Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,946 members, 7,835,147 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:02 AM

Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? (9855 Views)

Lagos police arrests gangsters, murderers & armed robbers / Boy Disguises As Woman To Defraud Guys In Cameroon (Photos) / Original Gangsters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? by lakers: 2:53am On Dec 05, 2006
Nice Thread.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? by lioness(f): 9:38am On Dec 08, 2006
cool
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? by sharetroll(m): 5:59pm On Jan 26, 2007
Certainly not a race issue here.

These kids aren't 'gangsta'. They are kids who are very impressionable. It is up to their parents to instill them with proper beliefs and morals. The kids will ultimately have to make their own decision wheather or not to follow it. For now, let them have fun.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? by dapper(f): 12:34pm On Feb 05, 2007
u dashed ope wotever cripyea right like we have them in naij!!!!
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? by lioness(f): 9:42am On Feb 08, 2007
Chai, yankee don spoil pple english sad
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? by dblock(m): 11:17am On Feb 08, 2007
wazzup niggas what yous on about, i'm pimping with my hommies, cos i'm from the hood, wanna roll with the crip then hop in my ride, take you for a trip to ma crib, where the paper is.

lioness:

Chai, yankee don spoil people english sad

Gawd doe lioness, make you no let me die in fronta ma pc
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? by ehie007(m): 11:18am On Feb 12, 2007
I guess this thread is meant for those living outside the country.
we still in NAija have no imput here so we keep our posts to ourselves embarassed lipsrsealed cry

Peer presure and may be complex issues are the main purpose why some nigerian guys/girls misbehave when they get to america or the U.K

grin grin
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? by Ndipe(m): 10:50am On Mar 30, 2007
Quite common, among Naija men. They want to be like gangstas, speak ebonics, wear hoods, listen to rap and just copy the lifestyles of some African American men. It boils down to inferiority complex, and the chance to 'fit in' with the AA group.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? by dblock(m): 10:56am On Mar 30, 2007
That's me alright wink
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? by GNature(m): 10:58am On Mar 30, 2007
Its just a generational thing. Nigerian guys between 16 and [early to mid twenties] can be found trying to be gangsters. Its more of the youth in them driving this than anything.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? by dblock(m): 12:37am On Mar 31, 2007
Well personally I think. That the "Gangster" Stereotype is one that influences people all around the world, it's not so much about wanting to become Black American or like a Black American but more so in trying to adopt something refreshingly Hip. Jazz was basically created by AAs, but there are Americans(White) in America that practically live Jazz.
Wearing a Top hat and listening to Classical Music in an attempt to culture yourself
Is no different from listening to Rap, whilst wearing a hood.
It's not about trying to be something you're no but rather about been influenced by something you cherish.
There is no culture on earth that hasn't being influenced by other peoples or cultures.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? by WesleyanA(f): 12:56am On Mar 31, 2007
they don't want to seem/look FOB (fresh off the boat)
fitting in with mainstream african americans

yeah i'll agree with gnature. peer pressure affects teens and youth more significantly.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? by ATLANTA96(m): 12:24am On May 23, 2007
THOSE WHO WANT TO BE A GANG STAR IS ALREADY ONE FROM HOME,
BCOX AMERICA IS NOT WHERE U MESSUP AND GET AWAY WITH THAT,
BUT IN NIGERIA U CAN DO A LOT OD BULLSHIT AND GET OUT WITH IT,
BESIDE AMERICA IS A VERY BUSY PLACE THAT U HAVE TO WORK 24/7
TO PAY UR BILL AND RENT, NO TIME FOR RUBISH, BUT FOR THOSE
WHO WANT TO OR WHO ARE GANGSTAR, I WISH U THE BEST BCOX
VERY SOON THEY WILL SEND UR ASS BACK TO NIGERIA
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? by ATLANTA96(m): 12:28am On May 23, 2007
Well body will be like fela, not even femi kuti the son
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? by MP007(m): 8:46am On Jul 28, 2007
depends on the area u live and ur orientation abt life, wouldnt blam e a nigerian living iv OCoakcliff,south dallas,long beach , south central, depend on the tyope of people u move with and most esp, music, aint really down with dresing or acting like a ganster, hate guns
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? by Emkayotis(m): 3:48am On May 27, 2008
Ladyj, i think you are speaking for the few Naija guys that stays in your hood, no shits like that in our end, don't generalise!
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? by Ibime(m): 5:05pm On Jun 04, 2008
Many Nigerian boys try to be 'gangstas' whether in America or not. Even in Naija we formed gangs and did some gangish shit. Yankee has nothing to do with it. It is just childish runs.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? by Novacaine(m): 7:13pm On Jul 05, 2008
So they dont get messed with simple as that sometimes you just have to put niggas in their place and sometimes acting like you can fight can really save you a lot of confrontation
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? by mamag3: 6:39pm On Aug 03, 2009
It's because most of them are Immature.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? by Nobody: 3:35am On Jun 08, 2010
Did you miss something - , Eye, Vikings,

All of these are similar gangs all over NAIJA! i dont think moving to america is the problem, i think its just an african thing - They do it anywhere they live even back home, its just Muscle show!
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? by Nobody: 3:38am On Jun 08, 2010
BTW, its a huge minority, you just happen to live in the wrong side of town. there are Smart brothers everywhere doing their thang and not fooling around with the game and snoop!
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? by Osama10(m): 1:34am On Jun 14, 2010
Trying so had to feel among.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? by bmwlondon: 5:20am On Jun 21, 2010
they need cash grin
Re: Why Do Many Nigerian Guys In America Try So Hard To Be Gangsters? by NessaFresh(f): 9:33am On Dec 12, 2012
stranger: I remember talking with a pakistani guy one day... he ask me if i was a ghanian, i said No. I told him that i was born and bred in Nigeria he was surprised. He now told me hoe he differentiates btw Ghanian and Nigerians .... He said "Nigerians (in America) are always Lousy and gangster wanna bes" While Ghanian Guys are cool Headed and Calm.  The problem is that while in nigeria so many Nigerians have unrealistic expectations of the way AMERICA was and are always shocked at the system (US) and because they lack thinking skills  they respond to the Us system by joining Gangs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

'My cousin taught me how to steal from shops' – 22-year old suspect / Lady Discharges Maggots From Private Part "After Sex With Yahoo Boy" (Graphic) / 11 Suspected Cultists Arrested In Nasarawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.