Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,335 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault (27095 Views)

Senator Elisha Abbo Breaks Silence On Alleged Assault Inside Abuja gadget Shop / Senator Elisha Abbo Responds To Video Of Him Assaulting A Nursing Mother / Video Of Senator Elisha Abbo Assaulting A Woman Inside store (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by DaRuud(m): 9:19pm On Jul 07, 2019
I wish this news can just reach the top story on CNN , BBC , Fox or ABC

Priscy01:
The National Council for Women Society (NCWS), FCT Chapter, has rejected the apology of Senator Elisha Abbo for assaulting a nursing mother at an Abuja adult toy shop, Igbere TV reports.

Igbere TV reports that FCT chair of NCWS, Hadiza Umar, on Sunday, advocated for stiffer punishment for Mr Abbo to serve as deterrent to others who assault women in workplace, shops or markets.

Abbo appeared in a video last week where he repeatedly hit a woman in the face for ‘interfering’ in a misunderstanding with the shop attendant.

Rejecting the lawmaker’s apology, Mrs Umar said: “I am here with my executives and members of NCWS FCT chapter for a peaceful demonstration on what an elected senator, who is supposed to serve us did to one of our women.

“We want to stop the barbaric habits on women either at home, in the markets, shops, workplace and everywhere in the country.

“We are women of integrity and mothers. We are not animals and we are saying no to violence against all women and the assault should stop with immediate effect.”

She called on the United Nations and all other international organisations to ensure the prosecution of Abbo in order to guard against future occurrence.

“We reject his apology and we will do everything within the ambit of law to demand justice for our fellow woman who was assaulted,” she said.

Acting Secretary of FCT Social Development Secretariat (SDS), Safiya Umar, said violence against women is an international offence stipulated in the UN Convention and Beijing Charter.

She said the secretariat had sent an invitation to Abbo to explain his side of the story.

Director of Gender Development Department, Hart Agnes, said the department would not relent in doing everything possible to stop violence against women, children and the physically challenged in the FCT.

Source; http://igberetvnews.com/?p=822706

2 Likes

Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by LordIsaac(m): 9:19pm On Jul 07, 2019
For the first time in my life, I wish to see someone really go down... Violence on the innocent is wicked and must never be trivalised!

5 Likes

Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by Marimax515: 9:21pm On Jul 07, 2019
Na so im dy beat im wife for house o

1 Like

Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by Moventist: 9:23pm On Jul 07, 2019
Useless people, you couldn't drag Buhari with his Terrorist Herdsmen to UN . Misplaced priority
Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by omohayek: 9:23pm On Jul 07, 2019
seborrhic:

In addition by putting the UN on notice,he gets more wider footage and Abbo gets to possibly have some travel restrictions.
Abbo doesn't even understand the full implication of what he has done till the reality hits him.
He may for eg be restricted from entering the US and European countries,despite his believed diplomatic passport,if the UN or these countries deems him a sex assaulter.
He may still be looking at it as the typical Nigerian issue that will die with time and end within Nigeria,particularly when some palms are greased,till he one day goes past Nigerian airports and lands in the US or Europe with hundreds of feminists lined up protesting against him and demanding his not being allowed beyond the confines of those airports into their country.
If Abbo suffers any restrictions on his ability to travel, it will be because of legal judgements against him in Nigeria's courts, not because anybody "dragged" him to the UN.

Nigerians who keep talking nonsense about "dragging" this person or other to the UN fail to understand that the United Nations is NOT a court, it has no jurisdiction over the domestic legal matters of its member nations, and even on those rare occasions when the UN's General Assembly passes a motion to condemn some country, group or individual, such motions have absolutely no teeth whatsoever. It is only when the UN Security Council (with its 5 permanent members and 5 rotating members) passes a resolution that anything of consequence can come of it, and that body only looks at serious matters of war and peace, not at what some no-name politician in some Third World cesspit has done to a shopkeeper.

I fully support Elisha Abbo's being prosecuted to the full extent of the law, but that will only happen when pressure groups focus on Nigeria's own institutions - in particular the police, the judiciary and the NASS - not by making useless complaints to irrelevant international bodies. All we have here is a ridiculous publicity stunt by unserious people (you know they aren't serious when they make Abbo's offense out as worse because he struck a "nursing mother", as if his deeds would be any more acceptable if the victim were single and childless!)

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by GhostWisperer: 9:30pm On Jul 07, 2019
orunmila144:
its not domestic violence. he is not married to the woman he slapped. the UN has a chapter on assault against women and children. and to make matters worse he is a senator. if he does not want to go to jail I would advice him to retire quick quick and just disappear from public life
I know. When I said domestic violence , I meant it's in our domestic laws and well covered as a crime in our domestic laws and statute. It's a matter well covered in our domestic laws, UN has no matter there.

The NGO is looking for more than justice.

1 Like

Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by zoedew: 9:30pm On Jul 07, 2019
What manner of a man goes to such a sinful shop but a depraved sexual pervert!

1 Like

Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by orunmila144: 9:33pm On Jul 07, 2019
GhostWisperer:
I know. When I said domestic violence , I meant it's our domestic law well covered as a crime in our domestic laws. It's a matter well covered in our domestic laws, UN has no matter there.

The NGO is looking for more than justice.
our domestic law ? we have laws ? lmaoooo please dont make me laugh. laws are not enforced on a local level because of corruption so the big boys from outside have to come and enforce it. the UN. and woman abuse is covered under UN laws and they will bring that goat down to his knees. I will advice him to retire and disappear if he does not want to do jail time

1 Like

Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jul 07, 2019
omo the way dem dey treat this guy fvck up eh no be here

2 Likes

Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by GhostWisperer: 9:37pm On Jul 07, 2019
orunmila144:
our domestic law ? we have laws ? lmaoooo please dont make me laugh. laws are not enforced on a local level because of corruption so the big boys from outside have to come and enforce it. the UN. and woman abuse is covered under UN laws and they will bring that goat down to his knees. I will advice him to retire and disappear if he does not want to do jail time
Trust me, the UN can't do a single thing and is more powerless than our local courts.

People without a stint in law always blow the UN power out of proportion! For Pete's sake, UN can only handle stuffs between countries!

Any personal capacity has to be war crimes.

1 Like

Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by Bliss76(f): 9:37pm On Jul 07, 2019
UN wey be toothless dog...
Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by orunmila144: 9:40pm On Jul 07, 2019
GhostWisperer:
Trust me, the UN can't do a single thing and is more powerless than our local courts.

People without a stint in law always blow the UN power out of proportion! For Pete's sake, UN can only handle stuffs between countries!

Any personal capacity has to be war crimes.
i dont think you know what you are talking about https://www.un.org/ruleoflaw/un-and-the-rule-of-law/un-women/

while they may not want to waste time prosecuting such a small case, they will push the president of the country to get the guy fired. you cant keep a woman abuser in senate. it looks bad on the country. someone who is supposed to create laws is breaking it. it doesnt look good for a democracy

1 Like

Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by MarianaTrench: 9:42pm On Jul 07, 2019
Goke7:
Un? Ridiculous. The man already has been disgraced and that's enough.
Anywhere he goes, that stain remains permanent. No need shaking more tables

Has has not yet received adequate punishment

He needs to be fired from the senate

1 Like

Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by Comedian2019: 9:43pm On Jul 07, 2019
freemanbubble:
This man doesn't know what he has put his hand
The guy has thrown stone on bee hive. Stinging thinz grin

1 Like

Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by GhostWisperer: 9:45pm On Jul 07, 2019
orunmila144:
i dont think you know what you are talking about https://www.un.org/ruleoflaw/un-and-the-rule-of-law/un-women/

while they may not want to waste time prosecuting such a small case, they will push the president of the country to get the guy fired. you cant keep a woman abuser in senate. it looks bad on the country. someone who is supposed to create laws is breaking it. it doesnt look good for a democracy
lolz. E go hard you.

UN placing the rule in their charter means member countries are indirectly signatories to it.

The Hague which has the UN court cannot try Senator Abbo.

Read something else that's not always Nairaland threads

And the president can't fire a Senator

1 Like

Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by orunmila144: 9:47pm On Jul 07, 2019
GhostWisperer:
lolz. E go hard you.

UN placing the rule in their charter means member countries are indirectly signatories to it.

The Hague which has the UN court cannot try Senator Abbo.

Read something else that's not always Nairaland threads
you dont know what you are talking about https://www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/vaw/handbook/Handbook%20for%20legislation%20on%20violence%20against%20women.pdf

3.10. Protection orders. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 44
3.10.1. Protection orders for all forms of violence against women. . . . . . . 44
3.10.2. Relationship between protection orders and other
legal proceedings. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 45
3.10.3. Content and issuance of protection orders. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 46
3.10.4. Emergency orders. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 47
3.10.5. Post-hearing orders. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 47

1 Like

Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by GhostWisperer: 9:50pm On Jul 07, 2019
orunmila144:
you dont know what you are talking about https://www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/vaw/handbook/Handbook%20for%20legislation%20on%20violence%20against%20women.pdf

3.10. Protection orders. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 44
3.10.1. Protection orders for all forms of violence against women. . . . . . . 44
3.10.2. Relationship between protection orders and other
legal proceedings. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 45
3.10.3. Content and issuance of protection orders. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 46
3.10.4. Emergency orders. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 47
3.10.5. Post-hearing orders. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 47

Loooooolz! Chai! So who arrests the senator for the UN? Who enforces the law for the UN, when its Court doesn't have enforcement capabilities, only declaration and pronouncement?

Loooooolz!

1 Like

Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by orunmila144: 9:53pm On Jul 07, 2019
GhostWisperer:

Loooooolz! Chai! So who arrests the senator for the UN? Who enforces the law for the UN, when its course doesn't have enforcement capabilities, only declaration and pronouncement?

Loooooolz!
I am sure the people who took the matter to the UN did thorough research before taking the case to the UN. You are here hyperventilating because your hero is about to lose his job or go to jail lmao. take heart.
Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by GhostWisperer: 9:57pm On Jul 07, 2019
orunmila144:
I am sure the people who took the matter to the UN did thorough research before taking the case to the UN. You are here hyperventilating because your hero is about to lose his job or go to jail lmao. take heart.
was Biafra case not taken to the UN? When the UN has no enforcement powers?

And are NGOs and Human Rights Group in Nigerian not another money-scheming ignorant group most of the time?

Elisha Abbo my hero? Damn, I will physically manhandle that bleached up, rat-haired sociopath if I got him.

1 Like

Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by CableWire: 9:59pm On Jul 07, 2019
Goke7:
Un? Ridiculous. The man already has been disgraced and that's enough.
Anywhere he goes, that stain remains permanent. No need shaking more tables

Who's shaking which table?
Where did you even see table?
There are no more tables to shake either.
The last table left was in shambles and no carpenter could fix it so we the Nigerian Nursing Mothers' Association (Lagos Chapter) now used them to make fire for our last child dedication held at Ajah.

P. S.
So, no more tables!

1 Like

Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by orunmila144: 10:01pm On Jul 07, 2019
GhostWisperer:
was Biafra case not taken to the UN? When the UN has no enforcement powers?

And are NGOs and Human Rights Group in Nigerian not another money-scheming ignorant group most of the time?
the biafra case was taken to the UN which is why many UN people were in biafra bringing food to the starrving children and alleviating the suffering. and now the UN is going to step in to alleviate the suffering of women in nigeria. you dont see a trend here ? pastor rapes woman and senator slaps woman ? bro nigeria is about to be cleaned up once and for all. the time is here. UN is about to push their weight behind all the powers that be to relieve that man of his job. a man like that cannot be in the senate. he belongs in the zoo

2 Likes

Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by GhostWisperer: 10:05pm On Jul 07, 2019
orunmila144:
the biafra case was taken to the UN which is why many UN people were in biafra bringing food to the starrving children and alleviating the suffering. and now the UN is going to step in to alleviate the suffering of women in nigeria. you dont see a trend here ? pastor rapes woman and senator slaps woman ? bro nigeria is about to be cleaned up once and for all. the time is here. UN is about to push their weight behind all the powers that be to relieve that man of his job. a man like that cannot be in the senate. he belongs in the zoo
I meant the Nnamdi Kalu IPOB Biafra, not the civil war.

1 Like

Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by orunmila144: 10:06pm On Jul 07, 2019
GhostWisperer:
I meant the Nnamdi Kalu IPOB Biafra, not the civil war.
Nnamdi Kanu is a CIA agent

1 Like

Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by rusher14: 10:23pm On Jul 07, 2019
Mubi village people sabi press the button.
Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by fakuta(f): 10:35pm On Jul 07, 2019
Sometimes we the Nigerian women are the course of our problems, imagine if they took the case of chibok girls and Leah shribu this way, imagine if they protest against the loots of Patience Jonathan and Alison maduake this way, what Sen. Cliff did was very bad but they are currently politicising the issue. The people that voted him had forgiven him and the woman he slapped also forgave him.
Please let's put our minds and energy into real issues that has to do with our present situation, and moving Nigeria forward,
Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by loadedvibes: 10:46pm On Jul 07, 2019
The matter has gone on for two long, somebody might as well cash out from it. With my suggestion its a win win for both parties, the politician lives to fight another whilst the woman is smiling to the bank abi na dignity she go chop ?
martineverest:
typical attitude of average nigerians:money over everything, including dignity....what will serve as deterrent to power-drunk and oppressive Nigerians?

we complained about bad government,yet the citizens are worse
Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by martineverest(m): 10:48pm On Jul 07, 2019
post=80044041:
The matter has gone on for two long, somebody might as well cash out from it. With my suggestion its a win win for both parties, the politician lives to fight another whilst the woman is smiling to the bank abi na dignity she go chop ?
then the rich will keep oppressing the poor and then using money to buy the mindset of the poor.....same.way politicians will keep buying the indigents

1 Like

Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by bizhop01: 10:53pm On Jul 07, 2019
The Abuja adult toy shop become popular overnight.
Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by loadedvibes: 11:00pm On Jul 07, 2019
If you are ever waiting for equality or fair life you better wakeup, life is a jungle
martineverest:
then the rich will keep oppressing the poor and then using money to buy the mindset of the poor.....same.way politicians will keep buying the indigents
Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by placeofallure(f): 3:36am On Jul 08, 2019
post=80040749:
This Senator no just Sabi anything.. what he should do is invite the woman over apologise to her.. give her some money put her child on scholarship.. from that moment it's the woman that would be advocating for you rendering all these oversabi feminist powerless and useless.

From your comment it is obvious you can do same or possibly more if you can trivialise what the recalcitrant 'sinator' has done. On no account should a man raise his hands against a woman. Did you see the video? Some men cannot take as much as 7 or 8 hits before they collapse. The Abbo guy is an animal that crept out of a hole. Imagine the arrogance, the effrontery "Drop the phone when I am talking..." Who does he think he is? Could the lone votes of his family have taken him thus far? They should take his case to any length possible so other he-goats like him can learn. If the assaulted woman were your aunt, wife, sister or mother, would you have preferred they settle it with some wads of naira and scholarship and then it's done? Be considerate. Be humane.
Re: Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault by EmeahuClifford: 3:56am On Jul 08, 2019
simonlee:

its good that his case gets as much publicity as possible. if left to the NPF, he'll be patronizing another adult toys shop by next week with fresh hoelowshows!

The National association of weed smokers (NAWS) hereby demand immediate suspension of the senator.
Those in fervor say IIIIIIIIIIIIII, those against say NAY " the I have it"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Court Halts Gov Obaseki’s Impeachment Bid Against Deputy, Philip Shuaibu / Terror Attack On Abuja Airport Foiled / Ifeanyi Ubah Dumps YPP, Joins APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.