Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,113 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:23 PM

Imports, Low Prices Hurt Maize Farmers - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Imports, Low Prices Hurt Maize Farmers (4770 Views)

New Telegram Group For Maize Farmers Only. / Maize Farmers Only / Home For Just Maize Farmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Imports, Low Prices Hurt Maize Farmers by DeKen: 9:08pm On Jul 05, 2019
Why is local production always more expensive than import in Nigeria? How does the other countries we import from produce their own cheaper?

This is what should be addressed and things will normalize on it's own. Who will import when there is sufficient quality local production at affordable price?

We love chasing shadows sha. Busy treating symptoms instead of the disease

1 Like

Re: Imports, Low Prices Hurt Maize Farmers by haryomikun(m): 2:57am On Jul 06, 2019
omohayek:

I'll give you credit for trying, but what I had in mind was something a lot more meaty than an introductory article in Investopedia (which is just a specialized version of Wikipedia, freely editable by any anonymous individual). The following are the kinds of sources that treat the issue in a rigorous manner; needless to say, the evidence going very much against the naive thinking you've laid out above.

Frankel, Romer - Does Trade Cause Growth?
Acemoglu - Introduction to Economic Growth
I'll read through both links sir. Might learn something new.

Thanks by the way

1 Like

Re: Imports, Low Prices Hurt Maize Farmers by Shittynaija: 10:20pm On Jul 06, 2019
urahara:

For bleeps sake , things don't work like that , they tried that with the rice and we all know how things turned out.
It works that way but the problem is that we do not understand how it is done. With globalization, you have to find a way to protect your country
Re: Imports, Low Prices Hurt Maize Farmers by Babacele: 3:07pm On Jul 07, 2019
jam04:
The glut is bad and this started in 2018
The glut is not being taken advantage of in terms of food security e.g animal feed production cost crashing since 60% of the ingredient come from maize; and ,as a source of foreign exchange as people need maize globally but it is illegal to export maize from Nigeria etc I hope the new minister of Agriculture would promote more farmer- friendly policies.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Day Old Chicks At The Lowest Prices- Afrimash.com / Sweet Potato Flour(Wholesale and Retail) / FG Announced Plans To Reach Over 60,000 Farmers With Highly Subsidized Input

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.