Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,616 members, 7,823,698 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

Would You Pay To Use A Browser? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Would You Pay To Use A Browser? (663 Views)

Is It Good To Use A Free Template? / How To Use A Bios Programmer To Flash A Bios / How To Use A Bluetooth Keyboard With Your Android Device (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Would You Pay To Use A Browser? by TheDejiEmpire(m): 8:41am On Jul 20, 2019
This week we learned that Mozilla is planning on releasing a premium version of Firefox in the fall. This brings up many questions, as we are used to having many options for browsers, yet they’re all free.

Are users going to opt to pay for Firefox? Is paying for a browser something everyone is willing to do? Would you pay for a browser?

Our Opinion
Damien reports he is already a Firefox user. But looking at the premium features Mozilla plans to include in their paid version of the browser, he said, “I doubt I will ever pay for it.”

Along the same lines, Fabio says if the browser offered features that he really needed, then he would pay for it. “But they would have to be really useful ones.” He adds that the price would also need to be reasonable.

Andrew is going to take a wait-and-see approach, but the preliminary price point they are mentioning for the premium Firefox of $10 a month is “a little steep for a browser.” He sees it as even a little bit too much for a VPN or backup service. Yet, if it has some cool features that he can’t get with extensions, he’d consider paying $2 to $3 a month of $20 a year, just because he’d want to support them.

Writers Opinion Pay Browser Online

Sayak feels that for a premium browser, “the browsing speed should be blazing fast, and we’ll need VPN-like privacy features and TOR-like anonymity.” He wouldn’t pay for a gimmicky version of privacy but would want to see something more genuine. He also thinks any price point should come with a free thirty-day trial.

Like Damien, Phil is a Firefox user and would consider paying for it if the features were good and it was an “impulse/no-brainer buy,” meaning under $5, a solid VPN, anonymity, etc. He also sees $10/month as a little steep and a little greedy as well, for something that was previously free. He notes that if there are millions of users, at $10/month you may get a few thousand users, but if you make it $2 to $3, you’ll get millions of users. It’s similar to the ebooks he has sold in the past. $10 sells three, but $1 sells 1000.

I fall in with everyone else with the price point and usefulness. I use several browsers. I have one main browser (iCab), but it doesn’t do it all. It does most, so I stick with it, but I still have to use Safari daily and Firefox occasionally. So if I’m paying for it, it better do it ALL. And yes, $10 a month is steep. That’s more than many other useful subscription apps. I shouldn’t pay more for a useful browser than I do for good productivity apps.

Your Opinion

Do you agree with our writers? Would you consider paying for a browser only if it had useful features and only if it were a bit cheaper than $10/month? Would you pay for a browser? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.
Re: Would You Pay To Use A Browser? by Freshguy007(m): 8:59am On Jul 20, 2019
Its surprising, and sounds awkward. But just as Fabio said, if there are really great features to the premium browser that could not be gotten with third party apps or websites, then why won't I?

But the problem is; is it reasonable?

Because why pay for a premium browser when your not likely to use it most times? Well the features would tell. Until then.
Re: Would You Pay To Use A Browser? by Rockrunner: 6:45pm On Jul 20, 2019
I would never pay for using the browser, when I first bought PC to my home it was some internet explorer or so anyway. And I though I really need to pay for use it, not for internet access but I thought I need to pay some money and application will work simply, LOL at me simplywink

(1) (Reply)

Laptop Sales! Laptop Sales!! Laptop Sales!!! / Operate Your PC Fast With Windows 10 Shortcut Keys 2019 / "Disappointed" Singer Dr SID Shares Throwback To 2 Years Ago When He Was Slim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.