Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,625 members, 7,823,749 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

Health Literacy - What Is Drug Therapy All About? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Health Literacy - What Is Drug Therapy All About? (246 Views)

Health Literacy & Contraceptive Use Among Nigerian Adult Population / What Is Drug Abuse? / HEALTH LITERACY - Are You Health Literate? Find Out If You Are Here!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Health Literacy - What Is Drug Therapy All About? by Razlaw(m): 6:49am On Jul 18, 2019
Hello everyone!

Drug therapy also called pharmacotherapy is a general term for using medication to treat disease. It is the widest of therapy use globally.

The method of administration for drug therapy varies depending on the patient and the condition being treated. Medications may be taken orally in pill, capsule or liquid form, or may be injected into the tissues or muscles.

Medications are heavily researched and tested before being prescribed to patients, but may have unanticipated effects when combined with certain foods, herbal remedies, other drugs on even when use properly.

Drugs usually have single beneficial effects (e.g. the reduction of blood pressure(BP) by an ACE inhibitor in a patient with hypertension), but can have several adverse effects (e.g. hypotension, cough, hyperkalaemia, angio-oedema), each with a lower individual incidence than the beneficial effect.

As a function of eradicating disease, many drugs carry side effects which can be minor or at times severe. Here goes the saying “All drugs are poison, the benefit depends on the dosage.”

For optimal treatment outcome and to achieve the desired treatment goals with drug therapy, the healthcare providers need to inform the patient with at least a bare drug information which is referred to as counseling. The counseling information could be in written, verbal or combination of both.

I hope this piece will elevate you one step ahead in a journey to become health literate.
Re: Health Literacy - What Is Drug Therapy All About? by Cormung: 1:16pm On Aug 28, 2019
Hypotension is a huge problem for me. Now I am reading articles about Low Blood Pressure to figure out what's wrong and how do I fix it because I am a bit afraid of visiting a doctor, it's quite scary to find out if you have some serious problems which are hard to solve. Anyway, as I feel worse, I understand that pharmacotherapy may be the only right way for me.

(1) (Reply)

Brassiere(bra) Content Causes Breast Cancer; How True? / Dr. Ashok Rajgopal | Orthopedist In Gurgaon / 7 Benefits When You Stop Drinking Alcohol

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.