Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,759 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:38 AM

Why Ruga...??? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Ruga...??? (570 Views)

What Is The Meaning Of 'ruga'? / Ruga Settlements For Herdsmen: Shehu Sani Reacts To FG's Plan / Ruga Settlements For Herdsmen: South-East Governors, Ortom, Ishaku, Reject It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Ruga...??? by monimbo(m): 5:44pm On Jul 03, 2019
Why RUGA...!!??

One the 2 July 2019, I stirred a controversy on the RUGA saga, this led to wide spread provocation from friends, colleagues and associates alike, well I didn't expect less in the response and calls I got in relation to the RUGA issue. I understand everyone's position so I am not holdings anyone against their insult or rage. Some are even more disappointed on my stand on RUGA being someone holding a top office in the apex Igbo Socio-Cultural in Ala Igbo. Though this goes contrary to the position of some socio-cultural Organisation in Ala Igbo and also the decision of the South-East Governors Forum. It is also pertinent to note that I am writing this in my own personal capacity as just Chiemezie Ezeani (even #LIFT4Africa isn't a joinder to this as it stands as an independent entity).

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE ON THE FULANI HERDSMEN ISSUE
In 2016-2017 I was privileged to serve in Bauchi State (NYSC), though this wasnt my first visit to the Northern Nigeria (I've lived in over 7 Northern States). During this period, I embarked on the NYSC agricultural farming project which is supported Nationwide by the Federal Government. To cut the long story short, during harvest, I was the last person to harvest my crop (Maize or Masara in Hausa language). On the day of my harvest (Wednesday) I was cautioned by an NYSC staff in Bauchi State to ensure that I complete my harvest before weekend, reason is because there are Herdersmen who usually follow that path while feeding their livestock (Cows), and this Cows eat everything— leaves, stem, the corn and even it's comb. And if anything or anyone stands their path the thing or person gets eliminated (their inability to understand the native language make issues worse, as you plea can be seen as insults or termed provocative). Due to this warning I employed the services of the local Fulani settlers to assist in facilitating the harvest.
Why am I sharing this, I am because I truly know that Fulani herdsmen attack is real and they CANNOT cohabit peacefully with their immediate neighbours no matter how long it takes.

BUT WHY SUPPORT RUGA....
RUGA is a Federal Government Project (though having lot of anticipated sinister) being that the president a Fulani with other top ranking Government Officials in Nigeria are Fulanis this makes this project look like a conspiracy. But why not give the President an element of doubt, pass a vote of confidence on his judgement and pick this argument from a neutral point of view. One thing you learn in philosophy is that to arrive at a logical conclusion, you need to start your argument on a neutral bases.

THE GOVERNMENT HAS MADE AN OFFER WHY NOT ACCEPT IT IN OUR OWN TERMS AND CONDITION..
The question we should ask ourselves which many have been asking are;

Must it be called RUGA?
Must it be operated and managed by Fulanis?

The Government has initiated a project called RUGA, which they believe is of agricultural benefits to the Nation, and is said to have mapped out a whopping sum of $11 billion (N3,960,000,000,000 almost 4 trillion Naira) for this project. Let's have this at the back of our mind, whether we like it or not, that cash MOST be approved by the current rubber stamp legislatures, without much opposition to stop it. Also the Federal Government came up with the opinion that it not mandatory but voluntary.

Since they are so optimistic that the RUGA project would yield some economic benefits, then I propose;

#1 THESE MONEY SHOULD BE RELEASED TO THE 36 STATES OF NIGERIA INCLUDING THE FCT (BASED ON THE SIZES OF LAND DONATED BY EACH STATE.

#2 EACH STATE GOVERNMENT SHOULD DECIDE THE SYSTEM OF GRAZING THEY WANT TO ADOPT (POSTORAL OR RANCHES)

#3 EACH GRAZING SYSTEM MUST BE UNDER THE DIRECT SUPERVISION OF THE STATE GOVERNORS AND TRADITIONAL HEADS OF THE REGION (HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE IF THINGS GO WRONG)

NOTE: PRIVATE RANCHING SYSTEM COULD ALSO BE ENCOURAGED BUT MOST BE MANAGED OR OWNED BY INDIGENES.

#4 THOSE STATES THAT WISHES TO GO FOR PASTORAL OR OPEN GRAZING CAN GO AHEAD.

#5 THOSE WHO WANT TO GO FOR RANCHES— WITH MODERN FACILITIES AND STAFF QUATERS, AS SETTLEMENTS SHOULD ALSO GO AHEAD.

(Note: THE ESSENCE OF 2,3&4 IS TO ENABLE EACH STATE GROW AT THEIR INDIVIDUAL PACE AND ALSO ABOLISH THE OBSOLETE METHOD OF PASTORAL GRAZING FOR RANCHES).

#6 A CENTRAL-RUGA SYSTEM SHOULD BE ESTABLISHED AT THE CHAD BASIN WITH THE SAMBISA FOREST INCLUSIVE AS A CENTRAL GRAZING AREA (HAVING LARGE LAND MASS) OR OTHER REGIONS IN THE NORTH.

#7 THE REGIONAL GRAZING (RUGA- RURAL GRAZING AREA OR RAGA— RANCHING GRAZING AREA) CAN IMPORT THEIR PRODUCTS FROM THE CENTRAL—RUGA SYSTEM.

#8 WITH THE ESTABLISHMENT OF RAGA AND RUGA, NO OTHER FORM OF OPEN GRAZING IN REGIONS THAT PRACTICES THE RANCHING SYSTEM (RAGA).

#9 THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT'S ROLE IN THESE IS TO ENSURE THAT THESE FUNDS AREN'T MISAPPROPRIATED BY STATES GOVERNMENT.

#10 THE PASTORIALS MOVEMENT SHOULD BE LIMITED TO STATES UPON WHICH THEY ARE ESTABLISHED.

#11 AN EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION SHOULD BE ESTABLISHED WITHIN THE REGION HAVING RUGA SO THEY CAN ENCOURAGE THEIR WARDS TO LEARN THE ADVANCED SYSTEM OF GRAZING.

#12 THERE CAN ALSO BE AN EMPOWERMENT PROGRAM FOR THERE WARDS TO LEARN OTHER TRADES, BUSINESSES OR CRAFTS.

#13 THE ESTABLISHMENT OF RAGA WOULD NOT ONLY INCREASE AND CREATE JOB OPPORTUNITIES BUT WILL ALSO GROW THE GDP OF EACH STATE.

I think the purpose of creating RUGA is to bring an end to the persistent Farmers (Community)/ Herdersmen conflict, thus creating a peaceful and an enabling atmosphere. From the above, I think peace can also be achieved without necessarily creating a Fulani managed Grazing System (colony) all states and region should be allowed to establish their own system and run it in their own way. But if this is turned down by the government or if the government insist on a Fulani managed RUGA, then they do have some hidden 'sinisteric' agenda that World bodies need to get involved in.

So I am calling on all well meaning Nigerians to lend me there voices and support as we Mandate the Federal Government of Nigeria to adopt an all encompassing Economic policy to establish RUGA that will be compatible with the socio-cultural Organisation and structure of all states/region.

Rejecting RUGA totally is accepting Marginalisation, because the proposed budget of $11 billion dollars must be released for the RUGA project with or without our consent or the approvals of our Representative at the National Assembly.

Let's not deny ourselves this opportunity to develop our region agriculturally with the help of the Federal Government.
As Chimamanda Adichie rightly pointed out, there is always another side of a story only if ww can look at it with a different approach. Also, 'When live gives you Lemon, try making Lemonade out of it....' The Federal Government has offered us RUGA ( Rural Grazing Area) let's make RAGA (Ranching Grazing Area) out of it.
I call on CSO's, Southern Nigerian Governors, Lawmakers, Academics, Scholars, Intellectuals and Elite to come together and put this through....
#Give_RAGA but under our terms and condition
#Restructure_The_Nation

I remain my humble self

Comrd. Chiemezie Ezeani

Executive Director #LIFT4Africa

My apologies to those who still feel offended....
Re: Why Ruga...??? by AroOkigbo(m): 5:47pm On Jul 03, 2019
RUGA has been suspended. ..you can't use tax payers money to develop Fulani!
Re: Why Ruga...??? by Deicide: 6:45pm On Jul 03, 2019
What exactly is this RUGA, i just read on Wikipedia and it says they use them in fighting war bla bla bla.
Re: Why Ruga...??? by monimbo(m): 7:53pm On Jul 03, 2019
Have a look at it
Deicide:
What exactly is this RUGA, i just read on Wikipedia and it says they use them in fighting war bla bla bla.

Re: Why Ruga...??? by monimbo(m): 11:10am On Jul 05, 2019
AroOkigbo:
RUGA has been suspended. ..you can't use tax payers money to develop Fulani!

It's suspension is more dangerous....
Re: Why Ruga...??? by lastmessenger: 11:50am On Jul 05, 2019
monimbo:

It's suspension is more dangerous....
thd Fulani's are here rationalizing why we should give them free land.
we have criminal elements moving about and killing people. You did not bring them to justice and then boom you want to settle them in the same land they killed people.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

“yoruba Pentecostalism Is The Reason Why Fulanis Are Invading Us Today,” –nnamdi / Tribunal Denies PDP More Time To Close Case / Confusion As Villagers Take Corpse To Zamfara Government House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.