Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,136 members, 7,821,882 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? (3170 Views)

Photo: See The Lagos Taxi Driver That Uses POS / Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by LouisThoru(f): 12:55pm On Oct 12, 2010
Please share, but for me, i think the projects are elitist and has no plan for the poor. What of housing for the poor? The ones who live in the dump? What plans to get them out? What about the un employed people? The BBC did a big expose on them, yet, we are not crying on the state government to do better, but we can cry on the northern governors concerning the almajeris. How many poor people will ride on the roads? How many poor people will live in the new cities, oh, save me joo.

Provide food, because the people are hungry and killing themselves for food.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by JoyIsa: 1:16pm On Oct 12, 2010
Yemmy B. Alabi and other philanthropists can help them. Let government tackle more important issues.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by LouisThoru(f): 1:45pm On Oct 12, 2010
^^^^

Thank you for saying exactly that. I know you hate him and want him dead, he knows also. Bitterness is the mother of suicide.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by AjanleKoko: 2:06pm On Oct 12, 2010
LouisThoru:

Please share, but for me, i think the projects are elitist and has no plan for the poor. What of housing for the poor? The ones who live in the dump? What plans to get them out? What about the un employed people? The BBC did a big expose on them, yet, we are not crying on the state government to do better, but we can cry on the northern governors concerning the almajeris. How many poor people will ride on the roads? How many poor people will live in the new cities, oh, save me joo.

Provide food, because the people are hungry and killing themselves for food.

Well, the hordes of LASTMA officials, street cleaners, labourers and whatnot at least have a job from those projects.
It's impossible to roll out major infrastructure road and rail projects without providing jobs for people. First priority for poor people in Lagos is income. As far as infrastructure goes, accessibility and power projects should rank higher than housing projects. If there are good roads and a good transportation system, it'll impact the overall cost of housing, new areas will open up, and new developments would be more rapid.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by revolt(m): 2:32pm On Oct 12, 2010
This is a question I've been waitin for because I feel fashola runs the state like a company and not like a govt. Too many obnoxious policies for enterpreneurs
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by beautyline(f): 3:03pm On Oct 12, 2010
Even the churches are not doing anything for the poor. The best bet is not to be poor in the first place. The poor have no advocate.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by lannre(m): 3:19pm On Oct 12, 2010
the hawkers that are picked into black maria without alternative job , the Doctors strike is two months old, only those who have lost relatives and close one can tell more. quality of any good tax is affordability, asking a barber to register with 8,500 before paying for stipulated amount for advert is no good tax. I don't why Nigerians will praise any politician for performing what they are voted for. have we all turn our rights to privilege ? water for flowers ,none for human being.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Kobojunkie: 3:30pm On Oct 12, 2010
JoyIsa:

Yemmy B. Alabi and other philanthropists can help them. Let government tackle more important issues.

Because it is Yemmy B. Alabi's job to do so? Because the resources used by the philanthropists in question come from the sky for this purpose?  It is no longer the Government's job to ensure ALL People's basic needs are met in the state which in question? The needs of this portion of the society are not IMPORTANT issues?
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by phantom(m): 3:48pm On Oct 12, 2010
what do you want?that he sits the poor on his lap and spoon feed them?
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Kobojunkie: 3:50pm On Oct 12, 2010
^^^ In your understanding, that is what Government does with the poor and unemployed in the society?
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by phantom(m): 4:21pm On Oct 12, 2010
kobo,this topic question is tad bit unfair dont you think?for a state of 18mill(with a productive population of about 10%) with infrastructure meant for 1mill or at the most 5mill,the governor cant do much.Hell,obama might not do better.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Kobojunkie: 4:27pm On Oct 12, 2010
Nope . . . I am sorry but I don't buy into that unfair angle of yours. Would you be willing to offer up the same excuse for why Yar adua's government failed to institute serious changes in the country as a whole? I mean we are speaking of a country with over 145 million people( a productive population of about 10% as well) and seriously limited resources. Hey!! if we are throwing around excuses such as the one you have there, then we might as swell apply it to all since most all states suffer from the same conditions you mentioned, even though the actual population differs.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by faoni572(m): 4:41pm On Oct 12, 2010
beautyline:

Even the churches are not doing anything for the poor. The best bet is not to be poor in the first place. The poor have no advocate.

Honestly I like your response
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by phantom(m): 4:49pm On Oct 12, 2010
fine,i know you belong to the 'why praise a gov,when hes doing what he should do'club.i belong to that club too but seriously,what is the basis for comparing fasholas govt to yardies?the drive for good governance was obviously lacking in the latter.look at the topic again and tell me if it doesnt smack of mischief.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Kobojunkie: 4:55pm On Oct 12, 2010
phantom:

fine,i know you belong to the 'why praise a gov,when hes doing what he should do'club.i belong to that club too but seriously,what is the basis for comparing fasholas govt to yardies?the drive for good governance was obviously lacking in the latter.look at the topic again and tell me if it doesnt smack of mischief. 

Did I compare him? I simply meant to show you how ridiculous YOUR OWN excuse was when applied to government, no matter which. Or are you saying we ought to only apply that excuse when the government is 'trying'. The topic DOES NOT SMACK of MISCHIEF. If you have a thing against the @Poster, maybe, but the topic itself is legit. We are here in the united states asking similar questions of our government, why can't we do same for governors in Nigeria? Or the Lagos governor in this case?
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by phantom(m): 5:05pm On Oct 12, 2010
wow so the roads,hospitals with freehealthcare,and schools are just for the elite?plus it took aliens to put these infrastructure on ground? i dont understand your arguement.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Kobojunkie: 5:06pm On Oct 12, 2010
phantom:

wow so the roads,hospitals with freehealthcare,and schools are just for the elite?plus it took aliens to put these infrastructure on ground? i dont understand your arguement.

Is that your answer to the question . . . How are the Lagos Government projects helping the poor and unemployed?

Just so you know, we also have roads, hospitals, healthcare, schools etc here in the states, yet that question is being asked even more today than ever.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by AjanleKoko: 5:12pm On Oct 12, 2010
The best way to help the poor and unemployed is to raise the economic viability of the state. To some extent, those projects do help. Of course, it's still scratching the surface, but look at it this way. These guys have rolled out mass transit (BRT), they're building major tolled highways and link bridges, a mass transit rail system, independent power generation projects, upgrading  and access roads, a new airport, a new seaport, and a free trade zone. These projects create jobs, as well as new economic opportunities, anyhow you want to look at it.

Is this the best way it could have been done? Well, it depends on who's asking. For me, well, it's a start. We're definitely a long way from social infrastructure in Nigeria, but let's see.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by phantom(m): 5:22pm On Oct 12, 2010
lol, and i thought you were serious all this while.you are really good at being sarcastic.i had a really good laugh.lol
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Kobojunkie: 5:25pm On Oct 12, 2010
phantom:

lol, and i thought you were serious all this while.you are really good at being sarcastic.i had a really good laugh.lol

I am not being sarcastic in any way. I am simply wanting to know what you are getting at here.  The question is a very good one. Problem is I don't understand why you feel the need to defend the government in this when there are millions of poor lagoscians out there who could potentially benefit from answers to this.

I don't know if you are in the united states but if you are, I bet you will understand why similar questions are asked here daily and what the information obtained means to so many out there today. So many Governors across the country have had to improve spending on programs to benefit the poor and unemployed directly and indirectly, as well. And yes, these governors have other things on their plates but still they know this to be just as important.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Oct 12, 2010
AjanleKoko:

The best way to help the poor and unemployed is to raise the economic viability of the state. To some extent, those projects do help. Of course, it's still scratching the surface, but look at it this way. These guys have rolled out mass transit (BRT), they're building major tolled highways and link bridges, a mass transit rail system, independent power generation projects, upgrading  and access roads, a new airport, a new seaport, and a free trade zone. These projects create jobs, as well as new economic opportunities, anyhow you want to look at it.

Good points although I would prefer most of these projects to be private sector initiatives as opposed to the Lagos State Government trying to be a jack of all trades.
Lagosians have a right to be wary about a regime that seems to unduly favour the contractor class as opposed to the ordinary residents

A more topical issue is that the regime has to muster the courage to arrest and cage the area boys who should not be classified with other unemployed or poor but simply as elements of the rent-seeker class.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by LouisThoru(f): 6:53pm On Oct 12, 2010
Apart from Jakande and Mudashiru who both as governors built thousands of housing units called low income and medium income estates for the housing needs of the low cadre people, which governor has come to one percent close to that to help the poor? Rather, what most governors built had been for the rich alone, why? Look, it is no offence to be rich, but to be poor and nobody cares about you, is sure something to worry about.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Oct 12, 2010
^^Well I don't think government acting as a property developer is quite the way to solve the housing problem. Indeed previous housing developments if and when completed have ended up being occupied by the middle and upper classes who could already afford private sector housing!

No the government should concentrate on more basic matters like security and law and order as well as environmental sanitation and leave things like housing to the experienced hard-nosed businessmen in the private sector.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Mariory(m): 7:36pm On Oct 12, 2010
LouisThoru:

Apart from Jakande and Mudashiru who both as governors built thousands of housing units called low income and medium income estates for the housing needs of the low cadre people, which governor has come to one percent close to that to help the poor? Rather, what most governors built had been for the rich alone, why? Look, it is no offence to be rich, but to be poor and nobody cares about you, is sure something to worry about.

Can you please explain to me how building schools are for the rich.
Can you please explain to me how expanding a state standard bus transport system (BRT) to serve most of Lagos is for the rich
Can you please explain to me how developing a light rail inter city system is for the rich
Can you please explain to me how building and upgrading health care facilities is for the rich
Can you please expalin to me how improving justice institutions is for the rich
Can you please explain to me how providing free healthcare is for the rich
Can you please explain to me how providing an exchange program (with foreign educational establishments) for brilliant young Lagosians is for the rich
Can you please explain to me how developing power projects is for the rich.
Can you please explain to me howensuring environmental sanitation is for the rich.
Can you please explain to me how providing a water based transport system is for the rich.

Let us both explore why you think this developments are for the rich. Then we can begin to consider that maybe you have a point.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by LouisThoru(f): 7:43pm On Oct 12, 2010
@MAriory

You will do well to answer the main question first, before bringing in yours.

It is failure in an exam when you are asked a question and instead of answering, you ask the teacher questions in return.

The question in this thread remains: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed?

You can start your own thread asking it the way round.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Mariory(m): 7:46pm On Oct 12, 2010
LouisThoru:

@MAriory

You will do well to answer the main question first, before bringing in yours.

It is failure in an exam when you are asked a question and instead of answering, you ask the teacher questions in return.

The question in this thread remains: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed?

So in all the questions I asked you, you couldn't see projects that "will help the poor and unemployed" as you put it? If you couldn't see that, then there is no point.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Kobojunkie: 7:48pm On Oct 12, 2010
^^^
LouisThoru:

@MAriory

You will do well to answer the main question first, before bringing in your[/b]s.

[b][size=13pt]The question in this thread remains: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed?[/size]

Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by ochocinco1(m): 7:58pm On Oct 12, 2010
Ajanlekoko has provided an adequate answer. . .

That the government should provide housing in its present financial state
is not only shortsighted but stupid as well.

A better critique of the Fashola government would centre around their failure
to tackle the traffic gridlock that still chokes the state, slow pace
in providing infrastructure and the cost of running the government.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Kobojunkie: 8:03pm On Oct 12, 2010
ocho cinco:

is not only shortsighted but silly as well.

The government is ACTUALLY ALREADY involved in providing housing, even in its present financial state. . .  From what you have above, we can conclude then that the government is short-sighted for considering that an issue of importance, even at this time, right?

In a country where there is a great need for housing( I believe the estimate was for at least 100's of thousands more units or something like that), I would not think it short-sighted for any government to decide to consider the needs of the people, as pertains housing. States like Enugu are leading the way in the effort to provide housing for it's citizens, I am not certain why anyone would consider it short-sighted for any other government in the same country to pursue any efforts to help ease the problem.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Oct 12, 2010
ocho cinco:

is not only shortsighted but silly as well.

That's true. I would want people to be more realistic and realise the inherent limitaions of Government. I mean people expect the Fashola regime to uphold law and order, and maintain and construct roads and bridges. And then fund state hospitals and state high schools
Thay have not done all this excellently well and yet some people here expect them to provide housing which really is the job of the private sector. And maybe to run welfare services for the poor even when their finances are nothing to write home about.
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Mariory(m): 8:23pm On Oct 12, 2010
tensor777:

That's true. I would want people to be more realistic and realise the inherent limitaions of Government. I mean people expect the Fashola regime to uphold law and order, and maintain and construct roads and bridges. And then fund state hospitals and state high schools
Thay have not done all this excellently well and yet some people here expect them to provide housing which really is the job of the private sector. And maybe to run welfare services for the poor even when their finances are nothing to write home about.

I am of the belief that the people of Lagos are aware. Despite the obvious and expected frustrations in the streets of Lagos and Nigeria as a whole, the majority of the Lagosians are aware Fashola's government is doing quite well under the circumstances. Do not let the opinions of a few people on the internet who don't even live in Lagos make you think otherwise. wink
Re: How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Oct 12, 2010
Well Mr Mariory I am aware of the enconiums showered upon the regime which is all well and good.

However playing the advocate of some left-wingers here I can see how the mere fact that the regime has been awarding so many contracts for things which should be properly initiated by the private sector, would give the poor man the impression that Fashola's Government has money to burn.

What I am saying is that things like electric power generation, transport rolling stock,  water transport, shopping complexes and the like should properly be left to the private sector.

It also raises the ancilliary question as to how Fashola is funding these mega projects and what is the exact state of Lagos State finances undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Clearing Procedure At The Airport / How Lucrative Is Furniture Business / Stock Market Hits Two-year High, Soars By N218bn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.