Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,714 members, 7,824,023 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

The Chief's Briefcase - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Chief's Briefcase (400 Views)

Governor Obiano's Chief Press Secretary Wins ANA Poetry Prize / English Version Of Chief Daniel Orowole Olorunfẹmi Fagunwa / Story Time With Chief Agbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Chief's Briefcase by TemmyT002(m): 11:24am On Jul 22, 2019
An order came from the Inspector General to commissioners and DPOs that inspectors should be sent to the police stations in closed areas in order to monitor proceedings.

Detective Kolapo’s boss sent him to an estate in Ibadan to inspect the police station there. On a Saturday, he followed three policemen on patrol. They set up a form of roadblock in the entrance of the estate, just beside the large gates.

In the afternoon, an eighteen-sitter bus approached the roadblock. It looked new. In front of the bus was an attached cloth banner on which was written: EGBE OMOLUABI CELEBRATES WITH KUNLE AND BIMPE ON THEIR WEDDING DAY.

On the sides of the bus was written EGBE OMOLUABI, and in the bus were ten men and two women putting on the same beautiful traditional attire. On the attire was written, HAPPY MARRIED LIFE.

Kolapo and a police officer walked up to them. The officer spoke, “Hello, where are you people going?”

A handsome man sitting in front spoke up. “One of the members of our association is getting married today and we are going to celebrate him.”

“Hmm, you people dey enjoy o. Bring food for us when coming back o,” the officer said.

The passengers in the bus laughed. As they made to drive on, Kolapo asked them. “If you are going to a wedding party, where are the gifts for the newlyweds?”

The passengers looked at one another. Then one of the women brought out a large wrapped box and showed it to Kolapo. Kolapo nodded and the police officer waved them on.

The driver of the bus continued to check the side mirror as they drove away. After the bus had gone out of sight of the cops, one of the women said, “Shit. Shebi you said the police will not come out today.”

“That was what I was told too,” the leader of the association said.

“What if that stupid policeman had opened the gift?”

“Well, he didn’t. Let’s keep together and follow the plan. By evening, we will all be rich.”

The bus stopped in front of a mansion. The leader stepped out of the bus and carried a wrapped box. He knocked the gate.

The gateman slid open a little aperture and peeped. “Yes, what do you want?”

“I have a present for the chief from his club. Come out, I can’t carry it alone.”

“But who are you?” The gateman asked again.

“See, don’t waste my time o. I will call the president of the club and he will fine your boss for wasting my time. I have other places to go.”

The gateman grumbled and opened the small gate. Immediately the gate opened, the leader punched the gateman in the face and stepped inside. He brought out a pistol and pointed it at the gateman. “Open the gate before I blow your brains.”

“Ha. Ori iya mi o,” the gateman cried as he opened the bigger gates. The bus drove inside. The compound was quiet.

When the gates were closed, all the passengers in the bus got out, stretched their muscles and began to open the gifts. They brought out guns of different types. Ten of them ran into the building while two stayed with the gateman.

In the building, they rounded up all the frightened occupants and brought them to the sitting room. The leader placed his gun against a little girl. “Chief, we heard you brought home 25million naira last night. Bring it out before I shoot the girl. See, I have killed 24 people ever since I was born and I want to reach fifty, so don’t waste my time.”

The chief didn’t waste time. He led the robbers to the safe where his briefcase was kept and showed them the money in the briefcase. “Good of you,” the leader said. “I would have killed you but no one knows the future. You could bring more money home next time.” He faced his people. “Tie them all up. Time is going.”

Kolapo was still thinking about the bus. As he sat with the officers, drinking garri and listening to one of his songs, he suddenly asked. “Was there supposed to be a wedding ceremony in this estate today?”

The officers looked at each other. “Maybe. We don’t know o.”

“Give me the chairman’s phone number.”

Kolapo called the phone number of the chairman of the estate.

“Hello,” a voice said.

“Hello sir, this is Detective Kolapo. We are patrolling your estate sir.”

“Oh hello sir. I hope there is no problem?”

“Not really sir. I just wanted to confirm if there is a wedding ceremony in the estate today.”

“As the chairman of the estate, I would know if there was any celebration no matter how small. No sir, there is no wedding ceremony today.”

“Are you sure about that sir? Perhaps the celebrants forgot to tell you.”

“No sir. We are very careful of allowing strangers into the estate so we need to know if people were coming for any celebration. I am hundred percent certain that there is no wedding ceremony. Why do you ask sir?”

“Nothing much. I will get back to you later.” Kolapo hung up. He faced his men. “I think we have been scammed. That bus is probably full of armed robbers. Be vigilant.

As the bus approached the roadblock, the leader said, “Bring out the food.”

One of the women brought out a nylon full of takeaways. A policeman waved at them. It was the one who had asked for the gifts earlier.

“Sir, you asked for food. We brought takeaways for you,” the leader said.

“Thanks but we don’t want your food. Step out of the bus, please. All of you.”

The leader noticed that the other policemen were not smiling and that they held their guns like they were ready to shoot. They know, he thought. They are only four. We are twelve.

He brought out his gun and fired at the policeman.

Kolapo had stylishly checked the inside of the bus to make sure there were no hostages. He saw the man bringing out a gun. He dodged and rolled away. The bullets missed his head by inches. “Shoot,” he screamed as he dived into the gutter.

The police officers opened fire on the bus as the occupants brought out their own guns. It was over in thirty seconds.

Kolapo got out of the gutter, smelling terribly. Of all the occupants of the bus, only five were still alive. “Call the ambulance,” Kolapo said.

He called EFCC agents and handed over the briefcase full of money to them. This was the beginning of another investigation against the chief. The question was: Where did he get the money?

Source: https://opinionsandstories.com/the-chiefs-briefcase-a-fiction/

(1) (Reply)

His Golden Secrets Episode 1 / Scars Of Love / Colorless Rainbow - Episode 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.