Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,334 members, 7,957,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 11:36 PM

"Messi's Income An Example Of Wage Discrimination Against Women In Sports. " - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "Messi's Income An Example Of Wage Discrimination Against Women In Sports. " (602 Views)

Tottenham Boss Meets Former Coach Of Wage Cut / FG Prohibits Exclusivity Rights In Sports Broadcasting / Josh Maja Rejects Sunderland 7 Times Wage Increase Contract (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Messi's Income An Example Of Wage Discrimination Against Women In Sports. " by ObaKlaz: 4:48pm On Jun 26, 2019
UN Women, an entity of the United Nations, has highlighted the yearly earnings of Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi as an example in their campaign to reduce the wage gap between men and women in sport.

The intergovernmental organisation utilised their Facebook page to highlight the US$84 million-a-year income from his salary, bonuses, commercial deals and other payments being nearly double of the combined annual wage ($42.6m) of the 1,693 women footballers in the top seven leagues.

"One male soccer player makes almost double the combined salaries of all players in the top seven women's soccer leagues," the UN post read. 
Pay discrimination has been a hot topic during the Women's World Cup in France, with 28 U.S. women's national team players currently embroiled in a lawsuit with U.S. Soccer over wage issues.

The lawsuit, which was filed in March, is being led by current USWNT stars Alex Morgan, Megan Rapinoe, Carli Lloyd and Becky Sauerbrunn.

They are seeking financial damages and a stop to "discriminatory practices" allegedly used by the US football governing body in regards to salaries.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/messis-84m-income-highlighted-by-united-nations-in-attack-on/nez736i8c11z1uxn8ck8kgbpv

Re: "Messi's Income An Example Of Wage Discrimination Against Women In Sports. " by Officialgarri: 4:52pm On Jun 26, 2019
You see, football is not strictly for entertainment. It is business. It is a source of generating revenue.

Now we may ask, how much does female football generate compared to male football, in terms of streaming, advert placement, spectators?

1 Like

Re: "Messi's Income An Example Of Wage Discrimination Against Women In Sports. " by ObaKlaz: 5:01pm On Jun 26, 2019
Officialgarri:
You see, football is not strictly for entertainment. It is business. It is a source of generating revenue.

Now we may ask, how much does female football generate compared to male football, in terms of streaming, advert placement, spectators.
Spot on! Even talent-wise, are female footballers at par with their male counterparts? I remember the story of how a team of 15 year old boys beat up Australian Female NATIONAL TEAM 7-0!

1 Like

Re: "Messi's Income An Example Of Wage Discrimination Against Women In Sports. " by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jun 26, 2019
The football federation has made equal opportunities available...yet they want to force equal outcomes....
foot ball is business at the end day....how much impact is women football making financially that they are clamoring for equal pay.....Messi plays better than all the women combined..

U see why this new wave of feminism doesn’t have brain..they just want equality in pay without paying the price of greatness in football.... Una no well....

1 Like

Re: "Messi's Income An Example Of Wage Discrimination Against Women In Sports. " by internationalman(m): 5:24pm On Jun 26, 2019
Like the man full of guts, Donald Trump rightly said yesterday Can they draw attention like their male counterparts

Even if they pay them more than men, they still wouldn't pay bills at home more than men
Re: "Messi's Income An Example Of Wage Discrimination Against Women In Sports. " by AmazonHippolyta(f): 7:14pm On Jun 26, 2019
A lot needs to be put to develop womens football.
It is gradually growing the number of viewers and attention in this womens world cup has increased compared to four years ago.
I enjoy watching football and I love women's football.
I believe the pay would increase in years to come the american women football is better than that of the men in terms of trophies won at the world cup yet they are paid less and are demanding for a better pay.
I hope more sponsors and endorsements etc come in to help womens sport.
And girls need to be encouraged to support themselves so as to kill the stereotype that sport is for men alone because some women have no interest in sports but fashion.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Scoring Against Lions Runs In My Family Blood – Okocha / Nigeria Vs Algeria: Predict And Win N10,000 Recharge Cards / Football Gossip: Fernandes, Dybala, Eriksen, Tierney, Kante, Sessegnon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.