Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,632 members, 7,958,884 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 06:33 AM

Nas Blasts Def Jam In Email To La Reid & Staff: “i Am Nobody’s Slave” - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nas Blasts Def Jam In Email To La Reid & Staff: “i Am Nobody’s Slave” (1533 Views)

Is D'banj Lying To Everyone? Good Music, Def Jam & Now Sony Music / D'banj New Record Label " Def Jam Africa". / D'banj Signs Davido To His New Rrecord Label Def Jam Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nas Blasts Def Jam In Email To La Reid & Staff: “i Am Nobody’s Slave” by poweredcom(m): 10:54pm On Oct 09, 2010
Evidently frustrated with the lack of promotion of his upcoming Lost Tapes 2 album Nas fired off a letter to the executives at Def Jam saying that he is “nobody’s slave” and that they don’t understand rap music. Read on…

[b]From: Nas

To: LA Reid, Steve Bartels, Steve Gawley, Michael Seltzer, Joseph Borrino, Chris Hicks

Subject: PUT MY SHIT OUT!

Peace to all,

With all do respect to you all, Nas is NOBODY’s slave. This is not the 1800’s, respect me and I will respect you.

I won’t even tap dance around in an email, I will get right into it. People connect to the Artist @ the end of the day, they don’t connect with the executives. Honestly, nobody even cares what label puts out a great record, they care about who recorded it. Yet time and time again its the executives who always stand in the way of a creative artist’s dream and aspirations. You don’t help draw the truth from my deepest and most inner soul, you don’t even do a great job @ selling it. The #1 problem with DEF JAM is pretty simple and obvious, the executives think they are the stars. You aren’t…. not even close. As a matter of fact, you wish you were, but it didn’t work out so you took a desk job. To the consumer, I COME FIRST. Stop trying to deprive them! I have a fan base that dies for my music and a RAP label that doesn’t understand RAP. Pretty bleeped up situation

This isn’t the 90’s though. Beefing with record labels is so 15 years ago. @ this point I just need you all to be very clear where I stand and how I feel about “my label.” I could go on twitter or hot 97 tomorrow and get 100,000 protesters @ your building but I choose to walk my own path my own way because since day one I have been my own man. I did business with Tommy Mottola and Donnie Einer, two of the most psycho dudes this business ever created. I worked well with them for one major reason……. they believed in me. The didn’t give a Bleep about what any radio station or magazine said….those dudes had me.

Lost Tapes is a movement and a very important set up piece for my career as it stands. I started this over 5 years ago @ Columbia and nobody knew what it was or what it did but the label put it out as an LP and the fans went crazy for it and I single handlely built a new brand of rap albums. It’s smart and after 5 years it’s still a head of the game. This feels great and you not feeling what I’m feeling is disturbing. Don’t get in the way of my creativity. We are aligned with the stars here, this is a movement. There is a thing called KARMA that comes to haunt you when you tamper with the aligning stars. WE ARE GIVING THE PEOPLE EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT. Stop throwing dog shit on a MAGICAL moment.

You don’t get another Nas recording that doesn’t count against my deal….PERIOD! Keep your bullshit $200,000.00 fund. Open the REAL budget. This is a New York pioneers ALBUM, there ain’t many of us. I am ready to drop in the 4th quarter. You don’t even have shit coming out! Stop being your own worst enemy. Let’s get money!
[/b]
-N.Jones

According to sources the Lost Tapes 2 album is finished but the label says it will not count toward his obligations to the company. Nas signed to Def Jam in 2006 and has put out albums, Hip-Hop Is Dead and Untitled, with the historic rap music label. Earlier this year he released an album with Damon Marley called Distant Relatives on Universal. Nas announced in September that another collection of music, Lost Tapes 2, would be coming this year and released a single with Green Lantern called, “Paper, Power & P—.”

http://theurbandaily.com/music/theurbandailystaff1/nas-blasts-def-jam-in-email-to-la-reid-staff-i-am-nobodys-slave/?omcamp=BPDL

Re: Nas Blasts Def Jam In Email To La Reid & Staff: “i Am Nobody’s Slave” by Dsense(m): 11:03pm On Oct 09, 2010
Of course he's slave of nobody.Abi who's trying to enslave ma Old FAV grin
WOW!!! HOW I USED TO LIKE THIS GUY BUT NOW
Re: Nas Blasts Def Jam In Email To La Reid & Staff: “i Am Nobody’s Slave” by poweredcom(m): 11:34pm On Oct 09, 2010
@D-sense

Of course he's slave of nobody.Abi who's trying to enslave ma Old FAV Huh Grin
WOW!!! HOW I USED TO LIKE THIS GUY BUT NOW

BUT NOW WAT HAVE U READ D COMMENTS THE YANKEE PPLE FANS ON THE LINK , THEY ARE ALL SUPPORT OF NAS AND I AM ALSO IN SUPPORT SINCE WHEN RUSSELL SIMMONS LEFT DEF JAM , THE LABEL IS FUCKING DEAF AND JAM LIKE A CAR TO A TREE, Bleep THE EXECUTIVES.THEY DON KNOW RAP, BUT WANNA TEACH A RAPER HOW TO RAP, Bleep ALL OF DEM THEY JUST WANNA USE THEIR OCCULTIC POWER TO KILL REAL HIPHOP
Re: Nas Blasts Def Jam In Email To La Reid & Staff: “i Am Nobody’s Slave” by Dsense(m): 11:41pm On Oct 09, 2010
poweredcom:

@D-sense

BUT NOW WAT HAVE U READ D COMMENTS THE YANKEE PPLE FANS ON THE LINK , THEY ARE ALL SUPPORT OF NAS AND I AM ALSO IN SUPPORT SINCE WHEN RUSSELL SIMMONS LEFT DEF JAM , THE LABEL IS bleeping DEAF AND JAM LIKE A CAR TO A TREE, bleep THE EXECUTIVES.THEY DON KNOW RAP, BUT WANNA TEACH A RAPER HOW TO RAP, bleep ALL OF DEM THEY JUST WANNA USE THEIR OCCULTIC POWER TO KILL REAL HIPHOP
Yeah he's a great rapper nd can't be compared with any cheap rapper,but me would say i've gotten new FAV .I mean Kanye west,Drake,Jay-z, Trevie mccoy nd B.O.b Williams but am not saying they better than D GREAT Nas but i had like to change ma taste.
Re: Nas Blasts Def Jam In Email To La Reid & Staff: “i Am Nobody’s Slave” by poweredcom(m): 11:51pm On Oct 09, 2010
Kanye west,Drake,Jay-z, Trevie mccoy  nd B.O.b Williams but am not saying they better than D GREAT Nas but i had like to change ma taste.

Well out of al this rapper i will chose Jayz he is an old timer and secondly Kanye he is good, but mccoy drake BOB , not no can do, they  just cheap rappers

Nas is right! The industry has dumbed down everything with this slavery music so when real creativity comes along they dismiss it. The new hotness is garbage…no creativity, no talent, and no brains. We have lost our souls to the ignorant, cookie cutter era in music. I’m tired of bammas saying the same thing with a different accent…way to go Nas…remain the God!

LA Reid NEVER understood rap music. He’s a R&B dude. TLC, Toni Braxton, Usher. Artists like that. He definitely doesn’t get NY hip hop. I don’t know why he runs Def Jam anyway
grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Bless My Hustle + Kite + Jolie- Chidinma Ft. Phyno / Music: Praiz - Oshé Ft Awilo Longomba DOWNLOAD HERE! / Burna Boy - YAWA DEY [official Video]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.