Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:14 AM

Wrongful Arrest By SARS Yesterday - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Wrongful Arrest By SARS Yesterday (918 Views)

Man Goes Unclad To Resist Arrest By LASTMA Officials In Lagos. His Boxers Seized / Invictus Obi: Nigerians React To Obinwanne Okeke Arrest By FBI / Nigerian Street Preacher Arrested in UK, Awarded £2,500 For Wrongful Arrest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wrongful Arrest By SARS Yesterday by Denique(f): 10:43am On Jul 07, 2019
On June 25th,2019, my sister borrowed a phone repairer's phone to call me as she didn't have airtime on her line at the time. Fast forward to July 5th, 2019, a number called me and said he was *** and that he wanted to do repairs for us.

Coincidentally, we had a compressor failure at the plant, told the caller I'd get back to him, just needed to be sure he was actually called for the job. Turns out he wasn't called. The caller called back again some moments later and said he wanted to do laundry with us and so we agreed he would come the next day- 6th July,2019.

I tried calling him if I could send someone to pick up his items since we offer free pick up and delivery, but his line was off. He called after sometime same day and said his driver was on the way and asked for my name. I told him my name and also told him I've been trying to reach him and he confirmed his line was switched off. The supposed driver arrived moments later. He called to say he was outside, went out with my phone to get him, dialed the number he's been using to contact me on my line and like an action movie, two men walked up to me and said they were anti-robbery squad (SARS)from Alagbon station and that I was under arrest . At this point, I was dis-stabilized cos I had no idea what it was I was been arrested for. I asked that my colleague who was in the office with me at the time of my arrest go with me and they obliged but didn't allow the office neighbors go with us.

My phone was confiscated right in the car. I was only allowed to open it when we got to Alagbon. I was then asked to hand it over after opening, the squad team lead dialed a number on my phone and he wasn't even done dialing when the number they were tracking popped up on my line. Guys, before I knew what was happening, they asked who the person was, although it was a received call but isn't registered on my contact list, I told them I had no idea who it was but they kept interrogating me.
Soon after my sister arrived with the HRM along with the company's official phone cos I had told the officers I'd need the office phone to establish it was not a customer's number.
The number was dialed on the phone but didn't pop up. It was at this point, I was allowed to check the said number on my call log, I then realized I received the call on a Tuesday at about 10:42 a:m.

Now, it was beginning to add up as I remembered my sister had called me on that line about that time, so, we called the line repeatedly to know who it was but wasn't picked.

My sister remembers at this point it's the phone repairer guy, whom I know his shop(his shop is beside our house-the next building to be precise)but I can't place his face even at this time. I had given my sister the office phone to fix at his shop for me not quite long.
She recollects here that the guy came to buy potato chips from our neighbor when she pleaded with him to lend her his phone to call me on that day.
Turns out the repairer bought the phone from the culprits unknowingly My only crime in all of these is answering a call from an unknown number.
How was I supposed to know the number my sister called me on was a stolen one?
What if we were not able to recollect the number, would I have been released or detained until it's resolved?
The NPF needs extensive trainings.

I'm using this medium to plead with people to be VERY CAREFUL when taking calls or giving their phones to random persons to call with.
Thank God I was asked to make a statement for my acquital.
It wasn't funny.

#GloryToGod
#NoImplication
#God'sGuidance
Cc: ishilove, izzou, lalasticlala
Pls help spread this for people to be guided!

4 Likes

Re: Wrongful Arrest By SARS Yesterday by kunleweb: 10:47am On Jul 07, 2019
This is a pain to the eyes. Next time do better

1 Like

Re: Wrongful Arrest By SARS Yesterday by Denique(f): 11:08am On Jul 07, 2019
kunleweb:
This is a pain to the eyes. Next time do better

Sorry about the lengthy post. I wanted people to get the whole picture of what transpired hence the long post.

Cc Stanley000
Re: Wrongful Arrest By SARS Yesterday by Denique(f): 11:13am On Jul 07, 2019
For those finding it difficult to read the whole story. Here's the summary:
I was arrested yesterday cos a number was traced to my phone . My sister had used the line to call me sometime in June. Sars said I knew about the crime since the number was used to call me. I was vindicated when the line was traced to a neighbor who buys and repairs phone. So, my concern now is this, is it entirely possible not to pick an unknown number as that was what landed me at the station yesterday.

2 Likes

Re: Wrongful Arrest By SARS Yesterday by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jul 07, 2019
Thank God for you. Someone requested for my phone to make a call today self. But i no give am o.

One has to be Extra Careful

1 Like

Re: Wrongful Arrest By SARS Yesterday by Denique(f): 7:30pm On Jul 07, 2019
RatDead:
Thank God for you.
Someone requested for my phone to make a call today self. But i no give am o.

One has to be Extra Careful
Exactly and pls be mindful of whom you allow access to your phone and the calls you receive especially unregistered numbers cos the latter was what implicated me. Stay safe!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Man Rebukes A Jealous Hooker Trying To Stop Him From Picking Another Hooker / Nigerian Man Beat Up His Partner, Dont Even Fear His Height. VIDEO / Fraudsters Used AI To Mimic Ceo’s Voice In Unusual Cybercrime Case

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.