Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,300 members, 7,850,067 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 01:45 PM

The Only Way That Nigeria Can Defeat Cameroon - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Only Way That Nigeria Can Defeat Cameroon (752 Views)

FIFA Women’s World Cup: How Nigeria’s Falcons Can Defeat England’s Lionesses / Falconets Defeat Cameroon And Edge Closer To World Cup In Costa Rica / Falconets break 12-year jinx to win Africa Games, defeat Cameroon on penalties (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Only Way That Nigeria Can Defeat Cameroon by Soccerhero: 1:17am On Jul 06, 2019
The only way that the Super Eagles of Nigeria can defeat the Indomitable lions of Cameroon is by Playing a 5-3-2 formation.

The goal of soccer training is improved performance, injury prevention, soccer skills and tactics. Improved performance should never come at the cost of an injured player. Goal #1 is injury prevention in a soccer conditioning program. Goal #2 is to improve performance.

The 5-3-2 formation is a defensively oriented formation, that can be used with a sweeper or with a flat line of 5 defenders. The 5-3-2 puts pressure on the full backs to support the attack and provide width.

Defending
The 5 defenders offer’s a tremendous amount of cover along the defensive line. This position can use a traditional sweeper placed 3-5 yards behind a back four, or use 3 defenders central that cover wide if the full backs join the attack. Diagram A illustrates a sweeper formation and also highlights a consideration coaches and teams must take into account;

Diagram A
5 3 2 formation
[img][/img]

Diagram A illustrates the sweeper formation but also shows the potential flaw, O11 has drifted goal side of X2 but is played onside by the sweeper. This requires the sweeper to cover out wide, or to communicate with X2 and let her know to recover goal side. A team that plays a sweeper should be aware that the entire offside dynamic changes.

Diagram B illustrates how the 3 central defenders can be beneficial when a fullback joins the attack;

Diagram B
5 3 2 soccer formation

In diagram B X2 has been sucked high and the team has lost possession. X5 slides over to the right back spot while X4 and X6 remain central covering the forwards. This shape makes a team very resilient and able to cover forwards when a teammate is caught in attack or beaten off the dribble. (O11 has the ball)

Attacking
The 5-3-2 formation is defensive oriented and puts a lot of pressure on the fullbacks to join the attack and provide width. Full backs who do not do this will leave the side very narrow and play congested in a central area. The extra defender frees up a fullback to bomb down the flanks without fear of being exposed in a quick counter attack.

When width is supplied by the full backs, the formation allows a numbers up situation in midfield where 3 central players will often be matched up against 2 opposition players. This allows a team to keep possession with sharp passing, or send an extra body forward to outmatch the defenders and create 2 v 1 mismatches. Diagram C illustrates a mismatch that can be created by an overlapping fullback when playing against a traditional 4-4-2;
[img][/img]
Diagram C
5 3 2 diagram 3

In diagram C O6 and O8 are occupied already marking midfielders. X2 coming up and joining the attack provides a mismatch and a dilemma for O11. O11 can stay wide and track the run of X2, but this leaves X6 to carry the ball into a 3v2 central mismatch that benefits the attackers, or a chain reaction of O8 pressuring the ball could free up an easy pass to X8 in an attacking position. If O11 pressure the ball then X2 is in space to attack down the flanks and put the defense under pressure.

Strengths
Plenty of numbers in the back line, leaving no open players and little room for attackers to operate in.
Numbers in central midfield to win the ball and keep possession.
Two forwards allowing the option of one checking for ball to feet and one to stretch the back line.
The option to play a sweeper and cut out threat from long, high ball in behind, or through balls to attackers.
Weaknesses
A sweeper may leave opposition who are goal side of defenders in an onside position.
Lack of width in a 3 man midfield.
Can fatigue fullbacks who are asked to cover a lot of ground up and down the flank.
Can be difficult to get numbers forward in attack.
Requirements
Fast, athletic full backs who have a very high level of stamina and endurance. The fullback is asked to fulfill the role of defender and midfielder over the course of the game in order to provide the team with enough width.
Defenders who have the pace and awareness to cover behind wide if a full back is caught high and the team lose possession.
Midfielders with the ability to win the ball and pass for possession.

Rohr claims that the eagles lost because his 5 key players did not play, technocrats would fault that. There are times teams play two matches in a week in Europe. There are times they even play three games in one week. If the Eagles had a match about three days from the encounter with Madagascar one could appreciate his fears to avoid injuries or burn-out of the players. But even if that was the case, dropping five regulars was indefensible. In a tournament like the Nations Cup, players get better with matches. You have players from different clubs who have probably been together for about three weeks or one month. They blend more with matches. What Rohr did was to break the rhythm or momentum. But he has never impressed in terms of match planning and reading. The weekend the ongoing Nations Cup started, I wrote here that I hoped he would make up for his Russia 2018 World Cup blunders. There were flaws I saw in their friendly matches which were not corrected before the World Cup started and I said the Eagles should be celebrated if they reached the second round. They did not. I knew it would be difficult. They could not play as a unit defensively and offensively. Again, Rohr appeared overwhelmed in the match against Argentina and could not read the game to make the right changes. At a time Mikel Obi and Ahmed Musa were completely burnt out and were no longer running. Rohr allowed them until Argentina scored the winning goal and he moved to make changes two minutes to time. After we lost to Madagascar, Odion Ighalo, our top striker, complained that he was not getting enough supplies. That wouldn’t have been so if they were collective in their approach. It’s the same problem I pointed out before the World Cup. But I don’t want to delve in the past. We play Cameroon today in the round of 16. They are a strong football country, the first African country to reach quarter-finals of a World Cup tournament which they set in Italia ’90. They beat the defending champions, Argentina playing Diego Maradona and only lost to England in a penalty shootout. They have a stronger and richer football history than Nigeria, having won the Nations Cup more times than Nigeria. Three of the five times they won the African Cup were against Nigeria in the final. It is always interesting to recall history or past meetings in games but what matters is current form. You may argue that the Cameroon we saw in the first round in Egypt looked stronger than the Eagles, especially after the awful outing against Madagascar. When we beat Burundi 1-0 and Madagascar played 2-2 with Guinea, I told Christian Chukwu who has been monitoring the games in Egypt from his London hospital that the standard Guinea and Madagascar displayed was higher than what I saw of Eagles and Burundi. I was disappointed we lost to Madagascar, but I was not surprised going by their game against Guinea. Does Genort Rohr monitor opponents? I hope he has watched the matches of the Indomitable Lions in the ongoing games in Egypt. I saw in them a very strong, physical side with a lot of pace. They run, and they are quick. They move almost with the pace of the ball. But they lack the finesse Eagles have in passing the ball. They also come short of the Eagles in individual skills. The Eagles made a lot of wrong passes in the game against Madagascar, something I attribute to the discord that resulted from the changes Rohr made. He was wrong. Can he get it right against Cameroon? He has his game plan. I wish it works for us. But based on what we saw of Cameroon, Eagles could be outrun and physically overwhelmed if they don’t play many players behind the ball so that Cameroon would not find space to use. Having many players behind the ball will create room for a passing game and breakaways. If they leave space between the midfielders and defenders, the game may even be over for us in the first half. Cameroon could muscle them. But when they have many players behind the ball and many players around the ball when necessary, they can beat Cameroon. In attacking, they should be collective, and that’s what having players around the ball when attacking creates. I’m not their coach. I make these points based on what I saw of the two teams in this tournament. I recommend the Cameroon/Benin Republic match to Rohr to watch and to see how Benin, without high-quality players but with good tactical play, withstood Cameroon. Cameroon’s coach, Clarence Seedorf even gave credit to the bench of Benin for shutting every space in their area. This piece was written before their match against Morocco last night. But they are a team with quality coaching. Rohr has the players to beat Cameroon, but I can’t vouch for his tactics. And I hardly see him passing instructions to the players other than urging them on to keep up the tempo without specific instructions on how to do that. I wish all that could change today for us to move on. Goodluck Nigeria.

Re: The Only Way That Nigeria Can Defeat Cameroon by oluwaahmed: 2:07am On Jul 06, 2019
Its just Rohr is confused if not we can play 3-5-2.
Etebor &, Ndidi playing DM just in front of the 3 defenders. chukwueze &, onyekuru alternating between wing back and wing forwards ( I say this cos we have enough wingers in the team to replace any that have gased out). Iwobi playing CM just behind attackers ighalo & the tall dude(or Ahmed musa). What do you think?
Re: The Only Way That Nigeria Can Defeat Cameroon by Memberclub(m): 3:00am On Jul 06, 2019
I still think the Cameroon team is the worst team in this tournament. Nigeria must win full stop.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Only Way That Nigeria Can Defeat Cameroon by holllandis: 3:07am On Jul 06, 2019
Cameroon will destroy Nigeria
Re: The Only Way That Nigeria Can Defeat Cameroon by Banmeallday: 5:16am On Jul 06, 2019
oluwaahmed:
Its just Rohr is confused if not we can play 3-5-2.
Etebor &, Ndidi playing DM just in front of the 3 defenders. chukwueze &, onyekuru alternating between wing back and wing forwards ( I say this cos we have enough wingers in the team to replace any that have gased out). Iwobi playing CM just behind attackers ighalo & the tall dude(or Ahmed musa). What do you think?

You people are very happy to be hiring quack and outdated Europeans because they are Oyibo and make you feel like you belong...that is...to real footballing nations...

These Oyibo coaches love to take bribe and then jet off to invest or reinvest in their businesses back home while your football program remains shythole like.

Rohr and the French Cameroonian coach all suck....and for Africa, it is shameful.....
Re: The Only Way That Nigeria Can Defeat Cameroon by oluwaahmed: 4:35pm On Jul 06, 2019
Banmeallday:

You people are very happy to be hiring quack and outdated Europeans because they are Oyibo and make you feel like you belong...that is...to real footballing nations...

These Oyibo coaches love to take bribe and then jet off to invest or reinvest in their businesses back home while your football program remains shythole like.

Rohr and the French Cameroonian coach all suck....and for Africa, it is shameful.....

Very shameful my brother. Those 3rd class outdated white coaches don't know jack or give a fûck about the development of African football. Apart from collecting bribes, they sign on players as agents and field them to play major competitions. E.g the so-called uzoho 18y.o Nigeria goalkeeper. Dude was in deportivo youth team but he left all the quality goalkeepers in our league to for someone who cannot catch ball. In this tournament he did not even carry the top scorer in our local league to the competition, I mean how fûcked up is that?

1 Like

Re: The Only Way That Nigeria Can Defeat Cameroon by Banmeallday: 10:00pm On Jul 06, 2019
oluwaahmed:

Very shameful my brother. Those 3rd class outdated white coaches don't know jack or give a fûck about the development of African football. Apart from collecting bribes, they sign on players as agents and field them to play major competitions. E.g the so-called uzoho 18y.o Nigeria goalkeeper. Dude was in deportivo youth team but he left all the quality goalkeepers in our league to for someone who cannot catch ball. In this tournament he did not even carry the top scorer in our local league to the competition, I mean how fûcked up is that?

GBAM on point!

(1) (Reply)

Lionel Messi Launches Clothing Line (video) / Cristiano Ronaldo Shades FIFA Best Awards With Epic Instagram Post / Cech's Hockey Helmet Has Arsenal Badge On One Side & Chelsea Badge On The Other

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.