Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,353 members, 7,839,634 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 04:34 AM

Ruga Settlements May Set Nigeria On Fire, Says Soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ruga Settlements May Set Nigeria On Fire, Says Soyinka (697 Views)

Wole Soyinka: Ruga Settlements May Set Nigeria On Fire / FG To Begin Ruga Settlements In 11 States Where The Governors Have Consented / Ruga Settlements For Herdsmen: Shehu Sani Reacts To FG's Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ruga Settlements May Set Nigeria On Fire, Says Soyinka by sarrki(m): 6:13pm On Jul 02, 2019
Wole Soyinka
Nobel Laureate, Prof Wole Soyinka
FacebookTwitterPinterestLinkedInWhatsAppEmail

Nobel Laureate, Prof Wole Soyinka, has added his voice to the growing opposition against federal government’s proposal to establish Ruga settlements across the nation for herdsmen.

Speaking in Lagos on Tuesday at the launch of United Nations’ Solutions 17 SDG programme, Soyinka berated the federal government for the idea, which will said can cause Nigeria to explode.

According to him: “Ruga is going to be an explosion if not handled with care. But why do we not take our policies from good models? This is not the way people and countries deal with issues of cattle.

“I travel everywhere. It has to be handled in a way that is logical, comprehensible to the environment. When a cattle walks up to the window of my house in Abeokuta, a house which is located in a residential area, then there’s a problem.

“When cattle goes to Ijebu Ode and eat up their plant seedlings and so on and you expect people to be quiet?”

Read Also; On Atiku, Soyinka and other matters
He stated the handling of the herdsmen issue by President Muhammadu Buhari was enough to make him lose re-election.

“President Buhari deserved to have lost the last election for the lackadaisical attitude he took to the issue of cattle rearing in the country.

“People have been killed in hundreds just because of the failure of leadership at a critical time. And the cattle herders have been given a sense of impunity. They kill without any compunction, they drive away the farmers who have been contributing to the food solutions in the country, the cattle eat their crops and then you come up with Ruga.

“I think that there is going to be trouble in this country if this Ruga thing is not handled imaginatively and with humanity as priority. Any country where cattle takes priority over human life is definitely at an elementary stage,” he maintained

https://thenationonlineng.net/just-in-ruga-settlements-will-set-nigeria-on-fire-says-soyinka/

1 Like

Re: Ruga Settlements May Set Nigeria On Fire, Says Soyinka by sarrki(m): 6:14pm On Jul 02, 2019
The intentions may be good

Trust me

Nigerians will turn it to ethnic and religious thing

Due to experience, speculation and political gain
Re: Ruga Settlements May Set Nigeria On Fire, Says Soyinka by hisexcellency34: 6:18pm On Jul 02, 2019
What is so special about these Fulani herdsmen sef that FG is giving them special preference?

1 Like

Re: Ruga Settlements May Set Nigeria On Fire, Says Soyinka by kayusely70(m): 6:19pm On Jul 02, 2019
No to ruga

1 Like

Re: Ruga Settlements May Set Nigeria On Fire, Says Soyinka by OdumegwuOjukwu: 6:20pm On Jul 02, 2019
sarrki:

Trust me

Keep quiet there, dude!
That is what President Buhari has turned it to. Nigerians are just following his lead!

5 Likes

Re: Ruga Settlements May Set Nigeria On Fire, Says Soyinka by sarrki(m): 6:26pm On Jul 02, 2019
OdumegwuOjukwu:

Keep quiet there, dude!
That is what President Buhari has turned it to. Nigerians are just following his lead!

Re: Ruga Settlements May Set Nigeria On Fire, Says Soyinka by mabea: 6:26pm On Jul 02, 2019
sarrki:

Trust me

Youngman you are very unstable

3 Likes

Re: Ruga Settlements May Set Nigeria On Fire, Says Soyinka by mabea: 6:28pm On Jul 02, 2019
hisexcellency34:
What is so special about these Fulani herdsmen sef that FG is giving them special preference?
They are Fulanis. Have you heard the word nepotism before?
Re: Ruga Settlements May Set Nigeria On Fire, Says Soyinka by sarrki(m): 6:29pm On Jul 02, 2019
mabea:
Youngman you are very unstable

How please can you expatiate?

It’s not Fulani alone that herds cattle

Cattle ranches are good

But the fanatic Fulani Will use it to expand there coast under the guise of Islamization, we saw it in Kwara and Taraba.

It will create jobs and more revenue for states

Like I said Nigerians will use it as a religion and ethnic tool to cause anarchy
Re: Ruga Settlements May Set Nigeria On Fire, Says Soyinka by jamace(m): 6:34pm On Jul 02, 2019
sarrki:

Trust me

How can the intention be good when Buhari is trying to resettle all his fulani brothers all over Africa in Nigeria.

Those who fail to learn from history will allow history to repeat itself in a more bitter way.
Re: Ruga Settlements May Set Nigeria On Fire, Says Soyinka by mabea: 6:41pm On Jul 02, 2019
sarrki:

How please can you expatiate?

It’s not Fulani alone that herds cattle

Cattle ranches are good

But the fanatic Fulani Will use it to expand there coast under the guise of Islamization, we saw it in Kwara and Taraba.

It will create jobs and more revenue for states

Like I said Nigerians will use it as a religion and ethnic tool to cause anarchy

Your comment is veey contradictory. If the Fulanis are going to use it for an expansion agenda how then are nigerians going to use it as a religious and ethnic tool to cause anarchy? You still rememner what you said in the other thread

1 Like

Re: Ruga Settlements May Set Nigeria On Fire, Says Soyinka by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jul 02, 2019
People have been killed in hundreds just because of the failure of leadership at a critical time. And the cattle herders have been given a sense of impunity. They kill without any compunction, they drive away the farmers who have been contributing to the food solutions in the country, the cattle eat their crops and then you come up with Ruga.

Such dexterity.. such effrontery, it's more or less telling the people they can do nothing.
Re: Ruga Settlements May Set Nigeria On Fire, Says Soyinka by Racoon(m): 6:44pm On Jul 02, 2019
Guess OBJ, Soyinka, Adebanjo, Falae etc that have spoken against the ill-minded evil & satanic policies of this doomed govt are saboteurs too? VP Osinbajo, Tinubu and others take note.

1 Like

Re: Ruga Settlements May Set Nigeria On Fire, Says Soyinka by Racoon(m): 6:44pm On Jul 02, 2019
[s]
sarrki:
The intentions may be good.Trust me.Nigerians will turn it to ethnic and religious thing.Due to experience, speculation and political gain
[/s]
Re: Ruga Settlements May Set Nigeria On Fire, Says Soyinka by jowhyte(m): 6:45pm On Jul 02, 2019
sarrki:

Trust me

You keep speaking from both sides of your mouth. Not surprised though because a double minded man like you is unstable in all his ways.

2 Likes

Re: Ruga Settlements May Set Nigeria On Fire, Says Soyinka by sarrki(m): 6:47pm On Jul 02, 2019
mabea:
Your comment is veey contradictory. If the Fulanis are going to use it for an expansion agenda how then are nigerians going to use it as a religious and ethnic tool to cause anarchy? You still rememner what you said in the other thread

Are Fulanis not Nigeria?

The extremism is across the two major religions in Nigeria
Re: Ruga Settlements May Set Nigeria On Fire, Says Soyinka by Racoon(m): 6:48pm On Jul 02, 2019
[s]
sarrki:
.......It’s not Fulani alone that herds cattle.Cattle ranches are good but the fanatic Fulani will use it to expand there coast under the guise of Islamization, we saw it in Kwara and Taraba.

It will create jobs and more revenue for states.Like I said Nigerians will use it as a religion and ethnic tool to cause anarchy.
[/s]
So you finally agreed that the president's marauding & killer fulani brethren are the "fanatics" they truly are & pursuing the "Fulanization Agenda" OBJ talked about yet you guys insulted.
So abeg what are you afraid of? Stop being a nuisance boy.Just wait for your turn to be RUGArized.He that rides on the back of the tiger always ends up in its belly.

1 Like

Re: Ruga Settlements May Set Nigeria On Fire, Says Soyinka by MikeBetty(m): 6:57pm On Jul 02, 2019
sarrki:

Trust me

There Is No Good Intention In The Ruga. If Fg Has Sinister Intention, It Could Have Gone For Ranching State Govts Have Been Advocating For Long. All The States That Enacted Anti~gracing Laws Suggested Ranching As The Way Out. With This Ruga Ideology, No State Govt Will Be Willing To Give Out Its Land For Ranching.
Re: Ruga Settlements May Set Nigeria On Fire, Says Soyinka by mabea: 6:58pm On Jul 02, 2019
sarrki:

Are Fulanis not Nigeria?

The extremism is across the two major religions in Nigeria
Oga Nigerians are not kicking against Ruga because of religion or because of ethnicity per se but the expansion undertone that goes with it as you rightly stated above. I rather you call it what it is instead of trying to appear neutral and against at the same time
Re: Ruga Settlements May Set Nigeria On Fire, Says Soyinka by tuniski: 7:03pm On Jul 02, 2019
Ruga is a time bomb!

(1) (Reply)

Gov. Udom React To Video Of Man Being Beaten For Outing LGA Chairman Owing Him / Killing Of Driver: Soldiers Force Motorists To Rebuild Checkpoint In Abia / N60m Scam: EFCC Arrests Most Wanted Internet Fraudster By FBI

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.