Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,415 members, 7,846,744 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 10:32 PM

Read What Text Message Has Done To Nigerians - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Read What Text Message Has Done To Nigerians (753 Views)

Mtn Code To Send Unlimited Free Text Message Without Paying / How To Know If Your Whatsapp Message Has Been Read / Need To Get Back An Important Deleted Text Message On My Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Read What Text Message Has Done To Nigerians by mannygee: 5:32pm On Oct 12, 2010
Nigerians' spelling and writing skill and articulation have become worrisome since the use of GSM in the country. No thanks to the use of short codes in writing text messages. They are so ignorant of their poor spelling and writing skill that they even forget the existence of Dictionary. A West African Examination Council Officer (WAEC) also relates how some candidates used the text messages short code in answering Waec questions in recent times.That is how bad the habit is among the youths. A friend of mine who I shared this issue with recently also confessed how she was almost issued query for 'mistakenly' used the text message short codes in an official letter in her Office. What a menace. Hmmm, Nigeria - always one step forward, two steps backward.

The solution is just self-moderation; We should know when and when not to use these short codes.

Comment please.
Re: Read What Text Message Has Done To Nigerians by Nobody: 7:44pm On Oct 12, 2010
I agree 100%
Re: Read What Text Message Has Done To Nigerians by Chuksxp: 10:53pm On Oct 12, 2010
Yeah, sad. The funny thing is that we learnt it from the Western world, but now it's no longer as popular over there as it is over here.
Re: Read What Text Message Has Done To Nigerians by Mobinga: 10:59pm On Oct 12, 2010
I agree 200% From now onwards I shall not use short codes anymore even on this site cool
Re: Read What Text Message Has Done To Nigerians by aieromon(m): 11:52pm On Oct 12, 2010
Abbreviations are okay as long as you know when to use them in either a formal or informal conversation.Sadly,it has eaten deep into the mindset of most people and they cannot recognise the divide anymore.As for me,i rarely send text messages and when i do,all words are spelt as seen in a dictionary.
Re: Read What Text Message Has Done To Nigerians by semid4lyfe(m): 4:17am On Oct 13, 2010
mannygee:

Nigerians' spelling and writing skill and articulation have become worrisome since the use of GSM in the country. No thanks to the use of short codes in writing text messages. They are so ignorant of their poor spelling and writing skill that they even forget the existence of Dictionary. A West African Examination Council Officer (WAEC) also relates how some candidates used the text messages short code in answering Waec questions in recent times.That is how bad the habit is among the youths. A friend of mine who I shared this issue with recently also confessed how she was almost issued query for 'mistakenly' used the text message short codes in an official letter in her Office. What a menace. Hmmm, Nigeria - always one step forward, two steps backward.

The solution is just self-moderation; We should know when and when not to use these short codes.

Comment please.
Very true and it's common on Nairaland too. Text posting pisses me off so much. . .I've even had cause in the past to ask one or two people why they like text-posting.

Na GSM cause am. . .you know, the need to squeeze as many words into a single text message since the limit is 160 words (including spaces & punctuations) to save cost grin grin

Like you said, self-moderation is the key and one should know when to text-post or not. I send text messages quite often and whether I text-post or not depends on the person I'm sending the SMS.
Re: Read What Text Message Has Done To Nigerians by puskin: 8:01am On Oct 13, 2010
Ehnnn!!!!!!!!!. . . . . we naija ppl like to over-copy things nah!!!!!! and unfortunately don't know when to stop. undecided undecided
Re: Read What Text Message Has Done To Nigerians by Emmyk(m): 11:05pm On Oct 13, 2010
When I abbreviate for sms, I will thoroughly read it again,to be sure maybe an average nigerian who do not abbreviate could understand my message;still in doubt,I will rather use 2 pages!
I have never used it formally (in school) before- aside; dont,did'nt,could'nt etc
Re: Read What Text Message Has Done To Nigerians by mannygee: 4:09pm On Oct 18, 2010
Hmmmm. Self-acknowledgement is the beginning of self-correction. Maybe we (Nigerians) should start re-branding ourselves with this issues. lol
Re: Read What Text Message Has Done To Nigerians by iice(f): 4:24pm On Oct 18, 2010
Abeg tell them oo. People be opening threads with jargons half of us cannot understand, like say dodo scratches.

(1) (Reply)

Bold 9700: Black Or White? Pls Advice / Blackberry Phones And Ipad For Sale / Nokia N85 For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.