Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,449 members, 7,846,868 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 05:01 AM

The Tar-baby And Southwest Politics - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Tar-baby And Southwest Politics (175 Views)

Agberos Are Shareholders In Lagos & Southwest Politics, / Tar Baby And Southwest Politics (3) RUGA / The Tar-baby And Southwest Politics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Tar-baby And Southwest Politics by raybaba97(m): 11:44am On Jul 05, 2019
Tar-Baby and South-West Politics

Tar-Baby is a popular term that I have come across during my many years surfing the net.

A Tar-Baby is as the term suggests, a baby that is made of tar. Too sticky to withdraw from if you try to hold it and too flexible to completely crush.

To the best of my current knowledge, it was first used to describe the German invasion of Russia during the second world war. It is a term that describes quite accurately the situation that the German army found itself after the invasion of mother Russia. They could not withdraw from the motherland and could not hold for long at that current pace of conflict.

It is also used to describe the situation of the Manchurian army in china during the same period.

The fact that I find myself attributing the current state of south-west politics to a popular word for a losing army should be a cause of concern for us all. The south-west has created for themselves a problem they cannot solve, and we find ourselves deep inside the enemy camp, and we cannot escape.

The problem stems from the Jonathan-South-eastern betrayal after the 2011 election. The politically conscious Yoruba found himself pushed away from the halls of power and marginalized from his control of certain positions. Ex-president Jonathan with Urging from his south-eastern neighbours refuted all calls for equal distribution across the geo-political zones.

To the Yoruba, this was a betrayal of the highest order. The south and Mid-Belt were the pillars that won the presidency for him, yet only the South-South and South-east seemed to enjoy his favour.

For most Yoruba politicians, all the begging that the ex-president did in the lead up to the 2015 elections may as well been the grovelling of a chicken before you kill it. He had already betrayed them once and they would not support him for anything.

Mohammad Buhari was meant to be the necessary evil.

Everyone knew he was a terrible choice, but he had the needed northern votes and the support to win in the mid-belt region. With the help of propaganda, social media and Jonathan’s own seemingly (in)competence at making enemies, the 2015 election was won.

The idea was Buhari could promote whatever northern idea he wanted from the central government as long as he did not offend southern Christian sensibilities. The shouts of South-eastern marginalization were expected and ignored, Afterall, it was karma. It was believed the Vice-president will be able to restrain him from attempting any truly outrageous policy.

So, the 5th government was created in the spirit of Yoruba vengeance, Northern machinations, mid-belt support, a lot of propaganda and an outrageous amount of money.

To be continued().

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Election: Do What Nigerians Want – Atiku Tells Judiciary / We'll Not Compromise Senate Oversight Powers, Lawan Assures Nigerians / The Tar-baby And Southwest Nigeria (2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.