Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,155 members, 7,849,584 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 04:03 AM

Democracy In Nigeria: See The Pillars Of Democracy In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Democracy In Nigeria: See The Pillars Of Democracy In Nigeria (392 Views)

Is Dave Umahi Most Hardworking Governor In Nigeria See Pictures ? / How A Youth Corper 'Spelt Nigeria'. See Reactions / Senator Shehu Sani Identifies 15 Threats To Democracy In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Democracy In Nigeria: See The Pillars Of Democracy In Nigeria by Bscholarly: 10:46am On Jul 22, 2019
No state can be called a true democratic state if the essential pillars of democracy are not present in that state. The pillars of democracy are those theories/principles a state must practice to foster democracy. In Nigeria for instance, we claim that we practice democracy to the core, but it is apparent that some of the pillars of democracy are not present in our government. The question then is; what are the pillars of the kind of democracy practiced in Nigeria if the true pillars of democracy are cannot be seen in our system?

Frankly speaking, no state can be said to be democratic until the pillars of democracy are taking seriously. In fact, there is no democracy without its pillars. It is the pillars of democracy that ensure that a true democracy is practiced. In this article, i will highlight some of the pillars of democracy. Accordingly, i will explain each of the pillars to give you a comprehensive knowledge of how all these pillars help in a democratic state.

On this note, if you have been asked to research on the pillars of democracy (as a student) or you are just a philosopher who wants to gain more knowledge, i enjoin you to read this article till the end. Trust me; you will enjoy reading this article. Meanwhile, before i move into the kernel of this article, i would like to explain briefly; what the term "democracy" is. So what is democracy?

What is democracy?

According to Wikipedia, democracy is a system of government where citizens are allowed to exercise their power by voting. Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865) defined democracy as the government of the people, by the people, for the people. By this, Abraham Lincoln was trying to say that in a democratic state, the citizens are the Supreme.

It is worthy to note that, there are two types of democracy namely; direct democracy and representative democracy. Direct democracy is a kind of democracy where the citizens are allowed to participate in the decision making of the state directly. On the other hand, representative democracy is a kind of democracy where citizens elect a particular person to make political decisions on their behalf.

Now that you know what democracy is all about, i will now go into the crux of this article.

Pillars of democracy

Below are the pillars of democracy:

1. Separation of power;
2. Rule of law;
3. Freedom of the press;
4. Accountability of the government;
5. Independence of the judiciary;
6. Equality before the law;
7. Equal representation in government
;

Yeah! Those are
Re: Democracy In Nigeria: See The Pillars Of Democracy In Nigeria by donbachi(m): 10:55am On Jul 22, 2019
We built ours with just ordinary sharp sand with no cement added to it.
Re: Democracy In Nigeria: See The Pillars Of Democracy In Nigeria by Bella55555(f): 10:58am On Jul 22, 2019
The pillars of democracy in Nigeria are as follows:
1) Olusegun Obasanjo
2) Bola Ahmed Tinubu
3) the rest of them
grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

"President Buhari�s Administration Will Be More Productive" Says Sen. George / Gombe Governor Releases N500m Counterpart Funds To Worldbank For Erosion Control / Drama: Lawmakers Flee As Snake Falls From Roof During Plenary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.