Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,426 members, 7,836,709 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:47 AM

Bill Gates Loses His Spot As World’s Second-richest Man - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bill Gates Loses His Spot As World’s Second-richest Man (625 Views)

Dangote Becomes $20m Wealthier, Maintains Spot As Africa’s Richest Man / Abdulsamad Rabiu Becomes Nigeria’s Second Richest Man, Now Worth $7.2 Billion / Bernard Arnault Replaces Bill Gates As World’s Second Richest Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bill Gates Loses His Spot As World’s Second-richest Man by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jul 17, 2019
Bill Gates has never ranked lower than No. 2 in the seven-year history of the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. That run ended Tuesday when the Microsoft Corp. co-founder dropped to No. 3 behind France’s Bernard Arnault.

LVMH, Arnault’s luxury-goods maker, advanced to a record in Paris and pushed his net worth to $107.6 billion and ahead of Gates by more than $200 million. Arnault has added $39 billion to his fortune in 2019 alone, the biggest individual gain by far among the 500 people in Bloomberg’s ranking.

Arnault, 70, joined Gates and Amazon.com Inc. founder Jeff Bezos, the world’s richest person, in the most exclusive wealth club last month, when his fortune surpassed $100 billion for the first time. The trio’s collective wealth exceeds the individual market values of almost every company in the S&P 500 Index, including Walmart Inc., Exxon Mobil Corp. and Walt Disney Co.
This year has been particularly good to French tycoons, with Arnault, Kering SA’s Francois Pinault and cosmetics heir Francoise Bettencourt Meyers tacking on a combined $57 billion.

Arnault and his family are among luxury titans who pledged more than $650 million in April for the reconstruction of Notre Dame Cathedral after fire ravaged the landmark church. He controls about half of Paris-based LVMH through a family holding company and also owns a 97% stake in Christian Dior, the fashion house founded three years before his birth in 1949.

Arnault entered the luxury-goods market in 1984 by acquiring a textile group that owned Christian Dior. Four years later, he sold the company’s other businesses and used the proceeds to buy a controlling stake in LVMH. His art collection of modern and contemporary paintings includes pieces by Jean-Michel Basquiat, Damien Hirst, Maurizio Cattelan, Andy Warhol and Pablo Picasso.

Were it not for Gates’s philanthropic giving, he’d still be the world’s richest person. Gates has donated more than $35 billion to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Bezos’s net worth is up slightly this year to $125 billion, even after reaching a divorce settlement with MacKenzie Bezos that made her the world’s fourth-richest woman.

1 Share

Re: Bill Gates Loses His Spot As World’s Second-richest Man by JIDECAC: 10:25pm On Jul 17, 2019
Hmm
Re: Bill Gates Loses His Spot As World’s Second-richest Man by clive2u(m): 10:31pm On Jul 17, 2019
I wish I could just be number 100 after him
Re: Bill Gates Loses His Spot As World’s Second-richest Man by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jul 17, 2019
clive2u:

grin grin
Re: Bill Gates Loses His Spot As World’s Second-richest Man by Oche211(m): 10:37pm On Jul 17, 2019
Hmmmm....
One vision at a time. I have to first of all dethrone dangote as the richest man in Africa.
Re: Bill Gates Loses His Spot As World’s Second-richest Man by ThothHermes: 10:39pm On Jul 17, 2019
clive2u:
Stop wishing. Start doing.

Let me console you, research has shown that above 75,000 dollars a year, more money does not make you happier grin grin grin

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bill Gates Loses His Spot As World’s Second-richest Man by clive2u(m): 10:41pm On Jul 17, 2019
ThothHermes:

Let me console you, research has shown that above 75,000 dollars a year, more money does not make you happier grin grin grin
let me have the money first
Re: Bill Gates Loses His Spot As World’s Second-richest Man by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 11:07pm On Jul 17, 2019
ThothHermes:

Source or reference to such research
Re: Bill Gates Loses His Spot As World’s Second-richest Man by Donexy16(m): 11:07pm On Jul 17, 2019
clive2u:

Number 500 sef is more than ok for me
Re: Bill Gates Loses His Spot As World’s Second-richest Man by Donexy16(m): 11:10pm On Jul 17, 2019
Bezos is a money wizard
Re: Bill Gates Loses His Spot As World’s Second-richest Man by generationz(f): 12:34am On Jul 18, 2019
My favorite is still Bill gates any day anytime.

His dedication to philanthropy, is awesome.

Even his products always promote affordability over luxury.
Re: Bill Gates Loses His Spot As World’s Second-richest Man by clive2u(m): 9:43am On Jul 18, 2019
Donexy16:

Number 500 sef is more than ok for me
We will get there
Re: Bill Gates Loses His Spot As World’s Second-richest Man by Donexy16(m): 1:28pm On Jul 18, 2019
clive2u:
We will get there

Amen!

(1) (Reply)

These Top Business Ideas For Housewives Cost Less Than N100k To Start / How To Start A Strawberry Farm / Quickcheck launches new app to improve fast access to loans for Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.