Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,521 members, 7,854,246 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 01:08 PM

Ruga Settlement - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ruga Settlement (186 Views)

PDP Blasts Obaseki Over Silence On RUGA Settlement / Ruga Settlement Is To Resolve Farmer/Herder Conflicts - Presidency / Ruga Settlement Will Benefit Fulani Herdsmen Only – HURIWA Cautions Buhari Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ruga Settlement by Rossimobis(m): 6:06pm On Jul 01, 2019
As a lad, one of the things I took note of was cows along the road, I could still remember asking my late Dad in one occasion , I believe at age 7 why the cows can't be kept in a place the way fowls are kept and he told me that it is possible to do that and it is called Cattle Ranching, his words re-echoed in my memory the moment I started thinking about this development about RUGA in Nigeria.

-Ndi Hausa na achi efi na eme ka efi

Honestly I didn't understand what he meant by that...' Ndi Hausa na achi efi na eme ka efi'... in English, ' The Huasa natives rearing cows behaves like cows'.

I never bothered to ask him for explanation so i had this mindset that truly the cattle rearers behaves like the cows they rear but I got to understand what he actually meant as I got older. You see my late Dad was right, the best place to rear cow and cattle is in a ranch, it is not good for cows, cars and other road users to struggle for passage along the road, many road accidents which cost human lives has been caused by cows and cattle along the road.

Present day Nigeria.

The Federal government of Nigeria wants to establish RUGA settlement and this is simply to address the clashes between herdsmen ( cattle rearers) and obviously farmers in the country. These farmers can be found largely in the Eathern and Southern part of the country. The plan is a Rural settlement in which the cattle rearers mainly Fulani herdsmen from the Northern part of the country who are considered migrants to a particular part of the country are legally settled in a host community/state.

Why do people frown at this plan by the Federal Government?

Nigerians are free as Nigerians to settle and live legally in any part of the country and to carry out their legal businesses and works that is why you see people mainly from the Eathern part of the country who are mostly known for trading settled and doing their trading in almost all the states in Nigeria and few examples are the Eathern traders in Lagos state, Sokoto state, Kano state, Edo state, Bauchi state, Abuja, Kwara state etc. These traders and predominantly Igbos. The Igbos have established market places all over the country and no one frowns at it, they are hosted in these states and live happily so why can't the Fulani herdsmen establish ranches in the eastern part of the country?

The truth is that the fulani herdsmen have been living and rearing their cattles in other parts of the country for ages despite the clashes we see of recent but the Federal Government's plan to establish ranches to curb the clashes is illegal as far as I am concerned.

How many markets were built by the Federal Government in other parts of the country to help people from the Eastern part of the country strive in their businesses?

How many people from the Eastern and Southern parts of the country are legally settled in other parts of the country by the Federal government rural integration plan? (If there be any of such plan)

The Federal Government desires to establish ranches in the Estern and Southern part of the country but had never thought of building markets even in these parts of the country talk more of in other parts of country so why is this RUGA program so important?

If the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA wants to build ranches, they can do that in the states of origin of the cattle rearers and if any cattle rearer wants to expand his or her business to other parts of the nation, the person should do it by registering his cattle breeding business with the Company and Allied Matters then buy a land in the state/ community then establish his or her ranch. Mind you, there is a regulation regarding this.

RUGA settlement is not welcomed by even the Governors and community leaders of the Eathern and Southern parts of the country and this is simply to show you how devided we are in Nigeria. Until we begin to see each other as one then we can freely integrate and RUGA settlement will not be seen as the imposition of the hausa fulani on the igbo man.

RUGA settlement poses lots of security threat to the lives of the people of the Eastern and Southern parts of the country so it is illegal and not welcomed.

http://saharareporters.com/2019/06/30/buhari-seeking-colonize-nigeria-through-establishment-ruga-settlement-%E2%80%93-southern-and

https://www.channelstv.com/2019/07/01/ruga-settlement-an-attempt-to-fulanise-nigeria-jonathan-asake/

https://dailypost.ng/2019/06/30/herdmen-attacks-setting-ruga-settlement-across-nigeria-presidency/

https://allafrica.com/stories/201907010053.html

(1) (Reply)

If We Work Together Nigerian Would Have New Lease Of Life, SGF Tells Ahmed Lawan / Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo Stepping Down / Tribunal Rejects PDP, Atiku’s Request To Re-argue Apc’s Objection To Petition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.