Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,666 members, 7,816,730 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:00 PM

- Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / (5221 Views)

Yaaji Recipie / / Fufu Recipie Please (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

by Nobody: 5:18pm On Oct 06, 2010
Re: by madlady(f): 7:21am On Oct 07, 2010
@chaircover,my mother makes that type cake (not for Christmas though) full of rum, I love it.

@Poster I've made a few special occasion cakes for  friends, I follow DELIA SMITHS Christmas cake recipe.

@Poster I decorate cakes using the SOUTH AFRICAN methods.

If your interested in trying this version undecided I'll give you the recipe and decorating instructions.
Re: by Nobody: 4:18pm On Oct 07, 2010
Re: by Fhemmmy: 4:28pm On Oct 07, 2010
The more the brandy, the better . . . . so go on jare
Re: by madlady(f): 4:42pm On Oct 07, 2010
chaircover:

Madlady thank you dearie kiss kiss kiss

Can I have the recipe please

OK @chaircover, the book's at my mother's house I will go there tomorrow and post the details then.

Do you also want the instructions for the SOUTH AFRICAN form of icing, it's also called SUGAR PASTE/CRAFT WORK.

I will put up a couple of examples of that type of work (off the net) I will remove pics after.

Re: by Nobody: 4:52pm On Oct 07, 2010
Re: by madlady(f): 5:02pm On Oct 07, 2010
^^No that's why I said I would remove them,they are from the net.

I  will make the 1st for a engagement gift for a friend, if you like that one I will show you how to do it.

That's a very very easy cake to make .
Re: by Fhemmmy: 5:25pm On Oct 07, 2010
Nice cake , , ,
Re: by floxyrangy: 11:53pm On Oct 07, 2010
Please madlady could you post the recipe for south african icing? I usually decorate with Italian Meringue buttercream. I need something different. Thanks.
Re: by madlady(f): 6:35pm On Oct 08, 2010
floxyrangy:

Please madlady could you post the recipe for south african icing? I usually decorate with Italian Meringue buttercream. I need something different. Thanks.

@Hi floxyrangy, I would be glad to, not sure if it would be better if you opened a thread asking us all to share owe cake dec/icing recipes and tips. Maybe it could help us all. smiley smiley
Re: by Fhemmmy: 7:35pm On Oct 08, 2010
Not just recipe oh, would like to see th steps on how to make it oh
Re: by floxyrangy: 9:58pm On Oct 08, 2010
Yea, good idea, but you start it. I'm really good at anything cakes and pastries, but still practicing when it comes to decorating, I only use the Italian Meringue Buttercream recipe cos for me it is much easier and safe,lol. I use the fondant icing too but I'd rather stick to cake baking alone.lol. Won't mind sharing ideas sha,so you can start the topic.
Re: by madlady(f): 3:30am On Oct 09, 2010
floxyrangy:

Yea, good idea, but you start it. I'm really good at anything cakes and pastries, but still practicing when it comes to decorating, I only use the Italian Meringue Buttercream recipe cos for me it is much easier and safe,lol. I use the fondant icing too but I'd rather stick to cake baking alone.lol. Won't mind sharing ideas sha,so you can start the topic.
Hi,  embarassed embarassed I don't really like starting threads embarassed

Fondant icing shocked, do you think that's what is also called SOUTH AFRICAN/SUGAR PASTE (roll out) If it is then I do have a recipe, but I prefer to use what the decoraters use for commercial work, you can also buy in small quantities.

I am more into the decorating side of it.

Fhemmmy:

Not just recipe oh, would like to see th steps on how to make it oh

Great!!!! Could you start it? Quite a few guys here in the Uk run CAKE DECORATING BUSINESS, it makes good money (average wedding cake here cost about £300 uk pounds cry) smiley
Re: by madlady(f): 4:55am On Oct 09, 2010
@chaircover.

This is a basic RICH FRUIT CAKE recipe. You can substitute any of the fruits for any other dried fruit you prefer.

THE NIGHT BEFORE YOU MAKE THE CAKE,PLACE ALL THE DRIED FRUIT AND MIXED PEEL IN A BOWL AND ADD THE BRANDY,COVER OR SEAL THE BOWL, LEAVE FOR AT LEAST 12 HOURS.

This recipe makes a 8inch round cake or a 7inch square. You can double up the ingredients to make a larger cake ( if you make it any bigger than that you will really need to be very careful undecided)

RECIPE:     

600gr of sultanas.
175gr of raisins
50gr   of glace cherries (rinsed and chopped)
50gr   of mixed peel (finely chopped)
3 tablespoons of brandy
225gr of plain flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/4 grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of mixed spice
50gr of chopped almonds
225gr soft brown sugar
1 dessertspoon of black treacle ( I do not use this)
225gr of unsalted butter
4eggs
The grated rind of a lemon
The grated rind of a orange

Pr-heat the oven to gas mark 1 (depends on your oven) 140

Method.

Sieve the flour,salt and spices in a large bowl, in a separate bowl  cream the butter and sugar together (if you have a mixer, then use that)
Mix together until the mixture is light and fluffy (this is the most important part)
Next beat up the eggs, add the beaten eggs, a tablespoon at a time to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.

When all the eggs have been added, fold in the flour and spices. Now stir in the fruit and peel that you've soaked overnight. Add the nuts and lemon and orange rinds

Spoon the mixture into a prepared cake time,spread it out evenly with the bake of the spoon.

TIE A BAND OF BROWN PAPER AROUND THE OUTSIDE OF THE TIN AND COVER THE TOP WITH DOUBLE GREASEPROOF PAPER

BAKE  THE CAKE ON THE MIDDLE OR LOWER SHELF OF YOUR OVEN ( DEPENDS ON YOUR OVEN) FOR 4 TO 41/2 HOURS (DEPENDS ON YOUR OVEN)

When cool wrap in greaseproof paper and store in an airtight container ( my mother adds rum to it weekly, I do not, it makes it too wet for me to decorate)

Check the oven time, this makes a big difference to the outcome embarassed

@chaircover I hope you get more recipes so you will be able to pick which you would like to try. kiss
Re: by Nobody: 8:18am On Oct 09, 2010
---
Re: by floxyrangy: 8:25am On Oct 09, 2010
I have to start baking my xmas cake then. That recipe looks yummy,I hope there'll be something left of my cake by xmas.lol.
I just made some banana bread for breakfast and I'm in cake heaven.
Re: by madlady(f): 8:56am On Oct 09, 2010
@chaircover.

So your a good decorator, that's the part I love, especially making sugar flowers and painting the cakes.

Your oven temp could make or break this recipe (i stick to this because i am use to it, but find it very rich)

I know what you mean about heavy cakes, the first wedding cake i made, my mum made it into a pudding.

Yes that should be 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg.[/b]

I do not make Christmas cake for xmas,we don't celebrate Christmas.

Delia Smith recipe taste fine when soaked for about 4 weeks,the longer you leave it the better it will be.

Leaving out the treacle doesnt make it dry,the rum/ brandy prevent that.  I find treacle bitter.
           Prick holes in the cake with a metal prong (boil the prong in water first) gradually pour the rum/brandy over.

Wrap the cake in greaseproof paper (never foil, it seems to taint the cake)store it in a big plastic box.

I hope you get more recipes so you can have more choice, you have a library of books.
Re: by madlady(f): 2:23pm On Nov 20, 2010
@chaircover, shocked Waitrose seems to be selling a DIY kit of the Delia Smith cake recipe I posted for you,  it costs £10. You may find it's cheaper to buy this, but, if you want to make a larger cake or more than one, it may be better to buy the ingredients the way you normally do. smiley
Re: by agabaI23(m): 2:24pm On Nov 20, 2010
tongue i want one too
Re: by madlady(f): 3:39pm On Nov 20, 2010
^^

You'll get fat. cool
Re: by Nobody: 6:56pm On Nov 20, 2010
Re: by madlady(f): 11:06am On Nov 21, 2010
chaircover:

God bless you Madlady. We have a Waitrose here so I will pop in.

Can you believe that I still havent baked my xmas cake cry

Good luck with your cake baking. smiley
Re: by agabaI23(m): 3:32pm On Nov 26, 2010
madlady:

^^

You'll get fat. cool

Not wjhen I work out daily. I eat what I want honey. Bring the cake wink

(1) (Reply)

Warning!.. These Photos Will Leave You Salivating / The Dangers Of Taking Zero Sugar/diet Coke! Urgent, Plz Read!!! / Nigerian Pizza Be Like (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.