? How did you come to terms with them?
Re: Question! by budaatum: 5:20pm On Jun 28, 2019
As a recent convert to Jesus, having been a studying atheist all my life, I can safely say that it is a misunderstanding that one must submit to God as if God were a prison officer. In fact, even if God were a prison officer, Jesus gives one the key of salvation from bondage so it is oxymoronic for one to feel the need to submit, a word I think you get from Islam but which becomes 'believe', in Christianity. The funny bit, however, is the "hard parts of your religion that you don't understand", which is likely 70-80% of one's religion, if not a whole lot more.

One does not need to follow all the parts of one's religion. Some parts (stone apostates, condemn gays, love your neighbour) are not followable because we now know better or are incapable of following them. A Christian would therefore invoke Grace.
Re: Question! by Saucyxo: 11:55pm On Jun 30, 2019
budaatum:
As a recent convert to Jesus, having been a studying atheist all my life, I can safely say that it is a misunderstanding that one must submit to God as if God were a prison officer. In fact, even if God were a prison officer, Jesus gives one the key of salvation from bondage so it is oxymoronic for one to feel the need to submit, a word I think you get from Islam but which becomes 'believe', in Christianity. The funny bit, however, is the "hard parts of your religion that you don't understand", which is likely 70-80% of one's religion, if not a whole lot more.

One does not need to follow all the parts of one's religion. Some parts (stone apostates, condemn gays, love your neighbour) are not followable because we now know better or are incapable of following them. A Christian would therefore invoke Grace.

Convert to Jesus? What does that mean? What made you convert if I may ask?

Really? You feel one doesnt need to follow all parts of their religion? Hmm. To be honest, I think those parts are out of context really. But what we can do, you dont feel we need to follow them all?
Re: Question! by budaatum: 12:05am On Jul 01, 2019
Saucyxo:

Convert to Jesus? What does that mean? What made you convert if I may ask?
My conversion was more a change of where I stood as opposed to an abandonment of old and adoption of new. A realisation of the meaning and its implication is what made me convert. I chose to see things differently. It's complex.

Saucyxo:
Really? You feel one doesnt need to follow all parts of their religion? Hmm. To be honest, I think those parts are out of context really. But what we can do, you dont feel we need to follow them all?
I don't feel anyone should not follow all the parts of their religion, though, saying that, if a religion gets close to the edge of bashing baby heads on rocks, I'd strongly object. Everyone follows their religion as they see fit, is what I find, whether I like it or not. And thankfully, they tend to abandon the archaic bits over time.
Re: Question! by Saucyxo: 12:18am On Jul 01, 2019
budaatum:

My conversion was more a change of where I stood as opposed to an abandonment of old and adoption of new. A realisation of the meaning and its implication is what made me convert. I chose to see things differently. It's complex.

I don't feel anyone should not follow all the parts of their religion, though, saying that, if a religion gets close to the edge of bashing baby heads on rocks, I'd strongly object. Everyone follows their religion as they see fit, is what I find, whether I like it or not. And thankfully, they tend to abandon the archaic bits over time.

Hm. You were an atheist? You went from not believing in a higher being at all to believing in Jesus. That sounds like a pretty hefty abandonment to me. Interesting.

So what parts of Christianity have you abandoned/have a hard time following? I assume they dont ask you to bash babies heads... even adults undecided
Re: Question! by budaatum: 12:30am On Jul 01, 2019
Saucyxo:

Hm. You were an atheist? You went from not believing in a higher being at all to believing in Jesus. That sounds like a pretty hefty abandonment to me. Interesting.

So what parts of Christianity have you abandoned/have time following? I assume they dont ask you to bash babies heads... even adults undecided
I did not go to "believing". That part of my atheism is very intact. 'Understanding', best describes what I went to, and not so much of "higher being" but the texts on "higher being".

I am not a Christian, some wouldn't have me. And I often fail woefully to follow the turn the other cheek bits though I try harder and not just abandoned it because even trying has immense reward.

My theology requires that I understand and lead myself and not that I believe or follow anything. My "higher being" does not enslave me, it frees and empowers me instead.
Re: Question! by Saucyxo: 12:50am On Jul 01, 2019
budaatum:

I did not go to "believing". That part of my atheism is very intact. 'Understanding', best describes what I went to, and not so much of "higher being" but the texts on "higher being".

I am not a Christian, some wouldn't have me. And I often fail woefully to follow the turn the other cheek bits though I try harder and not just abandoned it because even trying has immense reward.

My theology requires that I understand and lead myself and not that I believe or follow anything. My "higher being" does not enslave me, it frees and empowers me instead.

You don't believe in a higher being. You understand what other people who believe in a higher being believe ?

Some wouldn't have you?

Mhm. Why then do you try to turn the other cheek?

Sorry for all my questions. Feel free to ignore me. I'm just curious.
Re: Question! by budaatum: 10:55am On Jul 01, 2019
Saucyxo:

You don't believe in a higher being. You understand what other people who believe in a higher being believe ?
I don't believe in a higher being because I know of a higher being. One does not believe things one knows, a la no one believes their mother is their mother because they know who their mother is.

There is also the psychology of belief in a higher being, as in how belief in higher beings influences and motivates, which anyone can study and learn to understand others and influence oneself if one so desires.

Saucyxo:
Some wouldn't have you?
Some believe believing is the foundation of the Christian religion and cannot accept that one would and could rather know. I find there is a difference in believing the Lord is one's Shepherd and knowing the Lord is one's Shepherd. Its a distinction I'm slowly presenting here.

Saucyxo:
Mhm. Why then do you try to turn the other cheek?
No one physically slaps me but on here people tend to electronically slap a lot with insults. If I engage in slapping back, I would be talking crap which is what slappers do, so I stick to not slapping and turn the other cheek when slapped because I see the merit in turning the other cheek which is, not rudely talking crap. But as I said, I fail a lot, but trying at least means I don't go about slapping people first.

Saucyxo:
Sorry for all my questions. Feel free to ignore me. I'm just curious.
I love curious! It shows you check the evidence and don't just form opinions on scanty perusal of the evidence .
Re: Question! by Saucyxo: 2:39pm On Jul 01, 2019
budaatum:

I don't believe in a higher being because I know of a higher being. One does not believe things one knows, a la no one believes their mother is their mother because they know who their mother is.

There is also the psychology of belief in a higher being, as in how belief in higher beings influences and motivates, which anyone can study and learn to understand others and influence oneself if one so desires.

Some believe believing is the foundation of the Christian religion and cannot accept that one would and could rather know. I find there is a difference in believing the Lord is one's Shepherd and knowing the Lord is one's Shepherd. Its a distinction I'm slowly presenting here.

No one physically slaps me but on here people tend to electronically slap a lot with insults. If I engage in slapping back, I would be talking crap which is what slappers do, so I stick to not slapping and turn the other cheek when slapped because I see the merit in turning the other cheek which is, not rudely talking crap. But as I said, I fail a lot, but trying at least means I don't go about slapping people first.

I love curious! It shows you check the evidence and don't just form opinions on scanty perusal of the evidence .

Okay. Thank you for answering. smiley

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Find Your Christian Dreams Interpretation Here / Is There Any Significance In Using The Book Of Psalms To Pray? / Benny Hinn True Confession -*repent* "I'm Correcting My Theology" Lessons For Ni

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.