Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,224 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:57 AM

President Trump Lifts Ban On Huawei After Pressure From Major Us-tech Companies - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / President Trump Lifts Ban On Huawei After Pressure From Major Us-tech Companies (1538 Views)

Free The Nipple: End Ban On Bare Breasts, Oversight Board To Instagram, Facebook / FG Lifts Suspension on SIM Replacement / Trump Is Frustrating Chinese Tech Companies And See How It May Affect Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Trump Lifts Ban On Huawei After Pressure From Major Us-tech Companies by ponziponzi(m): 2:54am On Jul 03, 2019
President Donald Trump’s decision to allow U.S. companies to continue selling to Huawei followed an extensive lobbying campaign by the U.S. semiconductor industry that argued the ban could hurt America’s economic and national security.

In multiple high-level meetings and a letter to the Commerce Department, the companies argued for targeted action against Huawei Technologies Co. instead of the blanket ban the Trump administration imposed in May. That includes identifying specific technologies that the Chinese company shouldn’t be given access to, while allowing U.S. firms to supply the rest.

The Semiconductor Industry Association, or SIA, a trade group that represents companies like Intel Corp., Broadcom Corp. and Qualcomm Inc., told the Trump administration that its sanctions against the Chinese company will make them appear to be unreliable partners, which will put them at a severe disadvantage globally.

Representatives of chipmakers last month met with Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin to argue that the decision to place the company on a so-called entity list could hurt the country, people familiar with the meeting said.

In the letter seen by Bloomberg News, SIA said that the action risked cutting off its members from their largest market and hurting their ability to invest. At the same time, Huawei would in many cases be able to get components elsewhere, they argued.

“Overly broad restrictions that not only constrain the ability of U.S. semiconductor companies to conduct business around the world, but also casts U.S. companies as risky and undependable, puts at risk the success of this industry, which in turn impacts our national security,” the group wrote last month. They added that the administration should take into account those factors when evaluating license applications from American firms.

Their talking points seem to have found their way to Trump. After concluding a high-stakes meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping in Osaka on Saturday, the U.S. president said American firms weren’t pleased with his Huawei policy and announced that he has agreed to let them keep shipping some of their components and technology.

“I’ve agreed -- and pretty easily -- I’ve agreed to allow them to continue to sell that product so American companies will continue,” the president said during a press conference. “The companies were not exactly happy that they couldn’t sell because they had nothing to do with whatever was potentially happening with respect to Huawei. So I did do that.”

He later clarified he will only allow them to sell “equipment where there is no great national emergency problem with it,” without offering more details. Trump’s comments stoked confusion among industry and analysts and the White House has not yet announced specifics on the path forward for U.S. companies doing business with Huawei.

White House trade adviser Peter Navarro on Tuesday said Huawei’s involvement in 5G networks remains a "national security concern” but the sale of a “small amount of low-level chips” isn’t a “bad thing” if it persuades China to return to trade negotiations.

"5G is huge, selling a few chips to Huawei is not,” Navarro said in an interview on CNBC.

The Trade War Is Exposing What Little U.S. Tech China Still Needs

While China hawks in Congress and Trump’s administration feared a potential reversal of the export ban, U.S. industry has been pushing the White House to ease restrictions that require American firms to get a U.S. government license in order to sell to the Chinese tech giant.

A spokesman for SIA said the group has “consistently urged the administration to advance U.S. semiconductor leadership as it works to preserve national security, and we’re encouraged by the direction the president set in Osaka.”

A Commerce spokesman said companies can submit license applications explaining the importance of exports on their business relationship. When a case is made for license approval based on concrete and supportable facts, decisions on those licenses are made. When data is absent, Commerce is unable to act, the spokesman said.

Chipmakers have been placed in a tough spot by the trade dispute and security-related action against Huawei. China is their biggest market, providing about a third of revenue. They’re arguing that not all exports to Huawei and its affiliates pose a security risk and that much of what’s sold there is easily replaceable with non-U.S. products. Given the massive cost of research and development for chips, continuing to miss out on revenue could hurt their competitiveness.

Their concerns were stoked by China’s response to Trump’s Huawei ban. In May, Beijing threatened to compile a list targeting companies that it says are not dependable suppliers. American firms were also spooked when Chinese government officials called them in for meetings and threatened to add them to the list if they don’t make sure the U.S. eases up on its ban, people briefed on the meetings said.

The chip industry’s proposed solution is to ask for a narrower set of restrictions, according to people involved in the negotiations with U.S. government representatives. They argued that there are choke points -- crucial pieces of technology, that if withheld could slow down Huawei without totally crippling it. In many cases, providing chips without the engineering support and software needed to integrate them in devices is enough, the people said.

Micron, Intel
In the letter the SIA highlighted several areas that don’t warrant a blanket ban. The memory chip industry is dominated by Korean makers with a 68% market share of the commodity products. That means if Micron Technology Inc., Intel and Western Digital Corp. are excluded from China, they will directly lose market share, the group argued.

In analog chips, simpler components that convert things like sound and radio waves into digital signals, the U.S. owns 65% of the market. European and Japanese companies have ‘viable substitutes’ that Chinese customers could use. And even in logic chips, where companies such as Intel and Qualcomm have won the U.S. a 69% stranglehold, Huawei’s own HiSilicon chip unit is among a list of alternative providers that could offer replacements for crucial components of smartphones, computers and networking gear.

National Economic Council Director Larry Kudlow said Sunday that the granting of licenses only applies to general merchandise. “Anything to do with national security concerns will not receive a new license from the Commerce Department. I think that’s very important.”

Still, the Trump administration’s end goal remains unclear. Trump said he will only make a decision on what to do about Huawei when trade talks are in the final stages. “We’ll have to save that until the very end,” he said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-02/how-u-s-chipmakers-pressed-trump-to-ease-huawei-export-controls

Re: President Trump Lifts Ban On Huawei After Pressure From Major Us-tech Companies by Olanipekun1: 3:25am On Jul 03, 2019
lol i said it

there's no way the ban won't be lifted

it was just a show of force to tell huawei and China who's the boss grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Trump Lifts Ban On Huawei After Pressure From Major Us-tech Companies by davidbanner(m): 3:37am On Jul 03, 2019
good
Re: President Trump Lifts Ban On Huawei After Pressure From Major Us-tech Companies by seunfly: 5:25am On Jul 03, 2019
Ok
Re: President Trump Lifts Ban On Huawei After Pressure From Major Us-tech Companies by seunfly: 5:43am On Jul 03, 2019
Olanipekun1:
lol i said it

there's no way the ban won't be lifted

it was just a show of force to tell huawei and China who's the boss grin

Lol... You really don't know anything, it was a big mistake from American side and not well thought out decision. Infact the ban reversal was forced by silicon Valley who has lost market shares to a new semi conductors rising in China.

https://fortune.com/2019/06/14/huawei-ban-vendors-earnings/amp/
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/17/tech/huawei-us-ban-suppliers/index.html

As a matter of fact, some organisation like Intel, micron AMD etc had already started to work with Huawei before the ban was lifted, they could not hold on any longer, so they find ways to bypass the ban.

https://wap.business-standard.com/article-amp/companies/micron-to-intel-how-us-companies-are-working-around-trump-s-huawei-ban-119062600858_1.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/25/technology/huawei-trump-ban-technology.amp.html

Others silicon Valley that couldn't find ways to bypass US sanction lobbied seriously to block Trump's backed sanction against Huawei.
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/06/17/us-chipmakers-are-reportedly-quietly-lobbying-to-ease-huawei-ban.html

https://www.rt.com/business/462026-chip-makers-lobby-huawei/amp/

https://amp.scmp.com/news/china/article/3014748/us-chip-makers-including-qualcomm-and-intel-quietly-lobby-washington

Infact many analysts said trump saved face by reversing Huawei ban because it is costing America's chips makers billion of $ and many factory has been working at half capacity.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/huawei-ban-sanctions-could-hurt-chipmakers-raising-fears-of-tech-layoffs/

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-07-02/how-u-s-chipmakers-pressed-trump-to-ease-huawei-export-controls

Another reason is that, analyst believed it is better to sell enough chips and semi conductor to China than to deny them such, because by supplying Chinese company with chips, you deny the home grown chips a much needed funds to grow, but if u deny them, you v successfully open doors of competition to silicon Valley.

They believed that to control China, give them American technology is the best option.

https://amp.scmp.com/tech/gear/article/3013599/google-warns-washington-huawei-trade-ban-risks-compromising-us-security

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/6/7/18656163/google-huawei-android-security-ban-claims

This ban reversal is a huge blow to Chinese semi conductor chips makers, it will badly affect the capycat chips makers and the genuine but fast developing chips makers alike, infact this is the repeat of 2000s ban on Chinises super computer complexes and the result are thesame. Now some hardliners in CCP are even pushing Xi not to compromised so that homegrown chips maker can take this advantage just like in 2000s super computer scenerio.
https://amp.economist.com/business/2019/06/29/an-american-ban-hits-chinas-supercomputer-industry

So my friend stop watching CNN and read news far and wide.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: President Trump Lifts Ban On Huawei After Pressure From Major Us-tech Companies by Mmlanrehh(m): 7:24am On Jul 03, 2019
This is a win win situation for the Chinese Government and it people
Re: President Trump Lifts Ban On Huawei After Pressure From Major Us-tech Companies by OVA200(m): 7:48am On Jul 03, 2019
Adonbilivit
Re: President Trump Lifts Ban On Huawei After Pressure From Major Us-tech Companies by pacino26(m): 7:57am On Jul 03, 2019
The result of a not well analyzed decision. You don't doll out executive orders cuz some spooky war mongers want you to believe there's a WAR!
Re: President Trump Lifts Ban On Huawei After Pressure From Major Us-tech Companies by emae009(m): 8:10am On Jul 03, 2019
someone please explain to me if USA lifting the ban on Huawei was in favor of USA, how come China are happy with the development and even promise to buy large agricultural products from America. I mean they claim to have an OS 60% faster than Google Android and that they don't need American chips so why are they happy for the ban to be lifted. You may hate America all you want but the truth is that the only good technologies from Asia are the Russians, others are Mediocre at most.
Re: President Trump Lifts Ban On Huawei After Pressure From Major Us-tech Companies by MrBONE2(m): 8:11am On Jul 03, 2019
Mmlanrehh:
This is a win win situation for the Chinese Government and it people

Notedgrin

Re: President Trump Lifts Ban On Huawei After Pressure From Major Us-tech Companies by seunfly: 8:21am On Jul 03, 2019
emae009:
someone please explain to me if USA lifting the ban on Huawei was in favor of USA, how come China are happy with the development[b][/b] and even promise to buy large agricultural products from America. I mean they claim to have an OS 60% faster than Google Android and that they don't need American chips so why are they happy for the ban to be lifted. You may hate America all you want but the truth is that the only good technologies from Asia are the Russians, others are Mediocre at most.

At the bolded, Huawei ban is much more painful to the Americans than the Chinese, you may read this https://www.nairaland.com/5278643/president-trump-lifts-ban-huawei#79890389

However the Chinese will be happy about the lifting because it is a win/win and lose/lose situation for them.
The problem is that Trump never thought it trough before he took that decision and any attempt to shoot your legs because it doesn't listen to u will lead to pain in your body.

The best illustration is Apple and China, Tim Cook was freaking out thinking China will retaliate by banning apple, this will cause a significant damage to apple and cut down on atleast 30% of their net income and profits but targeting apple is like targeting atleast 1million Chinese jobs.
So Chinese stands down and let it slide, they know shooting Apple will bring them serious pain.
Exactly thesame scenerio is what happened in Huawei ban, shooting Huawei is like shooting down many factories in silicon Valley, Huawei pained brought pain to China just like American also feel those pain.

1 Like

Re: President Trump Lifts Ban On Huawei After Pressure From Major Us-tech Companies by Boyslick(m): 8:41am On Jul 03, 2019
Lol. Trump THRIVES under pressure. Pressure is never a reason for him to do or undo.
Re: President Trump Lifts Ban On Huawei After Pressure From Major Us-tech Companies by loricara: 8:43am On Jul 03, 2019
fake news hauwei is begging USA to lift the ban but trump has t said anything about it
Re: President Trump Lifts Ban On Huawei After Pressure From Major Us-tech Companies by musicwriter(m): 10:37am On Jul 03, 2019
Huawei should go ahead and create their own independent system. They can do it, and its either they do it now or lose the chance of taking the mantle of leadership from the claws of Western capitalists.

The only reason the US plan to reverse the ban is because it would create the unintended consequence of disrupting the technology market, create a bigger better China and Huawei who would no longer be controlled.

There's nothing the West hates like independence for others because if you're independent they can't control you, so they're rather ready to sacrifice ANYTHING to make you depend on them so they could control you.

Fortunately, Chinese people aren't stupid. They know what to do.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Trump Lifts Ban On Huawei After Pressure From Major Us-tech Companies by emae009(m): 12:17pm On Jul 03, 2019
seunfly:

At the bolded, Huawei ban is much more painful to the Americans than the Chinese, you may read this https://www.nairaland.com/5278643/president-trump-lifts-ban-huawei#79890389

However the Chinese will be happy about the lifting because it is a win/win and lose/lose situation for them.
The problem is that Trump never thought it trough before he took that decision and any attempt to shoot your legs because it doesn't listen to u will lead to pain in your body.

The best illustration is Apple and China, Tim Cook was freaking out thinking China will retaliate by banning apple, this will cause a significant damage to apple and cut down on atleast 30% of their net income and profits but targeting apple is like targeting atleast 1million Chinese jobs.
So Chinese stands down and let it slide, they know shooting Apple will bring them serious pain.
Exactly thesame scenerio is what happened in Huawei ban, shooting Huawei is like shooting down many factories in silicon Valley, Huawei pained brought pain to China just like American also feel those pain.

I understand wey you coming from but what I meant was let me use an example. let's say you're a tenant and your landlord threaten to kick you out but your newly built house which you claim you have is only painting and decorations away from completion. why'd you be happy to go back to being a tenant??
Re: President Trump Lifts Ban On Huawei After Pressure From Major Us-tech Companies by andyboi4real(m): 12:40pm On Jul 03, 2019
I am a 300L student of one of the universities in Anambra state UNIZIK to be precise and we just finished our first semester. Please, i am looking for a job in Awka, times are hard for my family and am tired of begging people for my daily bread. I am good in Microsoft word, doing project and seminar work for university students, i also have 1 year experience in stock keeping and i am very willing to learn. I don't mind being paid 15 thousand naira a month, I just desperately need a source of income before next semester begins so I don't drop out of school due to frustration and hunger. Please help a brother.
Please I can be reached on 08116774357.
Re: President Trump Lifts Ban On Huawei After Pressure From Major Us-tech Companies by Kaydeexotic(m): 1:51pm On Jul 03, 2019
emae009:

I understand wey you coming from but what I meant was let me use an example. let's say you're a tenant and your landlord threaten to kick you out but your newly built house which you claim you have is only painting and decorations away from completion. why'd you be happy to go back to being a tenant??

House is an absolute property.... Use a shop as example instead cool
Re: President Trump Lifts Ban On Huawei After Pressure From Major Us-tech Companies by Stan232: 2:44pm On Jul 03, 2019
Chinese aza is available.rate is 25% hit me up on Whatsapp on 08168152166
Re: President Trump Lifts Ban On Huawei After Pressure From Major Us-tech Companies by seunfly: 3:11pm On Jul 03, 2019
emae009:

@ emae009 Yes u are right, you have a house, u are supposed to finish the house by December but the landlord pursue you from the house before December so that you will not make enough resources to finish the house.
Yes, you own a house, it remain panting, toilet, bathroom and other things.

Your family can move into the house with you, not because it is 100% completed but out of family bond, group mentality, share hatred for landlord that kicked u out of the house, they will proudly and joyfully managed that house without toilet, bathroom, painting, pop etc with you, after all it was their house.

The problem now is that, you have sublet some part of your rented flat to some outsides who pays you money, infact you are so good at sublet that majority of the landlord's house are rented by you and you resublet them out with the consent of the owner.

Now the owner is aware that u are subletting his property, he knows majority of the money u are using to build your property came from the money u make from the sublet and your immediate family. The landlord's goal is to starve you fund to complete your house because he knows you will take over majority of the tenant around once you finished your property, so he ejected u out of the property with out notice.

You reaction will be.
1) you will gather all the money you have and pushed to your engineer to finished it by all means.
2) you will rally your immediate family to accept that house as it is now, majority will accept it anyway.
3) begged non families that sublet from you to pls managed with you, this is where you will get the problem, the person that sublet from you will not not manage those house, they will rather stay with the landlord or you resolve the issues with landlord until you finally put that house in order of atleast 90% livable. So if your landlord calls you back, you will be glad.

Let me bring it back to Huawei and America's issue.
Huawei has made alot of progress and they can make a good phone with what they have, but they can't make the best phone which is what they want.

Chinese citizens can stand by Huawei and patronise them because, it is the biggest Chinese company apart from Chinese railway Corp, it is best out of China, it is being victimised by America in other to kill it etc so they will stick by it through thick and thin, after all it will be the major engine for Chinises semi conductor market.

Chinese semi conductor market is not fully ready, it is supposed to be fully ready by 2025 and America's actions is deliberate attempt to slow it down or kill it.

So when America changed their mind, Huawei is happy, not because of domestic market, but they wants to be competitive to outside market as well.

They still need what is acceptable to outside China's consumer's market.

I hope my logic is simple enough.

1 Like

Re: President Trump Lifts Ban On Huawei After Pressure From Major Us-tech Companies by emae009(m): 7:46pm On Jul 03, 2019
Kaydeexotic:

House is an absolute property.... Use a shop as example instead cool

smiley yeah that's even better
Re: President Trump Lifts Ban On Huawei After Pressure From Major Us-tech Companies by emae009(m): 12:57pm On Jul 04, 2019
seunfly:

@ emae009 Yes u are right, you have a house, u are supposed to finish the house by December but the landlord pursue you from the house before December so that you will not make enough resources to finish the house.
Yes, you own a house, it remain panting, toilet, bathroom and other things.

Your family can move into the house with you, not because it is 100% completed but out of family bond, group mentality, share hatred for landlord that kicked u out of the house, they will proudly and joyfully managed that house without toilet, bathroom, painting, pop etc with you, after all it was their house.

The problem now is that, you have sublet some part of your rented flat to some outsides who pays you money, infact you are so good at sublet that majority of the landlord's house are rented by you and you resublet them out with the consent of the owner.

Now the owner is aware that u are subletting his property, he knows majority of the money u are using to build your property came from the money u make from the sublet and your immediate family. The landlord's goal is to starve you fund to complete your house because he knows you will take over majority of the tenant around once you finished your property, so he ejected out of the property with out notice.

You reaction will be.
1) you will gather all the money you have and pushed to your engineer to finished it by all means.
2) you will rally your immediate family to accept that house as it is now, majority will accept it anyway.
3) begged non families that sublet from you to pls managed with you, this is where you will get the problem, the person that sublet from you will not not manage those house, they will rather stay with the landlord or you resolve the issues with landlord until you finally put that house in order of atleast 90% livable. So if your landlord calls you back, you will be glad.

Let me bring it back to Huawei and America's issue.
Huawei has made alot of progress and they can make a good phone with what they have, but they can't make the best phone which is what they want.

Chinese citizens can stand by Huawei and patronise them because, it is the biggest Chinese company apart from Chinese railway Corp, it is best out of China, it is being victimised by America in other to kill it etc so they will stick by it through thick and thin, after all it will be the major engine for Chinises semi conductor market.

Chinese semi conductor market is not fully ready, it is supposed to be fully ready by 2025 and America's actions is deliberate attempt to slow it down or kill it.

So when America changed their mind, Huawei is happy, not because of domestic market, but they wants to be competitive to outside market as well.

They still need what is acceptable to outside China's consumer's market.

I hope my logic is simple enough.

Huawei was about to patent their OS which they say is 60% faster than Google. they also wey looking to OPPO, XIAOMI, & VIVO to dump Google for their OS once the patent comes through. if you wey a business man. what action will you take. Launch your OS and competit against Google knowing that more than 80% of phone manufacturers are Asian which in the long run will turn to your OS seeing that it's more efficient and cost effective or go back to using Google android.
Re: President Trump Lifts Ban On Huawei After Pressure From Major Us-tech Companies by seunfly: 1:33pm On Jul 04, 2019
emae009:

Huawei was about to patent their OS which they say is 60% faster than Google. they also wey looking to OPPO, XIAOMI, & VIVO to dump Google for their OS once the patent comes through. if you wey a business man. what action will you take. Launch your OS and competit against Google knowing that more than 80% of phone manufacturers are Asian which in the long run will turn to your OS seeing that it's more efficient and cost effective or go back to using Google android.

But you can't use Google suit on their OS, in China Google suit is not a problem but it is a big problem outside China. They are still going to release their OS on their Chinese version and gradually export it outside as people began to appreciate it and the alternative to Google suit.

Infact Xiaomi and Co are part of manufacturers that will use their new OS, but they all will restrict it to Chinese version until Chinese alternative to Google suit has be sorted out.
They have Chinese version of alternative to Google suit, but they are not internationalised for now. For instance Baidu is incredibly accurate, much more accurate than Google earth in China, but it was restricted to only China, infact no English version. Youku tudou is very popular, infact it has half of YouTube viewers base but it is restricted to China, Baidu search is working international, Baidu translate also work well internationally.

In total what they will lose without Google suite is much more than what they will gain untill all Chinese version of alternative to Google suite is working internationally and are accepted world wide.

(1) (Reply)

Samsung S9 Neatly Used 80k Flat / Best Whatsapp TV Ever Trust Me / Iphone XR Up For Sale At An Affordable Rate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.