Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,997 members, 7,835,344 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:58 AM

Job In Nigeria Vs Phd Scholarship In Germany - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Job In Nigeria Vs Phd Scholarship In Germany (1586 Views)

620k Job In Nigeria Vs Msc In UK? Please Advise / 230k Job In Nigeria Or DAAD Scholarship In Germany / Sex-for-passport: Nigerian Embassy In Germany Suspends Staff Member (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Job In Nigeria Vs Phd Scholarship In Germany by Mishydoo(m): 7:49am On Jul 03, 2019
Hi,

I am 31,recently married (8 months),i have a job now in Nigeria that pays 2.1m annually. I recently got a scholarship to study for my PhD in Germany and a Visa to resume Sept with full insurance and stipends for myself and my wife.

I have never left the country and I feel somehow about it. The uncertainty and all.

If this was you,would you take it?And why?

*Serious comments only
Re: Job In Nigeria Vs Phd Scholarship In Germany by GogetterMD(m): 7:54am On Jul 03, 2019
Please feel free to take it since you'd be travelling with your family, makes things easier for you. 2.1 million per annum is nothing in our current clime.
Get there, start to take German classes, let your wife also start to learn German, and also explore the possibility of enrolling her in some educational development program while you are at your doctorate

4 Likes

Re: Job In Nigeria Vs Phd Scholarship In Germany by Graduateacher(f): 11:34am On Jul 03, 2019
Since you are going to be paid in Germany, you can take it.
Re: Job In Nigeria Vs Phd Scholarship In Germany by Eaugusta(f): 11:33pm On Jul 03, 2019
Mishydoo:
Hi,

I am 31,recently married (8 months),i have a job now in Nigeria that pays 2.1m annually. I recently got a scholarship to study for my PhD in Germany and a Visa to resume Sept with full insurance and stipends for myself and my wife.

I have never left the country and I feel somehow about it. The uncertainty and all.

*Serious comments only
2.1M annually is 175,000 monthly and that's poor for an MSC holder.
I will advice you go for the PHD since you are going will your family
BTW: I need MSC scholarship, how should I go about it please?

1 Like

Re: Job In Nigeria Vs Phd Scholarship In Germany by aribs(m): 12:21am On Jul 04, 2019
I would say take that offer sir. If its paid for , it would be fantastic. I have been to Germany and you would like the life. However, learn German you and madam. It woild make integration easier if your ultimate goal.is to explore the job opportunities in Germany once done with the doctorate. Do your math with respect to living expenses ( since its just you and your wife should be manageable but project for kids too) but overall i think its something definitely worth exploring.
Re: Job In Nigeria Vs Phd Scholarship In Germany by MhizLewa(f): 5:13am On Jul 04, 2019
Mishydoo:
Hi,

*Serious comments only

Please accept my congratulations sir. I need your help actually. I am interested in getting a scholarship too for my M.Sc degree but I really dnt know how to go about it. I aint from a bouyant home so I am interested in fully funded scholarships.

Do I need to have admission pending b4 i can apply for this scholarship? What if I win a scholarship now and I have not even applied to any foreign uni.....whats my fate?

I av read about GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, and IELts....can u please explain how important dey are in securing a foreign admission or scholarship?

I have a 1st in mass comm, also enjoyed undergraduate scholarship back den but now, I want a foreign degree....

How do i go about it sir? Please your guidance is all i seek.

Kindly reply me sir.
Re: Job In Nigeria Vs Phd Scholarship In Germany by Mishydoo(m): 9:37am On Jul 04, 2019
MhizLewa:

Please accept my congratulations sir. I need your help actually. I am interested in getting a scholarship too for my M.Sc degree but I really dnt know how to go about it. I aint from a bouyant home so I am interested in fully funded scholarships.

Do I need to have admission pending b4 i can apply for this scholarship? What if I win a scholarship now and I have not even applied to any foreign uni.....whats my fate?

I av read about GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, and IELts....can u please explain how important dey are in securing a foreign admission or scholarship?

I have a 1st in mass comm, also enjoyed undergraduate scholarship back den but now, I want a foreign degree....

How do i go about it sir? Please your guidance is all i seek.

Kindly reply me sir.

i got it through PTDF, wait for the next PTDF Scholarship batch and apply.
Re: Job In Nigeria Vs Phd Scholarship In Germany by Mishydoo(m): 9:38am On Jul 04, 2019
Eaugusta:

2.1M annually is 87,500 monthly and that's poor for an MSC holder.

Re: Job In Nigeria Vs Phd Scholarship In Germany by Eaugusta(f): 10:01pm On Jul 04, 2019
Mishydoo:

OK thanks
Re: Job In Nigeria Vs Phd Scholarship In Germany by niyogeol(m): 7:53am On Jul 05, 2019
Dear Mishydoo,

First, congratulations on your PhD scholarship. The situation you have found yourself is not strange as most people find themselves in such from time to time. This further shows humans are truly insatiable!

I will offer my perspective on this topic as one who has studied abroad. So it might not be popular, but I am sure you will be able to validate some of my opinion yourself as one who enjoyed PTDF scholarship - assuming it was the overseas scheme.

You situation is peculiar being that you have something going for you in Nigeria, you have previously studied abroad and the fact that you are married. Going by the latter, there might be little or no room for laxity in forging the next development plan after your proposed studies in Germany. Ask me why? Because family requires money to run. Sustainable income at that. With this said, your income in Nigeria is not as bad as some posters here make it look especially if the position you are is in a field you wish to build a career, more importantly if the workplace offers the possibility of growing through the ranks. Why am I saying this? Germany only gives 18 months after your studies to seek for a job. What is the chance of finding this job? In the event none is forthcoming, how do you intend to update your residency that might be running out, considering you are married which has ruled out the possibility of marriage to an EU citizen. You might want to go the baby daddy route which I doubt. How fulfilled will you be doing unskilled job with a PhD just to remain in the system because of the fear of returning to Nigeria to start over again?

On the bright side, you can explore post doctoral position in other countries which is usually well remunurated. But one direction which this is mainly leading is academia. Are you desirous of a career there?

In all, there is no sure fix to this. Just my view. PhD is prestigious, but you also need to be forward thinking even as some people believe PhD can never go wrong. Dangote recruitment drive for truck drivers in the past has shown otherwise in Nigeria. Because las-las, na money we all dey find.

I wish you success in your endeavours, regardless of what you settle for in this beautiful dilemma of yours!

2 Likes

Re: Job In Nigeria Vs Phd Scholarship In Germany by Mishydoo(m): 9:21am On Jul 05, 2019
niyogeol:
Dear Mishydoo,

First, congratulations on your PhD scholarship. The situation you have found yourself is not strange as most people find themselves in such from time to time. This further shows humans are truly insatiable!

I will offer my perspective on this topic as one who has studied abroad. So it might not be popular, but I am sure you will be able to validate some of my opinion yourself as one who enjoyed PTDF scholarship - assuming it was the overseas scheme.

You situation is peculiar being that you have something going for you in Nigeria, you have previously studied abroad and the fact that you are married. Going by the latter, there might be little or no room for laxity in forging the next development plan after your proposed studies in Germany. Ask me why? Because family requires money to run. Sustainable income at that. With this said, your income in Nigeria is not as bad as some posters here make it look especially if the position you are is in a field you wish to build a career, more importantly if the workplace offers the possibility of growing through the ranks. Why am I saying this? Germany only gives 18 months after your studies to seek for a job. What is the chance of finding this job? In the event none is forthcoming, how do you intend to update your residency that might be running out, considering you are married which has ruled out the possibility of marriage to an EU citizen. You might want to go the baby daddy route which I doubt. How fulfilled will you be doing unskilled job with a PhD just to remain in the system because of the fear of returning to Nigeria to start over again?

On the bright side, you can explore post doctoral position in other countries which is usually well renumerated. But one direction which this is mainly leading is academia. Are you desirous of a career there?

In all, there is no sure fix to this. Just my view. PhD is prestigious, but you also need to be forward thinking even as some people believe PhD can never go wrong. Dangote recruitment drive for truck drivers in the past has shown otherwise in Nigeria. Because las-las, na money we all dey find.

I wish you success in your endeavours, regardless of what you settle for in this beautiful dilemma of yours!

THANKS FOR YOU MESSAGE.
QUITE REALISTIC AND IDEAL BUT FEW THINGS I NEED TO MENTION ABOUT MY CURRENT SITUATION.

1. i am a contract staff in my current workplace
2. i have worked here for 5 years and no kobo added to my salary
3. i have done my Msc in Nigeria at my own expense,got a distinction but it isn't being recognized at my place or work.
4.i have never traveled abroad
5. I am a professional (Physical therapist) and quite experienced
6.My current job is 6 months in a year
Re: Job In Nigeria Vs Phd Scholarship In Germany by IceColdVeins(m): 9:39am On Jul 05, 2019
Learn German language and go for your PhD, language skills and a foreign doctorate degree are rare feats which cannot be overlooked anywhere in the world.
As for the job, once you and your wife can speak an intermediate level german, the only thing standing between you and job in Germany is God's will.
Take the big risk man!! nobody leaves this world alive.
Re: Job In Nigeria Vs Phd Scholarship In Germany by niyogeol(m): 10:28am On Jul 05, 2019
Mishydoo:

THANKS FOR YOU MESSAGE.
QUITE REALISTIC AND IDEAL BUT FEW THINGS I NEED TO MENTION ABOUT MY CURRENT SITUATION.

1. i am a contract staff in my current workplace
2. i have worked here for 5 years and no kobo added to my salary
3. i have done my Msc in Nigeria at my own expense,got a distinction but it isn't being recognized at my place or work.
4.i have never traveled abroad
5. I am a professional (Physical therapist) and quite experienced
6.My current job is 6 months in a year
Your situation is a bit tough and dicey.

With your experience and MSc, you could go ahead and pursue the PhD. During this period, you can pursue Canada express entry. This will avail you and your spouse the chance to live as a permanent resident in Canada while pursuing opportunity the country has for you. As I am convinced from indication that you want to make the move abroad.

I am saying this because, without residency, life abroad is not meaningful. I bet you don't want to find out what people in such case go through.

Good luck once again. Cheers.
Re: Job In Nigeria Vs Phd Scholarship In Germany by ahiboilandgas: 10:44pm On Jul 05, 2019
niyogeol:
Your situation is a bit tough and dicey.

With your experience and MSc, you could go ahead and pursue the PhD. During this period, you can pursue Canada express entry. This will avail you and your spouse the chance to live as a permanent resident in Canada while pursuing opportunity the country has for you. As I am convinced from indication that you want to make the move abroad.

I am saying this because, without residency, life abroad is not meaningful. I bet you don't want to find out what people in such case go through.

Good luck once again. Cheers.
how far ireland ,are u back in Nigeria or now working there
Re: Job In Nigeria Vs Phd Scholarship In Germany by Graduateacher(f): 11:28am On Jul 06, 2019
niyogeol:
Dear Mishydoo,

On the bright side, you can explore post doctoral position in other countries which is usually well renumerated. But one direction which this is mainly leading is academia. Are you desirous of a career there?

Just want to say your writing is very good

1 Like

Re: Job In Nigeria Vs Phd Scholarship In Germany by niyogeol(m): 12:04pm On Jul 06, 2019
Graduateacher:

Just want to say your writing is very good
Thank you. Your moniker though. Graduate teacher kwa.
Re: Job In Nigeria Vs Phd Scholarship In Germany by KillerBeauty(f): 5:46pm On Jul 07, 2019
Eaugusta:

2.1M annually is 87,500 monthly and that's poor for an MSC holder.

Abeg do ur calculation well.
2.1m annually is not 87,500 monthly oh
Re: Job In Nigeria Vs Phd Scholarship In Germany by Eaugusta(f): 11:33pm On Jul 07, 2019
KillerBeauty:

Oh! My bad
That's 175,000; though it's a bit fair but I will still choose travelling with my family on scholarship over it. Thanks for drawing my attention back though
Re: Job In Nigeria Vs Phd Scholarship In Germany by Eaugusta(f): 11:35pm On Jul 07, 2019
KillerBeauty:

Oh! My bad
That's 175,000; though it's a bit fair but I will still choose travelling with my family on scholarship over it. Thanks for drawing my attention back though
Re: Job In Nigeria Vs Phd Scholarship In Germany by Deltayankeeboi: 7:30pm On May 17, 2020

(1) (Reply)

Help, Am Confused! / Vacancy For Guards Trainer Tom Salem Integrated Services Onikan Lagos / Mckinsey SHL Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.