Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,119 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:36 PM

Aondoakaa Stripped Of San Title: Now I'm Loving This - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Aondoakaa Stripped Of San Title: Now I'm Loving This (771 Views)

How Michael Aondoakaa’s Rice Business Attracted America’s Attention / Photo: Female Students Caught Stealing At Port Harcourt Boutique & Stripped / Mortician Arrested Over Stolen Corpse Of SAN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Aondoakaa Stripped Of San Title: Now I'm Loving This by Nobody: 10:20am On Oct 08, 2010
Former Attorney-General of Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Chief Michael Aondoakaa lost his privilege as the Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) on Thursday over sundry allegations of abuse of office and privileges, during his tenure as the nation’s chief law officer.

The body of Legal Practitioners’ Privileges Committee (LPPC) suspended indefinitely, the former AGF following a petition sent by the Committee for the Defence of Human Rights (CDHR) where detailed abuses allegedly perpetrated by him, were highlighted.

In what appears like a landmark decision, the LPPC’s indefinite suspension of Aondoakaa was the first time in the history of legal practice in Nigeria that a SAN would be stripped of his title. Specifically, Aondoakaa was accused of deliberately abusing his office by stalling several high profile cases of Advanced Fee Fraud involving notable Nigerians through fraudulent manipulation of the judicial process.

He was also accused of fraudulently terminating some of the 419 cases in court by issuing unjustified Nolli Prosequi to withdraw charges against the accused persons including a legal practitioner, Moses Odiri and business tycoon, Jimoh Ibrahim. The petitioner averred that in some cases, trial had reached advanced stage before the AGF stepped in, thereby serving as obstacles to the anti-corruption crusade of the government he served.

According to the petition signed by the CDHR president, Olasupo Ojo, Aondoakaa was accused of deliberately misleading the Federal Government through the issuance of fraudulent legal opinion on cases of money laundering of international dimension involving the former Governor of Delta State, Chief James Ibori currently being detained by Dubai authorities.

The petition averred that Aondoakaa abused his office when he issued legal opinion to the late President Umaru Yar’Adua government which tends to suggest that the Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC) can not engage in mutual cooperation with the British Metropolitan Police on supply of evidence materials for the prosecution money laundering suspects. He was accused of deliberately misleading foreign countries on the prosecutional autonomy of EFCC by suppressing the truth and fact about its independence and power to engage foreign countries on cooperation on issues that have to do with money laundering.

CDHR also averred that the ex AGF stifled the probe of multimillion dollar Halliburton bribery scandal by sending a letter to the French authorities to divert attention from the true position of the case.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/oct/08/national-08-10-2010-018.htm
Re: Aondoakaa Stripped Of San Title: Now I'm Loving This by Nobody: 10:22am On Oct 08, 2010
I wonder what his troubled face will look like, I thought he was always smiling; Just for the fact that he was against civil democratic process that would favour the SS tongue

(1) (Reply)

Mtn Directory / Happy New Month / Nigerian And Girlfriend Loses $800,000 Dollars In A Tv Game Show(wrongfully)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.