Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,769 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

Can A 24kw Single Phase Diesel Generator Power 12kw Electric Baking Oven? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can A 24kw Single Phase Diesel Generator Power 12kw Electric Baking Oven? (990 Views)

Single Phase Prepaid Meter For Sale / Baking Oven For Sale / Baking Oven For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A 24kw Single Phase Diesel Generator Power 12kw Electric Baking Oven? by edoman2016: 11:10am On Jul 13, 2019
Please can a 24kw single phase diesel generator power a 12kw electric baking oven comfortably?
I need to know from anyone that have an idea about it.
Re: Can A 24kw Single Phase Diesel Generator Power 12kw Electric Baking Oven? by nosiebaba(m): 12:05pm On Jul 13, 2019
Yes.. Since its not an inductive load the starting power and the full load power is the same.
Re: Can A 24kw Single Phase Diesel Generator Power 12kw Electric Baking Oven? by edoman2016: 12:44pm On Jul 13, 2019
nosiebaba:
Yes.. Since its not an inductive load the starting power and the full load power is the same.
Thanks for your reply. I noticed when we switched on the diesel generator, it powered the 12kw electric baking oven. But the brand new generator was bringing out black smoke. My concern is that can the generator power the electric oven continually without destroying/depreciating the generator quickly? Or the black smoke the generator bring out when we switched on the 12kw electric baking oven is normal due to the load?
Re: Can A 24kw Single Phase Diesel Generator Power 12kw Electric Baking Oven? by nosiebaba(m): 12:55pm On Jul 13, 2019
edoman2016:

Thanks for your reply. I noticed when we switched on the diesel generator, it powered the 12kw electric baking oven. But the brand new generator was bringing out black smoke. My concern is that can the generator power the electric oven continually without destroying/depreciating the generator quickly? Or the black smoke the generator bring out when we switched on the 12kw electric baking oven is normal due to the load?
The smoke is produced due to the sudden introduction of high load.
Introduction of such load about 50% of its total capacity would normally cause the speed of the engine to drop but the speed governor notices this and acts appropriately by opening the valves to allow more fuel into the cylinder. Since the governor is a mechanical device it might allow slightly more fuel within the first few seconds but this balances out.
Re: Can A 24kw Single Phase Diesel Generator Power 12kw Electric Baking Oven? by edoman2016: 3:29pm On Jul 13, 2019
nosiebaba:

The smoke is produced due to the sudden introduction of high load.
Introduction of such load about 50% of its total capacity would normally cause the speed of the engine to drop but the speed governor notices this and acts appropriately by opening the valves to allow more fuel into the cylinder. Since the governor is a mechanical device it might allow slightly more fuel within the first few seconds but this balances out.
Bravo. In fact, what happens with the generator is exactly what you just described. That means I should rest my mind. That the generator won't have problem powering the 12kw electric oven for long hours, right?
Re: Can A 24kw Single Phase Diesel Generator Power 12kw Electric Baking Oven? by nosiebaba(m): 3:45pm On Jul 13, 2019
edoman2016:

Bravo. In fact, what happens with the generator is exactly what you just described. That means I should rest my mind. That the generator won't have problem powering the 12kw electric oven for long hours, right?
yes but have in mind that if your generator is 24kva then you need to look for the power factor which is between 0.9 and 0.8 let's assume its 0.8 then the generators power rating is 0.8 x 24kVA= 19.2kw which is sufficient for a 12kw resistive load such as your oven. Also take into account other loads you have connected to the same gen
Re: Can A 24kw Single Phase Diesel Generator Power 12kw Electric Baking Oven? by Paulo3ree(m): 4:42pm On Jul 13, 2019
@nosiebaba

Re: Can A 24kw Single Phase Diesel Generator Power 12kw Electric Baking Oven? by nosiebaba(m): 5:06pm On Jul 13, 2019
Paulo3ree:
@nosiebaba
who be this grin

1 Like

Re: Can A 24kw Single Phase Diesel Generator Power 12kw Electric Baking Oven? by Paulo3ree(m): 5:08pm On Jul 13, 2019
nosiebaba:
who be this grin
How come the knowledge?
Re: Can A 24kw Single Phase Diesel Generator Power 12kw Electric Baking Oven? by nosiebaba(m): 6:16pm On Jul 13, 2019
Paulo3ree:

How come the knowledge?
Guess
Re: Can A 24kw Single Phase Diesel Generator Power 12kw Electric Baking Oven? by Paulo3ree(m): 6:18pm On Jul 13, 2019
nosiebaba:

Guess
Elect. Tech/Elect. Engr.
Re: Can A 24kw Single Phase Diesel Generator Power 12kw Electric Baking Oven? by nosiebaba(m): 6:21pm On Jul 13, 2019
Paulo3ree:

Elect. Tech/Elect. Engr.
You too much
Re: Can A 24kw Single Phase Diesel Generator Power 12kw Electric Baking Oven? by nosiebaba(m): 6:22pm On Jul 13, 2019
Paulo3ree:

How come the knowledge?
Feel free to correct me tho
Re: Can A 24kw Single Phase Diesel Generator Power 12kw Electric Baking Oven? by casydigital(m): 6:41pm On Jul 13, 2019
nosiebaba:
yes but have in mind that if your generator is 24kva then you need to look for the power factor which is between 0.9 and 0.8 let's assume its 0.8 then the generators power rating is 0.8 x 24kVA= 19.2kw which is sufficient for a 12kw resistive load such as your oven. Also take into account other loads you have connected to the same gen
you go school

Re: Can A 24kw Single Phase Diesel Generator Power 12kw Electric Baking Oven? by Paulo3ree(m): 6:43pm On Jul 13, 2019
nosiebaba:

Feel free to correct me tho
Don't see what to correct
The real power is what is required to know if it could maintain the oven on a steady state, from your deduction it simply can. The gen too can handle load of up to 70% without much worries

1 Like

Re: Can A 24kw Single Phase Diesel Generator Power 12kw Electric Baking Oven? by nosiebaba(m): 8:15pm On Jul 13, 2019
Paulo3ree:

Don't see what to correct
The real power is what is required to know if it could maintain the oven on a steady state, from your deduction it simply can. The gen too can handle load of up to 70% without much worries
Confirm, my fellow NSE member
Re: Can A 24kw Single Phase Diesel Generator Power 12kw Electric Baking Oven? by Paulo3ree(m): 8:35pm On Jul 13, 2019
nosiebaba:

Confirm, my fellow NSE member
Leave me alone oooh!
Anyways you could check on my post and comment their too!
Hope to see yah soon
Re: Can A 24kw Single Phase Diesel Generator Power 12kw Electric Baking Oven? by nosiebaba(m): 9:29pm On Jul 13, 2019
Paulo3ree:

Leave me alone oooh!
Anyways you could check on my post and comment their too!
Hope to see yah soon
No shakes
Re: Can A 24kw Single Phase Diesel Generator Power 12kw Electric Baking Oven? by Paulo3ree(m): 10:00pm On Jul 13, 2019
nosiebaba:

No shakes
Sure
Waiting for your write ups though
Re: Can A 24kw Single Phase Diesel Generator Power 12kw Electric Baking Oven? by Ajakaiye83: 10:08pm On Jul 13, 2019
nosiebaba:

Thought the load is inductive.

Can you throw more light on inductive,resistive and capacitive loads?
Thanks
Re: Can A 24kw Single Phase Diesel Generator Power 12kw Electric Baking Oven? by nosiebaba(m): 10:43pm On Jul 13, 2019
Ajakaiye83:

Thought the load is inductive.

Can you throw more light on inductive,resistive and capacitive loads?
Thanks
Inductive loads are loads that have windings or coils, like fan, ac compressors, refridgerators(they have compressors also), pumping machines. Etc They generate magnetic field and the xtics of these loads is that their starting current is higher than their running current. Sometimes it can be up to 3 times the normal running current. That's why when you put on your ac or fridge or pump there is a sudden flunctuation in the voltage.
Resistive load is a load that converts current to heat eg electric heaters, pressing iron, filament bulbs.

In capacitive load, current and voltage are out of phase as with an inductive load. The difference is that in the case of a capacitive load, the current reaches its maximum value before the voltage does. The current waveform leads the voltage waveform, but in an inductive load, the current waveform lags it.

In engineering, capacitive loads do not exist in a stand-alone format. No devices are classified as capacitive in the way lightbulbs are categorized as resistive, and air conditioners are labeled inductive. Capacitors in large circuits are useful, however, in controlling power use. They are often included at electrical substations to improve the overall "power factor" of the system. Inductive loads increase the cost of a given power system and reduce the amount of power that is converted to another form of energy. Capacitors are installed to offset this drain.

2 Likes

Re: Can A 24kw Single Phase Diesel Generator Power 12kw Electric Baking Oven? by Ajakaiye83: 9:12pm On Jul 14, 2019
nosiebaba:

Inductive loads are loads that have windings or coils, like fan, ac compressors, refridgerators(they have compressors also), pumping machines. Etc They generate magnetic field and the xtics of these loads is that their starting current is higher than their running current. Sometimes it can be up to 3 times the normal running current. That's why when you put on your ac or fridge or pump there is a sudden flunctuation in the voltage.
Resistive load is a load that converts current to heat eg electric heaters, pressing iron, filament bulbs.

In capacitive load, current and voltage are out of phase as with an inductive load. The difference is that in the case of a capacitive load, the current reaches its maximum value before the voltage does. The current waveform leads the voltage waveform, but in an inductive load, the current waveform lags it.

In engineering, capacitive loads do not exist in a stand-alone format. No devices are classified as capacitive in the way lightbulbs are categorized as resistive, and air conditioners are labeled inductive. Capacitors in large circuits are useful, however, in controlling power use. They are often included at electrical substations to improve the overall "power factor" of the system. Inductive loads increase the cost of a given power system and reduce the amount of power that is converted to another form of energy. Capacitors are installed to offset this drain.

Thank you for the short lecture.

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 African Countries Good For Starting A Business / Learn How To Lower Your Facebook Ad cost with (Picture proof) / Wholesale Price Only

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.