Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,906 members, 7,817,682 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. (1361 Views)

Army Alleges Sabotage By Borno Leaders / Patience Jonathan Inaugurates Skill Acquisition Centre In Abuja (photos) / Don't Run Away To East Gov Yero Of Kaduna State Appeals To Ndigbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by AndreUweh(m): 12:27am On Oct 07, 2010
http://www.champion.com.ng/displaycontent.asp?pid=836

Borno: Igbo group launches N500m skill acquisition centre

AHMED MARI, Maiduguri

IN its efforts to reduce poverty and unemployment in the society, an Igbo cultural association under the aegis of Enugu Welfare Association (EWA), Borno State chapter recently launched N500m civic and skill acquisition center to train and equip idle and unemployed youths in various trade and skills.
The President-General of EWA Mr. Desmond Agu said during the event that multi-million naira project would also serve as centre for the promotion of cultural heritage and training for both Igbo and Kanuri youths as well as others ethnic groups in the state.
He said crimes like kidnapping and robbery were by-product of unemployment and idleness, saying that building an ultra-modern skill acquisition centre in Maiduguri will drastically reduced the rate of crime in the state, as youths would benefit immensely from it.
“As we set the pace, other groups and highly placed members of the society will emulate us and gradually we will empower every member of the society and bade farewell to unemployment and its aftermath which is destruction of lives and property in frequent crisis”, he said.
On the issue of cultural renaissance, the Igbo chieftain said that the ancestral meaning of their home state, Enugu, stands for “people from the top of a hill”; hence he said the name had been a metaphor of the rich cultural heritage of the Igbo people of Enugu who are prided and respected for their unique cultural heritages like the Ogene, Adanma Masqurade, Ijekwuete, Ikorodu and Chidodo masquerades which are being appreciated as far away as Germany and other European countries today.
He said that if the western world pride itself with its robust economy, African countries should also thrill the world with her rich cultural heritage which could be harnessed into a veritable tourist attraction that can generate revenue for the continent. Noting further that by the time the multi-million cultural and skill acquisition center is completed, there would be a gallery for the periodic display of both Kanem-Borno and the Igbo cultures.
The Borno State governor, Senator Ali Modu Sheriff was represented at the event by the Head of Civil Service, Alhaji Abba Ashigar, who commended the Enugu State people for coming up with such wonderful initiative especially at a time when the entire state was in dire need for the return of peace shattered by past religious and civil strifes; even as he noted that the Igbos have been part and parcel of the development of the state socially and economically.
Re: Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by AndreUweh(m): 12:29am On Oct 07, 2010
I hope Borno people in Enugu state will reciprocate this kind gesture by building a similar centre in Enugu.
Re: Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by AloyEmeka5: 12:29am On Oct 07, 2010
The President-General of EWA Mr. Desmond Agu said during the event that multi-million naira project would also serve as centre for the promotion of cultural heritage and training for both Igbo and Kanuri youths as well as others ethnic groups in the state.

This is what we need in Nigeria and not serial bombings.
Re: Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by sbeezy8: 12:30am On Oct 07, 2010
how nice i can see igbos are enjoying the north like always grin. they dont want no biafra and it shows
Re: Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by AloyEmeka5: 12:31am On Oct 07, 2010
Andre Uweh:

I hope Borno people in Enugu state will reciprocate this kind gesture by bulding a similar centre in Enugu.

You are killing the spirit with this statement of yours. Borno people must not reciprocate the gesture, if they must, they can do it in another state like Ekiti, Kwara, Jigawa etc but it mustn't be in Enugu.
Re: Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by MaziUche0(m): 12:35am On Oct 07, 2010
Igbos are stupid.

Waste of money and charity starts at home.
Re: Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by AloyEmeka5: 12:40am On Oct 07, 2010
MaziUche0:

Igbos are silly.

Waste of money and charity starts at home.

So their northern hosts are not worthy of receiving charity?. Igbos usually have more progressive mind that other ethnic groups in Nigeria but you are the rare type with a closed mind.
Re: Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by Onlytruth(m): 12:41am On Oct 07, 2010
If only they could have built it in Enugu to attract all those kidnappers from Igboland.
Charity in this case must begin at home. N500 million is more than $3million. That is a lot of money.
Igbo always develop their place of abode. That is why Nigeria will die a sudden death if Igboland  secedes from Nigeria.
Re: Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by AloyEmeka5: 12:56am On Oct 07, 2010
Another backward Igbo spirit on the prowl. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by chyz(m): 1:15am On Oct 07, 2010
Im embarrassed by such a move.I condemn the act.
Re: Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by AndreUweh(m): 1:17am On Oct 07, 2010
chyz:

We need to encourage Borno people in Enugu to act likewise.
Re: Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by Nobody: 1:20am On Oct 07, 2010
As long as the next one is in Ondo or Ekiti lol
Re: Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by grafikdon: 1:27am On Oct 07, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

As long as the next one is in Ondo or Ekiti lol

Ezeuche/MaziUche your buddy will take care of that. Never mind his cyber bravado and machismo.
Re: Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by Arysexy(m): 1:36am On Oct 07, 2010
@ileke-idi, what happened to ur signature 'am owner of mazi uche' have u sold him out?
Re: Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by chyz(m): 1:37am On Oct 07, 2010
Andre Uweh:

We need to encourage Borno people in Enugu to act likewise.

Anything institution wise with these people has to be Quranic other than that no matter what its not happening.The project was a real failure to our peple. A major hospital with good quality supplies could have been built with that money or something.Or simply they could have just built it anywhere in igboland.I hear poverty is a bit of a problem in Ebonyi state,which is right beside Enugwu smh.
Re: Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by udezue(m): 1:44am On Oct 07, 2010
Andre Uweh, I'm with EzeUche, Chyz and other "closed minded" Igbos. Charity begins at home. Ndi Igbo and their continued stoopidity. How can these Enugu ppl be wasting money outside Enugu and Igbo land when we have better things to do back home? They'll soon burn it down when their ritual religious killings begin.
Re: Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by Chimanet(m): 2:04am On Oct 07, 2010
I av stayed in maiduguri, the kanuris are a peace loving ethnic group but the problem is their hausa counterparts who can startup riot at anytime,so for me, i will say its not a very good move becouse most of this igbo men that contributed that money got their shops burnt down during their riots
Re: Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by houvest: 3:36am On Oct 07, 2010
500m? I doubt it.Try 5m or 50m.
Re: Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by Nobody: 3:39am On Oct 07, 2010
grafikdon:

Ezeuche/MaziUche your buddy will take care of that. Never mind his cyber bravado and machismo.
Why not you?

Arysexy:

@ileke-idi, what happened to your signature 'am owner of mazi uche' have u sold him out?
He told me to take it off.
Re: Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by udezue(m): 4:13am On Oct 07, 2010
If they want to employ youth and keep ppl from committing crimes in order to make money they should have gone to Aba jare. I'm sure many will rather do something safe than rely on kidnapping.
Re: Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by grafikdon: 4:15am On Oct 07, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Why not you?
He told me to take it off.

Well. . . his future wife is from Ekiti, so the reason is obvious.
Re: Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by Freewilly(f): 4:26am On Oct 07, 2010
I'm all for development of Nigeria, but building a center like that in the North is a waste of money. That center will be burned down by those useless animals in the next riots. That center should be build in the East biko.
Re: Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by Nobody: 4:36am On Oct 07, 2010
grafikdon:

Well. . . his future wife is from Ekiti, so the reason is obvious.
am still wondering why everyone thinks so. Am too precious to be abused daily because of my tribe.

Once again, why can't YOU?
Re: Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by excanny: 10:04am On Oct 07, 2010
Honestly, i dont feel comfortable with this kinds of Igbo involvement in foreign lands. I really dont get it why some Igbos feel comfortable outside their native land. The government of these communities have enough monies on their hands to fix up their unemployed youth, why must Igbos become the government.

I think we have a lot to learn from Awo on his understanding of this entity called Nigeria.

We always think we have no enemies. So sad!
Re: Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by Nobody: 10:15am On Oct 07, 2010
chyz:

Was it not you that criticized the stoppage of the ibo day celebration in Abuja; northern part of Nigeria ?
Re: Borno: Ndigbo Launches N500m Skill Acquisition Centre. by AndreUweh(m): 1:00pm On Oct 07, 2010
udezue:

Andre Uweh, I'm with EzeUche, Chyz and other "closed minded" Igbos. Charity begins at home. Ndi Igbo and their continued stoopidity. How can these Enugu ppl be wasting money outside Enugu and Igbo land when we have better things to do back home? They'll soon burn it down when their ritual religious killings begin.
I really know you mean well as usual. My only plea is that Borno people in Enugu or any part of Igboland should respond by building a similar centre in their hosts state.

(1) (Reply)

The Crimes Of Gen. Muhammadu Buhari / Gbenga Daniel's Skyscraper That Re-defines The Landscape Of Abeokuta / Nigerian Couple Have A White Baby with blonde hair! Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.