Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,091 members, 7,811,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:57 PM

50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names (2406 Views)

Is It True That Ndiigbo Can Trace Their Ancestry To The Founder Of Their Towns? / Parents Wear Their Kids Igbo Attire,teach Them Igbo Dance So To Know Their Roots / African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by cyrilamx(m): 5:27am On Jun 28, 2019
By The Tide - June 28, 2019

In a seeming resurgence of the tourism sector in Edo State on the back of ease of doing business reforms of the Governor Godwin Obaseki-led administration, 50 African American tourists have arrived Benin City, the state capital, to trace their origin. Some of the African Americans visiting Benin City, Edo State.

The tourists, who arrived Benin from California, United States of America (USA), were entertained by the Benin Cultural Troupe and treated to delicious local African dishes, including palm oil fruits soup (banga), blended vegetable (black) soup, owo soup, pounded yam and agidi (corncake) among others.

Speaking to journalists on the reason for the visit, Mr. Andy Ehanire, a representative of Jemi Alade, organisers of the tour, said the Americans were on a rediscovery visit to trace their root.

He added, “They are coming on a pilgrimage to rediscover the home of their ancestors from where they were taken away more than 400 years ago.

Ehanire said the tour was organised in part, to showcase that these people share a common ancestral heritage with the Benins, so that more African-Americans will be encouraged to visit Benin City and have a feel of the African culture and discover where their ancestors lived.

“Benin is safe. We are civilised and friendly. The tourists will be taken round the city. They will visit the Oba Palace and the Palace of the Enogie of Ugoneki, where they will be given Benin names so they can add to their existing names.”

He said tourism has the potential to grow the economy of the state, noting that some countries have grown their economy with tourist receipts as they receive almost a million tourists on a monthly basis.

“For a place to attract tourist attention, its culture must be unadulterated, there must be security and knowledgeable tour guards,” Ehanire noted.

http://www.thetidenewsonline.com/2019/06/28/50-africa-americans-arrive-benin-to-trace-their-roots-to-get-benin-names/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by Nobody: 5:33am On Jun 28, 2019
Welcome home papi

1 Like

Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by Nobody: 6:53am On Jun 28, 2019
Goodone

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by bigfrancis21: 3:51am On Jun 29, 2019
cyrilamx:
By The Tide - June 28, 2019

In a seeming resurgence of the tourism sector in Edo State on the back of ease of doing business reforms of the Governor Godwin Obaseki-led administration, 50 African American tourists have arrived Benin City, the state capital, to trace their origin. Some of the African Americans visiting Benin City, Edo State.

The tourists, who arrived Benin from California, United States of America (USA), were entertained by the Benin Cultural Troupe and treated to delicious local African dishes, including palm oil fruits soup (banga), blended vegetable (black) soup, owo soup, pounded yam and agidi (corncake) among others.

Speaking to journalists on the reason for the visit, Mr. Andy Ehanire, a representative of Jemi Alade, organisers of the tour, said the Americans were on a rediscovery visit to trace their root.

He added, “They are coming on a pilgrimage to rediscover the home of their ancestors from where they were taken away more than 400 years ago.

Ehanire said the tour was organised in part, to showcase that these people share a common ancestral heritage with the Benins, so that more African-Americans will be encouraged to visit Benin City and have a feel of the African culture and discover where their ancestors lived.

“Benin is safe. We are civilised and friendly. The tourists will be taken round the city. They will visit the Oba Palace and the Palace of the Enogie of Ugoneki, where they will be given Benin names so they can add to their existing names.”

He said tourism has the potential to grow the economy of the state, noting that some countries have grown their economy with tourist receipts as they receive almost a million tourists on a monthly basis.

“For a place to attract tourist attention, its culture must be unadulterated, there must be security and knowledgeable tour guards,” Ehanire noted.

http://www.thetidenewsonline.com/2019/06/28/50-africa-americans-arrive-benin-to-trace-their-roots-to-get-benin-names/

Benin city and slave descendants? When it is on record that the ancient Binis held themselves very royal and barely sold none of themselves into slavery. Slave records show very little to no record of Bini slaves sold during the 400 years of Atlantic slavery. In fact, we may find a tad bit of Urhobos (previously called sobos) or Itshekiris (Jekiris) sold into slavery compared to the Bini.
Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jun 29, 2019
bigfrancis21:

Benin city and slave descendants? When it is on record that the ancient Binis held themselves very royal and barely sold none of themselves into slavery. Slave records show very little to no record of Bini slaves sold during the 400 years of Atlantic slavery. In fact, we may find a tad bit of Urhobos (previously called sobos) or Itshekiris (Jekiris) sold into slavery compared to the Bini.
For your info, Benin city was not a précolonial country. It was the capital of a précolonial country called Benin Kingdom/Empire of which the Urhobos and Itshikeri are members. In other words, those who populate Benin City are linked through blood line to those who populate all the corners of the empire. The notion of tribe in Nigeria is entirely political. By objective definition, the descendants of Benin empire should be considered the same tribe. But for politics, artificial tribes are created while the true ones ...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by gregyboy(m): 7:27pm On Jun 29, 2019
prolog3111:
For your info, Benin city was not a précolonial country. It was the capital of a précolonial country called Benin Kingdom/Empire of which the Urhobos and Itshikeri are members. In other words, those who populate Benin City are linked through blood line to those who populate all the corners of the empire. The notion of tribe in Nigeria is entirely political. By objective definition, the descendants of Benin empire should be considered the same tribe. But for politics, artificial tribes are created while the true ones ...

I guess you are benin, yea am benin too. but its downgrading how you all beg other ethnic group to come under the canopy of benin and even recieving insult from them most times it is shameful you guys should stop it ...it is shameful as been begging for alms .i will never beg a friend
To be my friend or a brother to be my brother rome as never begged the world to come to acknowledged them they do it with freee will
Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jun 29, 2019
gregyboy:

I guesd you are benin yea am benin too but its downgrading how you all begs other ethnic group to come under the canopy of benin or even recieving insult from them most times it is shameful you guys should stop it ...it is shameful as been begging for alms .i will never beg a friend
To be my friend or a brother to be my brother rome as never begged the world to come to acknowledged them they do it with freee will
facts and begging are two différent things.

precolonial maps of Benin Kingdom:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b77595185.r=Benin?rk=21459;2

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b7759521n.r=Benin?rk=21459;2

An other map of Benin made in the 17th century once again:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b530530714.r=Benin?rk=214593;2

An other map of Benin from the 17th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=193134;0

This one date to the 19th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8469390z/f1.item

You need to get yourself educated before talking

1 Like

Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by gregyboy(m): 9:37pm On Jun 29, 2019
prolog3111:
facts and begging are two différent things.

precolonial maps of Benin Kingdom:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b77595185.r=Benin?rk=21459;2

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b7759521n.r=Benin?rk=21459;2

An other map of Benin made in the 17th century once again:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b530530714.r=Benin?rk=214593;2

An other map of Benin from the 17th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=193134;0

This one date to the 19th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8469390z/f1.item

You need to get yourself educated before talking

I never stated they weren't true what is the essence of the unification to become a majour ethnic group ....the benins canr focus on developing edo state they take glory in a archaic gone history...edo state is the worst state in soutg south and yet the people will be chanting on net net defend history calling people under an imagine umbrella when their own language is almost in extinction .......#edostopthebegging#
We beg for the return of art work ,we beg for a unification it is a enough
Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by Nobody: 12:21am On Jun 30, 2019
gregyboy:

I never stated they weren't true what is the essence of the unification to become a majour ethnic group ....the benins canr focus on developing edo state they take glory in a archaic gone history...edo state is the worst state in soutg south and yet the people will be chanting on net net defend history calling people under an imagine umbrella when their own language is almost in extinction .......#edostopthebegging#
shut your mouth. Idiot. You are a big fool who talks too much. Get off my mentions, arrogant slowpoke with no brain who believes he knows better.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by bigfrancis21: 12:36am On Jun 30, 2019
prolog3111:

What you've said still does not negate my point. There are very very few, if any, afro descendants in the west with Bini blood. Since DNA ancestry testing became popular about 10 years ago, hundreds of thousands of afro descendants have been taking the test to trace their paternal and maternal ancestry and I have yet to personally come across any one with Bini ancestry. Not even one. For those traced to Nigeria, it is commonly Igbo, Yoruba and, to a lesser extent, Ibibio/Efik, Ijaw etc. Additionally, I have seen slave ship manifests showing areas of origin of newly arriving slaves and rarely have I seen 'bini', save for once or twice.

The Bini empire may have been a big one around the 16th century, encompassing several linguistic areas such as Yoruba, Igbo, etc. however Bini people themselves were hardly ever sold into slavery. They considered themselves too royal to be sold and their language too royal to be learned by or taught to their conquered areas/vassal states, thus the explanation for very negligible Bini-descended blacks and the restriction of the Bini language to only the Binis themselves.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by gregyboy(m): 9:52am On Jun 30, 2019
prolog3111:
shut your mouth. Idiot. You are a big fool who talks too much. Get off my mentions, arrogant slowpoke with no brain who believes he knows better.

I bet you cant even speak the language you are disgrace to the edo begging everywhere for a long aged history...go make a new history and addd to the benin lagacy and stop the begging

1 Like

Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by Nobody: 10:47am On Jun 30, 2019
gregyboy:

I guess you are benin, yea am benin too.
Benin Kingdom/Empire is the name of my precolonial country. Benin city is the name of its capital. The name of its citizens is Edo. You wouldn't know this because you are clearly not Edo. You are Igbo.
gregyboy:

I bet you cant even speak the language you are disgrace to the edo begging everywhere for a long aged history...go make a new history and addd to the benin lagacy and stop the begging
History by définition is not new Contrary to NEWS. It is about the passed. You need to stop claiming to be Edo while you are clairly not, you don't even know the name of the people. You were exposed long ago as being Igbo. You have no shame and no brains. Do this world a favour and step aside from interacting with other humans.

1 Like

Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by Nobody: 2:16am On Jul 02, 2019
prolog3111:

Benin Kingdom/Empire is the name of my precolonial country. Benin city is the name of its capital. The name of its citizens is Edo. You wouldn't know this because you are clearly not Edo. You are Igbo.

History by définition is not new Contrary to NEWS. It is about the passed. You need to stop claiming to be Edo while you are clairly not, you don't even know the name of the people. You were exposed long ago as being Igbo. You have no shame and no brains. Do this world a favour and step aside from interacting with other humans.
he is right though, I think it's time we stop claiming those that don't want to be claimed.

Let's focus on Edo people in Edo state And all those that identify as Edo in Nigeria, lesser tribes don't follow begging tribe, just see the insults Igbo's get daily be trying to claim others and formed unity
Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by Nobody: 2:19am On Jul 02, 2019
gregyboy:

mind you Edo state is the least funded state in the south south, delta ,bayelsa,akwa ibom get 3 times our resources so it's not our fault.

Bayelsa is actually the most underdeveloped south south States
Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by gregyboy(m): 4:17am On Jul 02, 2019
Excaperx:
mind you Edo state is the least funded state in the south south, delta ,bayelsa,akwa ibom get 3 times our resources so it's not our fault.

Bayelsa is actually the most underdeveloped south south States

And under which sometimes can be argued its edo not bayelsa ...we have everything to structure the state even if our budget are low ....tourism should be edo source of income...the other day 50 americans came to benin for tourism even if benin had no history of slave they came for simply tourism ...this could fetch edo state money...not calling or begging all the time for unification....our ancestor left edo proud we should leave edo proud too for our next generation by beating the previous predecessor instead we sit and argue thier tales... Is it someone like #prolong that can't eve speak tge dialect but argue all day long for is ego
Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by Nobody: 6:47am On Jul 02, 2019
gregyboy:

And under which sometimes can be argued its edo not bayelsa ...we have everything to structure the state even if our budget are low ....tourism should be edo source of income...the other day 50 americans came to benin for tourism even if benin had no history of slave they came for simply tourism ...this could fetch edo state money...not calling or begging all the time for unification....our ancestor left edo proud we should leave edo proud too for our next generation by beating the previous predecessor instead we sit and argue thier tales... Is it someone like #prolong that can't eve speak tge dialect but argue all day long for is ego
you are right, we should stop begging for unification. Bini, esan and afemai have proven they are part of the Edo family so it should be like that except of other tribes comes to identifiy with us.

Tourism's should not be our main source of income, we should go industrialised, that's why I love what obaseki is doing, the ijaw miscreants that wanted to rewrite history has been put in their place, that's one of victory for the oba of Benin.

The Benin port work will start in 2020 and finish in 2022, just imagine what Edo state will start generating, we will become the second most industrialised state after Lagos.

I've seen how these urhobo people talk about Edo because of oil, they think crude oil last forever, they have forgotten how we help them to survive with just palm oil.

We need to get working
Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by gregyboy(m): 7:49am On Jul 02, 2019
Excaperx:
you are right, we should stop begging for unification. Bini, esan and afemai have proven they are part of the Edo family so it should be like that except of other tribes comes to identifiy with us.

Tourism's should not be our main source of income, we should go industrialised, that's why I love what obaseki is doing, the ijaw miscreants that wanted to rewrite history has been put in their place, that's one of victory for the oba of Benin.

The Benin port work will start in 2020 and finish in 2022, just imagine what Edo state will start generating, we will become the second most industrialised state after Lagos.

I've seen how these urhobo people talk about Edo because of oil, they think crude oil last forever, they have forgotten how we help them to survive with just palm oil.

We need to get working

the urhobo have never looked down on us we made ourselved look like fool have ever asked first vistor to edo state how they imagine edo state like before thier arrival most imagined to be the best state among the south south not because anything but because us is popularity at arrival it like everyother condemn state were the people are living in past glory..like the guy prolog..our brothers from oversee come to build houses and thats it. not even industry ...warri that i know is better than benin in comparism outstide basic amenities as a capital so edo state is worth talking belittled on instead focusing on unification lets from cus on tourism and industry individually
Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by Nobody: 8:42am On Jul 02, 2019
gregyboy:

the urhobo have never looked down on us we made ourselved look like fool have ever asked first vistor to edo state how they imagine edo state like before thier arrival most imagined to be the best state among the south south not because anything but because us is popularity at arrival it like everyother condemn state were the people are living in past glory..like the guy prolog..our brothers from oversee come to build houses and thats it. not even industry ...warri that i know is better than benin in comparism outstide basic amenities as a capital so edo state is worth talking belittled on instead focusing on unification lets from cus on tourism and industry individually
God bless you
Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by goalernestman: 9:42am On Jul 02, 2019
gregyboy:

We don't need best state in this fking country of Fulani we don't want to be their slaves we just need our country back and every true history most be told. Yoruba and igbo have stole our history for long now.

Do You actually think those America follow DNA lol they follow history they read online which igbo and yourba have turn u started seeing them coming to Benin because some have started reading the real fact now.

Bro I can assure you that European bought 0 not even one but 0 slaves from Yoruba and igbo.
Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jul 02, 2019
Excaperx:
he is right though, I think it's time we stop claiming those that don't want to be claimed.

Let's focus on Edo people in Edo state And all those that identify as Edo in Nigeria, lesser tribes don't follow begging tribe, just see the insults Igbo's get daily be trying to claim others and formed unity
If I see a cat, I will tell it that it is a cat even if it claims to be a dog. History is not about accepting the claims of people, it is about saying what can be proven and that is what I do. I will never compromise with the truth. I will only say the full truth and nothing else, no matter whom it hurts. Your own end game, I don't know.
Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by Born2Breed(f): 1:46pm On Jul 02, 2019
gregyboy:

I guess you are benin, yea am benin too. but its downgrading how you all beg other ethnic group to come under the canopy of benin and even recieving insult from them most times it is shameful you guys should stop it ...it is shameful as been begging for alms .i will never beg a friend

No one is begging it's about history and saying it as it is.

Majority of Delta state are grouped under the Edoid.
Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by Favor99(m): 9:13am On Jul 03, 2019
goalernestman:

We don't need best state in this fking country of Fulani we don't want to be their slaves we just need our country back and every true history most be told. Yoruba and igbo have stole our history for long now.

Do You actually think those America follow DNA lol they follow history they read online which igbo and yourba have turn u started seeing them coming to Benin because some have started reading the real fact now.

Bro I can assure you that European bought 0 not even one but 0 slaves from Yoruba and igbo.
Oh ok what’s the real fact? So some Black Americans come from Benin?

1 Like

Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by goalernestman: 5:57pm On Jul 03, 2019
Favor99:

Oh ok what’s the real fact? So some Black Americans come from Benin?

The real fact is.
All black bought by European in Nigeria was taken from Benin.

Benin and Ida is the only empire that ever existed in South Nigeria.

European only come in contact with igbo and Yoruba from 19th century.

Igbo was not biafra but was half Ida half Benin.
Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by Favor99(m): 10:11pm On Jul 03, 2019
goalernestman:

The real fact is.

Wow I didn’t know. Why was this history hidden then? Why have we been told that African Americans are Igbo. What’s Ida? Where slaves from Benin taken to other parts or just to America

1 Like

Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by bigfrancis21: 11:10pm On Jul 03, 2019
goalernestman:

The real fact is.

Are you serious? cheesy shocked

1 Like

Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by goalernestman: 8:11pm On Jul 04, 2019
Favor99:

Wow I didn’t know. Why was this history hidden then? Why have we been told that African Americans are Igbo. What’s Ida? Where slaves from Benin taken to other parts or just to America

Who is saying this is media of Yoruba and igbo that 2 of the major tribe now in the region.
When you start researching of place black ws bought and start going deep it will change from Yoruba and igbo to bight of Benin and Bonny, later to Benin empire and ida empire.

Slaves that was bought by the European in 9ja was only Lagos that slave cost, calaba, delta, edo this are the only place and this 3 places was govern by Benin king and chf, so are you telling me igbo or oyo empire as they say came to sell slave to European in Benin nation a nation not theirs and also never conquered?.
Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by bigfrancis21: 10:33pm On Jul 04, 2019
Edo Warrior Kingdom Opposed Atlantic Slave Trade
By Naiwu Osahon (Last update 09/10/2017)

Although over 30 per cent (about a third) of the Atlantic Slave Trade took place in the territory under Edo control, the Bight of Benin region of West Africa, the territory was too vast for the kingdom to police on a day by day and minute by minute basis, to prevent the trade. It was taboo, however, to capture or sell an Edo citizen and because the kingdom reasonably monitored this well, the African Diaspora has no concentration of Edo citizen slaves. Edo Chiefs had thousands of slaves captured in their territorial expansion wars but would not sell any. The Edo belief and saying was: "What level of hunger and deprivation would make an Edo Chief sell his slaves?" Rather than sell, Edo Chiefs helped thousands of slaves to escape from White holding camps in Edo territory. In fact, Edo Oba Eresoyen was shot at in his palace by a White slave merchant because he refused to help with the re-capture of escapee slaves from the White merchant's holding camps, hiding in Edo Chiefs farms in Edo kingdom.

European slave trade in West Africa started with the acquisition of domestic servants in 1522, and warrior kingdoms like Edo (Benin) had plenty of them captured as war booties, but would not sell them. The slave trade was very unpopular with the Edo people. They thought it was silly to sell fellow human beings. Their Obas and nobles were vehemently opposed to the business of slave trade and to the export of the productive fighting male. The Edo, of course, could not control the day to day happenings of the slave merchants, who apparently largely acted under cover at first in the vast territories under Edo hegemony. However, it was forbidden to sell or take a native Edo (Bini) into slavery and so elaborate identification marks on faces and chests were eventually contrived. The Bini, therefore, were hardly ever captured by Arabs or Europeans into slavery.

Alan Ryder, writing on this in his book: Benin and the European, narrated the experience of the Portuguese merchant, Machin Fernandes in Benin as early as 1522: That was during the reign of Oba Esigie.

"Of the whole cargo of 83 slaves bought by Machin Fernandes, only two were males - and it is quite possible that these were acquired outside the Oba's territory - despite a whole month (at Ughoton) spent in vain attempts to have a market opened for male slaves. The 81 females, mostly between ten and twenty years of age, were purchased in Benin City between 25 June and 8 August at the rate of one, two or three a day."

None of the 83 slaves was an Edo person, according to Ryder, and no Edo person could have been involved in the sales. It was taboo in Edo culture. Edo Empire was vast, with a great concentration of people from different ethnic backgrounds, Yoruba, Ibo, Itsekiri, Ijaw, Urhobo, Igalla etc., making a living in the lucrative Ughoton route that was the main centre of commercial activities in the southern area at the time, of what later became Nigeria.

Alan Ryder, recording the experiences of yet another European merchant, the French trader and Captain called Landolphe, in Benin in February 1778, said, "the Ezomo (leading military Chief) was the richest man in Benin, owning more than 10,000 slaves, none of whom was ever sold." The author then commented: "His (the Ezomo's) refusal to sell any of his slaves is also noteworthy for the light it sheds upon the attitude of powerful Edo chiefs towards the slave trade: however numerous they might be, a great man did not sell his slaves." Says Edo people: "vbo ghi da Oba no na mu ovionren khien?" Meaning, "what need does the Oba want to satisfy by putting out his slave for sale?"

https://www.edoworld.net/Edo_Warrior_Kingdom_Opposed_Atlantic_Slave_Trade.html

1 Like

Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by bigfrancis21: 10:38pm On Jul 04, 2019
From all indications, these african americans are looking for a cultural identity but are very likely and not in any way of edo ancestry. They may choose to identify with edo culture but their DNA ancestry definitely belongs somewhere else.

1 Like

Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by Favor99(m): 11:35pm On Jul 04, 2019
goalernestman:

Who is saying this is media of Yoruba and igbo that 2 of the major tribe now in the region.
When you start researching of place black ws bought and start going deep it will change from Yoruba and igbo to bight of Benin and Bonny, later to Benin empire and ida empire.

Slaves that was bought by the European in 9ja was only Lagos that slave cost, calaba, delta, edo this are the only place and this 3 places was govern by Benin king and chf, so are you telling me igbo or oyo empire as they say came to sell slave to European in Benin nation a nation not theirs and also never conquered?.
Oh ok
Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by goalernestman: 5:28pm On Jul 05, 2019
bigfrancis21:
Edo Warrior Kingdom Opposed Atlantic Slave Trade
By Naiwu Osahon (Last update 09/10/2017)

Although over 30 per cent (about a third) of the Atlantic Slave Trade took place in the territory under Edo control, the Bight of Benin region of West Africa, the territory was too vast for the kingdom to police on a day by day and minute by minute basis, to prevent the trade. It was taboo, however, to capture or sell an Edo citizen and because the kingdom reasonably monitored this well, the African Diaspora has no concentration of Edo citizen slaves. Edo Chiefs had thousands of slaves captured in their territorial expansion wars but would not sell any. The Edo belief and saying was: "What level of hunger and deprivation would make an Edo Chief sell his slaves?" Rather than sell, Edo Chiefs helped thousands of slaves to escape from White holding camps in Edo territory. In fact, Edo Oba Eresoyen was shot at in his palace by a White slave merchant because he refused to help with the re-capture of escapee slaves from the White merchant's holding camps, hiding in Edo Chiefs farms in Edo kingdom.

European slave trade in West Africa started with the acquisition of domestic servants in 1522, and warrior kingdoms like Edo (Benin) had plenty of them captured as war booties, but would not sell them. The slave trade was very unpopular with the Edo people. They thought it was silly to sell fellow human beings. Their Obas and nobles were vehemently opposed to the business of slave trade and to the export of the productive fighting male. The Edo, of course, could not control the day to day happenings of the slave merchants, who apparently largely acted under cover at first in the vast territories under Edo hegemony. However, it was forbidden to sell or take a native Edo (Bini) into slavery and so elaborate identification marks on faces and chests were eventually contrived. The Bini, therefore, were hardly ever captured by Arabs or Europeans into slavery.

Alan Ryder, writing on this in his book: Benin and the European, narrated the experience of the Portuguese merchant, Machin Fernandes in Benin as early as 1522: That was during the reign of Oba Esigie.

"Of the whole cargo of 83 slaves bought by Machin Fernandes, only two were males - and it is quite possible that these were acquired outside the Oba's territory - despite a whole month (at Ughoton) spent in vain attempts to have a market opened for male slaves. The 81 females, mostly between ten and twenty years of age, were purchased in Benin City between 25 June and 8 August at the rate of one, two or three a day."

None of the 83 slaves was an Edo person, according to Ryder, and no Edo person could have been involved in the sales. It was taboo in Edo culture. Edo Empire was vast, with a great concentration of people from different ethnic backgrounds, Yoruba, Ibo, Itsekiri, Ijaw, Urhobo, Igalla etc., making a living in the lucrative Ughoton route that was the main centre of commercial activities in the southern area at the time, of what later became Nigeria.

Alan Ryder, recording the experiences of yet another European merchant, the French trader and Captain called Landolphe, in Benin in February 1778, said, "the Ezomo (leading military Chief) was the richest man in Benin, owning more than 10,000 slaves, none of whom was ever sold." The author then commented: "His (the Ezomo's) refusal to sell any of his slaves is also noteworthy for the light it sheds upon the attitude of powerful Edo chiefs towards the slave trade: however numerous they might be, a great man did not sell his slaves." Says Edo people: "vbo ghi da Oba no na mu ovionren khien?" Meaning, "what need does the Oba want to satisfy by putting out his slave for sale?"

https://www.edoworld.net/Edo_Warrior_Kingdom_Opposed_Atlantic_Slave_Trade.html

Like I said before all this your story are carried by igbo as you are and Yoruba.

Bring the full article of Alan Ryder here let talk not just a little coin quote rewrite by other authors.

European traded slaves in South which was Benin then, and also the European only mentioned the Benins, Benin king, Benin chif as the only people they traded with at that region. They never mentioned Yoruba Oyo igbo or biafra. They said they only bought Cameroons from biafra.

Infant the European never know or traded with Yoruba and igbo until 19th century after slave trading have been abolish.
Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by goalernestman: 5:38pm On Jul 05, 2019
bigfrancis21:
From all indications, these african americans are looking for a cultural identity but are very likely and not in any way of edo ancestry. They may choose to identify with edo culture but their DNA ancestry definitely belongs somewhere else.

You people Yoruba igbo stealing Benin legacy. Before it was nri kingdom oyo empire and a little Benin kingdom that was in south Nigeria then now it now only Benin that was there but Yoruba and igbo do the trading lol.

Am glad black people have started digging on the truth.

Is you igbo people that will also say nri kingdom was peaceful good people who never sold their self out now it now the Benin.
Re: 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names by goalernestman: 5:44pm On Jul 05, 2019
You said Benin never took part in slave trade what is this I found in what you post.

The 81 females, mostly between ten and twenty years of age, were purchased in Benin City between 25 June and 8 August at the rate of one, two or three a day."

Soon everybody will know you people's lies not soon because it has even started. As long as all Benin history has fact which igbo and Yoruba don't have people will soon know

(1) (2) (Reply)

Before You Marry That Igbo Girl,know These Facts / Discover Ile Ife / How Can I Join Money Ritual Occult Society To Do Blood Money Ritual And Riches

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.