Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,215 members, 7,818,729 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun (35540 Views)

Lawyer Jailed For Killing Her Husband Relocates To UK After Pardon By Ajimobi / Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon / Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by OndoFirstBorn(m): 10:31am On Jul 16, 2019
A 48-year-old man, Derrick Addai, has been released from prison in Ogun State after spending 14 years in custody due to an alleged typographical error on the list of pardoned inmates.

Our correspondent gathered that it took the intervention of the Osile of Oke-Ona, Oba Adedapo Tejuoso, and the Director General of the Prison Rehabilitation Mission International, Bishop Kayode Williams, before he was let off the hook.

It was learnt that Addai was convicted of drug peddling in Thailand, but was repatriated to Nigeria in 2005 following the intervention of the then President Olusegun Obasanjo.

Thirty convicts, who were later pardoned by the Federal Government, had spent five years and six months in Thai prison before Obasanjo intervened.

Addai was, however, unlucky as a typographical error led to the omission of his name from the list of pardoned inmates approved by the Presidency.

Our correspondent gathered that the name of one of the inmates appeared twice on the list and that was responsible for the omission of Addai’s name.

Narrating his ordeal, Addai, a native of Cross River State, said he thought that the error would be corrected within a few days, but it eventually took 14 years for relief to come his way.

He stated, “I spent 14 years in a Nigerian prison after I had spent five years and six months in Thailand’s prison from the year 2000, and I came back to Nigeria in 2005.

“It is quite unfortunate that my name was omitted from the list they brought then, and I spent time and money writing several letters for it to be corrected but, it did not work out.

“It happened that when they brought the list from Aso Rock, the letter was sealed and I was there and they asked me to open it. When I opened the letter, I saw that there were 30 names on the list, I just dropped it and left. After a few minutes, we were called back that one name was missing but that the numbers were complete.

“We called Obasanjo, Senator Lekan Mustapha and other people involved. They asked the officials to bring the letter to the office and when the man who wrote the names saw it, he insisted that that was not the list he sent and asked me to give him two days and the two days never came till now.”

When asked about his experience in prison, he lamented the way Nigerian prisons were being run, adding that inmates were not empowered with vocational skills.

Addai stated, “You can’t put people in prison without giving them anything. No work; they are just abandoned and earn nothing.

“No matter the condition or the environment, they should allow prisoners to do their handwork, but, when the prisoners don’t have any work or something they are doing there, when they come out, they will have nothing to do.”

https://punchng.com/typographical-error-kept-man-in-prison-for-14-years-after-pardon/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by oderinde151(m): 1:47pm On Jul 16, 2019
This is bad and disheartening . Spending 14 years In a Nigerian prison is no joke coupled with the fact that they are not being treated well. Imagine not eating a balanced diet for a decade and even more. Typographical errors my foot undecided .Tell us the person you exchanged his name with angry

62 Likes 1 Share

Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by SoNature(m): 1:48pm On Jul 16, 2019
Although it is bad in this context, typographical errors can also be a blessing to some people

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by adoyi8: 1:48pm On Jul 16, 2019
Some people will be sent to hell because of typographical error in the book of life.

God please take note of this guy's name, he shouldn't go to hell twice.

22 Likes

Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by arantess: 1:48pm On Jul 16, 2019
His village people strong mehn

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by hisexcellency34: 1:48pm On Jul 16, 2019
And you expect this kind of man to say 'God bless Nigeria'?

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by ken6488(m): 1:48pm On Jul 16, 2019
OndoFirstBorn:
A 48-year-old man, Derrick Addai, has been released from prison in Ogun State after spending 14 years in custody due to an alleged typographical error on the list of pardoned inmates.

Our correspondent gathered that it took the intervention of the Osile of Oke-Ona, Oba Adedapo Tejuoso, and the Director General of the Prison Rehabilitation Mission International, Bishop Kayode Williams, before he was let off the hook.

It was learnt that Addai was convicted of drug peddling in Thailand, but was repatriated to Nigeria in 2005 following the intervention of the then President Olusegun Obasanjo.

Thirty convicts, who were later pardoned by the Federal Government, had spent five years and six months in Thai prison before Obasanjo intervened.

Addai was, however, unlucky as a typographical error led to the omission of his name from the list of pardoned inmates approved by the Presidency.

Our correspondent gathered that the name of one of the inmates appeared twice on the list and that was responsible for the omission of Addai’s name.

Narrating his ordeal, Addai, a native of Cross River State, said he thought that the error would be corrected within a few days, but it eventually took 14 years for relief to come his way.

He stated, “I spent 14 years in a Nigerian prison after I had spent five years and six months in Thailand’s prison from the year 2000, and I came back to Nigeria in 2005.

“It is quite unfortunate that my name was omitted from the list they brought then, and I spent time and money writing several letters for it to be corrected but, it did not work out.

“It happened that when they brought the list from Aso Rock, the letter was sealed and I was there and they asked me to open it. When I opened the letter, I saw that there were 30 names on the list, I just dropped it and left. After a few minutes, we were called back that one name was missing but that the numbers were complete.

“We called Obasanjo, Senator Lekan Mustapha and other people involved. They asked the officials to bring the letter to the office and when the man who wrote the names saw it, he insisted that that was not the list he sent and asked me to give him two days and the two days never came till now.”

When asked about his experience in prison, he lamented the way Nigerian prisons were being run, adding that inmates were not empowered with vocational skills.

Addai stated, “You can’t put people in prison without giving them anything. No work; they are just abandoned and earn nothing.

“No matter the condition or the environment, they should allow prisoners to do their handwork, but, when the prisoners don’t have any work or something they are doing there, when they come out, they will have nothing to do.”

https://punchng.com/typographical-error-kept-man-in-prison-for-14-years-after-pardon/
shocked
Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by Kpeshi10(m): 1:48pm On Jul 16, 2019
Endtime typographical error

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by nepapole(m): 1:48pm On Jul 16, 2019
Damn!!!

4 Likes

Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by CaptainMitch: 1:48pm On Jul 16, 2019
If you do the crime, you do the time.

1 Like

Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by DameB(f): 1:49pm On Jul 16, 2019
May someone's head not reject freedom o

6 Likes

Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by GlorifiedTunde(m): 1:49pm On Jul 16, 2019
DaMN!
Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by Rabson44(m): 1:49pm On Jul 16, 2019
WTF is typographical error

1 Like

Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jul 16, 2019
I rather go prison for USA than this shithole..for Yankee d man go acquire different skills but for my country na...

1 Like

Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by mightyhaze: 1:49pm On Jul 16, 2019
sad 14 what??
Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by Offpoint: 1:49pm On Jul 16, 2019
When village people are not done with you, nobody can save you.

1 Like

Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by freemanbubble: 1:50pm On Jul 16, 2019
Okay
Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by lyriclekidd(m): 1:51pm On Jul 16, 2019
Nawa oh Naija i tire..
Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by ihatebuhari(f): 1:51pm On Jul 16, 2019
hisexcellency34:
And you expect this kind of man to say 'God bless Nigeria'?
never lol
Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by Wizklynd23(m): 1:51pm On Jul 16, 2019
grin

His village people yaff succeeded

Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by thesicilian: 1:51pm On Jul 16, 2019
Might have been a deliberate act by one of the prison wardens to omit his name
Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jul 16, 2019
B
Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by jericco1(m): 1:51pm On Jul 16, 2019
His fate has come to pass
Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by smsreseller: 1:51pm On Jul 16, 2019
OndoFirstBorn:

He stated, “I spent 14 years in a Nigerian prison after I had spent five years and six months in Thailand’s prison from the year 2000, and I came back to Nigeria in 2005.”

Ah! This is not an ordinary error o. Ogbeni, go and pray well well. It looks more like "Village People" tins.

Are you a Student? Start VTU Business today. It pays a lot:

https://smsreseller.com.ng/vtu-reseller-plans
Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by maxiuc(m): 1:52pm On Jul 16, 2019
cheesy

How many has Buhari intervened for since he became president

We knew obj has his short coming but still 200% better Buhari

During obasanjo government nobody dares with Nigeria but today we have been reduced to a caricature

Quote me and loose your soul to hell

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by Kingv(m): 1:52pm On Jul 16, 2019
So unfortunate, the greatest testimony we neglect is freedom

1 Like

Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by KingAzari: 1:52pm On Jul 16, 2019
Choi!

2 Likes

Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by Zenlife: 1:52pm On Jul 16, 2019
OndoFirstBorn:

Nah...!
That's not only what kept him in prison. Key element is ineptitude, a cornerstone of Nigeria government.

2 Likes

Re: Typographical Error Kept Man In Prison For 14 Years After Pardon In Ogun by Ayoswit(f): 1:53pm On Jul 16, 2019
Chai! undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Udom Emmanuel: Michael Itok In Prison Over “Annoying” Facebook Posts / Man Caught On Camera Buying Drinks Worth Over 100k With Fake Money (pics / Billionaire Couple Mysteriously Burn To Death In Onitsha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.