Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,674 members, 7,816,770 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:46 PM

Inside The Polytechnic Ibadan Where Corruption Thrives (part I) - The ICIR - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Inside The Polytechnic Ibadan Where Corruption Thrives (part I) - The ICIR (808 Views)

“If You Touch My Private Part, I Will Tell!” Primary School Pupils Sing (Video) / Inside The Polytechnic Where Academic Corruption Thrives (part 2) But At Th / Inside The Polytechnic Where Academic Corruption Thrives (part 1&2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Inside The Polytechnic Ibadan Where Corruption Thrives (part I) - The ICIR by daniolayinka: 3:33pm On Jul 10, 2019
Aside cultism, extortion of students by the academic staffs of The Polytechnic Ibadan, Oyo state has been a major concern for a long time. But the story has been under-reported. In this part, Uthman SAMAD chronicles the corrupt practices of the academic staff of the institution revolving around extortion, sale of handouts at exorbitant prices and grade inflations amongst other rackets.

“BUYING handouts for this course is a prerequisite to passing your test, your ticket to entering for the exam. Pay to your group leader and he should bring the money to me. It’s just 1k [N1,000]”.

These were the exact words of Mr. Adio during an early morning class of National Diploma II students of the Department of Mass Communication held in a one thousand- sitter lecture theatre of Ibadan Polytechnic in Oyo state.

Though the class was noisy, Adio’s message seemed audible enough for all the students in attendance as they all chorused their approval. This reporter waded through the teeming class of students to get a copy from the lecturer.

Adio who teaches Photography and photojournalism opened the boot of his Mercedez Benz 190 to hand over a bundle of handouts to the group leaders.
This reporter tried to pay Mr. Adio directly for the handout but was told by the head of the class in a low tone that the lecturer does not collect payment from individual students.

Sale of handouts is a norm at the Polytechnic Ibadan, and the practice has never been stopped by the school authorities or the Students’ Union, despite the fact that the management never approved of it.

According to one of the Students’ Union executives who pleaded for anonymity, the exco members frown at the sale of handouts, but none of them could confront the school authorities. Even when they do, by the time the executives are given their own share, everyone keeps quiet, he added.

The Polytechnic Ibadan was, established 48 years ago in Ibadan in the old Oyo State, with satellite campuses located in neighboring towns of Saki and Eruwa.

In 2014, the two satellite campuses became full-fledged institutions and renamed The Oke-Ogun Polytechnic, Saki and the Ibarapa Polytechnic, Eruwa respectively. Since then, different management has headed these institutions independently.

The Polytechnic, Ibadan is divided into north and south campuses and comprises five faculties housing 23 departments with over 19,000 students.

Buying of handouts as safe way to pass examination

Students who failed to buy handouts shared their experience with this reporter. Salam and Aderanti (last name withheld to protect them) narrated how they were sent out of the examination hall after they failed to buy a handout for one of their courses.

Salam, an HND 1 student of Public Administration recounts his experience while sitting for one of the exams during his final exam at National Diploma level.

“I have been seeing students talking about this in other departments but I was shocked when the lecturer was using handouts he sold to students as a pass into the exam hall,” Salam said.

“I begged this man for over thirty minutes out of the two-hour exam duration, until I had to run around to get the N1,000. I didn’t even get the handout, I just paid before I could be allowed to enter.

“We had always been told in classes whenever this man came that we should submit our assignments with the handout for grading. Those of us that didn’t buy the handout, our assignments were not collected, and we did not get a grade.

“This was during my ND1 second semester. We all thought it was a joke until we saw the reality when this man asked us to show our handout for the course before we could be admitted into the exam hall. My brother, we bought it all, and when there was no more handout to sell, the lecturer collected the money and admitted us into the hall,” Aderanti recounted her experience.

Also, a Public Administration student, Kabir, narrated how the Research Methodology lecturer came into the class and announced that no student would sit for his exam or test except such students purchase the Research Methodology textbook from him, and not from elsewhere, even though the school rule says that students should buy from the school bookshop.

“The lecturer made this declaration less than 3 weeks to the exam. Why not at the beginning of the semester if truly he loves us and wanted us to pass?

“They wanted to market the book indirectly because they know that the only way to do that is to force us to buy the textbook because no one will buy it after the exam. What they later did was that they forced us to buy the textbook from them. It was even a handout, but it was branded like a textbook. Our lecturer said without buying it, we were going to fail the course.

“Everybody was scared of failure at that time. But for me, I dared him that he should go on and do his worst. I could remember we sat for the exam at the 1000-capacity hall. When we got to the exam hall, surprisingly I was checked in, but others that didn’t buy the handouts were sent out of the hall.”

ND2 students of Mass Communication also confirmed that their lecturer, Mr. Adeniran told students to submit their assignment by a week after the exam, together with handouts for grading. This assignment costs 20marks.

Mr. Bamishaye, a junior lecturer of the department of Mass Communication teaches Newspaper Editing and Production and Public Relation Media and Methods.

When this reporter visited his office, he was caught telling one of his students that each handout for his courses attracts 20 marks.

This reporter witnessed how the ‘awoof’ 20 marks are awarded. Assignment question will be written on the first page of the handout of Public Relation Media and Methods by the lecturer. This means a student that fails to buy the handout will not be able to get the assignment question nor has the submission ‘grace’.

An investigation conducted across five departments of the institution confirmed this practice to be a norm.

Investigation also shows that handouts are sold between N800 and N1, 500, and a student spends an average of N12, 000 on handouts in a semester, student sources told the reporter. And some of these mass- produced handouts are printed without reference pages or ISBN, but nobody cares. In an internal memorandum dated 25th of March 2019 with reference number AAO/BOS/ITSC/vol.11/130 signed by one Mrs. Agboola, the secretary of the Textbook Standardization Committee and sent to the rector through the chairman of the committee titled “Ban on sales of Handout and unauthorized Textbooks”, the institution prohibited the sale of handouts and textbooks.

It was also noted the approved textbooks by this committee should only be made available at the school bookshops and on no account should it be found anywhere else. The circular also shows that any staff that contravenes these rules and regulations will be sanctioned appropriately by the management of the institution as no student should be forced to buy any handout or textbooks.

But this is a good policy on paper because no lecturer has been sanctioned on account of handout sales, the students said.

Meet Ajao, the “Contractor”

Ajao, as popularly called by students, is a Mass Communication ND2 student of the Polytechnic. He is also the Public Relations Officer 2 of the student union, and popular among student especially for connection with lecturers across various departments.

This reporter met with Ajao and asked him whether he could help speak to a lecturer to upgrade his result in a computer course. The latter agreed and gave his number for future communication. Three days after, when this reporter called, he advised that the reporter should speak to the lecturer directly.

“Go and meet the woman, she is a close paddy, she said everyone should be coming to her.

“You will just buy the handbook we bought last semester again and you get your pass straight – abi wetin you want again?” Ajao said.

At the end of the discussion, Ajao promised to always help if the reporter runs into trouble with any of course in as much as he always cooperates.

How students pay for grade

On a Wednesday afternoon in June, this reporter joined a long queue of students who had problem with “Introduction to Computing”- a general course from the Department of Computer Science. The issues range from missing exam scores to omission of test scores.

“I have been here since 10 a.m., I don’t know those of us that have problem with this course are many,” a female student who was later referred to as Muibat by a colleague commented.

“You tell her your problem, you pay for the workbook and she pens down your name,” another student explained to her what to do when she is in Mrs. Ganiyu’s office.

Muibat was happy about the tip until she heard it would cost her double the amount paid for the same workbook. “I only have N200 with me now! I have been warned not to come home for this week again, I don’t know what to do right now,” Muibat lamented.

Hours later, the lecturer came out to say she would no longer attend to students by 2 pm. “Now you will have to take numbers. Only 15 persons will be allowed, the remaining will come tomorrow,” she said.

Without any means of identification, this reporter was counted as the number 7th person on the queue. When called in, “check your name on the list,” Mrs. Ganiyu instructed.

After two minutes checking for nothing in the list, the reporter told Mrs. Ganiyu that he couldn’t find his name. She then told the reporter to write his name with his matriculation number and pay to a lady by the corner in her office who was busy playing Bubble game on her Hot6 phone.

After writing a pseudo name and matric number, the reporter gave the lady by the door N500 as instructed by Mrs Ganiyu and collected a workbook. The 10-page practical handbook was sold N350 earlier in the semester.

A female student was also made to pay N500 to the woman by the office corner before she was given a workbook.

No Receipt, No File Submission

This is a popular phrase by the students of Poly Ibadan. Checks by this newspaper show that students are not allowed to submit registration form each semester until dues are paid in full.

Though school management has never made the payment of dues compulsory, students’ files will not be collected for submission except it contains all the receipts for the payment. This reporter observed the registration process and confirmed that forms are compulsorily submitted with receipts for various association dues.

Section 40 of the 1999 Nigerian Constitution as amended states that membership of association and groups should be voluntarily and not by force as in accordance with the fundamental human rights.

[img]https://i2.wp.com/www.icirnigeria.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/List.jpg?w=375&ssl=1[\img]

The mandatory payment of fees and compulsory inclusion of association due proof of payment is, therefore, a breach of the constitutional provision.

A source confirmed to this paper that associations send part of their collection to the school management. “Don’t sweat on that. Even when I was here years ago, as a student, the system was like that. From a long time, there is these returns associations pay on accrued money to the management purse that’s why they continue to make It compulsory for students who want to submit his/her file,” the source said.

During submission hours at the Department of Mass Communication, this reporter was able to witness how the officer in charge emphasized the need for students to include all the listed receipts in their file.
Read More
https://www.icirnigeria.org/inside-the-polytechnic-ibadan-where-corruption-thrives-part-i/
Re: Inside The Polytechnic Ibadan Where Corruption Thrives (part I) - The ICIR by fergie001: 3:35pm On Jul 10, 2019
Hahahahahahaha.......have a friend there in SLT...

Extortion no be here.......
But I don't think it's exclusive to IB Poly, many other institutions esp Polys and CoEs involve in this......

Very bad and condemnable....
Re: Inside The Polytechnic Ibadan Where Corruption Thrives (part I) - The ICIR by lastmessenger: 3:57pm On Jul 10, 2019
A lot of poly are like this. The discrimination against poly actually starts from the school.
I studied in a polytechnic but I won't allow my enemy to study in a poly
Re: Inside The Polytechnic Ibadan Where Corruption Thrives (part I) - The ICIR by Toluabigr8(m): 5:35pm On Jul 10, 2019
ise l'ogun ise !!!! polyibadan where breathing lasan will cost you money
Re: Inside The Polytechnic Ibadan Where Corruption Thrives (part I) - The ICIR by Rextizz(m): 5:50pm On Jul 10, 2019
Shithole
Re: Inside The Polytechnic Ibadan Where Corruption Thrives (part I) - The ICIR by jchioma: 7:14pm On Jul 10, 2019
90 percent of tertiary institutions in Nigeria are guilty of this offense. It's become a revenue generating tool to extort hapless students and cannot not be stopped, because even the economic situation has not helped matters.

(1) (Reply)

EXPOSED: Shocking Exploitation Of Parents At Caleb British International School / Jamb 2020 Update On Nin( Very Important) / Emmanuel Erim Launches Microskool In University Of Calabar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.