Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,041 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:37 AM

Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” (21759 Views)

Kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated, Says VP Osinbajo / Osinbajo Reacts To His Meme With President Buhari Discussing / Dolapo Osinbajo Reacts To Vice President’s Helicopter Crash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by Abdulazeez99: 6:33am On Jun 26, 2019
The presidency has released the statement below as the exact words of Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on the rate of kidnapping in Nigeria.
Mr Osinbajo spoke in New York while addressing some Nigerians as part of his official visit to the U.S.

PREMIUM TIMES reported Mr Osinbajo’s statement based on quotes from the government-owned News Agency of Nigeria.

Just as from the NAN quotes, the statement sent Tuesday evening by Mr Osinbajo’s spokesperson shows the vice president as claiming that cases of kidnapping were being exaggerated.
“I don’t think the problem (kidnapping) is as massive as that,” the presidency quotes Mr Osinbajo as saying.
Read the full statement below.

FOR THE RECORDS: WHAT VP OSINBAJO SAID ON KIDNAPPING

*Nowhere was the word exaggerated used
Our attention has been drawn to misleading reports in a section of the media purportedly made by and attributed to Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, on the security situation in Nigeria, in New York.

For the purpose of clarity, and the records it is pertinent to state that Prof. Osinbajo was entirely misquoted and his words taken out of context in the said media reports especially those that quoted him as saying that “Kidnapping in Nigeria is exaggerated and not entirely new”
Nowhere in the Vice President’s remarks at the townhall meeting with the Nigerian community did he use the word “exaggerated,” not even by implication.

His remarks about the social media being hysterical was a general response to comments made by participants at the meeting about information on happenings in Nigeria especially as they relate to security being shared on social media platforms by unverified sources.

WHAT THE VP SAID

According to the Vice President “I really will urge that you don’t rely entirely for information on social media. I think that the social media tends to be hysterical about practically everything.
“I think there is also a lot of politics involved in some of the information as it comes up. I think it is also important to point out that this new wave of issues of security came immediately after the elections. And there is always a connection between this issue of security and elections because many times, politicians’ arm several of these individuals during the electioneering period, and immediately after an election cycle, many of them, having nothing to do and with arms all over the place, resort to the fastest way of making money which is to abduct somebody and ask for a ransom. And that is just one side of the problem.

“But let me dimension it so that you can really understand it better.

“When people say there is security problem here and there, it is not one thing, it is several different things but if it is described as one thing then it will look bigger than it really is. And I am deeply worried about the fact that we might find ourselves unable to resolve these problems unless we drill down to see what the problems are.”

“With respect to general kidnapping which we have seen in certain parts of the country, again this is not entirely new. When you listen to some of the stories, some of them are simply not true anyway. Some are fueled by politics, but there are cases of kidnapping, there is no question at all about that….and every story we try to track and trace. When you track them, you find out that people just tell some stories, but the truth anyway is that there is kidnapping in places where it has taken place. The way to check it is the work we are doing with State governments namely using technology to track cases. These are economic crimes; if people know that they will be caught, and they will not be allowed to get away with their loot, it will stop in the places where it is taking place. That is really the work we are doing with the State governments. We are doing this in the various zones where we see that there are a rash of incidents. We are trying to put in place trackers and all sorts of other equipment that can be used to locate these criminals.

“I am not so sure how many follow the number of arrests that have been made in different state police commands, several have been made. I don’t think the problem is as massive as that, I think we can deal with the question of kidnapping quite easily. I am sure that not so long a time, the news will be a lot better in terms of kidnapping and we will feel more comfortable about life at home.”

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/337033-for-the-records-what-osinbajo-said-about-kidnapping-in-nigeria.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by TRIGITIS: 6:37am On Jun 26, 2019
Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by EngrMcDon(m): 6:45am On Jun 26, 2019
Which kind wahala be this sef. Do they derive joy from lies? Why this government dey deceive people upandan sef

82 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by athaboi(f): 6:46am On Jun 26, 2019
That pastor of a vice president should be ashamed of himself....he has sold his soul for political gains. He has become evil, let him travel through Abuja kaduna high way and see what is happening. He only said it to please those in aro rock, God will not forgive you

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by TooNoisy(f): 6:50am On Jun 26, 2019
Mr Vice President,

Your description of the security situation is not accurate. The terrible security situation is actually under-reported. A lot of atrocities being committed are not being reported.

And please the Buhari administration has not done enough to address the issue; rather it has escalated in most places.

104 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by Flyingngel(m): 6:50am On Jun 26, 2019
Ok
Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by nony43(m): 6:51am On Jun 26, 2019
N
Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by Nobody: 6:52am On Jun 26, 2019
Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by slimthugchimee2(m): 6:52am On Jun 26, 2019
EngrMcDon:
Which kind wahala be this sef. Do they derive joy from lies? Why this government dey deceive people upandan sef

Why don't you go and confirm if its true or not

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by Nobody: 6:53am On Jun 26, 2019
Na the government dey kidnap people. Run from the government

7 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by aolawale025: 6:53am On Jun 26, 2019
The import of his speech is still that its exaggerated even if he didn't use the word

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by israelmao(m): 6:53am On Jun 26, 2019
Facts versus factions.The toughest job to engage in Nigeria now is to defend Buhari government.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by Racoon(m): 6:53am On Jun 26, 2019
So what is different that the presidency have quoted again This govt really have stupid people.

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by datola: 6:54am On Jun 26, 2019
“I am not so sure how many follow the number of arrests that have been made in different state police commands, several have been made. I don’t think the problem is as massive as that, I think we can deal with the question of kidnapping quite easily. I am sure that not so long a time, the news will be a lot better in terms of kidnapping and we will feel more comfortable about life at home.”

So you kids here want the Vice president to go and tell the world that there is massive kidnapping everywhere in Nigeria

PMB, when abriad once said Nigerian youth are lazy and your people almost crucified him.

The man acknowledged the challenge and what they are doing to tame it.

Kudos to the erudite VP!

10 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by omocalabar(m): 6:54am On Jun 26, 2019
Garba Shehu,- misquoted
Femi Adeshina - misquoted
Buhari - misquoted
Buratai- - misquoted
Ganduje - misvideod
Osinvade - misquoted.

Every APC member, misguided

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by Sunnycliff(m): 6:54am On Jun 26, 2019
Lie Lai govt.....

Part of the Next level

6 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by SouthSouth1914: 6:55am On Jun 26, 2019
APC led government is BRAINLESS!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by ABCthings: 6:55am On Jun 26, 2019
Early morning lies...

3 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by SOFTENGR: 6:55am On Jun 26, 2019
Oga Osinbajo don collect bashing too much for this matter. Pls forgive him. He will not say that again. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by Nobody: 6:56am On Jun 26, 2019
“I don’t think the problem (kidnapping) is as massive as that,”

Still same meaning as exaggerated,

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by Komu1048(m): 6:56am On Jun 26, 2019
Hn
Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by nairalee(m): 6:56am On Jun 26, 2019
It's now obvious that the presidency don't understand simple English.

From this excerpt of his comment it's obvious he implied that Kidnapping is exaggerated

“With respect to general kidnapping which we have seen in certain parts of the country, again this is not entirely new. When you listen to some of the stories, some of them are simply not true anyway. Some are fueled by politics, but there are cases of kidnapping, there is no question at all about that….and every story we try to track and trace. When you track them, you find out that people just tell some stories, but the truth anyway is that there is kidnapping in places where it has taken place"

6 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by Asabe4(f): 6:57am On Jun 26, 2019
I am yet to see the difference between what he denied and what was actually said undecided

19 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by ayusco85(m): 6:57am On Jun 26, 2019
Fu.ckk the King.

Sandor Clegane

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:58am On Jun 26, 2019
For the purpose of clarity, and the records it is pertinent to state that Prof. Osinbajo was entirely misquoted and his words taken out of context in the said media reports especially those that quoted him as saying that “Kidnapping in Nigeria is exaggerated and not entirely new”

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by LibertyRep: 6:58am On Jun 26, 2019
Each party should produce video evidences to back their claims.
Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by ecclize: 6:59am On Jun 26, 2019
Everything is wrong about this country even commom to desiminate information... They will corrupt the information nawa o

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by ikombe: 7:00am On Jun 26, 2019
wink

Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by Nobody: 7:01am On Jun 26, 2019
Useless man. Most 'pastors' are fraudulent liars and crooks anyway. You should be wary of characters like Osibanjo who flaunt that dubious 'pastor' title. They are often scum with zero credibility.

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by Lanre4uonly(m): 7:04am On Jun 26, 2019
Anyhow it was said, my thoughts and prayers are with the kidnapped victims.

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo Reacts To Reports Claiming He Said “kidnapping In Nigeria Exaggerated” by Lovelyn451(f): 7:05am On Jun 26, 2019
Oh shut up if your reactions is not gonna stop kidnapping

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2023 Elections: Get Your PVCs, US Government Tells Nigerians / PDP 2023 Presidential Election Campaign Timetable In The 6 Geopolitical Zones / PWC Submits Forensic Audit Report Of Finances Of The NNPC To Jonathan. (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.