Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,646 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde (15481 Views)

Governor Makinde Joins NLC Protest In Oyo / JUST IN: Zamfara Is Bankrupt, Governor Cries Out. / Fintiri: Edo Is Technically A PDP State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by toba1909(m): 7:43pm On Jul 02, 2019
Ecstasy154:
*calls for translation of research to impact

By Yinka Adeniran, Ibadan

Just two days after declaring that the state is indebted to the tune of at least N150billion, Governor Seyi Makinde on Tuesday said the state government is technically bankrupt with his administration still looking at ways to salvage the situation and run the government.

He said the situation is so critical that, if the state was to be a private entity, he won’t lend a dime to the state government but would advise them to start winding up proceedings.

This is as he also promised to make a pronouncement on how to turn around the hitherto moribund Agbowo shopping Complex which he described as eyesore and security threat to both the university and neighbouring communities within the first 100 days of his administration so that it would be of benefit to the state in general.

The governor made the revelation while playing host to the members of the Governing Council of University of Ibadan who were in his office on a courtesy call.

Noting that UI is an important member of the community, the governor said his government will collaborate with the institution especially in the areas of Public-Private Partnership which will endear a kind of synergy between academia and the government.

He appealed to the visitors to ensure that many of the research outcomes on the university shelves are brought out to the government to be utilized to better the lives of the people.

Makinde said “The University is a very important member of this community. We will like to collaborate with the university especially in the area of Public-Private Partnership (PPP) and for us, there should be a serious synergy between the academia and the government because the majority of the very good research outcomes stay on the shelf in the university.

“We want those to come out for us to work together to utilize those research outcomes to better the lives of our people. The government of Oyo state is keen and ready for such a partnership.

“The Agbowo shopping complex in front of the university is an eyesore. It is a lot of money that was sunk in there and we are not getting any value. As a matter of fact, that structure is a security threat to the university community. We are looking at it and I am sure before we mark our 100 days, there will be a pronouncement on how we intend to turn that shopping complex into something that brings benefit to the university community and residents of the state in general.

https://thenationonlineng.net/oyo-is-technically-bankrupt-says-makinde/

This man is a numbskull. The state is bankrupt yet you're able to pay salaries of June without the FAAC held?

Say something else, the statistics of the states with the highest debts doesn't include Oyo state. Meanwhile some States have debt as allow as 120b, where is your own 150b coming from dunce.
Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by uuzba(m): 7:47pm On Jul 02, 2019
DameB:

I think the idea behind building the structure back then was for it to serve as a shopping centre for the university students. But the likes of preboye and others set up shop around there offering stores and the Bódìjà market is nearby so i guess Oyo government needs to ramp up the usefulness of the building and if renovating or selling it is the way to go. Because that is still prime location
I did my Masters in Huddersfield, UK. The small I know about the town was that, in the '40s, '50s, they had plenty factories in Huddersfield. They were processing wool (from sheep). Since the workers needed a place to stay, the town was built up. Plenty small-small houses, roads and markets.
As things became more industralised they started cheaper importation, they had to close down the factories.
One particular factory was converted into the computer science department of the University of Huddersfield. And many of the houses were rented to students.
UK make a lot of money by just speaking English, attracting foreign students and collecting rent and school fees.

Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by wifeesnatcher(m): 7:48pm On Jul 02, 2019
sincerely it's nauseating to see Ibadan development stand still. a town that was the headquarter of West during the regional govt

Seyi should save us all this talk and prove himself as he had promised Oyo people. campaign is over

1 Like

Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by bulusberry: 7:55pm On Jul 02, 2019
Which one be technicaLLY bankrupt again[color=#000099][/color] cheesy
Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by DameB(f): 7:59pm On Jul 02, 2019
uuzba:

I did my Masters in Huddersfield, UK. The small I know about the town was that, in the '40s, '50s, they had plenty factories in Huddersfield. They were processing wool (from sheep). Since the workers needed a place to stay, the town was built up. Plenty small-small houses, roads and markets.
As things became more industralised they started cheaper importation, they had to close down the factories.
One particular factory was converted into the computer science department of the University of Huddersfield. And many of the houses were rented to students.
UK make a lot of money by just speaking English, attracting foreign students and collecting rent and school fees.

From your experience while schooling over there what do you think should be done with that dilapidated Agbowo complex? A lot of people going to Ibadan do that for educational purposes, but that Agbowo area is still very laid back infrastructure-wise
Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by Teawhy2011: 8:04pm On Jul 02, 2019
my Oyo people,hope u neva enter one chance? lol
Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by alex8724: 8:06pm On Jul 02, 2019
Elemosho478:

That wouldn't change the fact that alot of Igbo people are Economic refugees in Oyo State

Economic refugees??

1 Share

Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by Ijawwomaninoyo: 8:12pm On Jul 02, 2019
A state is in debt, yet he is cancelling the payments of this and that.
The monies collected in these schools is meant for maintenance and taking care of some things the government doesn't do.
How are these schools to be run then? Fingers crossed!
Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by MondayOsunbor(m): 8:19pm On Jul 02, 2019
maybachmusic:
Ibadan should be an IT hub with lots of companies

Former leaders have been sleeping

Ibadan not taking full advantage of the Lagos proximity
It is IT hub just ask G boys
Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by DonJossydirich(m): 8:25pm On Jul 02, 2019
Which one is technically bankrupt again. Oyo is bankrupt oga!

1 Like

Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by delpee(f): 8:55pm On Jul 02, 2019
A technically bankrupt state that insists on totally free education for a large population.
Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by Odetokun3(m): 8:58pm On Jul 02, 2019
Abeg. Na empty barrel dey make noise.

Are u expecting surplus in the account before.

its like you have no mission for us bro
Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by phemtobo: 9:06pm On Jul 02, 2019
post=79878269:
Talk if you want to talk and stop talking with the corner of your mouth Seyi...
Nobody will beat you for it, you are the Governor!

Hit the nail on the head abegii!

'Technically bankrupt', why not Mechanically bankrupt?!

He said technically because somethings can still be done with proper management undecided
Orisirisi something!!
Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by phemtobo: 9:10pm On Jul 02, 2019
delpee:
A technically bankrupt state that insists on totally free education for a large population.
so you will rather prefer the number of out of school children increasing daily just because of something they can take care.... But because some of them are selfish that's why they won't!!! But thank goodness we now have a man who understands better than you cheesy
Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by zoedew: 9:12pm On Jul 02, 2019
APC - “Boko Haram is technically defeated!”

PDP - “OYO STATE IS TECHNICALLY BANKRUPT”

Technical political parties. Technical politicians.
Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by Baroba(m): 10:04pm On Jul 02, 2019
Nigeria needs to back to regions, having 36 non productive states where 99.9% only pay salaries from federal government allocation is disastrous..
Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by uuzba(m): 10:25pm On Jul 02, 2019
DameB:

From your experience while schooling over there what do you think should be done with that dilapidated Agbowo complex? A lot of people going to Ibadan do that for educational purposes, but that Agbowo area is still very laid back infrastructure-wise
Ah, well I will say some sort of student facility. It can be a residence run as a business that employs student part time workers to maintain it.
It should be any type of business where majority of the staff are students doing shift work. Restaurant, bar, cheap hotel cheap Conference centre. Not church O. Church makes noise.
That's what British do. Their students are always doing part time work in buildings near to the university campus.
Our Nigerian student's are totally idle. Messing up their hostels and finishing their parents school fees money.
Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by uuzba(m): 10:30pm On Jul 02, 2019
wifeesnatcher:
sincerely it's nauseating to see Ibadan development stand still. a town that was the headquarter of West during the regional govt

Seyi should save us all this talk and prove himself as he had promised Oyo people. campaign is over

It is reckless importation of goods that you should blame. Cocoa house in Dugbe was built with cocoa exportation money. When Ibadan peeps were humbly going to their farms and did not huunger for foreign goods like IPhone.
Today now, no more production of anything as the market is flooded with cheap Chinese rubbish.
Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by ps3o(m): 10:47pm On Jul 02, 2019
It's becoming clearer that only big brains can work out a project successfully.

Just Hire Analysts and you'll be wow.
Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by DameB(f): 10:56pm On Jul 02, 2019
uuzba:

Ah, well I will say some sort of student facility. It can be a residence run as a business that employs student part time workers to maintain it.
It should be any type of business where majority of the staff are students doing shift work. Restaurant, bar, cheap hotel cheap Conference centre. Not church O. Church makes noise.
That's what British do. Their students are always doing part time work in buildings near to the university campus.
Our Nigerian student's are totally idle. Messing up their hostels and finishing their parents school fees money.

That's sensible cos hotels in Agbowo are nothing to write home about. Even the university hotel. But the Governor will do nepotism and the whole plan and process will fall through
Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by delpee(f): 11:30pm On Jul 02, 2019
phemtobo:
so you will rather prefer the number of out of school children increasing daily just because of something they can take care.... But because some of them are selfish that's why they won't!!! But thank goodness we now have a man who understands better than you cheesy

Why would I want more out of school children when I know the implications and I’m involved in getting such people back to school?
The point is that the governor should have planned well ahead before taking over governance. That the state is technically bankrupt shouldn’t be news. How to drastically increase the IGR to fulfill his campaign promises should have been a priority.

By the way, remember that Oyo only had 1000 naira levy per term for the maintenance of facilities in public schools. That has been abolished. Let’s hope he can squeeze out enough from the budget to employ enough teachers and maintain the schools.
Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by Ivimilly: 1:49am On Jul 03, 2019
Amarabae:
I thought oyo IGR is bigger than that of the whole southeast according to our Lagos Ibadan express way propaganda media cool
No pun intended, you look like an adult movie star wouldn't mind to act a couple of sins with you kiss
Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by Staro: 3:20am On Jul 03, 2019
Sad
Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by freg2000: 4:15am On Jul 03, 2019
What do you expect when Tinubu boy was in charge? Those are things the scammer of Tinubu was trying to cover up by shifting base to Ibadan during the election to impose Adelabu as the governor.
Until you free South West from the grip of the kleptocrat , you cant get development. At this age and time, with all the billions getting into Lagos, flood is still a problem, rickety vehicles are still on the road managrd by NU RTW assasins. Come 5, Osun will fall.

1 Like

Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by emaopel: 6:23am On Jul 03, 2019
Elemosho478:
It is like PDP governors have nothing to offer other than Blame game

Like your Buhari APC government... Birds of a feather
Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by wordcat(m): 10:20am On Jul 03, 2019
FutureIG:

Lagos state that's indebted to the tune of N1.043 trillion?

If that's the case then, both Oyo, Lagos and Ogun states should merge as one state with Three Local government I.e Oyo LGA, Lagos LGA and Ogun LGA.
Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by NkayStory(f): 10:36am On Jul 03, 2019
So Oyo is a dead-broke state?

Little wonder all their indigenes claim to be from Lagos state.

1 Like

Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by phemtobo: 4:12pm On Jul 03, 2019
delpee:

Why would I want more out of school children when I know the implications and I’m involved in getting such people back to school?
The point is that the governor should have planned well ahead before taking over governance. That the state is technically bankrupt shouldn’t be news. How to drastically increase the IGR to fulfill his campaign promises should have been a priority.

By the way, remember that Oyo only had 1000 naira levy per term for the maintenance of facilities in public schools. That has been abolished. Let’s hope he can squeeze out enough from the budget to employ enough teachers and maintain the schools.

there is always a way! Why not reduce their own bonuses and entitlements if truly they are concerned
Re: Oyo Is Technically Bankrupt - Governor Makinde by horsepower101: 3:23pm On Aug 22, 2019
Same people that brag about high IGR.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Running Mate: APC, Tinubu Limits Search To Borno, Kano, Kaduna / Rivers Crisis: My Govt Not Fighting Anybody, Says Sim Fubara / JUST IN!!! Presidential Election Tribunal Rules Against PDP, Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.