Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,781 members, 7,820,730 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:23 PM

Like Biodun Fatoyinbo, Like Jimmy Swaggart - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Like Biodun Fatoyinbo, Like Jimmy Swaggart (536 Views)

Ese Walter On Biodun Fatoyinbo Vs Busola Dakolo: I Have Never Felt More Proud / Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo Reacts To Rape Allegation By Busola Dakolo / Meet Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo & Wife, The Man Accused Of Rape By Bukola Dakolo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Like Biodun Fatoyinbo, Like Jimmy Swaggart by JKisOK(m): 9:06am On Jul 05, 2019
Jimmy Lee Swaggart, born March 15, 1935, is an American Pentecostal evangelist, who started out with the Assemblies of God church before going independent after a chain of illicit sex scandals.

Swaggart's TV ministry, which began in 1971, has a viewing audience both in the U.S. and internationally, on 78 channels in 104 other countries, and over the Internet. At its height in the 1980s, his telecast was transmitted to over 3,000 stations and cable systems each week.

In 1988, Swaggart was implicated in a sex scandal involving a prostitute that resulted initially in his suspension, and ultimately defrocking, by the Assemblies of God. Three years later Swaggart was implicated in another scandal involving a prostitute. As a result, Swaggart's ministry became non-affiliated, non-denominational and significantly smaller than it was in the ministry's pre-scandal years.

He patronised the Travel Inn on Airline Highway in Baton Rouge. A camera with a telephoto lens was placed in the window of the motel's Room 12, and was draped with a black cloth by spies. When Swaggart arrived, he reportedly went into Room 7. Randy Gorman and Garland Bilbo had taken photos of Swaggart outside Room 7 with Debra Murphree, local prostitute. Gorman arrived at the Travel Inn a short while later and asked Swaggart what he was doing there.

Investigating Assemblies leaders were shown photos of several men coming in and going out of Room 7 at the Travel Inn Motel in New Orleans. This was done to establish that the room was being used for prostitution. One of the men seen leaving Room 7 was Swaggart. The presbytery leadership of the Assemblies of God decided that Swaggart should be suspended from broadcasting his television program for three months.

SWAGGART'S CONFESSION AND DEFROCKING
On February 21, 1988, without giving any details regarding his transgressions, Swaggart gave his now-infamous "I have sinned" speech. He spoke tearfully to his family, congregation, TV audience, and finally said "I have sinned against You, my Lord, and I would ask that Your Precious Blood would wash and cleanse every stain until it is in the seas of God's forgetfulness, not to be remembered against me anymore.

The Louisiana presbytery of the Assemblies of God initially suspended Swaggart from the ministry for three months. The national presbytery of the Assemblies of God soon extended the suspension to their standard two-year suspension for sexual immorality. His return to the pulpit coincided with the end of a three-month suspension originally ordered by the Assemblies. Believing that Swaggart was not genuinely repentant in submitting to their authority, the hierarchy of the Assemblies of God immediately defrocked him, removing his credentials and ministerial license.

Swaggart then became an independent non-denominational Pentecostal minister, establishing Jimmy Swaggart Ministries, based in the Family Worship Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and the Sonlife Broadcasting Network (SBN) can be seen in the United States, as well as many other countries across the world.

1991 SCANDAL
On October 11, 1991, Swaggart was found in the company of a prostitute for a second time. He was pulled over by a police officer in Indio, California, for driving on the wrong side of the road. With him in the vehicle was a woman named Rosemary Garcia. According to Garcia, Swaggart had stopped to proposition her on the side of the road. She later told reporters, "He asked me for sex. I mean, that's why he stopped me. That's what I do. I'm a prostitute. This time, rather than confessing to his congregation, Swaggart told those at Family Worship Center, "The Lord told me it's flat none of your business."
Swaggart's son Donnie then announced to the stunned audience that his father would be temporarily stepping down as head of Jimmy Swaggart Ministries for "a time of healing and counseling.”

MODIFIED WITH INFO FROM: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Swaggart

ATTENTION-
lalasticlala
mynd
seun
fynestboi
olawalebabs
richiez

PLEASE, AS TODAY IS SUNDAY, COULD YOU PLEASE, PUSH THIS TO THE PROMISED LAND

Re: Like Biodun Fatoyinbo, Like Jimmy Swaggart by Chapelbeatz(m): 9:11am On Jul 05, 2019
Haba.But theres no krest or bonnet style na.
Re: Like Biodun Fatoyinbo, Like Jimmy Swaggart by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jul 05, 2019
No basis of comparison!

-Jimmy Swaggart, didn't rape anyone, Biodun Fatoyinbo raped at least someone

-Jimmy Swaggart was remorseful, Biodun Fatoyinbo is remorseless.

-Jimmy scandals were not with church members but with prostitutes, Biodun Fatoyinbo's scandals involves church members and workers, at least one of them was a virgin.

I mean the difference is very stark for Jimmy was good man that made mistakes, while Biodun is a wicked man that was engaging in atrocities and immoral acts that defined his person and lifestyle, for they were very deliberate acts and only he knew how long he thought he would have be able to get away with it. And he obviously even resorted to blackmail to intimidate and force his rape victim to keep quiet.

And we wait to find out at least if he would admit to his sinful acts and apologize as Jimmy did, for maybe that's where a similarity could be drawn between them.

3 Likes

Re: Like Biodun Fatoyinbo, Like Jimmy Swaggart by JKisOK(m): 3:13pm On Jul 05, 2019
jesusjnr:
No basis of comparison!

-Jimmy Swaggart, didn't rape anyone, Biodun Fatoyinbo raped at least someone

-Jimmy Swaggart was remorseful, Biodun Fatoyinbo is remorseless.

-Jimmy scandals were not with church members but with prostitutes, Biodun Fatoyinbo's scandals involves church members and workers, at least one of them was a virgin.

I mean the difference is very stark for Jimmy was good man that made mistakes, while Biodun is a wicked man that was engaging in atrocities and immoral acts that defined his person and lifestyle, for they were very deliberate acts and only he knew how long he would have be able to get away with it. And he obviously even resorted to blackmail to intimidate and force his rape victim to keep quiet.

And we wait to find out at least if he would admit to his sinful acts and apologize as Jimmy did, for maybe that's where a similarity could be drawn between them.

Deep and insightful submission, and I completely agree. The parallel is about two pastors who fell from grace to grass morally. The Bible is clear jn 1 Corinthians 10:12 that, "Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall."

1 Like

Re: Like Biodun Fatoyinbo, Like Jimmy Swaggart by TruthinAction: 10:31pm On Jul 05, 2019
JKisOK:

Deep and insightful submission, and I completely agree. The parallel is about two pastors who fell from grace to grass morally. The Bible is clear jn 1 Corinthians 10:12 that, "Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall."

All these happens because there is no more moral teachings in most churches. All you hear is prophecies and messages that they know people want to hear.

Besides, success without discipline also contributes. Most ministers misbehave when they become wealthy like King Solomon did. They think they now have the money to date celebrities. This is why wealth is sometimes dangerous. A man's true character is revealed when he has money. May God help us all.
Re: Like Biodun Fatoyinbo, Like Jimmy Swaggart by JKisOK(m): 11:05am On Jul 06, 2019
TruthinAction:

All these happens because there is no more moral teachings in most churches. All you hear is prophecies and messages that they know people want to hear.

Besides, success without discipline also contributes. Most ministers misbehave when they become wealthy like King Solomon did. They think they now have the money to date celebrities. This is why wealth is sometimes dangerous. A man's true character is revealed when he has money. May God help us all.

Charisma without character.... that is the bane of several men of God who fell in the past. Some suffer from overconfidence. May God deliver His people from such wolves dressed as sheep and from the blind leading the blind

(1) (Reply)

Identifying The Sources Of Dream / Breaking: New Nigeria Passport Has Herdsmen Inscribed In It – Apostle Suleiman A / What Sort Of Man Is This???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.