Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,810 members, 7,817,350 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:43 AM

Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools (1625 Views)

Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. / Makinde: Wearing Of Face Mask Now Compulsory In Oyo / Embarrassing Photos Of Imo Govt House As Governor Ihedioha Tours Around Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jul 16, 2019
Schools in Imo state will soon adopt Igbo language as a compulsory subject
- This was disclosed by the Imo state deputy governor, Honourable Gerald Irona
- The deputy governor said the idea is geared towards preserving the culture of the Igbo ethnic group, especially the language
The Imo state government has disclosed its readiness to send a bill to the state House of Assembly that will make Igbo language a compulsory subject at all levels of education in the state.
This disclosure was made by the deputy governor of the state, Hon. Gerald Irona, while receiving a civil society organisation, Green Pathway Initiative in his office in Owerri recently.
Irona said the idea is geared towards preserving the culture of the Igbo ethnic group, especially the language.
The deputy governor who spoke in Igbo language, lamented what he described as the decline in the use of Igbo language, assuring that the new administration would do everything possible to urgently remedy the situation.

His words: “Every tribe has an identity. One of the identities of a people is their language. It is unfortunate that a lot of our children neither speak nor understand Igbo language. I commend the Igbofo group for their efforts in preserving the Igbo language. It is a step in the right direction.
“I will discuss the details with critical stakeholders, with a view to seeing how to take it forward. I will discuss with the Governor and I know he will be interested in making this work.”
Earlier in her speech, leader of the delegation and founder of Igbofo and Green Pathway Initiative, Professor Frances Chukwukere, poured encomiums on the governor, Rt. Hon. Emeka Ihedioha, describing him as a man of wisdom.
Adding his voice, a clergy, Rev. Father Uzoma Okwara also called on the state government to take the necessary steps to save the Igbo language from extinction.
Meanwhile, Governor Ihedioha has flagged-off the Ezemazu Urualla gully erosion control project at Urualla in Ideato north local government council of Imo state.

The project which costs over N9billion is supervised by Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (NEWMAP), while construction company, Arab Contractors will handle the project.
Speaking at the ceremony, the governor said that his administration had paid the N500million counterpart funding to NEWMAP, an agency of the World Bank, under the federal ministry of environment and natural resources, to bring lasting solutions to the problems of erosion in the state and open doors for development partners to come into Imo.

https://www.legit.ng/1249104-imo-govt-igbo-language-compulsory-schools.html?fbclid=IwAR2b8PpQgITkfnaWipgBaR5RIY76YkC-a_3oE1uBea8RFedqRxKMjs5vlhc

Lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jul 16, 2019
Ihedioha I used to tell people is Godsent.

Okorocha abolished igbo language in school that's why you see most of them not writing igbo in external exams.

So if this is done and as it will stand it now only Imo(if implemented) , anambra and some parts of Enugu and abia state that now teaches igbo language in their school from nursery through primary to secondary.

Welldone Ihedioha, this is a nice move as anambra has made igbo compulsory in all school upto external exams long time ago.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by orisa37: 3:35pm On Jul 16, 2019
You are just implementing the 1979 CONSTITUTION. Welldone.

1 Like

Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by Banmeallday: 4:39pm On Jul 16, 2019
It is not about cheap sentimental things.....WHat is needed is world class schools and faculty that is regularly paid with the hope that they inspire our boys to be serious about their region and our young girls to not be Ashawo for those in Lagos or old senators from Delta state....
Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by mystic77(m): 4:51pm On Jul 16, 2019
This is laudable, language and culture shouldn't be thrown away.
But why were igbos down playing and calling yoruba tribalist when we made yoruba compulsory in lagos.. But they are now singing praises of there own who did same... Isn't this hypocrisy

6 Likes

Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by johnmartus(m): 4:59pm On Jul 16, 2019
Igbo language only limited to those people living interior in the region. The same language some igbo folks ashamed to speak outside their region.
Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jul 16, 2019
johnmartus:
Igbo language only limited to those people living interior in the region. The same language some igbo folks ashamed to speak outside their region.

What do you mean??

Explain more because I hate barefaced lies

I have never seen an igboman ashamed to speak his/her language

I haven't.

6 Likes

Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jul 16, 2019
mystic77:
But why were igbos down playing and calling yoruba tribalist when we made yoruba compulsory in lagos.. But they are now singing praises of there own who did same... Isn't this hypocrisy

Lagos state wanted to Impose yoruba speaking not Yoruba as a compulsory subject which has already been in most lagos state controlled schools but not guided by law.

https://www.konbini.com/ng/lifestyle/governor-ambode-declares-wednesday-yoruba-speaking-day-schools/
Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by gebest: 5:08pm On Jul 16, 2019
Ok
Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by johnmartus(m): 5:18pm On Jul 16, 2019
I mean you can't use this language to transact business in other regions Because most igbo business man and men preferred speaking yoruba and hausa or broken English than to speak igbo language.
MelesZenawi:

What do you mean??

Explain more because I hate barefaced lies

I have never seen an igboman ashamed to speak his/her language

I haven't.
Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jul 16, 2019
johnmartus:
I mean you can't use this language to transact business in other regions Because most igbo business man and men preferred speaking yoruba and hausa or broken English than to speak igbo language.

You are just. Intelligent by minus 0.03%

Do you read your statement at all.

So you expect igbo residing in sokoto to do his business in igbo language. How will he communicate pls if not that the igbo man will either use the hausa man dialect or English

For Christ sake how do Nigerians reason at all

Do you go to yorubaland annd start speaking igbo for them, how. Will you then do your business or will a yoruba man come to igbo land and start speaking yoruba to do his business

You not intelligent at all.

Seriously I doubt if you. Complete primary school at all.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by Gandollar(f): 5:28pm On Jul 16, 2019
johnmartus:
My guy, your mumu na follow come. I hope you have seen it now for yourself.

6 Likes

Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jul 16, 2019
johnmartus:

You speak your language whenever you come across your brother or sisters in another region.

You don't impose your language on people.

5 Likes

Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by mystic77(m): 7:10pm On Jul 16, 2019
Esseite:

Lagos state wanted to Impose yoruba speaking not Yoruba as a compulsory subject which has already been in most lagos state controlled schools but not guided by law.

https://www.konbini.com/ng/lifestyle/governor-ambode-declares-wednesday-yoruba-speaking-day-schools/
So what?.. I guess if it were in imo or any SE state you won't be saying this... Why learn when you won't speak

1 Like

Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jul 16, 2019
mystic77:

So what?.. I guess if it were in imo or any SE state you won't be saying this... Why learn when you won't speak

Because there were no options of other subject deliberately or maybe just circumstance.. learning it as a subject is totally different from enforcing speaking it as school language.
Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jul 16, 2019
johnmartus:
ashamed because they can't speak it, not the identity .
Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by adekolaelect(m): 7:57pm On Jul 16, 2019
Esseite:

you head is paining you.you now brainless simply because you want to defend your tribe

Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by cocaineaddict(m): 8:15pm On Jul 16, 2019
mystic77:
Lagos is a no-man’s-land. Every ethnicity in Nigeria is equally represented so it’s foolishness and selfishnes for just one tribe to insist on making its language compulsory
Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by adekolaelect(m): 8:17pm On Jul 16, 2019
MelesZenawi:

You are just. Intelligent by minus 0.03%

Do you read your statement at all.

So you expect igbo residing in sokoto to do his business in igbo language. How will he communicate pls if not that the igbo man will either use the hausa man dialect or English

For Christ sake how do Nigerians reason at all

Do you go to yorubaland annd start speaking igbo for them, how. Will you then do your business or will a yoruba man come to igbo land and start speaking yoruba to do his business

You not intelligent at all.

Seriously I doubt if you. Complete primary school at all.
Calm down but you validated his claims by all what you said. He said igbos don't speak their language out side their region and you said they don't speak it because of the business transactions which is true but both of you are right bcs you are just telling him why they don't speak it but you validated it they dont speak it. why are you now bragging as if you know it all??

1 Like

Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by fergie001: 8:18pm On Jul 16, 2019
I support this 101%.........

OVI, take a cue......

1 Like

Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jul 16, 2019
adekolaelect:
Calm down but you validated his claims by all what you said. He said igbos don't speak their language out side their region and you said they don't speak it because of the business transactions which is true but both of you are right bcs you are just telling him why they don't speak it but you validated it they dont speak it. why are you now bragging as if you know it all??

I was even saying he was intelligent by minus 0.03% not knowing that someone didn't even understand the guy write up.

Your own intelligent is minus 0.005%.

Go back and read meaning to his statement.

Olaniyi May God grant you the power of understanding.

2 Likes

Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by nwanyionitsha: 9:43pm On Jul 16, 2019
johnmartus:
You don't make any sense.
So if I go to an Igbo man's shop,he will start speaking Hausa or yoruba to me?
Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by nwanyionitsha: 9:49pm On Jul 16, 2019
adekolaelect:
You still don't make sense. So when or if I go to Yoruba land, I start speaking Igbo to Yorubas.
There is a Yoruba woman that has a provision shop close to my house at Onitsha, she doesn't speak Yoruba to anyone. She transacts in English.
Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by johnmartus(m): 10:10pm On Jul 16, 2019
Common.
Gandollar:
My guy, your mumu na follow come. I hope you have seen it now for yourself.
Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by maestroferdi: 10:34pm On Jul 16, 2019
johnmartus:
You know you are not making sense, don't you?

How many Igbos out of over 5 million living in Lagos speak Yoruba?

In which of the markets dominated by the Igbos in Lagos do the traders speak any other language other than Igbo?

Is Alaba International or Trade Fair (Aspamda and Balogun),, or Idumota or Ladipo or even Computer Village?

Dude stop talking trash!
Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by valarmorghulis: 10:58pm On Jul 16, 2019
Esseite:

What's the difference?
Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by Westtimeline: 11:06pm On Jul 16, 2019
mystic77:
Hypocrisyis an understatement my brother
Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by Westtimeline: 11:11pm On Jul 16, 2019
cocaineaddict:

Lagos is a no-man’s-land. Every ethnicity in Nigeria is equally represented so it’s foolishness and selfishnes for just one tribe to insist on making its language compulsory
No, it is your fathers compound. Which ethnicity is represented. Come and say that In mushin
Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by mystic77(m): 6:25am On Jul 17, 2019
cocaineaddict:

This is one reason you guys are been maltreated..you come to a place and you are been allowed to trade then boom "it's no man's land"...the difference between you lots and fulani is they are using gun and force and you guy's aren't.. Land grabbers
Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by jafol(m): 8:49am On Jul 17, 2019
cocaineaddict:

Just like Abuja and onitsha is a no man land abi? Every tribe is also represented there
Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by jafol(m): 8:53am On Jul 17, 2019
mystic77:

This is one reason you guys are been maltreated..you come to a place and you are been allowed to trade then boom "it's no man's land"...the difference between you lots and fulani is they are using gun and force and you guy's aren't.. Land grabbers

I don’t see any difference between igbos n Fula is, igbos r just fighting for their interest in south west cos they know they r finished if Fulani n Yoruba join hands. They r using media n all resources including herdsmen to cause commotion in Yoruba land, pls tell me compare Igbo populations in southwest vs fulanis, who would u rather think will know more about yorubas . They r recruiting fulanis to destroy yorubas. They want yorubaland.
Re: Imo Govt To Make Igbo Language Compulsory In Schools by mystic77(m): 9:16am On Jul 17, 2019
jafol:

I don’t see any difference between igbos n Fula is, igbos r just fighting for their interest in south west cos they know they r finished if Fulani n Yoruba join hands. They r using media n all resources including herdsmen to cause commotion in Yoruba land, pls tell me compare Igbo populations in southwest vs fulanis, who would u rather think will know more about yorubas . They r recruiting fulanis to destroy yorubas. They want yorubaland.
I'm not in for your demented theories... I'm a realist....The fulani's are meant to be fought against tooth and nail cause there mindset and agenda is now known clearly.
So you still have the mindset of joining hands with Fulani as a yoruba person?... I guess you are been driven by politics or religion. Never spite yourself to make someone cry.
I see reasons why northerners are been hostile to the igbos, cause if you give them an inch, they take a mile...it's so annoying seeing how this guys move to the west and want to tell us how to run our region..
When there arrogance is been met with hostility, they come on social media to cry and scream genocide, will call on US, UN, etc... This happens almost everywhere they have a sizeable population.. (SA, India, West, North)..
Respect is reciprocal.
If you can't respect your host, then you lot will get your ass wiped

(1) (2) (Reply)

Could Nigeria Beat Ethiopia's 350 Million Trees In A Day Record ? / Breaking! Police Detains Hon. Shina Peller In Lagos / Supreme Court Cannot Set Aside Own Judgment - Akpedeye, SAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.