Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,782 members, 7,834,624 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful (9166 Views)

I Was Criticized During The Civil War But I Succeeded - Gowon Encourages Tinubu / IPOB Has Destroyed Nigeria And MNK Has Been Successful / How Nigeria Succeeded In Clipping Twitter's Wings - BBC News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Abkreizi: 1:44pm On Jun 25, 2019
Well they wouldn't have had a stable economy.... I'm not from the south east so those who are should tell us the mineral resources available
Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by garfield1: 1:44pm On Jun 25, 2019
tartar9:
By biafra you should mean the SE and the SE only.Even now after surviving from decades of oil revenue allocations from the Niger-Delta,what have they been able to achieve? Without being in Nigeria,they would have been much much worse off.
You are right but ss areas that overwhelmingly wantvto join could join them esp those at the boundary areas.the se alone wont make it because their igr is the lowest in Nigeria and this wont increase in any new country.their commercial activities only thrive outside the east and it will be hard to repatriate funds back home plus Nigerians will be hostile and make commercial activities unfriendly to them.
Though they are good in innovations but most people view such output negatively plus establishing inland ports and making it function will be difficult.it will be disastrous
Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by zibya: 1:45pm On Jun 25, 2019
Nbote:
It would have been a huge success... Remember back den d South East region included all of d nowSouth South states including Cross River, Rivers and Delta state. If dey could come up with their own innovations and tech to fight dat war, den dey would have achieved a lot by now on tgeir own as a nation..
One of the major reasons the rebels lost the war was because the minorities in the former eastern region actively supported the FG against the Biafrans. The minorities rightfully had a dread of Ibo domination in the proposed Biafra and those fears still linger on till today. Biafra was doomed to fail from the start

1 Like

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by garfield1: 1:48pm On Jun 25, 2019
Abkreizi:
Well they wouldn't have had a stable economy.... I'm not from the south east so those who are should tell us the mineral resources available
I think theres said to be large oil and gas deposits in abia mostly around ukwa axis,oguta and ohaji axis in imo and anambra east lga of anambra.exploration and drilling activities is increasing.there's rice in ebonyi,limestone in enugu and ebonyi,coal in enugu,gold and diamond in anambra etc

3 Likes

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Officialgarri: 1:54pm On Jun 25, 2019
Juliusmalema:

You from Ebonyi and if I attack based on this nonsense you wrote.....Many will cry foul of me not been fair .

I wonder why you can't make a reasonable comment. What is the meaning of what u just wrote..
What's so hard to understand in what I wrote. Okay, if the revenue was enough, why isn't the east more developed than Lagos and so many other parts of the country.

It's a common knowledge even for secondary school students, that 70-80% of Nigeria's revenue comes from oil —which we know is from the south-south. If Nigeria can't let south south secede because of its abundant oil, how do you think a biafra without SS will survive?

1 Like

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jun 25, 2019
Officialgarri:

What's so hard to understand in what I wrote. Okay, if the revenue was enough, why isn't the east more developed than Lagos and so many other parts of the country.

It's a common knowledge even for secondary school students, that 70-80% of Nigeria's revenue comes from oil —which we know is from the south-south. If Nigeria can't let south south secede because of its abundant oil, how do you think a biafra without SS will survive?

I have made my humble point.
Next unguarded comment from you hell will lose.

That's how u generate insults for Igbos and someone was quick to reply you on that statement.

Sometimes I don't really understand you guys.....Mind your statement...dats all.

1 Like

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Abkreizi: 2:01pm On Jun 25, 2019
garfield1:

I think theres said to be large oil and gas deposits in abia mostly around ukwa axis,oguta and ohaji axis in imo and anambra east lga of anambra.exploration and drilling activities is increasing.there's rice in ebonyi,limestone in enugu and ebonyi,coal in enugu,gold and diamond in anambra etc
The economy would have been able to grow as its not a large population .... but what about wealth distribution as it is not a homogeneous population
Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Officialgarri: 2:02pm On Jun 25, 2019
Juliusmalema:

That's how u generate insults for Igbos and someone was quick to reply you on that statement.

Sometimes I don't really understand you guys.....Mind your statement...dats all.
I think rather than make valid point, you prefer to engage in quarrel and insults. I'm not in the mood for that today. Stay of my mentions. Thanks
Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Abkreizi: 2:03pm On Jun 25, 2019
Juliusmalema:

Lets be civil in our words we are all brethren here irrespective of tribe

1 Like

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by PDJT: 2:03pm On Jun 25, 2019
-This one is a discussion by Semi-illiterate Nigerian youths that have never left the shores of Nigeria, let alone Africa.

-OP, you seem to have already reached your conclusion. So, why ask a question in the first place? I bet you think a team keeping unhappy players will somehow magically win a match. grin

-The fundamental problem Nigerians have is lack of decent education on how country or Nation works. Until then, you all are in fools paradise.

-You only need to look outside Nigeria, to see what Igbos are capable of achieving. Just take a cursory look at your female football team. Where are other groups, especially Hausa-Fulani women? You even have the audacity to compare Biafra to South Sudan and Eritrea - comparing Apples and Oranges. You’re really far away from reality...

-Anyway, I suppose you believe you’re better of in Nigeria because your Oyibo Boss told you so. Smh

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by garfield1: 2:05pm On Jun 25, 2019
Abkreizi:
The economy would have been able to grow as its not a large population .... but what about wealth distribution as it is not a homogeneous population
Has Nigeria grown with the aforementioned resources? It is not about population but leadership and social values.the distribution wont change because the nouveau riche and creme and oligarchy will dominate
Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jun 25, 2019
Abkreizi:

Lets be civil in our words we are all brethren here irrespective of tribe

On what basis is he making such outrageous claims....is uncalled for
Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jun 25, 2019
Officialgarri:

I think rather than make valid point, you prefer to engage in quarrel and insults. I'm not in the mood for that today. Stay of my mentions. Thanks

Which mood... apologise because what u wrote is way out of analysis.

Read what same person that replied was able to research out and you here disgracing yourself.
Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by garfield1: 2:09pm On Jun 25, 2019
PDJT:
-This one is a discussion by Semi-illiterate Nigerian youths that have never left the shores of Nigeria, let alone Africa.

-OP, you seem to have already reached your conclusion. So, why ask a question in the first place? I bet you think a team keeping unhappy players will somehow magically win a match. grin

-The fundamental problem Nigerians have is lack of decent education on how country or Nation works. Until then, you all are in fools paradise.

-You only need to look outside Nigeria, to see what Igbos are capable of achieving. Just take a cursory look at your female football team. Where are other groups, especially Hausa-Fulani women? You even have the audacity to compare Biafra to South Sudan and Eritrea - comparing Apples and Oranges. You’re really far away from reality...

-Anyway, I suppose you believe you’re better of in Nigeria because your Oyibo Boss told you so. Smh
Sir i partially align with your views and also empathize with you.its not only igbos overseas thatvsre doing well but all other nigerian ethnicities because an enabling and conducive environment was provided for their skills to thrive plus the society there is organized,meritocratic,necessary amenities provided.this is not obtainanle here in Nigeria and most African countries.

1 Like

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by PDJT: 2:20pm On Jun 25, 2019
garfield1:

Sir i partially align with your views and also empathize with you.its not only igbos overseas thatvsre doing well but all other nigerian ethnicities because an enabling and conducive environment was provided for their skills to thrive plus the society there is organized,meritocratic,necessary amenities provided.this is not obtainanle here in Nigeria and most African countries.

-The real question is why aren’t those groups in charge of Nigeria for most of its creation, creating the “enabling environment”, where competence determines the societal hierarchy?

-Why aren’t Nigerians asking the actual fundamental questions? Why always Igbo this, Igbo that? As if Igbos run Nigeria.

-Igbos have done more for Nigeria, than Nigeria will ever do for Igbos. Fact!

-Biafra would have been and will definitely be far much better than Nigeria. 100% .

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Efewestern: 2:40pm On Jun 25, 2019
Nbote:
It would have been a huge success... Remember back den d South East region included all of d now South South states including Cross River, Rivers and Delta state. If dey could come up with their own innovations and tech to fight dat war, den dey would have achieved a lot by now on tgeir own as a nation..

DELTA STATE was never part of Eastern Nigeria, it wasn't even in Ojukwu's original map, Delta and Edo were first in WESTERN Nigeria, and after so many Agitations, The minorities in the then Western Region had their independent region, The Mid-West. From there it was renamed to BENDEL, before finally splitting into Delta and Edo.

So you are wrong, the entire SS wasn't part of Eastern Nigeria. OP sorry if I'm derailing, just wanted to correct some wrong statements.

1 Like

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by food4tot: 2:45pm On Jun 25, 2019
Efewestern:

DELTA STATE was never part of Eastern Nigeria, it wasn't even in Ojukwu's original map, Delta and Edo were first in WESTERN Nigeria, and after so many Agitations, The minorities in the then Western Region had their independent region, The Mid-West. From there it was renamed to BENDEL, before finally splitting into Delta and Edo.

So you are wrong, the entire SS wasn't part of Eastern Nigeria. OP sorry if I'm derailing, just wanted to correct some wrong statements.

I dont think anyone said Delta is in SS

It's all good, Bendel used to be in the mid-western region.

1 Like

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Efewestern: 2:47pm On Jun 25, 2019
food4tot:

I dont think anyone said Delta is in SS

The guy said Delta State was part of the old South Eastern Nigeria or Eastern region.

2 Likes

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by allcomage: 3:05pm On Jun 25, 2019
The resourcefulness of Igbo is undeniable. Biafra would have been a big success. How can you compare igbo with South Sudan and Eritrea? Igbo is in world court, world bank/imf , grade a leagues, top universities, thousands of manufacturing outfits within and outside Nigeria. Grade a professionals allover the world. In Italy Senate, in polish Senate, 3 UK mayors, cabinet minister in Canada etc.70% literacy inspite of 3year brutal war fought in their enclave. How many South Sudan and Eritrea have you heard of? Among over 300 ethnic nationalities that make up Nigeria, Igbo are the most successful. How can a people that achieved these not make their country successful. In fact the way Jews make Israel is the same way Igbo will make biafra successful. If biafra is carved out of Nigeria, it's influence will overshadow Nigeria in African and the world at large. In Nigeria today Igbo are the highest news maker for good or bad.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by kingzizzy: 3:09pm On Jun 25, 2019
zibya:
One of the major reasons the rebels lost the war was because the minorities in the former eastern region actively supported the FG against the Biafrans. The minorities rightfully had a dread of Ibo domination in the proposed Biafra and those fears still linger on till today. Biafra was doomed to fail from the start

So what you are saying is that the minorities dreaded being dominated by Igbos in Biafra but had no problems being dominated by Igbos/Yorubas/Hausa-Fulani in Nigeria?

That's laughable

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by garfield1: 3:19pm On Jun 25, 2019
kingzizzy:

So what you are saying is that the minorities dreaded being dominated by Igbos in Biafra but had no problems being dominated by Igbos/Yorubas/Hausa-Fulani in Nigeria?

That's laughable
Yes my brother.most tribes will prefer a far enemy than a nearby enemy.the hausa fulanis treated them better
Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by kingzizzy: 3:25pm On Jun 25, 2019
Abkreizi:

It's not mineral resources that makes a country great. Nigeria has all the mineral resources you can think about, Oil, Gas, Coal, Gold, Lime stone, Bauxite, and many more. Yet Nigeria is not great.

Some countries like Japan, South Korea, Switzerland dont have anything but all 3 countries are amongst the 15 richest countries in the world. What made them rich? It is called human resources

The amount of electronics Japan and South Korea make and sell in a month, Nigeria cannot make if they sell Oil for a whole year and thats just electronics. I'm not even going into cars, planes or even agriculture.

The reason I believe that Biafra would have been succrssful had it succeeded is thst the Igbos are a very resourceful and resilient people. Igbos would have looked beyond Oil and at its human potential and produced great things that the world can appreciate. The reason Nigeria cannot progress is because they can never see beyond Oil.

Igbos are successful people, all they need to be great is their own separate country where they can run their affairs as nothing great ever comes out of Nigeria

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by tartar9(m): 3:26pm On Jun 25, 2019
PDJT:

[s]
-The real question is why aren’t those groups in charge of Nigeria for most of its creation, creating the “enabling environment”, where competence determines the societal hierarchy?

-Why aren’t Nigerians asking the actual fundamental questions? Why always Igbo this, Igbo that? As if Igbos run Nigeria.

-Igbos have done more for Nigeria, than Nigeria will ever do for Igbos. Fact!

-Biafra would have been and will definitely be far much better than Nigeria. 100% .[/s]
Why is SE not developed then...why are most of your allocation still based on SS oil,have you guys seen your IGR ...LOL grin

2 Likes

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Abkreizi: 3:28pm On Jun 25, 2019
kingzizzy:

It's not mineral resources that makes a country great. Nigeria has all the mineral resources you can think about, Oil, Gas, Coal, Gold, Lime stone, Bauxite, and many more. Yet Nigeria is not great.

Some countries like Japan, South Korea, Switzerland dont have anything but all 3 countries are amongst the 15 richest countries in the world. What made them rich? It is called human resources

The amount of electronics Japan and South Korea make and sell in a month, Nigeria cannot make if they sell Oil for a whole year and thats just electronics. I'm not even going into cars, planes or even agriculture.

The reason I believe that Biafra would have been succrssful had it succeeded is thst the Igbos are a very resourceful and resilient people. Igbos would have looked beyond Oil and at its human potential and produced great things that the world can appreciate. The reason Nigeria cannot progress is because they can never see beyond Oil.

Igbos are successful people, all they need to be great is their own separate country where they can run their affairs as nothing great ever comes out of Nigeria

Interesting point of view
Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by kingzizzy: 3:29pm On Jun 25, 2019
garfield1:

Yes my brother.most tribes will prefer a far enemy than a nearby enemy.the hausa fulanis treated them better

There is no far or near enemy, there is just enemy. Hausa-Fulani treated them better? How? By owning over 80% of their Oil wealth? Refusing to restructure Nigeria?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by garfield1: 3:32pm On Jun 25, 2019
kingzizzy:

There is no far or near enemy, there is just enemy. Hausa-Fulani treated them better? How? By owning over 80% of their Oil wealth? Refusing to restructure Nigeria?
The north and the ss have been allies right from1960,most ss people preferred npc.in appointments,the northerners have favorites them and assisted them into top national posts.when azikiwe was defeated in the west and came back to the east,prof eyo ita a minority was removed and azikiwe was installed.that was the last straw.

2 Likes

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Abkreizi: 3:33pm On Jun 25, 2019
allcomage:
The resourcefulness of Igbo is undeniable. Biafra would have been a big success. How can you compare igbo with South Sudan and Eritrea? Igbo is in world court, world bank/imf , grade a leagues, top universities, thousands of manufacturing outfits within and outside Nigeria. Grade a professionals allover the world. In Italy Senate, in polish Senate, 3 UK mayors, cabinet minister in Canada etc.70% literacy inspite of 3year brutal war fought in their enclave. How many South Sudan and Eritrea have you heard of? Among over 300 ethnic nationalities that make up Nigeria, Igbo are the most successful. How can a people that achieved these not make their country successful. In fact the way Jews make Israel is the same way Igbo will make biafra successful. If biafra is carved out of Nigeria, it's influence will overshadow Nigeria in African and the world at large. In Nigeria today Igbo are the highest news maker for good or bad.

Being in those positions as you pointed out are because of their Nigerian status... had biafra succeeded there would be a rivalry with nigeria.... because even obafemi said that if biafra goes the south west would also.... The UK loyalty would remain with Nigeria and so would the USA. .... the Name Nigeria has actually done much for the igbo people than others

1 Like

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by Abkreizi: 3:35pm On Jun 25, 2019
kingzizzy:

Its not about enemies even
The minority will feel safe in a country that has already begun its journey than another that is still starting. .. why atleast they know that their rights were protected in Nigeria... than an unsecured biafra... will you nkt prefer to stay in Nigeria than an unsure life in a developing country

1 Like

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by garfield1: 3:36pm On Jun 25, 2019
tartar9:

Why is SE not developed then...why are most of your allocation still based on SS oil,have you guys seen your IGR ...LOL grin
That is the irony.why cant they they within the east turn it into paradise as obtainable abroad.why is onitsha and aba that are revenue spinners still suffering from infrastructural deficit?
Most of their wealthy people make their wealth outside the east thereby summarizing the whole situation

3 Likes

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by garfield1: 3:38pm On Jun 25, 2019
Abkreizi:

The minority will feel safe in a country that has already begun its journey than another that is still starting. .. why atleast they know that their rights were protected in Nigeria... than an unsecured biafra... will you nkt prefer to stay in Nigeria than an unsure life in a developing country
You are right,a bird in hand is better than none.the devil you know is better than an imaginary angel.the minorities as at then produced 90% of the resources in the east but they were neglected.only igbos were given loans in the then eastern devt bank

2 Likes

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by zibya: 3:44pm On Jun 25, 2019
kingzizzy:

That's laughable
That's exactly what happened and you know it. The fear of Ibo domination in a Biafra drove the southern minorities into supporting the federal cause. It's documented history

2 Likes

Re: Had Biafra Succeeded Would It Have Been Successful by kingzizzy: 3:49pm On Jun 25, 2019
Abkreizi:

If that were all true, they would not have taken up arms against Nigeria

If the minorities were actually happy and content within Nigeria they would not take up arms to destroy that which they are happy with

But from the minorities we have had, Niger Delta Avengers(NDA), Movement for the emancipation of the Niger Delta(MEND), Niger Delta Volunteer Force(NDVF) amongst others

These are groups that took up arms, fought the Nigerian government, killed people and destroyed Oil sectors.

The minorities have never been happy with Nigeria, they only remain in Nigeria because they dont have a choice.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Photo Of Vincent Chibuzor: The Man Behind Abba Kyari's Ordeal With FBI / Edo Election: Bayelsa PDP Congratulate Obaseki, Deputy And Party Members / N77 Trillion Debt May Limit Achievements In Tinubu’s Government – MAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.