Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,081 members, 7,818,238 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:58 AM

"30 Days In Abuja"- Akin Alabi Talks Abou His Allowances And Achievements So Far - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "30 Days In Abuja"- Akin Alabi Talks Abou His Allowances And Achievements So Far (1219 Views)

NASS Workers Protest Over Unpaid Allowances And Arrears, Block NASS Gate / Governor Akeredolu's Projects And Achievements In Ondo State (photos) / Ihedioha’s 30 Days As Imo Governor: 16 Achievements So Far. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"30 Days In Abuja"- Akin Alabi Talks Abou His Allowances And Achievements So Far by Jaymaxxy(m): 12:41pm On Jul 13, 2019
As I stepped into the Chambers of the House of Representatives, National Assembly Complex, Abuja on the 11th day of June, 2019 for my inauguration, I looked back at years of campaigning and I was super thankful that I eventually got elected to represent the good people of Egbeda/Ona-Ara Federal Constituency.

I said eventually, because this is my second attempt. I lost the elections in 2015 but I came back stronger in 2019 as I and 8 other candidates of the All Progressives Congress won our elections. Oyo state is made up of 14 Federal Constituencies.

Today makes it a month since I got sworn in. It has been a great experience for me and I am looking forward to the next 47 months.

Allow me to summarize my experience in the last 30 days because I don’t want to make this article too long. People don’t like reading long articles.

Firstly, lets talk about the Speakership of the House

I voted for Hon Femi Gbajabiamila and there was no doubt about where my loyalty was. Firstly, our party, the All Progressives Congress (APC) had endorsed him. I am a party man to the core and I subscribe to the ideology of party supremacy. Party first. Party before candidature. The party leadership (the President, the National Chairman, the National Working Committee, the Governors etc) had endorsed Hon Gbajabiamila so I towed the party line.

Apart from that, I believe he is the most capable and experienced out of all those that showed interest. He has been in the House since 2003 making this his 5th term. He has served as the minority leader. He has served as the majority leader. He is the perfect legislator to lead the 9th House of Representatives.

Then lastly, I personally know Uncle Femi as I call him outside politics. I’ve known him for a few years. He is a gentleman to the core. A fair very man. I knew I would vote for him even before I decided to contest for elections. I am confident he will make a great Speaker.

My activities on the Floor

Today’s seating makes it the 7th in the 9th House of Representatives. A few bills have been read (first reading) and quite a few motions have been moved. I have finalized and submitted 3 motions and 3 bills to the relevant committees. Upon approval, I will be called upon to present and argue them. I will post the details here when that happens.[b][/b]

In the meantime, I have contributed to other motions being debated on the floor. This is just the beginning as I am still learning the ropes.

Life in Abuja

Abuja is a bit expensive. I am not surprised. I didn’t expect less. I have been living in hotels. The kind of house I want to live in and the area I want to live in seems to be out of my budget. I don’t want to buy a house in Abuja yet, if I ever will.

I am looking for a fully detached house with my own compound. I don’t want to live in a place where we have to share facilities. I like to be alone so when 50 people come to spend time with me from my constituency, no alakowe will come and meet me that we are making noise. lol

In Maitama where I looked for such houses, the prices were over the top. Twelve Million Naira. Fifteen Million Naira were being brandished. I ran away. lol. I’ve changed location to places like Katampe and Life camp. Now I’m humble. Why wouldn’t I? The housing allowance provided by the National Assembly is not enough to rent what I want. I still have the option of staying in Maitama if I go for an apartment where I will share facilities. That should be cheaper.

Which brings me to the issue of money. If you are looking to come and make BIG money at the National Assembly LEGALLY, please forget about the idea. A lot of people end their tenures here worse off than they were when they came in.

Anyway, talking about the allowance, for both Housing and Furniture, I got (N3,970,00 plus N7,940,00). I am told I will get it ONLY ONCE in 4 years. You see why I have become humble? lol.

I’m told we would get a car loan of about N7m and I’m told after 4 years, we will get N5m as severance. You can call that your gratuity or retirement benefit. In a nutshell, the total a lawmaker will be getting at the national assembly, plus salaries (basic salary is N700k), plus housing and furniture allowances, plus newspaper allowance, plus retirement benefit, plus EVERYTHING will average out to about N9m monthly in TOTAL. Nothing extra.

With the gigantic promises I made back home, the entire earnings will will have to go to my people and I will probably have to dip into my personal savings and investments. Make name no go spoil. lol

People talk about constituency projects. No! Lawmakers do not get paid money for constituency projects. You “nominate” projects for your constituency and the relevant agencies will execute them. If you are coming to the National Assembly to get rich, it is either you are deluding yourself or you are planning to do something illegal.

And I don’t plan to do anything illegal.

The interesting thing is that the information about the salaries and allowances of lawmakers is readily available at The Revenue Mobilization, Allocation and Fiscal Commission (RMFAC). I asked a journalist working for a major newspaper why his paper has not published the true breakdown.

His reply: The Truth Is Not Sensational Enough!

My Constituency

The day after my inauguration, I flew to Ibadan to throw a celebration party for the residents of my constituency, Egbeda/Ona-Ara. I flew back to Abuja the next day to attend plenary. My intention is to stay close to my people. The support they gave me during the campaign and election was enormous and I plan to keep my campaign promises.

The women were a vital part of my campaign and my first empowerment initiative is directed towards them. We have earmarked ₦250m to empower them in terms of loans and grants, training, health care support and more. This will be spread over 4 years so I can conveniently raise the money.

This is just the beginning

http://www.akinalabi.com/30-days-in-abuja/

Lalasticlala

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "30 Days In Abuja"- Akin Alabi Talks Abou His Allowances And Achievements So Far by TIGRITIS: 12:49pm On Jul 13, 2019
Alabi will deliver, though it may not be strictly as it is written here.

Pretty sure his constituency will not regret voting him.
Re: "30 Days In Abuja"- Akin Alabi Talks Abou His Allowances And Achievements So Far by will2lead(m): 12:49pm On Jul 13, 2019
Use the right kind of mouse for the right kind of job

Re: "30 Days In Abuja"- Akin Alabi Talks Abou His Allowances And Achievements So Far by verygudbadguy(m): 1:03pm On Jul 13, 2019
The kind of leader I have been hoping for. He got there just 30 days ago and he has been able to state categorically the basic salary and allowances all other lawmakers have been hiding for years.

I pray he lives up to full expectations because this was how I tripped for Okorocha and his philanthropic moves. But he ended up being an average Nigerian leader with stupid imposition of his son in law as against his people's wish and statue building as if his life depended on it.

All the best, Ogbeni Akin. Remember to keep to your words.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "30 Days In Abuja"- Akin Alabi Talks Abou His Allowances And Achievements So Far by emerich(m): 1:04pm On Jul 13, 2019
A very brilliant piece...
Re: "30 Days In Abuja"- Akin Alabi Talks Abou His Allowances And Achievements So Far by Jaymaxxy(m): 1:06pm On Jul 13, 2019
Akin means business
Re: "30 Days In Abuja"- Akin Alabi Talks Abou His Allowances And Achievements So Far by obi4eze(m): 1:14pm On Jul 13, 2019
angry
Re: "30 Days In Abuja"- Akin Alabi Talks Abou His Allowances And Achievements So Far by Born2Breed(f): 1:20pm On Jul 13, 2019
If all could be this bit transparent.
Re: "30 Days In Abuja"- Akin Alabi Talks Abou His Allowances And Achievements So Far by Tyche(m): 1:23pm On Jul 13, 2019
Way to go
Re: "30 Days In Abuja"- Akin Alabi Talks Abou His Allowances And Achievements So Far by Jorussia(m): 1:24pm On Jul 13, 2019
.A member of house of Representatives gets around #120million per annum.They usually become very rich through bribe and influencing contractors for their constituency projects.
Re: "30 Days In Abuja"- Akin Alabi Talks Abou His Allowances And Achievements So Far by ivolt: 1:38pm On Jul 13, 2019
You should have provided details about the bills.
I hope is not about gambling licensing.
Re: "30 Days In Abuja"- Akin Alabi Talks Abou His Allowances And Achievements So Far by ivolt: 1:39pm On Jul 13, 2019
verygudbadguy:
The kind of leader I have been hoping for. He got there just 30 days ago and he has been able to state categorically the basic salary and allowances all other lawmakers have been hiding for years.

I pray he lives up to full expectations because this was how I tripped for Okorocha and his philanthropic moves. But he ended up being an average Nigerian leader with stupid imposition of his son in law as against his people's wish and statue building as if his life depended on it.

All the best, Ogbeni Akin. Remember to keep to your words.

I expect him to move a motion to slash lawmakers salary to less than 500K a month.
Anything less, he is no different from the other.

2 Likes

Re: "30 Days In Abuja"- Akin Alabi Talks Abou His Allowances And Achievements So Far by Jaymaxxy(m): 2:33pm On Jul 13, 2019
ivolt:

I expect him to move a motion to slash lawmakers salary to less than 500K a month.
Anything less, he is no different from the other.

Even if he suggests that, very few members would support him.
Re: "30 Days In Abuja"- Akin Alabi Talks Abou His Allowances And Achievements So Far by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jul 13, 2019
I smell lies. This one is already using style to tell people no money so nobody will be looking for him again

1 Like

Re: "30 Days In Abuja"- Akin Alabi Talks Abou His Allowances And Achievements So Far by Unigrad: 4:27pm On Jul 13, 2019
Jaymaxxy:

None will support him, he will rather be an enemy to all. 98-99% of them when there for the money, connections and fame.
Re: "30 Days In Abuja"- Akin Alabi Talks Abou His Allowances And Achievements So Far by ivolt: 6:38pm On Jul 13, 2019
Jaymaxxy:

Let him try!
Re: "30 Days In Abuja"- Akin Alabi Talks Abou His Allowances And Achievements So Far by FarahAideed: 6:58pm On Jul 13, 2019
Buckubuck:
I smell lies. This one is already using style to tell people no money so nobody will be looking for him again

It's actually 9 million monthly he is telling the truth ai have 2 very very close pals that are now a members so now I know the truth .
Re: "30 Days In Abuja"- Akin Alabi Talks Abou His Allowances And Achievements So Far by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jul 13, 2019
FarahAideed:

It's actually 9 million monthly he is telling the truth ai have 2 very very close pals that are now a members so now I know the truth .
9m monthly seems like a lot to me if you ask me. This idea of special salary for public servants which is very oddly different from that of civil servants is one of the reasons why our politics is very toxic
Re: "30 Days In Abuja"- Akin Alabi Talks Abou His Allowances And Achievements So Far by FarahAideed: 8:08pm On Jul 13, 2019
Buckubuck:

9m monthly seems like a lot to me if you ask me. This idea of special salary for public servants which is very oddly different from that of civil servants is one of the reasons why our politics is very toxic

Both my pals are fresher's and to them the 9 million a month is not enough to recoup what they spent to get elected baring in mind they both plan to spend about 5 million each on their constituencies to give them a shot at coming back next election . So they are both fighting tooth and nail to get into juicy commitees which is the only way their investments can be rewarding well

(1) (Reply)

Sallah: Lovely Photo Of President Buhari And His Children / Nigerians React As DSS Charges Sowore For ‘insulting Buhari’ / No Need For An Airport In Ekiti – Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.