Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,203 members, 7,953,755 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:40 AM

Grudge Match As Super Eagles Battle Cameroon For AFCON Quarter-final Ticket - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Grudge Match As Super Eagles Battle Cameroon For AFCON Quarter-final Ticket (247 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa: Jay Jay Okocha Speaks On AFCON Quarter-final Clash / Nigeria Vs South Africa: AFCON Quarter Final (2 - 1) Full Time / U20 AFCON: Flying Eagles Battle Mali For Final Ticket. Today 4pm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Grudge Match As Super Eagles Battle Cameroon For AFCON Quarter-final Ticket by Sheggun1: 2:49am On Jul 06, 2019
Grudge match as Super Eagles battle Cameroon for AFCON quarter-final ticket It is said when two elephants fight, it is the grass that suffers. The same scenario will play out this evening when the three time African champions, the Super Eagles of Nigeria battle five time champions, the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon. Without doubt, pitch of the 20,000 capacity Alexandria stadium will feel the brunt when the two giants of African football battle for one of the quarter-final tickets in the ongoing Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt.Both teams finished runner -up in their respective groups despite being rated to top, and low fire power is a constant variable in both camps with only two goals in each team’s kitty. while group B favorites the Super Eagles who were favored to have an easy ride fell 0-2 against debutants Madagascar in their last group match, the Lions of Cameroon also struggled to hold Benin Republic 0-0.

Ahead of today’s match, expectations are high that the Super Eagles would put behind them the ‘mishap’ against Madagascar and repeat their recent show of supremacy over the Cameroonians. It will be recalled that even though Cameroon have had the upper hand against Nigeria in AFCON history, the Super Eagles recently humiliated the Indomitable Lions in the race to the 2018 FIFA World Cup. Furthermore, it is on record that the Lions have not beaten the Super Eagles in regulation time since 27th August 1989, when an under-strength Nigeria side lost 0-1 in Yaounde in an Italia 1990 World Cup qualifier -two weeks after Samuel Okwaraji died in another World Cup qualifier against Angola in Lagos. Today’s match is there a grudge encounter but going by recent performances, the Super Eagles should be able to survive even in the lion’s den. Despite lifting a fifth African title in Gabon 30 months ago, Cameroon failed to qualify for the 2018 FIFA World Cup but the Super Eagles were among the first to qualify for Russia 2018. The Indomitable Lions may be fast losing their claws but nobody can undermine their capacity to roar again as they hunt for their sixth AFCON title. However, a former Flying Eagles coach, John Obuh in a chat with Trust Sports expressed confidence that the Super Eagles will soar over the Lions of Cameroon. “I think it is a game that we hope to do well. In recent times, we have been overcoming Cameroon and Saturday will not be an exception. I’m very sure Nigeria will defeat Cameroon. “The Super Eagles players just have to lift themselves up as far as they are not reading what is being said about them in the newspapers or in the internet because sometimes these things affect the players. “They have to play as a team, improve on their characters, their attitudes which this time must be a winning attitude. “The coach as well must bring out his best as much as possible. He is with them and it will be difficult to say what player he should use and not use from our side. And whoever is selected must play out his heart,” he said. In the same vein, FIFA instructor and former coach of the Super Eagles, Adegboye Onigbinde said as a Nigerian, he wants the Super Eagles to win. “I have not changed my nationality. I’m a still a Nigerian. I want Nigeria to do well, full stop. “Unfortunately, I was not in Egypt and I don’t access matches on television. I have gone beyond that level. I’m not an insider in present day Nigerian football and I wouldn’t know what is happening there,” he quipped. Similarly, the General Secretary of the Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, Dr. Mohammed Sanusi revealed that the players are physically and technically ready to battle their perennial foes today. “Cameroon knows Nigeria and Nigeria knows Cameroon. We have met several times and for those who follow football know the outcome. “They defeated us and we have also defeated them but football is becoming more scientific every day, such that the scientific part of it is more difficult than modern science. “In modern science, when you do 1+1, it gives you two but in football, it could be negative or positive where tactics and luck come together,” he said. Chairman of Enyimba FC, Felix Anyansi-Agwu who is currently in Cairo also expressed confidence that Super Eagles will beat Cameroon to reach quarter-finals. “Nigeria will win. The players are relaxed and Nigerians should pray for them. For the fact that we lost a match is not a big deal. “Big teams have lost matches. There is no team or country that has not lost a match before,” he said. A former Nigerian international, Mutiu Adepoju has also thrown his weight behind the Super Eagles to bounce back on Saturday. He told Trust Sports that it will be an exciting match and in the end, the Super Eagles will triumph. “It is going to be an exciting match. I believe the Super Eagles won’t allow what happened to them against Madagascar to repeat itself. It was a match we didn’t do too well. Everything was wrong. “I believe the match against Cameroon will be motivation to the Super Eagles. They will perform better on Saturday. The game is going to be very interesting and they will put in their best,” he enthused. Optimism may be high in some quarters for the Super Eagles to soar high above the Lions from Cameroon but things must fall nicely in place for them this afternoon as they seek a place in the tournament quarter finals, with young horses Alex Iwobi, Moses Simon, Samuel Chukwueze, Wilfred Ndidi, Ola Aina, Chidozie Awaziem and even the experienced Odion Ighalo aware they cannot afford to falter at this stage in their AFCON debut. With Mikel injured and certain to be on the bench, the burden is on Ahmed Musa’s shoulders to rally the troop from the humiliation by Madagascar and launch offensive after offensive that will break down the traditionally -strong Lions rearguard. It promises to be a cracker but a former international, Garba Lawal feels strongly that Rohr shouldn’t shy away from playing youngsters like Samuel Chukwueze against Cameroon. He said the youngsters in the team are hungry for opportunity to make a name with the Super Eagles. “It is no doubt a big match and the Super Eagles themselves know this fact. Any match between Nigeria and Cameroon is never easy. “I am expecting fireworks but the coach should not be afraid to field some of the young boys. Someone like Chukuweze can be the joker against Cameroon. He is young but courageous. “He is not alone. There is also Victor Osimhen who had a very good season in Europe. He is yet to play a match in the 2019 AFCON but in life we must be ready to take risk,” he said. Attacking winger, Simon Moses was the hero in the last match between Nigeria and Cameroon. The youngster who is favoured to start today’s match scored for Nigeria when the Super Eagles played a dramatic 1-1 draw with Cameroon at the Stade Omnisport Amadou Ahidjo in Yaounde, on Monday, September 4, 2017 on their way to the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

(1) (Reply)

Okocha Speaks How He Made Racists Eat Grass In Germany / PSG Vow To Take Appropriate Action Against Neymar Jr.(read Detail) / Priced Out! United Slap New £180m Valuation On Pogba.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.