Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,850 members, 7,813,887 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:43 PM

Hiv-positive Muppet To Star In Nigeria's 'sesame Street' - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Hiv-positive Muppet To Star In Nigeria's 'sesame Street' (843 Views)

Tiwa Savage To Star In MTV Shuga Series Season 3 / Ice-Prince To Star In 'House Of Gold' Yvonne Nelson's Movie / D'banj And Kanye West To Star In A Movie - Cruel Summer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hiv-positive Muppet To Star In Nigeria's 'sesame Street' by AloyEmeka5: 3:45am On Oct 11, 2010
[size=14pt]HIV-positive muppet to star in Nigeria's 'Sesame Street'[/size]
By George Webster for CNN
October 6, 2010 -- Updated 1208 GMT (2008 HKT)

(CNN) -- Big Bird and the Cookie Monster have some new friends, but they're a long way from "Sesame Street."
One of America's best-loved children's shows, which began life on a fictional New York street over 40 years ago, is about to land in Nigeria under the title of "Sesame Square" -- bringing with it some distinctly West African twists.
The show stars Kami, a girl muppet who is HIV-positive, has golden hair and a zest for adventure; and Kobi, an energetic, furry, blue muppet whose troublesome escapades help others learn from his mistakes.

In a country with a population of over 150 million -- where, according to the CIA World Factbook, nearly half are under the age of 14 -- the show will address some of the biggest challenges faced by young people in the region: AIDS, malaria, gender inequality, religious differences -- as well as many positive aspects of Nigerian life. In the case of Zobi, this is characterized by an obsessive love of yams -- a staple food in the Nigerian diet.

"We have a very focused health and hygiene umbrella concept area that we're concentrating on," Naila Farouky, senior director of international projects at Sesame Workshop, told CNN. "This is something our local advisors have prioritized -- something that absolutely has to be addressed on the show."
In one episode, Zobi gets tangled up in a mosquito net, much to the amusement of the local kids. But there's an important message behind the antics -- mosquito nets are the best way to prevent infection from malaria on a continent where, according to the World Health Organization, a child dies from the disease every 45 seconds.
There are also an estimated 278,000 HIV-positive children in Nigeria, according to the National Agency for Control of AIDS.
However, like its American predecessor, "Sesame Square" is not solely focused on health and social issues, but a host of essential learning skills.
Farouky told CNN, "The thread of the show continues to be about basic life skills -- literacy, numeracy and pre-school education."

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/06/sesame.street.nigeria/index.html
Re: Hiv-positive Muppet To Star In Nigeria's 'sesame Street' by Gamine(f): 4:47pm On Oct 11, 2010
I don't like the idea, If i had kids they sure wouldn't be watching this!
Re: Hiv-positive Muppet To Star In Nigeria's 'sesame Street' by Dunniah(f): 6:19pm On Oct 11, 2010
Hmn, I'm an ardent lover of sesame street but not sure nigeria can make this worth watching
Re: Hiv-positive Muppet To Star In Nigeria's 'sesame Street' by yebarbie(f): 4:38pm On Oct 13, 2010
Sesame street is one of my all time favorite programmes. I really love it. Just some days ago, I was wishing I could get my hands on the old episodes. and now this? This is sure gonna spoil it. I dont look forward to seeing it.

(1) (Reply)

What Is Your Best Series Ever / Script Buyers / Best Science Fiction Series You Have Watched

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.