Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,206 members, 7,818,703 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:08 PM

Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt (4056 Views)

NAFDAC Declares State Of Emergency On Bleaching Among Nigerians / NIMET Partners With Tagwaye Foundation On Drug And Substance Abuse Control / Ned Nwoko Declares State Of Emergency On Malaria, Insists On Fumigating Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by hardtoget: 7:09am On Jun 27, 2019
RIGHTS activist Dr. Joe Oke-Odumakin has appealed to the government to declare state of emergency on drug abuse and human trafficking to deal with the menace headlong.

She spoke at the World Day Against Drug and Human Trafficking seminar in Lagos.

The seminar, with the theme: “Drugs are addictive, escaping is hard, don’t start,” brought together security experts, human rights advocates, lawyers and psychologists to share their thoughts on solutions to drug abuse in Nigeria.

Dr. Oke-Odumakin, who delivered the keynote address, noted that there was not enough hands handling the menace.
She attributed substance abuse to peer pressure and unhealthy competition, noting that she always told people to quit trying to be someone else.
She said: “Drug abuse is an abnormal use of drug and too much of everything is bad. There is a nexus between drug abuse and human trafficking as the recruitment are sometimes through drug use. They use the drug either to cope, control or as a reward.

“This is why I always tell people that always want to be like someone that it is wrong because you may not be able to do what they do.

“To overcome drug abuse and human trafficking, one needs to deal with the triggers, which sometimes come in form of boredom, depression, loneliness, anger, rejection, anxiety and stress.

“We also need to talk to ourselves as the root is the heart. We can replace these bad habits with good habits like sports.

Read more here https://thickmatch.com/declare-state-emergency-drug-abuse-oke-odumakin-tells-govt/

Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by nairalee(m): 7:17am On Jun 27, 2019
PROS OF DRUGS
Makes you high
Gives you better performance

CONS OF DRUGS
Drugs kill
Drugs are Highly addictive
Drugs sickens
Drugs makes men run mad
Drugs make men wretched
Drugs impoverishes
Drugs makes one estranged from family and friends
Drugs give Constant need to feed the addiction
Drugs makes one restless
Drugs makes one unfocused
Drugs makes one lose inner peace
Drugs intake is a punishable offence thereby putting you in constant escape from the popo

The cons far outweigh the pros so for those that have not yet ventured into it ask yourself if it's worth it

For those already neck deep in addiction seek professional help stop giving yourself deadlines and being only spiritual. Noone cannot be rehabilitated

Wish y'all the best. Peace ✌️

5 Likes

Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by GentleMoney: 7:17am On Jun 27, 2019
PLEASE!!! LET'S SAY NO!!! TO DRUG ABUSE
Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by Nobody: 7:18am On Jun 27, 2019
educating abusers will be better. drug is addictive and the government approach of banning will never work as it will only lead to smuggling and increase in price .
one of the major causes of drug abuse in Nigeria is joblessness

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by helinues: 7:21am On Jun 27, 2019
Best thing to do..
Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by ssogundele(m): 7:21am On Jun 27, 2019
Please guys, kindly read 2Timothy3v1-5 and you all will know that it unwon battle!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by Rexnegro(m): 7:22am On Jun 27, 2019
I concur
Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by oluwasegun007(m): 7:23am On Jun 27, 2019
We too like paparazzi... Declare SOE with no action...

It is well.
Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by Benekruku(m): 7:25am On Jun 27, 2019
The US has been doing that for years and its getting worse.

Tonnes of cocaine just came in through Philadelphia. That should be one of the largest cargo discovered.

The market is readily available.

Just leave those guys.... Instead of wasting tax payers money.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by Cymix: 7:26am On Jun 27, 2019
Mk12:
educating abusers will be better. drug is addictive and the government approach of banning will never work as it will only lead to smuggling and increase in price .
one of the major causes of drug abuse in Nigeria is joblessness

Finally finally after following Nairaland for more than three years without commenting I broke the bottle today
Admin I need a surprise biko
Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by Peacemaker5129(f): 7:26am On Jun 27, 2019
Odumakin dey craze
How will our aggressive idiotic pigs from rejected region survive without powder?

Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by karma2000: 7:28am On Jun 27, 2019
Drug abuse and child trafficking is a kind of cancer dat can only be cured by karma
Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by israelmao(m): 7:28am On Jun 27, 2019
Everything seems to be in the state of emergency under Buhari government.
Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by Alamu1111: 7:31am On Jun 27, 2019
Lol stress too much for this country na why drug abuse plenty abi I lie

Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by Globalhustler(m): 7:33am On Jun 27, 2019
Na real state of emergency. Na emergency ward go suffer am if dem no curb am ontime
Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by mgh2: 7:38am On Jun 27, 2019
The government can never win the war against hard drugs.

Even in developed countries like USA and the rest are struggling with the menace of drug abuse...

Uruguay understood this very fact and they had to legalize the usage of cannabis and other hard drugs in the year 2013, making it the first country in the world to do such...other countries should do likewise.
Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by livebyday(m): 7:38am On Jun 27, 2019
Peacemaker5129:
Odumakin dey craze
How will our aggressive idiotic pigs from rejected region survive without powder?

Mods tribal bashing , off topic and derailing thread

Mynd44 Seun lalasticlala OAM4J
Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by juvewalex(m): 8:12am On Jun 27, 2019
Is it only drug abuse that's our problem ? What about insecurities, economy growth, health ,bad roads, messed up railway and etc . These should be our major concerns that need state of emergency. What's the % of drug abuse in Nigeria that should get us worried . leave who wan high make e high for e headache, body go tell the person later...
Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by juvewalex(m): 8:17am On Jun 27, 2019
ssogundele:
Please guys, kindly read 2Timothy3v1-5 and you all will know that it unwon battle!
It says it all ...
Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by onwuakpachris(m): 8:29am On Jun 27, 2019
is it ur drug abuse?...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by onwuakpachris(m): 8:34am On Jun 27, 2019
nairalee:
PROS OF DRUGS
Makes you high
Gives you better performance

CONS OF DRUGS
Drugs kill
Drugs are Highly addictive
Drugs sickens
Drugs makes men run mad
Drugs make men wretched
Drugs impoverishes
Drugs makes one estranged from family and friends
Drugs give Constant need to feed the addiction
Drugs makes one restless
Drugs makes one unfocused
Drugs makes one lose inner peace
Drugs intake is a punishable offence thereby putting you in constant escape from the popo

The cons far outweigh the pros so for those that have not yet ventured into it ask yourself if it's worth it

For those already neck deep in addiction seek professional help stop giving yourself deadlines and being only spiritual. Noone cannot be rehabilitated

Wish y'all the best. Peace ✌️
is it ur life?...u that drugs won't kill..will u live forever?...I do rather die of something I enjoy doing than be crushed 2 death by dangote truck or shot dead by SARS..something must kill a man dude...whether u like it or not
Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by nairalee(m): 8:38am On Jun 27, 2019
onwuakpachris:
is it ur life?...u that drugs won't kill..will u live forever?...I do rather die of something I enjoy doing than be crushed 2 death by dangote truck or shot dead by SARS..something must kill a man dude...whether u like it or not

You're totally correct. I won't live forever I will die someday.

However I don't look forward to dying a painful, pathetic and pitiable death.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by onwuakpachris(m): 9:00am On Jun 27, 2019
nairalee:

You're totally correct. I won't live forever I will die someday.

However I don't look forward to dying a painful, pathetic and pitiable death.
lol man u sound so ignorant of death.. which death is not painful and pitiable...have u been with someone suffering from normal chronic illnesses like cancer..diabetes..fibroid..throughout their last weeks prior to death?..I guess u haven't..but I have...8 yrs ago...so let me tell u something man...d days leading up 2 death are so painful and pitiable that most victims beg to just die at once rather than go on with d torture that's why Euthanasia(mercy killing) is legal in most western countries...so js stop deceiving urself man..no death is sweet and gentle except u die by instant accident which is very rare...and which u can't choose urself..as most people die of diseases...and pls don't quote me again..I want to work... shalom
Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by nairalee(m): 9:16am On Jun 27, 2019
onwuakpachris:
lol man u sound so ignorant of death.. which death is not painful and pitiable...have u been with someone suffering from normal chronic illnesses like cancer..diabetes..fibroid..throughout their last weeks prior to death?..I guess u haven't..but I have...8 yrs ago...so let me tell u something man...d days leading up 2 death are so painful and pitiable that most victims beg to just die at once rather than go on with d torture that's why Euthanasia(mercy killing) is legal in most western countries...so js stop deceiving urself man..no death is sweet and gentle....and pls don't quote me again..I want to work... shalom

Lmaoo so u think it's everyone that dies of sickness or slow painful death?

Not every death is painful. Some die in their sleep. If u get shot in the brain, you die instantly without even having time to process the pain of the bullet. There are thousand of ways.

Do u know there are drugs for euthanasia? If u take it, you'll feel so light and happy and drift into sweet bliss of death's embrace.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by Nobody: 9:25am On Jun 27, 2019
mgh2:
The government can never win the war against hard drugs.

Even in developed countries like USA and the rest are struggling with the menace of drug abuse...

Uruguay understood this very fact and they had to legalize the usage of cannabis and other hard drugs in the year 2013, making it the first country in the world to do such...other countries should do likewise.
I swear Canada had to do this too and now crime rates have dropped there Naija just accept it as it is

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by Horus(m): 9:28am On Jun 27, 2019

1 Like

Re: Declare State Of Emergency On Drug Abuse, Oke-odumakin Tells Govt by booksrite(f): 4:17pm On Jun 28, 2019

cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cure Ulcer With Unripe Plantain And Tiger Nut / Stephanie Mcmahon Chest/breast Transformation / Causes Of Itching In Private Parts & 13 Home Remedies To Relieve It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.