Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,670 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:49 PM

NYSC Double Standards - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC Double Standards (628 Views)

NYSC Sending Double Allowance / Nysc 17B Stream 1 Double Alawi / 1 Day Workshop On ISO Standards! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NYSC Double Standards by atheistandproud(m): 10:44am On Jun 27, 2019
This proves that truly Nigeria is an Animal farm. The children of the poor must attend NYSC before they would have a chance to apply for a government job. Many of us have risked our lives in remote areas of the country. Some of us even died yet this is what our masters have to say.

There's no hope for Nigeria.

A Federal High Court in Abuja says a candidate cannot be disqualified from an election for failure to participate in the National Youth Service Corps scheme.

The court made this pronouncement on Wednesday when it struck out a suit brought against the Governor of Ogun State, Dapo Abiodun, by a former senator, Iyabo Anisulowo.

Details of the judgement were sent to PREMIUM TIMES by Mr Abiodun’s spokesperson.

The pre-election suit challenged the eligibility of Mr Abiodun over his failure to participate in the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) scheme.

The NYSC was established in 1973 and participation is mandatory for all Nigerians who graduate from a tertiary institution in or outside the country before they attain the age of 30.

The presentation of the NYSC discharge certificate awarded at the end of the one-year scheme is a requirement for employment into the formal sector in Nigeria.

Last year, the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) disqualified the then Minister of Communications, Adebayo Shittu, from running in its governorship primaries in Oyo State after PREMIUM TIMES exposed him for skipping the NYSC scheme after taking a degree in Law in the late 1970s.

Despite the revelation that he dodged the NYSC, President Muhammadu Buhari allowed Mr Shittu to remain as minister until the dissolution of the federal executive council last month.

The former minister challenged his disqualification from the APC primaries but the court dismissed his suit against the party.

Mr Shittu also accused the APC of double standards for allowing some aspirants such as Mr Abiodun to run for its tickets even though they had also been accused of skipping the NYSC scheme despite being graduates.

The former minister has also sued the NYSC, arguing that participation in the NYSC is not a requirement to hold public office.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/337294-nysc-court-says-graduates-who-skip-scheme-can-contest-governorship.html
Re: NYSC Double Standards by Blue3k(m): 11:38am On Jun 27, 2019
That judgement is odd. I want to see if the supreme court agrees though. If not who needs NYSC.

Front page: Lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: NYSC Double Standards by atheistandproud(m): 11:47am On Jun 27, 2019
Blue3k:
Thats judgement is odd. I want to see if the supreme court agrees though. If not who needs NYSC.

If na so, make we just scrap NYSC because a lot (not all) are skipping service all together and the ones who manage to serve do it in one lucrative PPA in Lagos or Abuja or sit in their parents house. Till now Davido has not serve. He went to camp as a publicity stunt. Yusuf Buhari did not serve. I have not seen DJ Cuppy in NYSC uniform. Who are they deceiving.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Double Standards by Blue3k(m): 12:07pm On Jun 27, 2019
atheistandproud:

If na so, make we just scrap NYSC because a lot (not all) are skipping service all together and the ones who manage to serve do it in one lucrative PPA in Lagos or Abuja or sit in their parents house. Till now Davido has not serve. He went to camp as a publicity stunt. Yusuf Buhari did not serve. I have not seen DJ Cuppy in NYSC uniform. Who are they deceiving.

I agree the program isnt necessary anymore. I feel its just a means for institutions to extract cheap labor from graduates. Lol my favorite example is Kemi Adeosun that produced a fake certificate. She managed to achieve high positions in state and federal government without anyone raising alarm. That's proved these guys dont take vetting process seriously.

The politicians should be lobbied into doing so just like they were with not too young to run. It might need a vero proof majority depending on Buhari's opinion on the matter. At least it wont need constitutional amendment from what I glanced.

Front page: Lalasticlala mynd44

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Top Ten Best States For Nysc And How Much They Pay For Coppers. / Which PPA Pays Scientists In Kano? / Reps Carry Oversight To NYSC Orientation Camp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.