Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,129 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:52 AM

Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. (3457 Views)

6 Car Repairs You Should Never Do Yourself / Repairs / 5 Car Repairs Hacks You Should Never Try To Do Yourself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by Citiwebb1: 10:39am On Jul 17, 2019
There’s nothing more frustrating than getting excited about fixing a problematic automobile all by yourself only to discover that the repairs required are well beyond your skills as a mechanic!! Nevertheless, there are times when the average DIY enthusiast shouldn’t begin to ponder particular automotive repairs and leave the problem to the professionals.

Here are examples of when it’s best to protect your vehicle and yourself by not trying to repair your car yourself.

Bodywork and paint – Repairing damaged body panels and applying paint is an expensive, messy, noxious, and time-consuming process. Between all the fumes and required training, it’s one of those repairs that specialized professionals are the only obvious option.

Windshield replacement – This is one of those repairs that all drivers dread, and it’s easy to understand why. The smart thing to do is to get a brand-new windshield professionally installed because the last thing you need is a leaky piece of glass ruining your interior

Fuel system fixes – Fuel systems have the capacity to cause headaches, garage fires, and even unconsciousness. Our recommendation is to play it safe and leave anything having to do with replacing a fuel pump, tank, injectors, rails, or pressurized lines for professionals to handle.

Snapped coil springs – Always under extreme pressure and strong enough to kill a full-grown man, the springs on a car are tightly wound mouse traps. There are dangers and risks associated with swapping springs and it’s best to let a trainer and skilled mechanic do his thing.

AC system restoration – The number of parts requiring replacement on a modern vehicle when an AC compressor locks-up is staggering. Once that crucial component seizes up, it will more than likely send tiny shards of metal through every inch of the system, meaning every line and fitting needs to be replaced along with the condenser, evaporator, compressor, and various other items. It’s expensive, time-consuming, and dangerous, and a task that even trained professionals may dread doing.

Brake plumbing and reservoir replacement – Even the small stuff, like replacing your brake pads and rotors can put you in dangerous territory really quick. Being able to stop safer than when you started is the reason we bleed brakes and upgrade pads and rotors with aftermarket options, but things don’t always go according to plan. So when something like a master cylinder or a line rusts in half, it’s usually best to take your car to a shop for repairs in order for everything to be flared and fixed properly.

Defective airbag fixes – This last warning should be a bit obvious, but that doesn’t stop people from trying to swap out detonated or defective airbags on their own. Unplugging everything properly and removing the old unit is one thing; fitting in the fresh airbag can be a completely different story. While these kinds of repairs may save you money (when not covered under warranty or recall), relying upon trained professionals will provide you both with peace of mind and factory fitment without all the headaches.

Hope you enjoyed reading this, now you know a few car repairs you should never try yourself

Please call us at CitiWebb Auto Centers on the numbers below to arrange for a flatbed tow or mechanic call out service if you are in doubt of the condition of your vehicle.

Contact info:

Plot 21, Admiralty Way, Lekki Phase 1, Lagos
KM 23 Lekki Epe Expressway, Ajah, Lagos

CALL: 08035355245

1 Like

Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by adanny01(m): 4:59pm On Jul 17, 2019
Citiwebb1:
There’s nothing more frustrating than getting excited about fixing a problematic automobile all by yourself only to discover that the repairs required are well beyond your skills as a mechanic!! Nevertheless, there are times when the average DIY enthusiast shouldn’t begin to ponder particular automotive repairs and leave the problem to the professionals.

Here are examples of when it’s best to protect your vehicle and yourself by not trying to repair your car yourself.

Bodywork and paint – Repairing damaged body panels and applying paint is an expensive, messy, noxious, and time-consuming process. Between all the fumes and required training, it’s one of those repairs that specialized professionals are the only obvious option.

Windshield replacement – This is one of those repairs that all drivers dread, and it’s easy to understand why. The smart thing to do is to get a brand-new windshield professionally installed because the last thing you need is a leaky piece of glass ruining your interior

Fuel system fixes – Fuel systems have the capacity to cause headaches, garage fires, and even unconsciousness. Our recommendation is to play it safe and leave anything having to do with replacing a fuel pump, tank, injectors, rails, or pressurized lines for professionals to handle.

Snapped coil springs – Always under extreme pressure and strong enough to kill a full-grown man, the springs on a car are tightly wound mouse traps. There are dangers and risks associated with swapping springs and it’s best to let a trainer and skilled mechanic do his thing.

AC system restoration – The number of parts requiring replacement on a modern vehicle when an AC compressor locks-up is staggering. Once that crucial component seizes up, it will more than likely send tiny shards of metal through every inch of the system, meaning every line and fitting needs to be replaced along with the condenser, evaporator, compressor, and various other items. It’s expensive, time-consuming, and dangerous, and a task that even trained professionals may dread doing.

Brake plumbing and reservoir replacement – Even the small stuff, like replacing your brake pads and rotors can put you in dangerous territory really quick. Being able to stop safer than when you started is the reason we bleed brakes and upgrade pads and rotors with aftermarket options, but things don’t always go according to plan. So when something like a master cylinder or a line rusts in half, it’s usually best to take your car to a shop for repairs in order for everything to be flared and fixed properly.

Defective airbag fixes – This last warning should be a bit obvious, but that doesn’t stop people from trying to swap out detonated or defective airbags on their own. Unplugging everything properly and removing the old unit is one thing; fitting in the fresh airbag can be a completely different story. While these kinds of repairs may save you money (when not covered under warranty or recall), relying upon trained professionals will provide you both with peace of mind and factory fitment without all the headaches.

Hope you enjoyed reading this, now you know a few car repairs you should never try yourself

Please call us at CitiWebb Auto Centers on the numbers below to arrange for a flatbed tow or mechanic call out service if you are in doubt of the condition of your vehicle.

Contact info:

Plot 21, Admiralty Way, Lekki Phase 1, Lagos
KM 23 Lekki Epe Expressway, Ajah, Lagos

CALL: 08035355245

I agree to 1 or 2 but not all.

I will do limited body work but not paint. When i hit a dog on 140km/h, it destroyed my front bumper and broke my resonator box. I bought and replaced both myself and took the car to the painter.

I wont do windshield, but i wont leave them to it either.

I will totally do fuel system. I have replaced fuel pump and fixed fuel pump relay. Volkswagen Golf, Vento, Sharan commercial drivers constantly move with spare fuel pump or they will eventually sleep in the bush one day.

Coil spring can be done with the right tools.

With the right tools and proper info, AC is a walk in the park.

Brake master was my latest DIY. I fixed the failing brake master. I bought and replaced the 3 rubber cup kits and the master came back to life like magic. I did the same on the former brake master and now have a spare. Imagine how i wasted N8,000 to buy a brake master from a salvaged car when the solution was N500 in parts. I also replaced the same rubber cup kit for my 2003 Accord rear brake drum that was leaking hydraulic. I also did brake pad replacements on almost 5 different cars. Bleeding was done by me with an assistant. Infact, i bleed the ABS pump.

Airbag is a no go area for me, for now.

Fixing a car is not rocket science, it is having the right knowledge, parts, equipment and a little bit of skill.

I developed my DIY skills and enthusiasm from Cartalk by asking questions and getting relevant response by professionals in this forum. I will encourage you to give out so you will in turn be blessed. Hausa man says, "rashin sani, bako ya sha ruwan wanka". Translation, "Unknowingly, the guest drinks bath water". Guide people so that they dont drink bath water.

Your thread would be better as an exposé for DIYer's than a deterant. I wont tell my 16yr old child leave driving for those 18 and above, i will teach him to drive and tell him wait till you get your license.

10 Likes

Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jul 17, 2019
adanny01:

I agree to 1 or 2 but not all.

I will do limited body work but not paint. When i hit a dog on 140km/h, it destroyed my front bumper and broke my resonator box. I bought and replaced both myself and took the car to the painter.

I wont do windshield, but i wont leave them to it either.

I will totally do fuel system. I have replaced fuel pump and fixed fuel pump relay. Volkswagen Golf, Vento, Sharan commercial drivers constantly move with spare fuel pump or they will eventually sleep in the bush one day.

Coil spring can be done with the right tools.

With the right tools and proper info, AC is a walk in the park.

Brake master was my latest DIY. I fixed the failing brake master. I bought and replaced the 3 rubber cup kits and the master came back to life like magic. I did the same on the former brake master and now have a spare. Imagine how i wasted N8,000 to buy a brake master from a salvaged car when the solution was N500 in parts. I also replaced the same rubber cup kit for my 2003 Accord rear brake drum that was leaking hydraulic. I also did brake pad replacements on almost 5 different cars. Bleeding was done by me with an assistant. Infact, i bleed the ABS pump.

Airbag is a no go area for me, for now.

Fixing a car is not rocket science, it is having the right knowledge, parts, equipment and a little bit of skill.

I developed my DIY skills and enthusiasm from Cartalk by asking questions and getting relevant response by professionals in this forum. I will encourage you to give out so you will in turn be blessed. Hausa man says, "rashin sani, bako ya sha ruwan wanka". Translation, "Unknowingly, the guest drinks bath water". Guide people so that they dont drink bath water.

Your thread would be better as an exposé for DIYer's than a deterant. I wont tell my 16yr old child leave driving for those 18 and above, i will teach him to drive and tell him wait till you get your license.

Are you Hausa?
Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by adanny01(m): 6:54pm On Jul 17, 2019
papiforreal:

Are you Hausa?

No, am SK (Southern Kaduna).
Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by diportivo: 10:27pm On Jul 17, 2019
adanny01:

oh

so u r from that side where my other ikorodu friend is from

no wonder u both drive Honda grin

1 Like

Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by adanny01(m): 10:56pm On Jul 17, 2019
diportivo:

oh

so u r from that side where my other ikorodu friend is from

no wonder u both drive Honda grin

grin

I drive Honda not for the side i come from but because I understand it better. I get pissed at Toyota for things i find easy with Honda.

For example, when my Mums Pontiac refused to start 20 mins after it was parked with low fuel, i bought fuel twice in a gallon but no start. After removing the the fuel pump assembly, it took a weak before i successfully started the car. Even after i found out there was no power to the fuel pump assembly unit, looking for the relay was another task. The interior fuse assembly was in an awkward position. What was Toyota thinking?

From 2003 Honda started using Engine immobilizer but Toyota started with 2007. Honda had courtesy power to power windows in 2003 but when did Toyota start. Remote power windows from 2003 in Honda but camry has nothing. Remote trunk release in Honda 2003 but Toyota. Every body who bought a Toyota after me and even before me has change a Shock absorber at least once but i am yet to. Even when i needed to adjust my engine valve clearance and i saw the Toyota process, I had to spit at Toyota. The Toyota valve lash doesnt often require adjusting but when it does, you will need more expensive parts and labour.

Owning a Toyota is a classic case of penny wise pound foolish. Toyota is technologically cheaper and offers the least. Buying a brand new Honda is more expensive to any same class of Toyota for this reason. Even the constant use of MacPherson suspension system in Corolla against the Double Wishbone suspension in Accord tells you which car is after customer satisfaction.

Lastly, mechanics who prefer Toyota, do so for selfish reasons. Mechanics dont make money in labour as they make it parts. The frequently replaced parts of Toyota are far more expensive than a Honda.

Almost every review i have read comparing Toyota and Honda says Toyota is after reliability and Honda is after user satisfaction.

1 Like

Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by diportivo: 6:43am On Jul 18, 2019
adanny01:

grin

I drive Honda not for the side i come from but because I understand it better. I get pissed at Toyota for things i find easy with Honda.

For example, when my Mums Pontiac refused to start 20 mins after it was parked with low fuel, i bought fuel twice in a gallon but no start. After removing the the fuel pump assembly, it took a weak before i successfully started the car. Even after i found out there was no power to the fuel pump assembly unit, looking for the relay was another task. The interior fuse assembly was in an awkward position. What was Toyota thinking?

From 2003 Honda started using Engine immobilizer but Toyota started with 2007. Honda had courtesy power to power windows in 2003 but when did Toyota start. Remote power windows from 2003 in Honda but camry has nothing. Remote trunk release in Honda 2003 but Toyota. Every body who bought a Toyota after me and even before me has change a Shock absorber at least once but i am yet to. Even when i needed to adjust my engine valve clearance and i saw the Toyota process, I had to spit at Toyota. The Toyota valve lash doesnt often require adjusting but when it does, you will need more expensive parts and labour.

Owning a Toyota is a classic case of penny wise pound foolish. Toyota is technologically cheaper and offers the least. Buying a brand new Honda is more expensive to any same class of Toyota for this reason. Even the constant use of MacPherson suspension system in Corolla against the Double Wishbone suspension in Accord tells you which car is after customer satisfaction.

Lastly, mechanics who prefer Toyota, do so for selfish reasons. Mechanics dont make money in labour as they make it parts. The frequently replaced parts of Toyota are far more expensive than a Honda.

Almost every review i have read comparing Toyota and Honda says Toyota is after reliability and Honda is after user satisfaction.

i don read,I don tire

I am not a Toyota fan tho.....I will do a Honda over a Toyota over and over again

hell,I will do a Volvo before I think of a Toyota sef grin

1 Like

Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by banky3w(m): 10:41am On Jul 18, 2019
adanny01:

grin

All your facts stated in bold are not true. I used both cars. Besides, why would you be comparing Honda accord 2003 to pontiac vibe/Toyota matrix 2003? The 2003 Camry has whatever English power to power windows with retained accessory power(if you know what that means), it has remote trunk opening, has an engine immobiliser and whatever you think your Honda has too tongue. I put it to you that your mum's car has been serially abused either by you or other kazeems and that's why you couldn't get it started. Stop saying shit!

2 Likes

Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by obekediamondfuto(m): 1:54pm On Jul 18, 2019
Well done oh
Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jul 18, 2019
adanny01:

No wonder. Your Hausa is strong
Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by naphunlimited(m): 6:22pm On Jul 18, 2019
But there are things you should try your self before calling your mechanics
Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by adanny01(m): 10:38pm On Jul 18, 2019
banky3w:

All your facts stated in bold are not true. I used both cars. Besides, why would you be comparing Honda accord 2003 to pontiac vibe/Toyota matrix 2003? The 2003 Camry has whatever English power to power windows with retained accessory power(if you know what that means), it has remote trunk opening, has an engine immobiliser and whatever you think your Honda has too tongue. I put it to you that your mum's car has been serially abused either by you or other kazeems and that's why you couldn't get it started. Stop saying shit!

Where did you see such comparison?

When did a failed relay become serial abuse by Kazeems?
Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by banky3w(m): 11:02pm On Jul 18, 2019
Oga, everything you spoke that I quoted earlier were just incoherent ramblings without any iota of truth. The more I read it, the more annoyed I get. You have no idea how many people you'll be misleading by that statement. You must be a Buhari follower.... grin
Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by thebigkendo(m): 11:06pm On Jul 18, 2019
Hehehe I just dey observe since.. I knew it will become a honda vs Toyota..

Next Toyota vs every other car grin grin
Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by adanny01(m): 11:08pm On Jul 18, 2019
banky3w:

Oga, everything you spoke that I quoted were just incoherent ramblings without any iota of truth. The more I read it, the more annoyed I get. You have no idea how many people you'll be misleading by that statement. You must be a Buhari follower.... grin

Getting you angry was my intention. How did you know that i support Buhari? You must be a psychic. grin
Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by thebigkendo(m): 11:08pm On Jul 18, 2019
banky3w:

Oga, everything you spoke that I quoted earlier were just incoherent ramblings without any iota of truth. The more I read it, the more annoyed I get. You have no idea how many people you'll be misleading by that statement. You must be a Buhari follower.... grin

The 03 camry does not have dual climate control tongue tongue
And some of those 03-04 camry do not have engine immobiliser tongue
Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by banky3w(m): 11:14pm On Jul 18, 2019
adanny01:

Where did you see such comparison?

When did a failed relay become serial abuse by Kazeems?
Good, now that we are clear you ain't comparing the 2,please tell me where you got those facts about Toyota from.
So it was a failed relay that you couldn't diagnose on time ehn? And here you are making it look as if Toyota did you bad. I guess they should have put the relay beside the gear lever for your easy reach. Gazzuzz won't touch civics of some production years because of cramped engine bay but you don't see him yapping that the civics are all devil's wagon. tongue tongue
Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by banky3w(m): 11:15pm On Jul 18, 2019
thebigkendo:

The 03 camry does not have dual climate control tongue tongue
And some of those 03-04 camry do not have engine immobiliser tongue
Boo hoo hoo tongue tongue
Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by banky3w(m): 11:17pm On Jul 18, 2019
adanny01:

Getting you angry was my intention. How did you know that i support Buhari? You must be a psychic. grin
How did you know I was angry? You must be psychopsychic tongue tongue
Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by thebigkendo(m): 11:22pm On Jul 18, 2019
banky3w:

Boo hoo hoo tongue tongue

At least what you quoted has plenty iota of truth grin grin grin grin
Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by thebigkendo(m): 11:23pm On Jul 18, 2019
banky3w:

How did you know I was angry? You must be psychopsychic tongue tongue

banky3w:

tongue tongue
Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by banky3w(m): 11:32pm On Jul 18, 2019
thebigkendo:

At least what you quoted has plenty iota of truth grin grin grin grin
Oh really? When did our precious Honda bring projector headlights? Never? grin grin
Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by thebigkendo(m): 11:35pm On Jul 18, 2019
banky3w:

Oh really? When did our precious Honda bring projector headlights? Never? grin grin

Projector what?? So 03 camry has projector headlights? I never knew.. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by banky3w(m): 11:40pm On Jul 18, 2019
thebigkendo:

Projector what?? So 03 camry has projector headlights? I never knew.. grin grin
I never mentioned 03 camry. tongue What year is your accord? wink
Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by thebigkendo(m): 11:45pm On Jul 18, 2019
banky3w:

I never mentioned 03 camry. tongue What year is your accord? wink

Please which camry has "angel eyes".. If that is what you mean by projector headlights

1 Like

Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by banky3w(m): 11:52pm On Jul 18, 2019
thebigkendo:

Please which camry has "angel eyes".. If that is what you mean by projector headlights
Look no further, just look at one of our own. Angel eyes? It's called projector headlights.

Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by banky3w(m): 11:55pm On Jul 18, 2019
Then the next generation?

Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by thebigkendo(m): 11:59pm On Jul 18, 2019
banky3w:

Look no further, just look at one of our own. Angel eyes? It's called projector headlights.

Ohh... The round round thingies... Euro & Japanese accord had dem from 04

Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by thebigkendo(m): 12:05am On Jul 19, 2019
Even for the North American accord... Is that not the round thingie

Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by banky3w(m): 12:14am On Jul 19, 2019
thebigkendo:

Ohh... The round round thingies... Euro & Japanese accord had dem from 04
Should we talk about the Australian and the Japanese Camry 03-06 too?
Re: Car Repairs You Should Never Try To Do Yourself. by banky3w(m): 12:16am On Jul 19, 2019
thebigkendo:
Even for the North American accord... Is that not the round thingie

grinNope, that's not it sir.... grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

2021 Toyota Sienna - the latest showstopper unveiled / How Did You Buy Your First Car / Which ATF Is Recommended For 1997 Volkswagen Golf (golf 3)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.