Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,740 members, 7,955,825 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:10 PM

Afcon2019: 10 Key Points To Note After Super Eagles Third Place Victory - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Afcon2019: 10 Key Points To Note After Super Eagles Third Place Victory (515 Views)

Nigeria Vs Germany: FIFA U17 Women's WC Third Place Match (3 - 2) pens / AFCON: Nigeria has The Highest Third Place Finishes In AFCON (see) / Tunisia Vs Nigeria: AFCON Third Place (0 - 1) Full Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Afcon2019: 10 Key Points To Note After Super Eagles Third Place Victory by Miscellaneous(m): 11:42pm On Jul 17, 2019
Well, we would have lifted the trophy if not for the maladroit coach. Indubitably, his ineptitude cost us the cherished trophy. However, there are still positives to take from the tournament.

1. African teams are not ready to take centre stage wherever football is the subject of discussion. The Germans, Argentines, Brazilians, French and other continental giants only need to apply pressure on every player and then we fidget, become weary in few minutes and then we break. The Argentines always use this tactics on the SE. The Algerians used that on us. We need to use that on others. We need to employ ghenghen techniques on every man on the pitch till we get the goal. Bully them on field with pace and strength!

2. We do not need "hungry home boys" to play for the super eagles. After earning millions, these boys always see no reason to kick the football with any pinch of alacrity. They have no passion for football and perhaps it is the reason why Omeruo is the only player from the previously assembled "hungry boys" from 2013 afcon. Football was once entertaining when such was fashionable but those days are long gone. When it matters most, experience and confidence will certainly give Africans and super eagles the edge. Evidence of this is seen when many clamoured for osimehin, Onuachu and onyekuru over Ighalo. Providentially, Ighalo was taken off and didnt even play the first half in some games but we all know how it turned out. Ighalo is still our best choice and ironically, by all standards, he is a bad striker!

3. SE need a good assistant coach(must be a Nigerian) to support Gernot Rohr - since he will be retained. The man lacks ability to make spontaneous and smart calls during the game. Who removes Chukwueze and replace with onyekuru at such point in a game? Algerians were not making use of midfield because they knew ndidi and etebo wouldn't allow. They resorted to long crosses inorder to neutralise our midfield but the coach was simply dumbfounded and on his knees begging for mercy. He had no tactics and have been playing teams also without till Algeria tested his grit.

4. Iwobi!! Call him anything... a senseless, useless and wasteful player, anything. He is the best man I could see on the pitch on every occasion. Though I have my reservations about him, I still feel he (and chukwueze) has a lot to offer the team than they did and actually didn't largely due to wrong tactics by the coach or worse, no tactics. Iwobi and chukwueze are promising players who could actually link themselves up in the midfield and forward. The coach has alot to do.

5. Ndidi has proven himself to be a nice "blocking 4." He finally cleared our doubts to the detriment of mikel. However, as with several eagles player, his long passes were not excellent and sometimes I wonder if he saw anyone before making the cross. He needs to work on it if he wants to make a mark in the SE history.

6. Moses simon, Onuachu, Mikel, Musa, Ogu, Akpieyi should drop their boots. Their services were excellent but SE needs to move forward. I find it very difficult to understand want simon is good at and seriously, how did he make the team? Musa, by his afcon display, has finally told us that age has caught up with him. Aside the fact that he surprisingly couldn't net a goal, his passes were extremely poor. He had good runs especially with the SA but to those who take football as a pastime, Musa was just there to add up the numbers. Mikel, as always, was a shadow of himself; Onuachu, like Kanu, is not suited to a team that can't give excellent crosses up front or can't support him with dribbles up front; Akpieyi, well let me not spoil his future.

(1) (Reply)

Man United In Osd(operation Secure My Defence Ahead Of Next Season / Nairaland Fpl Head To Head League / Anthony Joshua Reveals Mistakes In His Shock Defeat To Andy Ruiz Jr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.