Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,867 members, 7,813,957 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:45 PM

At What Point Did You Start Giving Up On Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / At What Point Did You Start Giving Up On Nigeria? (559 Views)

Wike: In PDP, We Don't Make Promises And Start Giving Excuses Like APC - Wike / Should Nigeria Start Giving Citizenships To Foreigners To Boost Our Economy? / When Will Oshimole's Foreign Wife Get Pregnant And Start Giving Birth? - Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

At What Point Did You Start Giving Up On Nigeria? by manny4u(m): 12:46am On Jun 25, 2019
Before now I was very enthusiastic about this country and at every point in time I talk about her potential greatness and GOD given natural resources.
But right now I just realize nothing about this country interest me anymore, not her politics, economy, sports, or even entertainment. I just feel everything about the country is cosmetic, and the frequent news of killings everywhere is not even helping either.
The exact moment I started losing interest in the country can not be exactly defined but I just realised that I get so scared and agitated to read news about this country especially with the frequent killings and fraudulent acts in every corner.
I've given up on the country and not exactly sure it can ever get better in my tim, and even if their is hope that it would get better I am not exactly sure how we would go about it giving our precarious situation right now.

1 Like

Re: At What Point Did You Start Giving Up On Nigeria? by TOSIN116: 1:24am On Jun 25, 2019
Me sef doesn't even remember
It must have been a long time...
Buhari rigging the elections damaged everything.

But because of Christ I'm still hopeful... smiley
Re: At What Point Did You Start Giving Up On Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:38am On Jun 25, 2019
In my quest for knowledge, I have read wide and have come to a conclusion that Nigeria was created to be stagnant until Buhari was chosen to take it a few steps backward because of some issues.
Religion, ethnicity and hunger will continually be used to keep the country in check by the masters. Sadly there's no hope.
No, I haven't given up because someday, the children of the "soon to be late" masters will refuse or forget to keep track of the blueprint.
Re: At What Point Did You Start Giving Up On Nigeria? by IGBOSON1: 2:39am On Jun 25, 2019
I don't get scared reading news about Nigeria...i just couldn't care less!

I've always had a negative feeling about Nigeria and some of the ethnicities i'm forced to share the same country with b'cos of events leading up to and including the uncivil war! We were supposed to leave the past behind us in 1970, and learn from the past mistakes to make Nigeria a just, fair and equitable society. This didn't happen! Nigeria just became the plaything of the core northern muslims up until 1999, when they lost their grip on power at the centre!

1999 onwards was meant to bring a new dawn of socio-economic peace and prosperity for everyone, since the northern dominated military had 'left the scene', but again this never materialised!

Like i said, i've always had a negative feeling about Nigeria, but if asked for the period when i finally gave up on it i'd say it was sometime between the presidency of OBJ and GEJ. Buhari coming on the scene removed any doubt i had left, and hammered the final nail in the coffin!

1 Like

Re: At What Point Did You Start Giving Up On Nigeria? by liberalchick(f): 4:15am On Jun 25, 2019
Growing up you hear the standard phrase “our leaders are bad” to explain our bad economy. I gave up on Nigeria when I realized the people were the problem. An average Nigerian is out for himself, willing to defraud his fellow citizen. The culture worships money and scorns integrity. In Nigeria, success is measured by wealth and people are willing to get it from anywhere so they can show off and get adulations from Nigerians apathetic to the source of the wealth.

Tribalism, money-worshipping, make a very fertile environment for corrupt politicians to thrive. Most Nigerians if given the keys to the treasury will not act differently from our current politicians. Nigeria gets the government it deserves.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: At What Point Did You Start Giving Up On Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:59am On Jun 25, 2019
I gave up when no leaders was willing to recover the $380 billion dollars looted since 1960. We all know the fantastically corrupt politicians and ex generals that became overnight billionaires through looting public funds that are still walking the streets free.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6069230.stm
Re: At What Point Did You Start Giving Up On Nigeria? by helinues: 5:55am On Jun 25, 2019
The day I realised Nigeria government/politicians/leaders never care for the masses.

It go better soon is an overstatement
Re: At What Point Did You Start Giving Up On Nigeria? by F117nighthawk: 6:12am On Jun 25, 2019
liberalchick:
Growing up you hear the standard phrase “our leaders are bad” to explain our bad economy. I gave up on Nigeria when I realized the people were the problem. An average Nigerian is out for himself, willing to defraud his fellow citizen. The culture worships money and scorns integrity. In Nigeria, success is measured by wealth and people are willing to get it from anywhere so they can show off and get adulations from Nigerians apathetic to the source of the wealth.

Tribalism, money-worshipping, make a very fertile environment for corrupt politicians to thrive. Most Nigerians if given the keys to the treasury will not act differently from our current politicians. Nigeria gets the government it deserves.

True

(1) (Reply)

Possible effect Of The Adoption Of ECO As ECOWAS Currency On Nigeria's Economy / Attacker Emerges As Deputy Minority Whip, House Of Reps / Only Those ‘I Personally Know’ Will Be Appointed Ministers – Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.